WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dare I ask about fishing????

Wbinder

Reaction score
My son (hes 4) seems to have a interest in fishing. We’re headed to the river in a couple days and figured maybe I’ll try it out. Seems to be catfish and bass are most common at the strip? I don’t know anything about fishing but figured I’d ask here if any of the local fishing guys could recommend a good first setup that would work good on the strip. From a short internet search seems easiest to have a catfish rod and reel and a bass rod and reel setup?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
You don't need no stinkin different poles for different fish. Just go to Walmart and buy a couple of cheap Zebco rod/real packages, some hooks, bobbers and a tub of worms. If he/you like the sport you can upgrade from there.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
You don't need no stinkin different poles for different fish. Just go to Walmart and buy a couple of cheap Zebco rod/real packages, some hooks, bobbers and a tub of worms. If he/you like the sport you can upgrade from there.

Every kid's first rod and reel combo needs to be a blister pack Zebco. 👍

He'll love it.

I know I did. 🙂

satellitemike

Reaction score
If your heading to LHC, easy peasy!
Go buy a bag of frozen anchovies, head down to site 6, cut into aprox 1" chunks, throw a modest hook in it and voila!
No special stuff needed, dont even need any weights. There is a public fishing dock there with endless amounts of smallish stripers, do confuse this with midget strippers. He doesnt need a license but you will if you participate w him. I think it would be a fair statement that the bait wont be in the water more than 30 seconds before they attack it.

Good luck.

rivergames

Reaction score
Walmart Special with rod n tackle.

Grab a pack of catfish bait

Drop it in a deep hole

Sit and hold on

P.S. Don't crank the drag (line tension adjuster) too much. Let the fish run under slight drag to wear him out a little. Plus its a longer reel in.

Wbinder

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, we’re gunna be on the strip. So nothin on havasu. We use to try fishing there a lot when I was a kid. Only luck we had was waking up in the morning and finding a fish that swallowed our extra length of bowline floating in the water haha

Wbinder

Reaction score
We live on the ca side. Would I need a az license or ca license haha?

hallett21

Reaction score
Get a CA license just in case. Stinky bait on a hook with a bobber works. Maybe get a few split shot weights to keep the bait down.

Personally I’d get a halfway decent spinning rod. Especially if you’re going to help the kid cast. The Zebco rat nests suck lol.

Last edited:

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Ugly Stick GX2 rod and reel combo, can be had at walmart for about $40 - $60 depending on the length of rod....you will never need to upgrade from there...catfish are going to be your best bang for the buck, and is a little easier for a new fisherman, because you just need to bait, cast, and wait...with bass, they are more picky, so you there is a lot of baiting and casting, or trying lures and casting...

For catfish, small weight on your line to take bait to bottom and to make casting a little easier (casting is harder when there isn't very much weight on the line), you don't need any special bait...use what you have, hot dogs work great, old meat, cheese, anything that stinks...I have had lots of luck with just balled up bread...simple set up

fish.jpg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I use Hebrew National hot dogs with some WD40 sprayed on before casting when fishing on the river. Works great for catfish, carp and stripers.
Hot dogs never fail for cats. 👍

This!!!

Worms will pull blue gill and smaller stuff.
Anchovies for the striped bass.

Some kids really enjoy fishing and others not so much.
My parents never understood how it was I wanted to fish, they had never been into it.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
We live on the ca side. Would I need a az license or ca license haha?
get a CA license, it covers both sides. find a spot with "cover" a dock or something like that will break the current for the fish. chunk of anchovy or other smelly bait and hold on. go in and talk to these guys, right before you cross over the bridge from parker into CA. good guys from the few times i have been in there, tell them you want your kid to catch something and get the bait they reccommend. when i was working in tackle shops, i would always take as long as needed a
Capture.PNG
nd go the extra mile for the dad and son going fishing for the first time.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I second the comment about the fishing license. If you so much as touch the fishing rod your kid is holding and you don’t have a license they will nail you.

This is probably the largest source of revenue on the rivers/lakes. They get off on handing out tickets to parents trying to teach their kids fishing.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Hot dogs never fail for cats. 👍

This!!!

Worms will pull blue gill and smaller stuff.
Anchovies for the striped bass.

