WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dark side of the ring

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Amazon, Netflix or???

Get415

Reaction score
I'm not sure if its on either. I've seen it on Vice channel or On Demand for Dish network

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
I try not to watch the Vice channel too often, but I’ve seen most of the episodes of this series.

Crazy for sure

77charger

Reaction score
Haven’t seen it it but you hear some stories of these guys and your like wtf.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Good show.

I knew a few of those guys back in the day. Ultimate Warrior, Mr. Perfect, The British Bulldog.. These dudes loved to party.

redone76

Reaction score
The Chris Benoit episode was really shocking...I was a big fan of his back in the day

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Ummmmmm its all fake 😎 grandpa thought it was all real “ watch out that SOB gots a chainsaw, WTH is he doing with that chair ? Someone gets me another Oly “ 😎 what a great old guy RIP grandpa

Last edited:

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I’m not a wrestling fan at all, and never watched it growing up, but I love this show. A solid watch for sure.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
To my knowledge, Wrestlemania III still stands as the largest indoor crowd for any sporting event?

Pontiac Silverdome.
Up until ringtime Hulk and Andre did not know the scripted outcome for the main title match. (Hulk kept the belt, first time Andre got lifted and slammed...)
Fake or not, that event had some of the best shows ever presented. The British bulldogs and Tito Santana went up against The Hart Foundation with Danny Davis. Davis had been banned from refereeing for life plus 10 years for throwing the previous title match against the bulldogs, handing the belt to the Harts.
Suffice it to say, revenge was in the air. At some point, emotion took over and the bulldogs beat Davis down for real. Seriously.
The pile driver that Davey Boy administered to Davis was hard to watch. Davis’s neck was like a pogo stick. He literally bounced off his head into a sitting position. It’s all scripted...but there’s nothing fake about the punishment sometimes.

D5711712-955E-439D-AB25-C61AE1971160.jpeg

Last edited:

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Chief Jay Strongbow, Ivan Putski, Bob Backlund were the ones on tv when I was a kid.
Chief Jay Strongbow was an italian from New Jersey. cultural appropriation clowns would have a field day.

jet496

Reaction score
They are some tough SOB's that have some huge personalities. Loved watching it & imitating it in the yard with my friends as a kid.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Worked the door in a country western bar in Tampa 1979-80..... some of the Bucs and pro wrestlers frequented.... The owner told me anybody who looks like one of them gets in free. I said how will I know [I was 20] owner laughed and said You'll know" .... One night there was a loud bang on the door and I swung it open and my face was about chest high on a dude.... Andre the Giant was visiting our little redneck lounge... that mf was huge. I'm 6'7" in boots. And I can tell ya those guys loved to throw furniture at each other once the hookers, blow and booze set in! Owner just charged them for broken stuff and they were fine with it. Man could they draw some crazy pussy in there!

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Worked the door in a country western bar in Tampa 1979-80..... some of the Bucs and pro wrestlers frequented.... The owner told me anybody who looks like one of them gets in free. I said how will I know [I was 20] owner laughed and said You'll know" .... One night there was a loud bang on the door and I swung it open and my face was about chest high on a dude.... Andre the Giant was visiting our little redneck lounge... that mf was huge. I'm 6'7" in boots. And I can tell ya those guys loved to throw furniture at each other once the hookers, blow and booze set in! Owner just charged them for broken stuff and they were fine with it. Man could they draw some crazy pussy in there!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
As a young teen I was all about Firpo, 8th wonder of the world. I’d practice his infamous “algarfio” head clasp move on my younger brother.
In 72 he took out Strongbow at Madison square garden. All that was WWWF I think?

The tale was that he was captured from the jungles of Borneo, raised in a cave by a she wolf or some shit...but in reality I think he was a cab driver or something from Argentina?

49D324F9-5566-4624-94A7-0CD91A482A8C.jpeg

The deadly “Algarfio”...

196C0017-5025-489C-A1D7-FAC5FF5D01B2.png

Last edited:

The Prisoner

Reaction score
As a young teen I was all about Firpo, 8th wonder of the world. I’d practice his infamous “algarfio” head clasp move on my younger brother.
In 72 he took out Strongbow at Madison square garden. All that was WWWF I think?

The tale was that he was captured from the jungles of Borneo, raised by a she wolf or some shit...but in reality I think he was a cab driver or something from Argentina?

View attachment 930709

The deadly “Algarfio”...

View attachment 930710

Superfly Snukas cousin?:)

1602306660849.png

rrrr

Reaction score
I attended a wrestling show at the now demolished Civic Auditorium in Albuquerque around 1976 with one of my buddies. We wanted to see how scripted pro wrestling really was, and there was a dollar beer promotion. We were on it!

The crowd around the ring was sitting in folding chairs, and there was an elevated runway at that led to the ring. The fans had set their beer cups all along it.

One match was heating up, the crowd was going nuts, and one wrestler threw another out of the ring onto the runway. The crowd was mocking him and yelling obscenities. The guy took a swipe at the beer cups with his foot, and they went into the crowd.

The reaction by the now beer soaked fans triggered a genuine mini riot, with folding chairs flying everywhere. It was friggin' awesome.

Those guys really put on a show.

😁

500bbc

Reaction score
Old school match when we were kids with Freddy Blassie headlining. We somehow scored some beer and a friends older brother had to drive us to the show.
The fold up chairs were wired together but we un wired them and moved them right up to the ring, we were kids, no one cared. We were spitting at Freddy calling him every name in the book and he threw the Savage right in our laps, he jumped up from the floor when we pushed him off or laps and screamed in our faces, scared the shit of us. They finally threw us out when one of my friends got out of hand as they were walking out of the ring and was restrained. I think we really pissed the midgets off too. :D

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
We’d go to the matches at the local joints in PC Florida when we were just barely drinking age. (18 then)
They’d have the Southern farm league level guys come through now and then.
Real crazy stuff. Occasionally a big name would be on the ticket to draw fans.
It would be pretty crowded!
Like the stories above, it would get out of hand pretty damn fast sometimes. The wrestlers were toasted from being on the road, and seemed to have little patience with each other or the unruly crowd.
It was always crazy.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Just saw the Owen Hart episode. Not a wrestling fan since I was a kid myself but it confirmed what I always thought. Vince McMahon is a piece of garbage.