IMC-19.jpg
IMC-54.jpg
IMC-55.jpg
IMC-57.jpg
IMC-58.jpg

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Very nice and looking forward to the final pictures.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Whats the toneau cover made out of? is it glass or is it fabricated?

That entire thing is beyond clean.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I love those C-10 short beds.....wish I still had mine.

82daytona

Reaction score
Gah’lee [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Nice looking project!!!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Beautiful! What size big block?

Btw.... The steering column is top notch! Lol!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Very nice. You guys do everything pretty much fist class.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
Cant wait to see more and the story. Shop looks bitchen too!!

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
So here is some of the story. Dad and I have always been into 67-72 chevy trucks. I had one in HS and got another one (a red SWB) about 6 years ago and sold it not too much later. When I was young Dad had a C-20 that got stolen from our driveway. So after I got mine 6 years ago, he picked this up from a customer of ours who wanted to build it but knew he didn't have the time. It had a matte black paint job, interior was decent and it had a 383 in it. Dad bought it for a "driver". Yeah right, nothing my Dad owns ever stays in a mediocre condition, it has to be the best he can make it. And so it was with this truck. He already had the black '62 Impala (seen in background and in another post or two here on RDP) and he had a '68 SWB project that was planned to "lay frame", and he had the '62 Impala Pro Street project that I recently sold un-finished. So he starts tearing it apart and realizes it was a chopped frame (fake short-bed) so he finds a donor frame. Buys that and mocks up the roller the way he wants it with all the Porterbuilt Suspension parts for this to still be a "mild" build and a daily driver. He sells the 383 and works a deal to get the 454 that is in it. I saw the dyno video and the HP is above 450. Plenty of power.

My Dad is not a fabricator. I consider him more like the designer, architect and GC if you relate it to construction terms. All of the PB suspension is bolt on so he got the roller all mocked up and placed the bags, compressor mounts and what not. He wanted it to go as low as it could without having to modify the bed floor or wheel tubs. Once roller was done with all he could do he transferred the cab, front end and bed over to the new frame and got the body guys involved. They pinned the door hinges so realignment would be less painful. Cut out the dash in the cab all because the radio hole was cut and had his fab guy, Leonard weld in the replacement dash. Leonard also custom fabbed the bed cover. After all body panels were done he tore it all down and sent body to body shop (Canyon Paint and Body in Brea) and frame and suspension to powder coat (Pac Coast Powder in Palmdale). The core support and front fenders got powder coat as well along with high temp body filler where needed to make them straight. When all the parts started coming back in, he reassembled. Reassembly started about the same time that I bought the family business from him, Jan 2015. It was a tough time for him and I which was rare for us. We worked together for 17 years and were best friends. I was 38 and he was 65. The truck was a blessing because it gave him something to do in his new found retirement. Previously he'd been working 1-2 days a week on it and some nights. So he built it all back up and got it to the state of most of these pics. In April of 2017 he passed away. I have many memories with him near the end that involved this truck. Last bit he did on it was the dash panel. He designed it and had just gotten it back from polisher, so proud of it, it was the last thing he and I discussed in his shop, unknowingly a few weeks before his passing. Literally on hospital bed day before he passed, he gave me explicit instructions regarding all toys and projects. Part of it was for me to buy the truck from the estate and finish it and so I'm doing just that. He told me to sell other projects, sell Hallett 240 and sell '62 Black Impala. We kept Impala, Mom still owns it and I am caretaker of it. Sidebar: My older brother and I trailered Impala to Pasadena and (after a little teaching) got little bro (late 20's) to drive it for his wedding day a year ago, great tribute to Dad. Other than that we take it out about once or twice a year for shows.

So for the last 2 and a half years I've been working on the truck. I hung the doors, mounted the dash panel, contracted wiring, contracted all hardline and rear disc conversion (to Bent Performance in Chatsworth per Dad's instructions). I put steering column in with the help of my Dad's long time friend and co-builder on this truck, Alan Dekoning. I've used Dad's lift and Dad's tools to do the work. Even tapped into some of Dad's knowledge along the way, I feel he's with me and helps me sometimes. Well, I have done a lot in 2.5 years but not enough. I want it done and I want to drive it with my kids to remember Dad/Grandpa. I have more resources than time so I have sent it off to a shop to get finished. My goal is to have it complete and at it's first show in May of 2020. The builder is confident it can happen. Trying to take it to the C-10 Nationals in Fort Worth Texas, figured that would be a great debut of the truck.

Thanks for reading the story. I'll try to add more tidbits along the way.

Tank

Reaction score
So here is some of the story. Dad and I have always been into 67-72 chevy trucks. I had one in HS and got another one (a red SWB) about 6 years ago and sold it not too much later. When I was young Dad had a C-20 that got stolen from our driveway. So after I got mine 6 years ago, he picked this up from a customer of ours who wanted to build it but knew he didn't have the time. It had a matte black paint job, interior was decent and it had a 383 in it. Dad bought it for a "driver". Yeah right, nothing my Dad owns ever stays in a mediocre condition, it has to be the best he can make it. And so it was with this truck. He already had the black '62 Impala (seen in background and in another post or two here on RDP) and he had a '68 SWB project that was planned to "lay frame", and he had the '62 Impala Pro Street project that I recently sold un-finished. So he starts tearing it apart and realizes it was a chopped frame (fake short-bed) so he finds a donor frame. Buys that and mocks up the roller the way he wants it with all the Porterbuilt Suspension parts for this to still be a "mild" build and a daily driver. He sells the 383 and works a deal to get the 454 that is in it. I saw the dyno video and the HP is above 450. Plenty of power.

My Dad is not a fabricator. I consider him more like the designer, architect and GC if you relate it to construction terms. All of the PB suspension is bolt on so he got the roller all mocked up and placed the bags, compressor mounts and what not. He wanted it to go as low as it could without having to modify the bed floor or wheel tubs. Once roller was done with all he could do he transferred the cab, front end and bed over to the new frame and got the body guys involved. They pinned the door hinges so realignment would be less painful. Cut out the dash in the cab all because the radio hole was cut and had his fab guy, Leonard weld in the replacement dash. Leonard also custom fabbed the bed cover. After all body panels were done he tore it all down and sent body to body shop (Canyon Paint and Body in Brea) and frame and suspension to powder coat (Pac Coast Powder in Palmdale). The core support and front fenders got powder coat as well along with high temp body filler where needed to make them straight. When all the parts started coming back in, he reassembled. Reassembly started about the same time that I bought the family business from him, Jan 2015. It was a tough time for him and I which was rare for us. We worked together for 17 years and were best friends. I was 38 and he was 65. The truck was a blessing because it gave him something to do in his new found retirement. Previously he'd been working 1-2 days a week on it and some nights. So he built it all back up and got it to the state of most of these pics. In April of 2017 he passed away. I have many memories with him near the end that involved this truck. Last bit he did on it was the dash panel. He designed it and had just gotten it back from polisher, so proud of it, it was the last thing he and I discussed in his shop, unknowingly a few weeks before his passing. Literally on hospital bed day before he passed, he gave me explicit instructions regarding all toys and projects. Part of it was for me to buy the truck from the estate and finish it and so I'm doing just that. He told me to sell other projects, sell Hallett 240 and sell '62 Black Impala. We kept Impala, Mom still owns it and I am caretaker of it. Sidebar: My older brother and I trailered Impala to Pasadena and (after a little teaching) got little bro (late 20's) to drive it for his wedding day a year ago, great tribute to Dad. Other than that we take it out about once or twice a year for shows.

So for the last 2 and a half years I've been working on the truck. I hung the doors, mounted the dash panel, contracted wiring, contracted all hardline and rear disc conversion (to Bent Performance in Chatsworth per Dad's instructions). I put steering column in with the help of my Dad's long time friend and co-builder on this truck, Alan Dekoning. I've used Dad's lift and Dad's tools to do the work. Even tapped into some of Dad's knowledge along the way, I feel he's with me and helps me sometimes. Well, I have done a lot in 2.5 years but not enough. I want it done and I want to drive it with my kids to remember Dad/Grandpa. I have more resources than time so I have sent it off to a shop to get finished. My goal is to have it complete and at it's first show in May of 2020. The builder is confident it can happen. Trying to take it to the C-10 Nationals in Fort Worth Texas, figured that would be a great debut of the truck.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Sorry for your loss. Sounds like pops was a fantastic person. I would've loved for my dad to have had a passion for cars and do stuff like that while growing up. Next best thing is to pass it onto the next generation (which you're also doing). Very cool.
Can't wait to see it complete.

And again, that impala!! Drooooooooool.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Beautiful story, thank you for writing it. The truck is awesome, but the relationship you and your dad had is incredible too.

