WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Damn it!

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
You take your boat in for service......double or triple what you think it will cost. Maybe even more.......

guest hs

Reaction score
Some people are happy when they’re unhappy but I would make his ass pay regardless. By the way the spectra looks amazing! What’s the name of your shop so I can help those 5 star reviews 😉. Stand your ground man you did a solid so expect it back!
Havasu Marine Specialties

guest hs

Reaction score
This is terrible business advice. You never, ever let someone off the hook for your hard work.

If you do, the word will spread that you are a fucking pussy to be taken advantage of. Then guess what?

Every 5th customer will EXPECT to get let off the hook if they make a stink. Word spreads in those piece of shit friendships, they will swarm you.
I took what’s known as the high road on this one. I let my guard down because I knew this guy and have done lots of business with him. I guarantee it won’t happen a second time!

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
You went way above and beyond on this. Your reputation proceeds you, don't worry about your internet approval rating, it will be just fine.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I took what’s known as the high road on this one. I let my guard down because I knew this guy and have done lots of business with him. I guarantee it won’t happen a second time!
A friend of a friend is often times not a friend.....sorry to hear it went this way for you.

Xtreme1

Reaction score
A friend of a friend is often times not a friend.....sorry to hear it went this way for you.
Shane.... you need to let Diana handle him.. your way too nice buddy!

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Shane,your return just from this thread will be incredible over the years. Obviously from posted comments you are right up there with Robinson Automotive.

C08H18

Reaction score
I wouldn’t take everything off, just the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well I just had my first blow up with a customer at my shop since I opened. Guy I know comes in brings his friends boat in yesterday at noon. Acts like a big shot, starts rattling stuff off. Oil change on the engine, drive shower, duel battery system, new impeller (bravo). I get the boat done in less then 24 hours for him. The bill is $1405 parts and labor out the door. The guy explodes and thinks it should have been around $500. I offered to charge him parts only just to keep him happy. He doesn’t want that either, he wants me to take everything off instead. I told him just take the boat completely free of charge and don’t come back. He’s not even happy with that. I had to park his boat out on the street because he asked if I would do anything to it since this happened. Wow ! Well I’m sure my five star Google review is screwed now.

This isn’t how you do business... unless ya don’t want to be in business very long. 😳
Tell that guy to call three shops in town for an estimate of the work performed. Then tell him to pay the bill.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Well I just had my first blow up with a customer at my shop since I opened. Guy I know comes in brings his friends boat in yesterday at noon. Acts like a big shot, starts rattling stuff off. Oil change on the engine, drive shower, duel battery system, new impeller (bravo). I get the boat done in less then 24 hours for him. The bill is $1405 parts and labor out the door. The guy explodes and thinks it should have been around $500. I offered to charge him parts only just to keep him happy. He doesn’t want that either, he wants me to take everything off instead. I told him just take the boat completely free of charge and don’t come back. He’s not even happy with that. I had to park his boat out on the street because he asked if I would do anything to it since this happened. Wow ! Well I’m sure my five star Google review is screwed now.

Fuck that guy. Take your parts back. What a dipshit.

Icky

Reaction score
So how much to service a boat and the injectors.

guest hs

Reaction score
This isn’t how you do business... unless ya don’t want to be in business very long. 😳
Tell that guy to call three shops in town for an estimate of the work performed. Then tell him to pay the bill.
If you read through this post you would have seen that I offered him that. I may be new to business in a Havasu but not in general I ran 2 very successful boat shops in Vegas for the past 25 years and was a tech prior to that for 7 years before that. This was a decision I decided was the best for me and my reputation at this moment in time.

Zed

Reaction score
If you read through this post you would have seen that I offered him that. I may be new to business in a Havasu but not in general I ran 2 very successful boat shops in Vegas for the past 25 years and was a tech prior to that for 7 years before that. This was a decision I decided was the best for me and my reputation at this moment in time.
Sometimes a boss needs to fire a customer.

guest hs

Reaction score
You should post a photo of the boat that way all the other shops in town have a heads up. This world is full of assholes, sorry that happened..
As much as I would like to I’m going to take the high road on this one like I said earlier.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Well, both the dude and his friend can go get “fucked” elsewhere next time

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I did read the post.. I wasn’t suggesting “offering him” that.. lol. I was saying stand your ground.
with parts and labor that sounds extremely fair to me.. I’d expect it to be more.

