WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dana Point Harbor

BajaMike

Reaction score
Sold the beach house in San Clemente, now looking for a boat to buy in the harbor. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    44.3 MB
  • 47C44C37-1B3D-4A16-A93A-53E27F60EB87.jpeg
    47C44C37-1B3D-4A16-A93A-53E27F60EB87.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 350

Taboma

Reaction score
Sold the beach house in San Clemente, now looking for a boat to buy in the harbor. Any suggestions?

The change in the market from prices and number of listings available from a year ago is dramatically different. So much so I stopped looking when all I could find are either than ones that languished on the market forever because of mechanical issues or are now so over priced it's ridiculous.
What are you in the market for ?

Get on Yachtworld, dial in a few filters and dig in, there's a nice 50' Mickelson SF in Dana, but it's a 99' so who knows what's been done to the 450C Cummins.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
About a 50’ Sea Ray should do the trick Mike. Make sure that slip gets transferred.

nice! I had thought about doing something like that before Cave Creek. I think there are time limitations on length of stay on the boat but there are ways around that. I really doubt you would be on there FT though.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Size? Style? Budget? I keep trying to talk my wife into cashing out and hitting the high seas but so far this idea is.... how should I say... dead in the water... LOL

RodnJen

Reaction score
Anything that suits your needs from Riviera or Tiara.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
You're NOT going to get transferred slip upon a sale in Dana. The County has completely taken over Dana East and West marinas and on the wait list you go.

All the secret handshake bullshit that used to go on is gone.

When the Harbor reconfiguration officially starts about 250 30' and under slips will be eliminated. The county wants big boats and we predict Newport like pricing.

Taboma

Reaction score
You're NOT going to get transferred slip upon a sale in Dana. The County has completely taken over Dana East and West marinas and on the wait list you go.

All the secret handshake bullshit that used to go on is gone.

When the Harbor reconfiguration officially starts about 250 30' and under slips will be eliminated. The county wants big boats and we predict Newport like pricing.

So Orange County is going to have their own employees managing and performing day to day marina operations ?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Mikes no rookie to DP. He will get it all figured out...IF he decides to do this.

i thought you could still buy a boat just to get the slip. Times are changing I guess ;(

JB in so cal

Reaction score
The entire marina is undergoing a rebuild. They've been talking about it for 20 years. Re aligning slips; new hotels and restaurants. I launched Sunday and the smaller parking area for trailers was fucked.

I can only i imagine what they'll do, although I know stacked boat storage is in the plans...

sirbob

Reaction score
The entire marina is undergoing a rebuild. They've been talking about it for 20 years. Re aligning slips; new hotels and restaurants. I launched Sunday and the smaller parking area for trailers was fucked.

I can only i imagine what they'll do, although I know stacked boat storage is in the plans...

I saw recently they put a fence up and cut the trailer lot in half ! I was thinking that’s not going to work when it’s even sort of busy.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
I saw recently they put a fence up and cut the trailer lot in half ! I was thinking that’s not going to work when it’s even sort of busy.
it was closed about 11:30 sunday. We had just launched and I was walking down to the boat. Sign was posted at the top of the lane.

A Sunday in March

Taboma

Reaction score
Mikes no rookie to DP. He will get it all figured out...IF he decides to do this.

i thought you could still buy a boat just to get the slip. Times are changing I guess ;(

A whole lot of piece of shit boats, will suddenly find there's no market, as others will be faced with drastically reducing the price. That happened in Mission Bay in the early 90's, when there were waiting lists for slips and the city stopped the practice of " Buy a boat and get the slip transferred". A couple of years ago it was getting pretty easy to find a slip in San Diego or Mission Bay, but today ?????

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
A whole lot of piece of shit boats, will suddenly find there's no market, as others will be faced with drastically reducing the price. That happened in Mission Bay in the early 90's, when there were waiting lists for slips and the city stopped the practice of " Buy a boat and get the slip transferred". A couple of years ago it was getting pretty easy to find a slip in San Diego or Mission Bay, but today ?????

That was how Campbell Carl (RIP) got a slip at Lake Mohave. He bought this tug boat kind of shit boat and got the slip with it.....lol I wonder if they still do that? I had to do a few things to get a slip out there myself.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Buy in with limited partnership. Keep original owner on title. Might be incentive for sale.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
In-laws played musical slips in temporary ones with their 47' sailboat. They did that for around 6 years (not in dana), it got old and my FIL finally gave up and sold it. Slips are a joke in places anymore

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
The Dana Pt guys have been enjoying less $/ ft forever.... looks like the future will be similar $ to us in Newport. Man I've been hearing about Dana re doing that harbor forever.... did they ever get plans approved? That harbor was always the less expensive way to go if you were a Newport boater but always weighed against the traffic commute through south county right.

jesco

Reaction score
3 year timeline, $350mm cost.... yeah, slip prices will be going UP!!!!
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

They will eventually have you park up top of the new parking structure that is planned. The whole deal is just mind blowing.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
So Orange County is going to have their own employees managing and performing day to day marina operations ?

