WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dave Hemmingson Leaves DCB??!

TEBBY

Reaction score
I just heard yesterday that Dave has left DCB two weeks ago, and is planning to start another boat company...

Can anyone here confirm this?!!

Jmp

Reaction score
What type of involvement has he had in the company? Sounds kinda crazy to just walk away from such an iconic brand..

Andy01

Reaction score
I should state, sad and true that he left the brand he started.

I know nothing about the future or (boat) companies he has. Dave has always been a good guy to me. The company is likely bigger and better then it ever has been. Dave did a great job building it but the team there raises the bar there almost ever single boat they finish. Best of luck to Dave and the team at DCB. I'm sure they will both press on.

Singleton

Reaction score
Oh, I thought it was Dave copied Bob. What I meant was where was he as far as management in the company? I picture him leaving Dcb would be like bob leach walking away from eliminator.

Dave sold a large percentage of DCB to Rob Blair (sp) a few years ago (thinking back in 2010-2012ish). Dave kept a percentage but Rob had the ability to buy him out at a later date.

Best of luck to Dave in whatever he decides to do next. His attention to detail made DCB what it is today.

Also best of luck to DCB and to them continually raising the bar on each boat they deliver.

Jmp

Reaction score
He resigned his position two weeks ago. Dave was essentially a sales person the last couple of years but still played a roll in the company and development.

I wasn't aware that he more or less a salesman for the company. I figured he was the head of the whole show

Andy01

Reaction score
Oh, I thought it was Dave copied Bob. What I meant was where was he as far as management in the company? I picture him leaving Dcb would be like bob leach walking away from eliminator.

Dave sold a couple years back, be the same as Bob selling and then resigning later on.

There's basically one main share holder and three individual share holders. The three are employees that have help build DCB into what it is today. All three having been there the better part of the time frame of DCB being what we know it as today.

buck35

Reaction score
I'd guess more likely he chose to get out while the getting is good! Close calls with 190 mph boats, it seems only a matter of time before a huuuge lawsuit comes their way. Already had a new owner of the business, why stick around.good for him to move on to life's next adventure! :skull

TEBBY

Reaction score
He resigned his position two weeks ago. Dave was essentially a sales person the last couple of years but still played a roll in the company and development.

This seems like pretty big news for the boating industry...
Kind of odd that it seems there is not much word on it.
Would be interesting to know the "why" behind this move. Seems like DCB is just really at the top of their game these days...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I just heard yesterday that Dave has left DCB two weeks ago, and is planning to start another boat company...

I know that he left a couple weeks ago, but I haven't heard anything about a new boat company.

RD

Andy01

Reaction score
This seems like pretty big news for the boating industry...
Kind of odd that it seems there is not much word on it.
Would be interesting to know the "why" behind this move. Seems like DCB is just really at the top of their game these days...

I think it was big news back when he sold DCB, him leaving is surprising but not many people know or are that involved that they might even know who Dave is. I think everyone has their shelf life in their situation, if that situation changes (him selling) then at some point it may not be as fun or the same thing it was for 20 years. So it becomes time to move on. I don't think in anyway this is bad for DCB or Dave. In a two part relationship one side got board or tired of the day to day life they were living and so change was in order. I am sure Dave is relaxing and surfing. Who knows what he will do. DCB will carry on.

TexasJet

Reaction score
I heard the main reason he dialed back on his involvement with DCB was health related due to the stress of running the business. To start a new boat company seems to be putting himself back in the same stressful situation.

Andy01

Reaction score
Something else to keep in mind, most people if they don't know Dave and haven't bought from Dave don't call and ask for Dave. Tony has really been the face of sales for quite a while now. Dave still sold boats, but Tony does most if not all demos and deliveries.

TEBBY

Reaction score
I think it was big news back when he sold DCB, him leaving is surprising but not many people know or are that involved that they might even know who Dave is. I think everyone has their shelf life in their situation, if that situation changes (him selling) then at some point it may not be as fun or the same thing it was for 20 years. So it becomes time to move on. I don't think in anyway this is bad for DCB or Dave. In a two part relationship one side got board or tired of the day to day life they were living and so change was in order. I am sure Dave is relaxing and surfing. Who knows what he will do. DCB will carry on.