Some kids really enjoy fishing and others not so much.
My parents never understood how it was I wanted to fish, they had never been into it.
my dad never took me fishing, he didnt like it. i never fished until i started working at Turners on the gun counter and a couple of other guys that worked there brought me along. those bastards have cost me a fortune over the years but I love fishing.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Ca license good on both shores. Go to Walmart. Get ugly stick or okuma cheap spinning combo. 6 ft light medium.No line get some 6-8 pd mono. Learn how to load it. This will eff you up.
Hot dogs cheese power bait. Hit the docks. Try the bottom then try floating it.
Reeds below the road runner, it’s gone, fish miss it. Keys in the shadows.
Check YouTube
Edit. If there’s a local private shop, support them.

Hoodoo

Reaction score
Just drop a worm and hang on 😄

Attachments

• E9BE61DD-594D-45E8-80B9-8F89A9EF807C.jpeg
    E9BE61DD-594D-45E8-80B9-8F89A9EF807C.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 53

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Worms are a good universal bait. If you live in CA get that license. Same deal with AZ. If you get into LHC, the guys at Bass Masters Tackle are very helpful. A Walmart kids set up will be just fine. Most important, catch something. Even if they’re small. Your kid is not going to care. But, Catch Something! AZ licenses are available on line. Not sure about CA.

Last edited:

500bbc

Reaction score
If you're near a local tackle shop buy there and get expert advice. The one I frequent here in SFV has starter outfits and they don't sell you anything you don't need.
For cats I've always used treble hooks and a sliding egg sinker, when your bait gets picked up you can let out a little slack in the line so they have a chance to eat it.
Blue gill and sunfish, small hooks, light line and light weight. Bobber fishing for BG and Red Ear Sunfish is a balst for kids, near structure or under a dock.

Cleaning them can get messy as you can see in my avatar. :p

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Look up 'Drop-Shot Rig' for bass fishing.
Kind of a no-brainer and productive technique for bass.
Easy to rig,easy to use, and doesn't cost much either.
Any small soft plastic worm in green or brown will get a smallmouth to bite.

4Waters

Reaction score
I second the comment about the fishing license. If you so much as touch the fishing rod your kid is holding and you don’t have a license they will nail you.

This is probably the largest source of revenue on the rivers/lakes. They get off on handing out tickets to parents trying to teach their kids fishing.
It's a hit or miss that's for sure, up here my local Warden won't bother you if you are teaching your kid technique or casting for them, if they catch you actively fishing you better have a license. You're right, the letter of the law states you need a license if you are holding the pole with the line in the water.

4Waters

Reaction score
@Wbinder remember "A bad day of fishing is always better than a good day at work" 😉

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
If your 4 yr old is at all interested in eating fish, for a kid eating what they caught can be a very big deal. Small fresh white meat fish fillets are available at most local stores. Breaded and fried you kid won’t know the difference. Lots of Ketchup and or tartar sauce. Pacific rock fish is mild, cut into small filets they should have no bones, breaded or battered and fried they’re really good. Small cats or bluegill? Maybe not so much. And I love fish.

Last edited:

stingray11

Reaction score
There is a section on hunting and fishing, you may want to check that out.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
My friends and I fish every night we can on the CA side off the Riverland Gas dock. They have success with catfish on various seafood type bait, but I pretty much exclusively go for my carp and get them on mashed up hot dog bun, get your hand wet, and mush the dough around the hook, and hold on :) The carp on the strip are not on their first rodeo and have a lot of fun in the fight. Some photos of some of the bigger ones over the years my friends have caught, mine is on the scale with a random dude photo bombing it :)

carp4.jpg
carpzilla.jpg
carp5.jpg

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Here's a guaranteed tip for catfish at the river or anyhere. Buy the cheap hotdogs, put them in a plastic bag and dump powder mix Kool-Aid (Cherry works best) in the bag and let the dogs soak in the mix for a little while and Bam! Fish on!!! I like top water poppers for the large and small mouth.
sn.jpg

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Here's a guaranteed tip for catfish at the river or anyhere. Buy the cheap hotdogs, put them in a plastic bag and dump powder mix Kool-Aid (Cherry works best) in the bag and let the dogs soak in the mix for a little while and Bam! Fish on!!! I like top water poppers for the large and small mouth. View attachment 1190030

Agreed...Koolaid mix is a winner...

