WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Daytona single step vs double step??

BigQ

Reaction score
So I think i asked this before, but I have small gray matter and can't hold shit forever. Anyway, is their a big difference between a single step and a double step Daytona hull and if so what year did it change. I am not talking 100MPH more like 80MPH top speed or thereabouts.:rolleyes:

x7734x

Reaction score
I was told by a few people that the single step runs faster with the same power.

Donnie

Reaction score
I have been told by alot of friends that the single step is a little faster. Mine is a single step 1996 25 daytona but I have a real low X deminsion, so mine not a really good comparison. 940hp about 110mph.

BigQ

Reaction score
The one I was looking at is a 97...

Has a 540 NA motor with, he said 20 hrs since rebuild. I just thought i heard they were a bit more unpredictable, but maybe not. I don't need to go even close to 100 anymore just like the stability.

The one I saw is actually in Cave Creek AZ.

Donnie

Reaction score
The one I was looking at is a 97...

Has a 540 NA motor with, he said 20 hrs since rebuild. I just thought i heard they were a bit more unpredictable, but maybe not. I don't need to go even close to 100 anymore just like the stability.

The one I saw is actually in Cave Creek AZ.

I don't think you can say one is more predictable than the other, and I wouldn't let the the fact that it's a twin step or single persuade you one way or the other.
If you looking for one mine is for sale:D

sean

Reaction score
mine had 2 steps one inside another. but then again it was very different than other daytonas for some reason. like donnie said dont let the bottom sway you if speed isnt your goal. heck at 80 your just out of the 70's porp that they have. i can tell you donnie's is a hell of a deal:D if i could swing 2 boats ild have her for parker:thumbsup

Andy01

Reaction score
The single step has more of a porpoise, a lot more then the twin step. Most of the single step bottoms have a fixed set of tunnel tabs on the back. The twin step later Daytonas do not. The tabs were done to reduce the porpoise.
I have heard the rumors of faster with single step and so on. The truth is if there is even a difference at all it is very small.
If your looking for a 80 mph Daytona look for a 1998 twin step or newer with at least a 502 mag or better. A 500hp would put that boat at 80mph.
I can tell you that from most of the Daytona owners I know and have sold boats to they all want more power two months later. At 80 the 25 Daytona is just starting to get up on top of the water and run hard. 100 is fun. If you can handle the insurance and gas of a blown deal the 25 Daytona with 800hp or more is a blast.
I have also heard one has more room inside the cockpit then the other. Something to do with the step and bulchead if I remember correct. Not sure on that, something I remember hearing. A couple of inchs difference.
Andy

BigQ

Reaction score
Well it looks like a finance company will not do a Daytona with an HP 500 at least at a reasonable rate. My insurance company did not have a problem with it @ 600 a year, but a blower motor was another deal. I really wanted a Daytona, but not at 16% interest:thumbsdown It's a shame I found what i thought was a great dealeo on a 25 with the HP500. Oh well back to a V I guess.:(

Just noticed you were at Seadream Andy, it may have been you i talked to yesterday.:D

HBCraig

Reaction score
The single step has more of a porpoise, a lot more then the twin step. Most of the single step bottoms have a fixed set of tunnel tabs on the back. The twin step later Daytonas do not. The tabs were done to reduce the porpoise.
I have heard the rumors of faster with single step and so on. The truth is if there is even a difference at all it is very small.
If your looking for a 80 mph Daytona look for a 1998 twin step or newer with at least a 502 mag or better. A 500hp would put that boat at 80mph.
I can tell you that from most of the Daytona owners I know and have sold boats to they all want more power two months later. At 80 the 25 Daytona is just starting to get up on top of the water and run hard. 100 is fun. If you can handle the insurance and gas of a blown deal the 25 Daytona with 800hp or more is a blast.
I have also heard one has more room inside the cockpit then the other. Something to do with the step and bulchead if I remember correct. Not sure on that, something I remember hearing. A couple of inchs difference.
Andy

Everything Andy said is EXACTLY what my daytona buddies have told me that have owned both. Single steps porpoise more and need some power to get up and go. The double step would be better if you have moderate power and dont really enjoy the porpoising.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Andy

Andy,

Are there very many N/A Daytonas out there? Ive seen a coulpe but most of the ones Ive seen run blower motors. Seems blower motors are much more common in them? Why?

Andy01

Reaction score
Andy,

Are there very many N/A Daytonas out there? Ive seen a coulpe but most of the ones Ive seen run blower motors. Seems blower motors are much more common in them? Why?

Very few out there. A couple of reasons come to mind.

Back in the late 90's early 2000's when many owners were moving up in power, big cube motor would only make 6-700 hp. 80-90mph. A blower motor could make a easy 800.
It cost more to do a 600 ci motor versus a 540 blown carb deal back then. Now today, a nice efi blown 540-588 new style will make 1,200hp, and a 600 ci efi nonblown deal can make 800. It is just the difference in times. Tough for financing a big blower motor in this market though. Most banks are staying away from the huge hp stuff.
A 25 with 800 will run 105-110. Remember these boats all weight in a little different. These are hand laid up boats. Some lite layup some heavy.