Like Tank said, I can't wait to see it done also. :bowdown:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
That is awesome!!!! You are doing a great job for the family. We have a 71 Chevelle convert that my grandfather gave to our son before my grandfather died. One day soon I hope to be doing a frame off as well. Please post up photos once completed.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
super nice. story makes it even better. thanks for sharing the story. being a gearhead, in which my dad is not, you're very fortunate to have gotten to spend quality time with each other doing something you both love.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The truck is beyond cool. A top notch build anyone should be happy to have.

The story and the reasons for the build are really the things that got me. Damn, tearing up like a little...nevermind. When I was young, Pops was impressed by what I did with cars, but worked all the time, so he rarely turned a wrench. When he retired, I was working all the time...very "Cat's In The Cradle" deal. Before I knew it, there wasn't time left.

You have the truck and the story to be proud of. It sounds like your Dad has some kids to be proud of too!

tony

Reaction score
Simply awesome thanks for sharing. Your father and you have great taste in boats and vehicles...

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Nice build, where did you put the fuel fill ?
I'm doing a '67 and debating on putting it in the tail light or bed floor

stoker22405

Reaction score
Bed floor is easiest.....But tail light is the cleanest way....Post some pics

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score

Above post is correct, bed floor. The bed and the entire cab interior is coated with a Lizard Skin material before paint. I think the main goal there was vibration absorption and along with that sound and possibly some heat barrier (though the cab has separate heat shield wrap). The builder who is finishing it asked me about doing a wood bed floor. I wasn't keen on it because the flush bed cover is really the "highlight" of the bed. I will have the interior guy do a custom cut carpet mat for the bed with a flip cutout for the gas door. What is ironic about the gas door in the bed is that it's less accessible than in the tail light. The bed is a pain in a "daily driver" which is what original intention was for this build, but with it now built more like a show quality truck and will be driven less (but still driven) the bed gas fill isn't that big of a deal because we won't have to fill up as much as a daily driver.

The bed cover plan and the carpet insert are the reasons the bed floor was never replaced or had the dents removed.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Getting pretty close to completion. One photo is just a rendering so of course it's PERFECT, but still awesome look. Final product will have the lower trim and badge as in rendering so it's not completely false advertising.

Current state, it left build shop last week and is at interior shop. Probably be there for a month or so. I'll post more final pics when it's done.

Attachments

• JBC_C10_ColorRender9.jpg
    JBC_C10_ColorRender9.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_3392.JPG
    IMG_3392.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 510

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Looks awesome! Glad you got to follow through with your dad’s wishes.

Good luck with the debut.

Trying to decide if I want to keep mine a ‘70 or make it a’68.

707dog

Reaction score
That thing is over the top sick!

I'm kind'a drooling over that 62 Impala in the background though! :cool:
lol...truck is badass but my eye got redirected to the 62 instantly... @J DUNN not to steal the fire and story from pops truck but can you throw me & tank a bone post a couple of the 62😎(own one myself)

***my slow ass didn't look at the post date sorry for the delayed reaction

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
lol...truck is badass but my eye got redirected to the 62 instantly... @J DUNN not to steal the fire and story from pops truck but can you throw me & tank a bone post a couple of the 62😎(own one myself)

***my slow ass didn't look at the post date sorry for the delayed reaction

What, this old thing? LOL. This was the car Dad built before he started the truck. This is worthy of it's own thread. In process now of buying this from Mom so it will stay in the family. Just had all air ride upgraded to Accu-air E-level like the truck has. Here's a few teaser shots.

IMG_7863.PNG
IMG_7865.PNG
IMG_7876.JPG
IMC-2.jpg
IMC-42.jpg
IMC-48.jpg

bocco

Reaction score
Damn. Your dad was a visionary. So cool that you could keep these in the family.

707dog

Reaction score
What, this old thing? LOL. This was the car Dad built before he started the truck. This is worthy of it's own thread. In process now of buying this from Mom so it will stay in the family. Just had all air ride upgraded to Accu-air E-level like the truck has. Here's a few teaser shots.

View attachment 859354 View attachment 859355 View attachment 859356 View attachment 859357 View attachment 859358 View attachment 859359
Fn BADASS she is beaut... mines a hooptie compared to that...

Tank

Reaction score
That impala is a dream car for me (except rag top). Done exactly that style. Absolutely STUNNING.

sintax

Reaction score
Very nice build. a whole lot of hours into it.

hah this guy would know!

I was thinking the same thing though, nice attention to detail and a shit ton of hours. I really like the color choices, non-conventional but clean and nice.