Dave Johnson: Mobile Machinist

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1613356507947.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That's pretty bad ass!

Had a customer, an older fellow, that did "mobile crank grinding". His equipment was old, but really cool. He had a gizmo that replaced the starter, and another dodad that bolted to the pan rail. One woud turn the crank, and the other ground the journal...piston wedged up, or main cap removed, depending on which he'd grind. He was doing mostly Cat stuff, earthmovers and the like. Weird but cool.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I feel like I have seen this picture before. I think its a sales car and they are able to demonstrate the lathe and different tooling on the back of the car. I could be wrong though.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I feel like I have seen this picture before. I think its a sales car and they are able to demonstrate the lathe and different tooling on the back of the car. I could be wrong though.

I believe that was an Atlas...maybe South Bend sales deal. I’m leaning towards Atlas.

ibelio

Reaction score
That's pretty bad ass!

Had a customer, an older fellow, that did "mobile crank grinding". His equipment was old, but really cool. He had a gizmo that replaced the starter, and another dodad that bolted to the pan rail. One woud turn the crank, and the other ground the journal...piston wedged up, or main cap removed, depending on which he'd grind. He was doing mostly Cat stuff, earthmovers and the like. Weird but cool.
that was old man anderson he would pull up in an old corvair tool in front

Riverbottom

Reaction score
that was old man anderson he would pull up in an old corvair tool in front

I met him in the mid 80's, he was grinding a crank on a diesel truck in Santa Ana Calif. next door to a body shop I was working at. I was fascinated, never knew such equipment existed. The fact it fit in the front of a Corvair was even more interesting.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ever see axle al ? Used him a bunch ,unbelievably great work and will save your differential
They used to do early ford banjo rearends too. Never watched how. I wonder if they still do old stuff.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
That's pretty bad ass!

You said dodad with a straight face. 😂

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...1962... still in high school a guy that lived with us bought a 60 Chevy with a 348 tri power and an Isky roller... he had the car a short time and it spun a rod bearing... we found a mobile crank grinding guy who came out... ground the crank...put the proper bearings in... we went out to test drive the car the next day and it spun the same bearing... this happened three times...I think the last time we didn’t do any leadfooting...the guy if I’m remembering correctly traded in on something???...
... I seriously doubt that the 1962 guy is the later day guy but you never know???...I do remember a black Corvair in the equation ...I think it was black but I’m not sure if that’s what the guy traded the 60 Chevy in on or whether that’s what the crank grinding guy was driving???...Dunno???

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
...1962... still in high school a guy that lived with us bought a 60 Chevy with a 348 tri power and an Isky roller... he had the car a short time and it spun a rod bearing... we found a mobile crank grinding guy who came out... ground the crank...put the proper bearings in... we went out to test drive the car the next day and it spun the same bearing... this happened three times...I think the last time we didn’t do any leadfooting...the guy if I’m remembering correctly traded in on something???...
... I seriously doubt that the 1962 guy is the later day guy but you never know???...I do remember a black Corvair in the equation ...I think it was black but I’m not sure if that’s what the guy traded the 60 Chevy in on or whether that’s with the crank grinding guy was driving???...Dunno???
Very well could've been the guy. I figure he was early to mid 80s about 2000! I don't know how many guys in SoCal were doing that kind of thing, but couldn't have been many.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’d be interested in seeing what is behind the lathe. There is something in the background

spectras only

Reaction score
This is my Australian 9" Hercus lathe. Atlas , Southbend Myford and a few more makes are similar. The Hercus was the trade school's choice in Australia to teach machinists in the 50's and 60's. I can cut SAE or metric threads with the gear box selector and have milling attachment steady post, and assorted tools with it. Quite practical unit. I have the cast iron bases as seen in the picture but can be tool bench mountable. What I like about this lathe is, when it's removed from the pedestals, two people can carry it. easily.
20150214_143139.jpg

Last edited: