WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Day 3 on the water or ; "Are you Rick?" "If I was I'd have a mad clip for you"

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I made breakfast for the family here in Isthmus Cove, then we went for a hike.
The Harbor Patrol tied-up on the mooring next to us up a Ghetto boat full of thugs who decided to take a ramshackle beat up old cabin cruiser fishing.
The engine grenaded, they managed to get towed in, and Catalina Express was kind enough to give them tickets back to the mainland.

They weren't gone fast enough.

I'd wager the boat will eventually be abandon,, and the authorities do what they have to do with it in a case like that.

We ran the dinghy over to the lower campground beach for the kids to snorkel in more shallow water. The clear blue water here is amazing.

On the way over we past several people rowing their dingys that way too. They were caught in irons making no progress with the wind and tide so we offered them to tie to one another and we towed them over too.
That was fun, and we hooked up with those folks later at the Reef bar while the kids built sand castles.

Three guys from Texas walked up to the bar and ordered drinks. They had sailed over with a fourth party that lives in the OC that was still on the boat.

The Texans just got released from the Sheriffs jail here in Two Harbors. Seems the night before they had stolen a dinghy, drove it out to their friends boat,, then set it adrift.

A boater in the channel in route to Two Harbors spotted it, brought it to the Harbor masters dock.
It had been reported stolen, the Sheriffs came over,, and low and behold,, the thieves left their wallets in the Dingy.

Within about 15 minutes they were located, hooked up, and in the cooler.

The dinghys owner Rick, evidently didn't want to press it ,, just glad to get it back.
The Sheriff then told them what they would be facing if no-drama Rick had pressed charges,,"You'd all be on a jail boat to Avalon,, then to County Jail."

I'd a been pretty pissed off it it were me.
The Texans asked me if I was Rick the (the owner), and said "No, but if i was you'd be subject to a mad mans mad clip."
They got quiet,, and left.

Doesn't seem like much reading it in the forum,, but your dingy is expensive, and too important to have asswipes like these guys pull shit like that and ruin your vacation.

On the dumbshit list I forgot to run the generator for a couple days,, so the batteries were flat assed dead out of my pure dumbshitness.
The 12V direct TV receivers really draw some amps.

I waited all night, dead in the water because their is a strict no generator rule in the harbors, the big Merc 502's need lots of starting amps to draw from.

Lucky me, our super easy-to-start German-built marine generator fired up on what little battery power we had left.
It's amazing, it's starts effortlessly, and is sooo quiet.

A HUGE, high dollar boat dealer was throwing a beach party for his customers near the Reef Restaurant.
Some of his customer-party goers made it up to where we were having a
beer.

Our boat wouldn't even make the sales tax on this line of boat these folks have.
Several of the families met our 11 year old on the beach that was leading the sand castle building, and they wanted to chat with us.

The conversation eventually turned to Oceanside,,then cars,, then to Saabs and BMW's,, then to Ziggy.
They all remembered Ziggy as the mechanic.
I corrected them to Ziggys place in the chain of command, then the conversation turned to our CRS (can't remember shit), and they invited us out to visit some of the mega-Yaughts (sic) the dealer had brought along to demo.

Amazing to walk through them. Several rooms all with seperate bath, full laundrys,, salt to fresh water conversion,,, chart/nav room,, a million bucks still buys a lot.

Today,, no boozing, a few more of our kids will join us coming over on the Cattle boat,, we'll barbeque on the swim step,, and just enjoy a beautiful day here in Catalina.

Last edited:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Great read Ross.

We are leaving Huntington Harbor in a couple hours for Avalon.

We have a bright blue dingy. Maybe that's why nobody steals it. Easy to spot at the isthmus dingy dock out of the 100's tied there.

Enjoy your kids.

Sent from my high performance threadcraping iPhone.

lebel409

Reaction score
The weather there is awesome. We got home from Balboa last night and everything was perfect.

Our Boy scout troop is headed to Emerald Bay around noon, so they should have a great week also.

shueman

Reaction score
Great read indeed...:cool: Only thing missing is some PIX...:D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Great read Ross.

We are leaving Huntington Harbor in a couple hours for Avalon.

We have a bright blue dingy. Maybe that's why nobody steals it. Easy to spot at the isthmus dingy dock out of the 100's tied there.

Enjoy your kids.

:thumbsup

The weather there is awesome. We got home from Balboa last night and everything was perfect.

Our Boy scout troop is headed to Emerald Bay around noon, so they should have a great week also.

Kinda cool, the camp counselors all line up on the dock and sing as the BSA boat arrives. They are dressed in their full tactical camping gear, looks awesome.
I'll try and get a video, I love that kinda stuff. We'll head up there at noon.

Great read indeed...:cool: Only thing missing is some PIX...:D
Still haven't found the cable,, we"ll try some Flip videos today.

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
Would you mind posting a link to the boat you bought Ross?
I know some of us are very curious as to what you guys bought:thumbsup

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
We used to go camp every year at the hillside campground there. My kids and I were in the Crow Tribe from the Indian Guides from the La Jolla YMCA. The water there was always so clear. The beach is great. Some years we would be at the top campground, sometimes in the middle, and once at the bottom one. We celebrated with bacon wrapped shrimp on skewers and big bottle of rum.

The beach campsite is awesome, but you find that you're a target from the water balloons coming from up the hill. Its the price you pay for being at the bottom of the hill.

We'd walk over for ice cream in town. Fun lazy days just hanging out and goofing around.