The county has always "Owned" Dana Point its just been concessions (Dana East and Dana West) and a leasing entity for all the shops, etc., since its creation in 1971. As said above the entire Harbor has been under revitalization plans for 20 years. They were ready to break ground and the Costal Commission thought one hotel should be an inexpensive type hotel, so they halted it. Its what I read, slip leasee don't know shit about shit because they don't tell us much except for all the rules. New rules and more new rules, and the rule about new rules.

Its now called "The Harbor at Dana Point" and all the marinas are under one overseer at the county level and they combined a mix of employees from the old East and West to run the day to day. We now have radio tags on the vehicles and an app in the phone to park. It monitors you in and out so you cant get your bubby into park without going through the office 1st.

Yachts by Bob

Reaction score
Tell me about the middle boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tiara 43LE with triple mercury racing 450s. It's a 60 MPH boat with a Sea keeper, it is the ultimate day boat, the rear lounge rotates 360° so you can enjoy the boat from any angle. This boat is truly a pleasure to drive out in the ocean, it's fast enough to feel like a high-performance boat, but you have the Comfort in the back of your mind knowing that the hull can handle that rough ocean water when it gets nasty out there. Plus it having the sea keeper makes it really enjoyable out in the big blue. You can enclose the cockpit completely with retractable isinglass doors. Two full beds, bathroom, with separate shower, A/C and heating, refrigerator, icemaker, microwave, It's even got a barbecue built into it what more could you ask for. LOL This is 1 of 14 that have been built so far, and it's available ;)

IMG_3394.jpeg
IMG_3384.jpeg
IMG_3386.jpeg
IMG_3385.jpeg
IMG_3387.jpeg
IMG_3389.jpeg
IMG_3392.jpeg

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
The county has always "Owned" Dana Point its just been concessions (Dana East and Dana West) and a leasing entity for all the shops, etc., since its creation in 1971. As said above the entire Harbor has been under revitalization plans for 20 years. They were ready to break ground and the Costal Commission thought one hotel should be an inexpensive type hotel, so they halted it. Its what I read, slip leasee don't know shit about shit because they don't tell us much except for all the rules. New rules and more new rules, and the rule about new rules.

Its now called "The Harbor at Dana Point" and all the marinas are under one overseer at the county level and they combined a mix of employees from the old East and West to run the day to day. We now have radio tags on the vehicles and an app in the phone to park. It monitors you in and out so you cant get your bubby into park without going through the office 1st.
Man that sounds like ass right there. Sorry to hear.... man what a hassle. Imagine having 6 friends trying to meet up and jump on lol. Course they could all park at my buddies restaurant, The Point up top and Uber down and jump on I guess.

Taboma

Reaction score

Was serving my electrical apprenticeship working for a small EC out of Capo Beach, wiring and regularly re-wiring the pumps every time they'd move them to a new diked off area. Ran most of the UG electric utilities for the place, fun job and certainly entertaining sitting on a dike eating lunch, shooting sharks with my wrist rocket. 😁
Stayed there on occasion at the transient slips heading from San Diego to Avalon, but that was many years ago and haven't been there in probably 20 years.
I like it's location, easy to fish south and easy run to Catalina or up the coast to Laguna.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Tiara 43LE with triple mercury racing 450s. It's a 60 MPH boat with a Sea keeper, it is the ultimate day boat, the rear lounge rotates 360° so you can enjoy the boat from any angle. This boat is truly a pleasure to drive out in the ocean, it's fast enough to feel like a high-performance boat, but you have the Comfort in the back of your mind knowing that the hull can handle that rough ocean water when it gets nasty out there. Plus it having the sea keeper makes it really enjoyable out in the big blue. You can enclose the cockpit completely with retractable isinglass doors. Two full beds, bathroom, with separate shower, A/C and heating, refrigerator, icemaker, microwave, It's even got a barbecue built into it what more could you ask for. LOL This is 1 of 14 that I've been built so far, and it's available ;)

View attachment 988169 View attachment 988170 View attachment 988171 View attachment 988172 View attachment 988173 View attachment 988174 View attachment 988175

This is the perfect west coast boat. I love this thing. Slap a rod holder in the rear recliners and you could have an impromptu fighting chair with it flipped around. One day...

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Was serving my electrical apprenticeship working for a small EC out of Capo Beach, wiring and regularly re-wiring the pumps every time they'd move them to a new diked off area. Ran most of the UG electric utilities for the place, fun job and certainly entertaining sitting on a dike eating lunch, shooting sharks with my wrist rocket. 😁
Stayed there on occasion at the transient slips heading from San Diego to Avalon, but that was many years ago and haven't been there in probably 20 years.
I like it's location, easy to fish south and easy run to Catalina or up the coast to Laguna.
I and two others live here in south county, one in Huntington Beach. Dana for me is a 20 min ride and that accounts for time to get to the freeway. Shoot out the Harbor and boom whatever you want to fish for in peak season. 5 years back the boat was in Sunset Aquatic. in Hunt. Harbor. I preferred it up there. No sail boats, Island in an hr., Marina Del Rey, La Harbor, Long beach...tons to do for a guy who grew up fishing and now wants nothing to do with it. Problem is the fishing dictates a trip to the island all the time. So Dana we will stay and live through all this Harbor stuff.