If you are done dealing with people that don’t pay their bills I still need those actuators looked at. 🤪

Shane,your return just from this thread will be incredible over the years. Obviously from posted comments you are right up there with Robinson Automotive.
Well you probably earned some business from this situation. Keep moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

look the thread is already workin with paying customers! 😜

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
Someone say BOLO?
36F5AD95-046A-4B2E-A105-4209AE3F2ABA.jpeg

River Runnin

Reaction score
This is terrible business advice. You never, ever let someone off the hook for your hard work.

If you do, the word will spread that you are a fucking pussy to be taken advantage of. Then guess what?

Every 5th customer will EXPECT to get let off the hook if they make a stink. Word spreads in those piece of shit friendships, they will swarm you.
Sounds like there was NO signed agreement!

guest hs

Reaction score
I did read the post.. I wasn’t suggesting “offering him” that.. lol. I was saying stand your ground.
with parts and labor that sounds extremely fair to me.. I’d expect it to be more.

If you are done dealing with people that don’t pay their bills I still need those actuators looked at. 🤪

look the thread is already workin with paying customers! 😜
It was never my intention but I have to admit, I can’t believe how many incredible members here reached out to me with support and and wanting service done. Can’t thank you all enough! Sounds like I made the correct decision I thank my Dad for teaching me to have a level head and make rational decisions.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
It was never my intention but I have to admit, I can’t believe how many incredible members here reached out to me with support and and wanting service done. Can’t thank you all enough! Sounds like I made the correct decision I thank my Dad for teaching me to have a level head and make rational decisions.

Level Head!! Accomplishes way more than Swearing, Ranting, and Threats.

He Can never saything Negative towards you.👍

Justfishing

Reaction score
Are your labor rates fair? Are your parts markups in a nornal range? Is your work top notch. I suspect the total bill is reasonable. To get a boat back in 24 hours is extaordinary.

As a businessman you have to set your rates and stand your ground. I see it as unprofessional to get visibly upset and then offer major concessions or to tell him to take it at no charge.

Let the customer know your rates are fair. Let him come to his own conclusion as to if he is coming back. Although he may have had unrealistic expectations of cost he may very well use you again. Next time you know to give him an expectation of costs and he will have a better idea of what to expect.

It is hard to find quality work at reasonable rates . I wouldnt be surprised to see him back after he realizes he gor good service at a fair price.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
He said he didn’t care how much it was just do it I have done business with him for years in Vegas.

Honestly your pricing seems more than fair on the deal IMO. It sounds like you actually cut him a bit of a deal...i would have expected more with the battery system, drive shower, and other parts/time.

Guy just sounds like a douche, and unfortunately you will run into that. I have a couple of shit customers a year. He owes it, make sure you get paid..also you had it done in under 24 hours...has he been to havasu before? lol

Just keep doing you and the cards will fall where they do. I really only deal with two shops in Havasu, one more than the other.. They don't screw me, and I pretty much know what the bill's going to be when i pick up my boat. Going forward maybe do some estimate doc on stuff like this...even when it's a regular.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Years ago I did a tile job for this rich 'nightmare' basket-case lady. I do 'all float work / mud work', no backer-board bullshit. Nice work.
She had a bunch of different shit she needed done and wanted to pay me time and materials . . . fine.
She drove some high-end porsche boxter convertible . . . and she was so spun, she'd throw tools, drywall scraps, plumbing crap in it, all sorts of shit, total Fred Sanford rig.
Anyways . . . I'd turn in my hours / receipts every friday and she'd pay me no problem. . . . until the end.
I was almost done with the job, maybe 2-3 days left, and she started questioning my hours & receipts.
I lost my shit and said, "In all my YEARS of doing this, do you know how many people have ever questioned my integrity"???? . . . she went silent and just stared at me . . . I said, "Well . . . congratulations, you're the first, you can find someone else to finish this shit". . . packed up my tools and split.
The 'General Contractor' called me laughing his ass off . . . he was surprised I made it as long as I did.
He said that she broke down crying, and had a complete meltdown. Then later, she tried to finish the tile work herself and things got REAL ugly.
So yeah . . . I get that sometimes it's best to cut your losses, especially when it comes to integrity and principle.

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
Not always true . Im still dealing with a shitty pool company and if people had posted there true stories i would not be 10 months in and still getting fucked ! In this case i dont understand how a decent human would not feel they owe something for there boat service even if they felt the number was out of line . Thats just f up .