One of the dads learned that if you keep raw chicken in the cooler, don't make margaritas with the ice! :D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We used to go camp every year at the hillside campground there. My kids and I were in the Crow Tribe from the Indian Guides from the La Jolla YMCA. The water there was always so clear. The beach is great. Some years we would be at the top campground, sometimes in the middle, and once at the bottom one. We celebrated with bacon wrapped shrimp on skewers and big bottle of rum.

The beach campsite is awesome, but you find that you're a target from the water balloons coming from up the hill. Its the price you pay for being at the bottom of the hill.

We'd walk over for ice cream in town. Fun lazy days just hanging out and goofing around.

One of the dads learned that if you keep raw chicken in the cooler, don't make margaritas with the ice! :D

:D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We were heading up the pier and the Ghetto boat people were back on the dock at the office giving the Harbor Master chick a shit storm of crap.

Their junk was taking on water and un-manned, so the next step is to remove the boat from the harbor.
So the Sheriff showed up and told them how it was going to be,, then the Harbor Master had their boat towed out of the harbor and they are gone.

Walking along Cat Harbor several giant Bat Rays followed us down the beach.

That was way cool.
I video'd it but it didn't take too well in the glare off the water.

A few doctors recognized the wife so last night we dingied around Cherry and 4th of July Cove visiting their boats.

High performance, lightweight Dingys are the subject these days. People want more than just transportation to the dock and back.
Some interesting set-ups are starting to appear. We'll have to do a piece or two on them.
They are a blast to drive.

Nice out this morning sitting on the deck, listening to the surf, maybe 67 deg F.
Sunrise in 2 hrs 33 minutes.

scottietwohoty

Reaction score
We were heading up the pier and the Ghetto boat people were back on the dock at the office giving the Harbor Master chick a shit storm of crap.

Their junk was taking on water and un-manned, so the next step is to remove the boat from the harbor.
So the Sheriff showed up and told them how it was going to be,, then the Harbor Master had their boat towed out of the harbor and they are gone.

Walking along Cat Harbor several giant Bat Rays followed us down the beach.

That was way cool.
I video'd it but it didn't take too well in the glare off the water.

A few doctors recognized the wife so last night we dingied around Cherry and 4th of July Cove visiting their boats.

High performance, lightweight Dingys are the subject these days. People want more than just transportation to the dock and back.
Some interesting set-ups are starting to appear. We'll have to do a piece or two on them.
They are a blast to drive.

Nice out this morning sitting on the deck, listening to the surf, maybe 67 deg F.
Sunrise in 2 hrs 33 minutes.

DAM!!! You really do live the life!!! Enjoy it brotha sounds like you have a great family and you know how to have a great time where ever you go!!! I LOVE reading your stories.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

ArcadiaBrad

Reaction score
Where were you moored. We were over at Emerald Fri./Sat. Dinner at the Reef Fri. Dinner at 4th of July Sat.

I'm sure we crossed paths.

That manufacturer party was insane.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Seems the beach/ocean was the place to be this weekend. The cool weather was absolutly perfect.

You guys enjoy your time there. I sure enjoyed mine this weekend.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Seems the beach/ocean was the place to be this weekend. The cool weather was absolutly perfect.

You guys enjoy your time there. I sure enjoyed mine this weekend.

It's not a bad place to live either. We've had some great weather around here lately. Kinda on the cool side actually. Hell its only like 68 here right now. Sun just finally peeked through the marine layer. :thumbsup:D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It's not a bad place to live either. We've had some great weather around here lately. Kinda on the cool side actually. Hell its only like 68 here right now. Sun just finally peeked through the marine layer. :thumbsup:D

It was like that all weekend up north. Cool and foggy in the morning, sunny and warm all afternoon.

This is the mildest summer i can remember in AGES!!! CA does have its good points...

:champagne:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
It was like that all weekend up north. Cool and foggy in the morning, sunny and warm all afternoon.

This is the mildest summer i can remember in AGES!!! CA does have its good points...

:champagne:

Yes it has been a cool summer here. Kinda making me wonder if we're gonna have a hot September. I don't even think its gotten above 85 yet here this summer.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Great stories - It sounds like you are enjoying your new boat - congrats! If you have any interest in poker runs, the SCOPE poker run is in a couple of weeks - There is a lunch stop at the Isthmus where all of the boats will get moorings and have a nice BBQ lunch for a few hours. Even if you don't have any interest in participating in the poker run, there will be some nice hardware coming to the Island and should be fun to watch if you're over there.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yes it has been a cool summer here. Kinda making me wonder if we're gonna have a hot September. I don't even think its gotten above 85 yet here this summer.

I dunno. Maybe we should move to pheenicks. i heard the dust storms there are just awesome! :D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
DAM!!! You really do live the life!!! Enjoy it brotha sounds like you have a great family and you know how to have a great time where ever you go!!! I LOVE reading your stories.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Thanks Scotty :thumbsup

[video=youtube;1eIOQZgTv7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eIOQZgTv7E[/video]

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
I like Helen:thumbsup
My wife & I grew up on sailboats but I would love to have a dual helm powerboat.
Cheers to you & your family for spending so much time together:champagne:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I like Helen:thumbsup
My wife & I grew up on sailboats but I would love to have a dual helm powerboat.
Cheers to you & your family for spending so much time together:champagne:

One thing we observe with sail boaters is their lack of families and kids. My kids are swimming yesterday and our sailboat neighbors just complain about everything. I have them on ignore now.

screaming pete

Reaction score
is Helen an old converted mine sweeper like John waynes old boat?