Thanks again for the insight. I wish both Dave and DCB well..

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
That would be bad ass!

RD

There is a market for a high end custom center console builder.

He would probably do great...not sure that's what he is looking for and hopefully he made enough cash and set up a deal where he only has to work if he wants to with the sale of dcb.

Hammer

Reaction score
There is a market for a high end custom center console builder.

He would probably do great...not sure that's what he is looking for and hopefully he made enough cash and set up a deal where he only has to work if he wants to with the sale of dcb.

If someone wanted to do a high end CC it would only make sense to do it under the DCB brand. Especially if you were already working there.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
If someone wanted to do a high end CC it would only make sense to do it under the DCB brand. Especially if you were already working there.

Not if you were no longer the owner and wanted to start A new company...lol

Hammer

Reaction score
Not if you were no longer the owner and wanted to start A new company...lol

Lol. Fair enough, it just seems like it would be easier to build a boat with a company that was already building boats. Not to mention your name is Dave of DAVES custom boats.

Icky

Reaction score
DCD Dave Copies Dave?:eek:uttahere:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well again I haven't heard that he was going to do anything new in the industry. I hope he does as he was very talented and has a strong following, but I think he just retired.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Don't know any of the parties involved.
But surely there is a non-compete in place?

LAPII

Reaction score
Might be the new modern day Don Aronow in the making....Magic custom boats by Dave......:thumbsup...wishful thinking.

No Mercy

Reaction score
Dave built my 1992 21' Daytona. He had a small garage space in El Cajon at the time. He personally designed and supervised the extreme custom gel coat at Eliminator. He designed the paint from the custom Merc engine cowl all the way down to the trailer. He was (is) a perfectionist. The boat was flawless. It had just about every custom bell & whistle available at the time.
It was featured in Hot Boat magazine and it brought a lot of attention to not only me, but to DCB. I think I paid $40k for the boat.

Whatever he decides to do going forward, I am sure it will be a success.

riverroyal

Reaction score
maybe he just retires....im sure he has put in enough hours. Retire at Millionaire black sock estates. I think its in East County somewhere, next to flat bill estates.

New to boating

Reaction score
Well again I haven't heard that he was going to do anything new in the industry. I hope he does as he was very talented and has a strong following, but I think he just retired.

Hardly a "blip" on the radar screen no one will even notice. His role progressively diminished over time for reasons that no one knows, but think they know.

It appears that Chiaramonte has been the Guy getting it done (sales) for a long time and the lead recruiter and cheerleader - they should triple his salary and hope that a competing Performance Boat CO. does not steal him away, he seems to put up with a lot of EGO driven attitudes and BS from customers and still with a smile on his face.

As far as "retiring", no one gets wealthy building performance boats - few make enough money to "retire" comfortably Reggie Fountain was the best example of taking a performance boat co to the limits of velocity and growth, built more boats than anyone, went public, went bankrupt, but Reggie had a lot of other assets to fall back on.....

It's a tough GIG even in the best of times... very limited marketplace and significantly diminished over the last 5 years with the rise in popularity of the Center Console boats. Run Miami to Key West, wash it, put it away - put gas in it and run it back tomorrow - with a 5 year full warranty.

dave29

Reaction score
Dave is a great guy. I bought 3 boats from him and to say he made the deals happen is an understatement. He was always fair and honest with me and gave you the sense that DCB and it's customers were part of a family. Our family.
Whatever he decides to do in the future, I wish him the very best and thank him for taking high performance boats into the 22nd century.
I also wish Rob, Tony and the boys the very best.

Boat 405

Reaction score

He has been an employee of DCB for a long time. He hasn't been the owner in quite some while.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Does Dave have a DCB? Serious question, never seen something about his personal boat.

Warlock1

Reaction score
He is going back to Eliminator :skull:skull

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Does Dave have a DCB? Serious question, never seen something about his personal boat.

Probably never needed to, with an endless supply of boats to test, demo, re-sell etc. Good question though, did he ever boat just for pleasure? I know I work on a shitload of classic cars and hotrods - none of mine currently are roadworthy.