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Last time I fished near Havasu Landing, I was also required to purchase a Chemehuevi Indian Fishing License. Is this still required?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
IMO post #21 by 500bbc is spot on when it comes to fishing with kids. Fishing License - Get one. Many F&G cops are great. But, some can be total idiots. Nothing worse for a kid than seeing Dad getting written up by a uniformed officer for breaking the law. Especially when they were just trying to have fun fishing. Often, once you show your license to F&G they’ll become helpful. Especially when kids are involved. Enjoy! Brings back some very good memories.

77charger

Reaction score
Get lic cheaper than caught without it. But it gets tricky as far as using on both sides of shores. It’s only good on az side if you are floating on something like boat kayak tube etc.

You can fish ca shore as in standing with ca license but will need an az lic to stand on az shore. But either are good for floating on water.

Joker

Reaction score
Here's a guaranteed tip for catfish at the river or anyhere. Buy the cheap hotdogs, put them in a plastic bag and dump powder mix Kool-Aid (Cherry works best) in the bag and let the dogs soak in the mix for a little while and Bam! Fish on!!! I like top water poppers for the large and small mouth. View attachment 1190030
Interesting. Will give it a go this year.

4Waters

Reaction score
If you're near a local tackle shop buy there and get expert advice. The one I frequent here in SFV has starter outfits and they don't sell you anything you don't need.
For cats I've always used treble hooks and a sliding egg sinker, when your bait gets picked up you can let out a little slack in the line so they have a chance to eat it.
Blue gill and sunfish, small hooks, light line and light weight. Bobber fishing for BG and Red Ear Sunfish is a balst for kids, near structure or under a dock.

Cleaning them can get messy as you can see in my avatar. :p
Fish'n fools?

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
Last time I fished near Havasu Landing, I was also required to purchase a Chemehuevi Indian Fishing License. Is this still required?
If you are fishing from the shore on the cali. side of Havasu, yes. If your on the lake, no, but they'll probably try and tell you yes you do.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
If you are fishing from the shore on the cali. side of Havasu, yes. If your on the lake, no, but they'll probably try and tell you yes you do.
Typical. I was on a boat near the landing and was told it was mandatory. Darn Indian Givers! 🤣

4Waters

Reaction score
Yes, or Bob Sands on Sepulveda south of Vanowen, I'm good friends with the owner. They're very good on no up sell.
They are good guys over there, we had JT Tackle until they closed.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
On the strip I'd be ripping a small jerk bait for smallies.. you could get lucky and hook up a striper as well..

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
How much patience do you have? If not much, have you thought about hiring a guide for a couple of hours? Someone that knows the river well and puts you son on fish might peak his interest a bunch and help avoiding a frustrating time.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
How is the fishing in the middle of winter? I would think pretty slow in this weather.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
My friends and I fish every night we can on the CA side off the Riverland Gas dock. They have success with catfish on various seafood type bait, but I pretty much exclusively go for my carp and get them on mashed up hot dog bun, get your hand wet, and mush the dough around the hook, and hold on :) The carp on the strip are not on their first rodeo and have a lot of fun in the fight. Some photos of some of the bigger ones over the years my friends have caught, mine is on the scale with a random dude photo bombing it :)

View attachment 1190027 View attachment 1190028 View attachment 1190029
Carp fishing is fun. But those fuckers are hard to catch.

2Driver

Reaction score
Note he's 4, catfish is slow, bass take casting ability, sun fish need a worm, hook, bobber, a beach chair and a dock.
Little kid watching a bobber get yanked under is steller. 😁
Yep. That’s what we did with our son when he was 4. Tigger themed rod and real with corn kernels as bait. Corn will pick up just about anything especially bluegill and sunfish.

He had his line out in the backwater on the beach at devils elbow. I could see a huge carp go over his line then his line started running out 100 MPH. The fish took out all the line on the reel then grenaded the reel.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
My son (hes 4) seems to have a interest in fishing. We’re headed to the river in a couple days and figured maybe I’ll try it out. Seems to be catfish and bass are most common at the strip? I don’t know anything about fishing but figured I’d ask here if any of the local fishing guys could recommend a good first setup that would work good on the strip. From a short internet search seems easiest to have a catfish rod and reel and a bass rod and reel setup?
Big 5 has some poles on sale for 20 bucks 6 lb test 18 inch leader and a worm with a small anchovy and boom bass will keep him busy