WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Damn Pan bolts

rightytighty

Reaction score
The pan bolts on my engine keep loosening up. It's pita to tighten while in the boat due to no room. And I frickin' hate the little oil leaks, when loose...

Dart BBC with 10 Qt Armando's pan, if that matters.

Engine is currently out, so now is the time.

I wanna safety wire the bolts, so I'm looking for drilled pan bolts. Does any body sell them drilled, or am I going to have to have it done at a machine shop??

Thanks much!

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
Aircraft bolts are drilled for safety wire. Google them.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Try Allen's Fasteners. Boater and overall asshole personality. He's old school and responds best to a fax order. He does have an on line web page.

Be well versed in exactly what you want and if he has it, he ships daily.

CC

Edit: AllensFasteners.com I looked aorund and found some socket head bolts that are drilled. I entered drilled bolts into the search function on his webiste and came up with a half dozen or so but don't know the bolt size that you need.

82daytona

Reaction score
Try Allen's Fasteners. Boater and overall asshole personality. He's old school and responds best to a fax order. He does have an on line web page.

Be well versed in exactly what you want and if he has it, he ships daily.

CC

He's a giant asshole! But has almost everything you need.

rightytighty

Reaction score
He is a boating friend but admits to being the asshole that he really tries to be.....:D

Some are suggesting studs/nuts.. Wouldn't that loosen over time the way a bolt does?

If studs would work, would be way less PITA than safety wired bolts.

Thanks all for the help. Appreciate the suggestion and link to Allen's. I'll always support the boater first. I'm sure A-hole is friendly code for "up front" .

Most of my friends are "up front". :D

Boat Anchor

Reaction score
Hey Neil, If you decide to go the drilled for safety wire route, I wold be happy to drill the bolts for you. I have a indexing head for my mill which makes the job quite easy. Twelve point headed bolts would be best as the heads are thicker than hex headed bolts and easy to debur. Socket head cap screws (alan bolts) will work as well. Sometimes it can be tricky to debur the hole where it breaks through into the hex/socket portion of a socket head cap screw and that can prevent the alan wrench fitting into the socket properly. I've got safety wire and a pair of aircraft twisting safety wire pliers you can borrow. Let me know.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Some are suggesting studs/nuts.. Wouldn't that loosen over time the way a bolt does?

If studs would work, would be way less PITA than safety wired bolts.

Thanks all for the help. Appreciate the suggestion and link to Allen's. I'll always support the boater first. I'm sure A-hole is friendly code for "up front" .

Most of my friends are "up front". :D

Sent you a PM with my phone number in case you had lost it, call me when you get a chance.

Twinpilot001

Reaction score
drilled bolts are available. Studs should be locktite installed!! into block!! blue locktite only!! Now use a quality pan gasket too!! install lockwashers under the nuts & do NOT overtighten the nuts!! Making sure to use some silicone RTV sealer on all ends of the gasket / pan areas!!

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
Pull bolts, install studs

ARP makes a very cool stud set, nuts have clamp load facing grooves, best in the planet. Another trick is to make sure the pan 'falls' on the block & timing cover studs before tightening. If some finesse is needed, slightly enlarge the pan holes affected. Believe it or not, oil pans (along with many other engine components) do move around with temperature cycling which of course causes loosening. Lastly the Felpro 1884R gasket is a great combo w/the ARP kit.
Hope it helps