Jesus Christ man.don't you live IN, or Close to the desert ???That should be easy digging...

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
Are your labor rates fair? Are your parts markups in a nornal range? Is your work top notch. I suspect the total bill is reasonable. To get a boat back in 24 hours is extaordinary.

As a businessman you have to set your rates and stand your ground. I see it as unprofessional to get visibly upset and then offer major concessions or to tell him to take it at no charge.

Let the customer know your rates are fair. Let him come to his own conclusion as to if he is coming back. Although he may have had unrealistic expectations of cost he may very well use you again. Next time you know to give him an expectation of costs and he will have a better idea of what to expect.

It is hard to find quality work at reasonable rates . I wouldnt be surprised to see him back after he realizes he gor good service at a fair price.

Then crack the fuckwad in the larynx !!!!!

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
In 40 years of building, I had to threaten more than one dicklicker, to get the money...

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I can’t do business that way I need to sleep at night. The money is not the issue. I’m not going to take parts off of the boat I just put on that’s an entire other situation there that could open up a big bag of worms.

So I need the same work done on my boat. Promise I will be happy with it until it’s done of course! Lol. Just kidding.

All seriousness, when running my branches I always tell my staff and practice never function off of fear. Fear that someone will quite or file a complaint with department of health services. Different entity of course but same concept, never function off of fear. You lose ever time if you do.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

You did the right thing...

👍

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I'm a contractor that fixes condos. Bid jobs, bids go to meetings, board members either approve or not, and I never really hear any feedback if they don't accept it.

That said I also do the occasional private job and 95% of those are referrals. Even though someone I know referred this person I still bid high with a long lead time.

Reason...feel out their reaction. If they loose their shit, they made the right decision for me. If they are cool then we start working on reality and they sign the estimate. This practice has maybe lost 1/2 or more of those private jobs but I didn't have to give labor away to get them to pay.

And yes I do occasionally get Fucked by HOA's when the job exceeds projected Lawyer fees. What a game life is.

Self employed since I was 19.

mbrown2

Reaction score
That sux...although your response was maybe not the popular one....it is the one that hopefully helps you sleep easier at night. What a turd....specifically since you have dealt with them before.

DLC

Reaction score
Well it’s not your problem any more! The guy was a jerk! A lot of times it’s easier to just cut your losses and move on!

There are are always lessons to be learned and this is just one more lesson, I’m self employed and have to remember why I work and need to follow MY rules so I don’t get screwed.

Some people spend way to much time trying to get something for nothing than working and paying for it.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
It can be a tough situation on both sides. As the shop owner, it sounds like you did everything you can to deal with a customer who had unrealistic expectations on what this work should cost.

As a customer, I pay my bill when I get service work done. In the rare occasion when there is something that is not expected, I will bring it to the shop's attention and let them decide how they want to handle it. If I'm not satisfied with the response, I pay my bill and take my business elsewhere in the future.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
It can be a tough situation on both sides. As the shop owner, it sounds like you did everything you can to deal with a customer who had unrealistic expectations on what this work should cost.
My thoughts led me to believe the dude was a 2020 summer covid boat buyer and did not know what the B.O.A.T. accronym stands for, he probably just rode for free with his buddy who brought the boat in for him(probably for free too).
I could be wrong but it fits the scenario.

DLC

Reaction score
I bet ya the jerk calls you next year to do the service! The customer also has a responsibility to make sure the repair is within his budget / means to pay for it.
Every service place is at least $100 hr plus, the scope of work a good 6-8 maybe 10 hrs of work with hiccups / problems that along is $800 to 1,000 plus parts....

Socalx09

Reaction score
Well adding into how helpful @namba860 is-

The usual shop my dad takes his boat was not feeling very reliable anymore. Boats been there for a few weeks and decided I needed to get the boat to a different place asap. After recommendations from others. I decided to message him and get the boat over there. Got the boat to his shop today and I no longer have anxiety over it, and trust what Shane will say needs to be done.

4Waters

Reaction score
Well adding into how helpful @namba860 is-

The usual shop my dad takes his boat was not feeling very reliable anymore. Boats been there for a few weeks and decided I needed to get the boat to a different place asap. After recommendations from others. I decided to message him and get the boat over there. Got the boat to his shop today and I no longer have anxiety over it, and trust what Shane will say needs to be done.
You made a smart move 👍👍