WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dart Sportsman Big M limits?

vdcruiser

Reaction score
What would be the HP/RPM limits for a blown 540/555 ci engine using a Dart Sportsman block with ductile iron main caps ?

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
What would be the HP/RPM limits for a blown 540/555 ci engine using a Dart Sportsman block with ductile iron main caps ?

Probably the best answer to that question is to call Dart and ask them. You didn't mention what type of useage, or what you would like it to be able to do. A boat would be different than say a drag car, and it could make a difference if you are racing it or just pleasure use (which will vary with the driver obviously) Personally, I would suggest the billet main cap block if you were looking for bigger power.

A separate note, I ran a factory GM tall deck block in my Schiada race boat,, 505 cu in, up to 15 lbs boost with a Gentry turbo setup. 6 years of endurance racing with no issues.

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Thanks Barry,
My use is a 21' Howard V-drive fun cruiser. I use a 10:71 with about 12 lbs of boost on 93 octane gas. This is a 100 mph plus cruiser that I like to run hard at times, but I don't punish it. Max rpm is about 6300/6400 with 48 % gears in the V-drive. The engine is 548 ci based on a early tall deck bowtie block (without blind head bolt holes). It has been running flawlessly for 8 + years. I just pulled it down to freshen it up and found cracks from the stud to a water jacket hole in 2 locations on 1 deck surface. It had not leaked a drop of water and of course I don't know how long it has been cracked. So the cost of my freshen up job now may include the cost of a new block. :grumble: I have even considered reusing it, but don't know if thats a very good idea.
By the way my name is Barry also. :D

Last edited:

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
My personal take on the Dart block,, might as well find the extra $300 for the billet caps, which also includes plug kit and coated cam bearings that don't come with the Sportsman block.

I had a couple of tall deck bowtie blocks that I sold, but can see if I can pick up another one for you,, not sure how bad shipping would be to the east coast, but still should save you a stack of money over a new block.