WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

danger of a lumber yard

wzuber

Reaction score
https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily...nd-traps-him-against-a-forklift-in-costa-mesa
Ya always know things can happen, but when they actually do happen, holy crap....It's not always just a bump here or a tow there with a forklift. This makes me better appreciate the safety protocols and the inconvenience store like Lowes/H.D. put consumers through when loading/unloading pallets etc. (forklift operations) during open hours.
RIP bud....a work day shouldn't end like this. Condolences to his family and friends.

Nordie

Reaction score
https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily...nd-traps-him-against-a-forklift-in-costa-mesa
Ya always know things can happen, but when they actually do happen, holy crap....It's not always just a bump here or a tow there with a forklift. This makes me better appreciate the safety protocols and the inconvenience store like Lowes/H.D. put consumers through when loading/unloading pallets etc. (forklift operations) during open hours.
RIP bud....a work day shouldn't end like this. Condolences to his family and friends.

Very sad news, things happen quick.

A very long time ago my grandpa (finish carpenter) at the Riviera had some solid doors fall over on him breaking his pelvis.

4Waters

Reaction score
Went on a call in Westlake Village where a guy had a slab of granite fall on him. He almost got out of the way, it got his lower leg.

wzuber

Reaction score
Very sad news, things happen quick.

A very long time ago my grandpa (finish carpenter) at the Riviera had some solid doors fall over on him breaking his pelvis.
ouch...that had to suck, that's a major injury that can easily effect the work/income ability and the rest of your life....Just reading of it made my pelvis hurt. I hope he was young enough to fully recover quickly and completely.?
That oh-shit/fuck moment as you realize what is happening and you can only react in hopes to escape injury but get caught absolutely sucks.

wzuber

Reaction score
Went on a call in Westlake Village where a guy had a slab of granite fall on him. He almost got out of the way, it got his lower leg.
Did it break his leg or did he get away with a peel or shred of the flesh? what caused the slab to fall? did it slip out of the clamp while being carried or?

Nordie

Reaction score
ouch...that had to suck, that's a major injury that can easily effect the work/income ability and the rest of your life....Just reading of it made my pelvis hurt. I hope he was young enough to fully recover quickly and completely.?
That oh-shit/fuck moment as you realize what is happening and you can only react in hopes to escape injury but get caught absolutely sucks.

He was in his late 50's, but he made a full recovery and reached retirement. It never bothered him after recovery.

4Waters

Reaction score
Did it break his leg or did he get away with a peel or shred of the flesh? what caused the slab to fall? did it slip out of the clamp while being carried or?
If I remember correctly the fork lift bumped it and it broke his leg and foot.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
That's horrible!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wzuber

Reaction score
He was in his late 50's, but he made a full recovery and reached retirement. It never bothered him after recovery.
wow..lucky, he must have been in rather good health. Late 50's is about the time the body changes and the recover process seems to slow a bit. Life long pain in the hip region would effect about every movement one makes and that gets old and frustrating very fast. Good he was able to make such an ideal recovery.:)

wzuber

Reaction score
If I remember correctly the fork lift bumped it and it broke his leg and foot.
Hopefully the slab had a lot of "movement" in it and hopefully it mostly shattered around his leg resulting in a brake rather than a crush.

4Waters

Reaction score
Hopefully the slab had a lot of "movement" in it and hopefully it mostly shattered around his leg resulting in a brake rather than a crush.
It was pretty flat

NicPaus

Reaction score
Ganahl could use some better forklift training. The new one in Torrance a worker crashed into the post that supports the parking structure above and almost took it out. If the structure collapsed it would of been ugly.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Any moron can drive a forklift...just like any moron can drive a car...but there needs to be a bit of thought involved to safely operate one in an environment where one is typically operated.

We had a warehouse with 25 foot tall racking...I'm not sure how this happened...maybe one aisle was set up for 36" pallets, but 200 feet away, behind several walls, I heard a crash like I haven't heard before and went running to see WTF happened...forklift operator was setting a pallet on the top rack, pushed the one of the other side off it (with 5000LBS of stuff on it) and it fell 25ft. Another worker happened to be walking in that aisle and it missed him by about 5 feet.

Even the jobs that seem remedial are critical.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I responded to a call 2 years ago where load shift damn near killed the operator. The guy was carrying a load too high and turned quick, it tipped the forklift, as the forklift went over the operator attempted to bail but as it landed on its side it pinned the operator under it. Pelvic fracture, bilateral femur fractures and grade 3 liver laceration.

Lucky dude for sure, when i rolled up i expected to have to pronounce him, but he lived and recovered

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I responded to a call 2 years ago where load shift damn near killed the operator. The guy was carrying a load too high and turned quick, it tipped the forklift, as the forklift went over the operator attempted to bail but as it landed on its side it pinned the operator under it. Pelvic fracture, bilateral femur fractures and grade 3 liver laceration.

Lucky dude for sure, when i rolled up i expected to have to pronounce him, but he lived and recovered

During fork lift training i was told never try to bail out.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score

Had he stayed in he wouldnt have been hurt. He was pinned under the outside edge of the roof/cage on the passenger side

wzuber

Reaction score

I can see how that would be considered a smart choice as exampled by SOCAL'S follow up comment and getting hit/trapped by the some part of the lift. Basically the same reason race cars have a safe cockpit, being pitched into the rollover path.. If that's truly the case then a redesign of the forklift cockpit is in order to include a road race car cockpit type safety system. It will never happen of course because it would be way to cumbersome and slow the operator down to much but it would definitely save injuries and or lives. Can you imagine having to un-harness and crawl out of a full wrap seat every time you have to do something outside the lift for just a second/minute whatever? haha what a pain in azz.

buck35

Reaction score
I can see how that would be considered a smart choice as exampled by SOCAL'S follow up comment and getting hit/trapped by the some part of the lift. Basically the same reason race cars have a safe cockpit, being pitched into the rollover path.. If that's truly the case then a redesign of the forklift cockpit is in order to include a road race car cockpit type safety system. It will never happen of course because it would be way to cumbersome and slow the operator down to much but it would definitely save injuries and or lives. Can you imagine having to un-harness and crawl out of a full wrap seat every time you have to do something outside the lift for just a second/minute whatever? haha what a pain in azz.

That's why they have seatbelts. And also why you never carry a load any higher than needed for clearance.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I was in the overhead crane business for 30 years. Saw a number of fatal accidents that could have been prevented with common sense and being careful around stacked materials. Steel coils were involved in several. 10-15-20 Ton objects crush most anything they merely touch.

Safety training and constant review must be done daily to stay sharp when handling heavy loads with any type of equipment. Fork lifts are easy to run, but also easy run wrong and create dangerous mistakes. Lessons are often fatalities.....:(

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
A better solution is more training and always having a spotter. And never get in a hurry.