Andy

BigQ

Reaction score
Andy,

They just had one at boaters outlet in Upland. 2002 with a stock 496 HO and full IMCO steering. Even with that financing is tougher. I gave up for now and blew my down on new countertops and tile for the house.:D

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Very few out there. A couple of reasons come to mind.

Back in the late 90's early 2000's when many owners were moving up in power, big cube motor would only make 6-700 hp. 80-90mph. A blower motor could make a easy 800.
It cost more to do a 600 ci motor versus a 540 blown carb deal back then. Now today, a nice efi blown 540-588 new style will make 1,200hp, and a 600 ci efi nonblown deal can make 800. It is just the difference in times. Tough for financing a big blower motor in this market though. Most banks are staying away from the huge hp stuff.
A 25 with 800 will run 105-110. Remember these boats all weight in a little different. These are hand laid up boats. Some lite layup some heavy.

Andy

Thanks for the reply. I talked to someone at Sea Dream a while back and he told me no way on finacing one. So Im stashing the cash till I can get one (hopefully by next season).

In your opinion, would you now reccomend a big n/a deal, or a blower deal. Id like to make between 800-900 hp. However, I have a 950hp n/a pump fuel motor waiting to be assembled. What kind of drive would you reccomend on a boat with that power? Ive seen a few XR's with IMCO lowers on 25 daytonas..

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
They just had one at boaters outlet in Upland. 2002 with a stock 496 HO and full IMCO steering. Even with that financing is tougher. I gave up for now and blew my down on new countertops and tile for the house.:D

I gave up as well on financing, took some of my down payment money and bought something else to use for now. I look at it as a good thing though as I really dont want a payment.

HULLSHOT

Reaction score
I had a single step 22 that porposed severly if you eased it up from 75-105. If you powered through it it would pop at about 90-95. it had a 540 blower motor in it and it ran best of 117. Now my other daytona (30 foot) had 4 steps in it and would rock slightly between 80 and 95 unless you powered through it then there was no porpose at all. Now this one had N/A motors and went best of 140. Everything under the hatch and it looked like a family grocery getter but would out run many of the big blower motor boats.:) try to get the double stepped hull you would be better off for the porpose factor.

dorramide7

Banned
Reaction score
Andy
Well it looks like a finance company will not do a Daytona with an HP 500 at least at a reasonable rate. My insurance company did not have a problem with it @ 600 a year, but a blower motor was another deal. I really wanted a Daytona, but not at 16% interest It's a shame I found what i thought was a great dealeo on a 25 with the HP500. Oh well back to a V I guess.

Just noticed you were at Seadream Andy, it may have been you i talked to yesterday.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
The Daytona pictured is a 1998, (for sale, less power) single step with the tunnel extenders on the rear. Bergeron over in Mesa rigged this boat from new. Everything we decided on was for MPH. Phil Bergeron and Bob Leach were in complete agreement on using a single step using tunnel extenders with a very very high "X" dimension. Everybody understood the characteristic porpoise of this hull going forward. As a previous poster stated the Daytona hull really doesn't hit the sweet spot till around 85 and is really not drivable below that. The porpoise "zone" on this setup is between 70-80 and disappears completely before and after. I can't really trim it out and make it any better, I've played with it.

I powered it with a blown and inter cooled 510, built by Larry Pedo. the boat on a cool day at Havasu with a light load will run 123-124. hot day anywhere 115. The engine dyno'd 1030 at 6500.

Im a new guy around here but have had blown tunnel boats for over 20 years, these things are a work in progress and are very very sensitive to small changes. I run a 28 labbed (Gibbs) 4 blade merc. prop. I picked up 6 mph consistantly just by sending the stock prop into Gibbs.

I think my long winded point is that there is no magic "fastest setup". Differing combinations I'm sure will give various results. Trusting guys that know what doesn't work is huge. Taking my power and going to put it back into a 21 either Daytona or GS Phantom.

boat001.jpg
[/IMG]

Regards

Last edited:

skydog

Reaction score
Nice stuff guys but if u can 04 or newer 27 they run 115-120 with 800 to 850hp. And zero hop at any speeds. Two steps .....
Skydog

Michael1

Reaction score
Well it looks like a finance company will not do a Daytona with an HP 500 at least at a reasonable rate. My insurance company did not have a problem with it @ 600 a year, but a blower motor was another deal.

What insurance company will insure these at $600 a year? Is that for all year round use?

Michael

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Nice stuff guys but if u can 04 or newer 27 they run 115-120 with 800 to 850hp. And zero hop at any speeds. Two steps .....
Skydog

:thumbsup I have an 04 with 720hp. Rides like a dream:thumbsup;)