WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DCB 24 Extreme HP questions

Gopher711

Reaction score
What can you guys tell me about these floats ? I've heard that the closed deck and multi step pad is extremely rare in this model..... 1997
I just bought this one here 496Mag / Bravo1 w/26p
Previous owner says it runs low 70's but what about with more HP ? What is its potential ? Thanks :thumbup:
image.jpg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Winspeed has one with a 525sc (which is the older 525. A Whippled 454). It runs mid 80's with 4 people in it. He plans on tweaking on it to see if he can get 100 put of it.

The fastest I have been in it is 86 or 87. It is a very stable feeling boat.

GregG

Reaction score
What can you guys tell me about these DCB 24 Extreme HP's ? I've heard that the closed deck and multi step pad is extremely rare in this model..... 1997. I just bought this one here 496Mag / Bravo1 w/26p. Previous owner says it runs low 70's but what about with more HP ? What is its potential ? Thanks

The 1997 24's were the same bottom as the 22 Extreme's running surface but with the swim platform added on. DCB later sold the molds to Ultra.

You can find 24 Extremes here and there but to find the "HP" model is rare. You'll want to get under the boat and check the bottom. The HP added a 2nd step as you mention, but I'm not sure on the 24 if they eliminated the small keel notch. You may see it under there or you may just see the flat pad running all the way forward. I'd suggest also that you try a Merc Rev4 on that hull. The Bravo is good but I think you will find the Rev4 better. You will want to run this boat for a full season to get used to the handling before you even think about more ponies. What does it have for steering on the back?

Very cool that you got one in closed deck :thumbsup

Gopher711

Reaction score
The 1997 24's were the same bottom as the 22 Extreme's running surface but with the swim platform added on. DCB later sold the molds to Ultra.

You can find 24 Extremes here and there but to find the "HP" model is rare. You'll want to get under the boat and check the bottom. The HP added a 2nd step as you mention, but I'm not sure on the 24 if they eliminated the small keel notch. You may see it under there or you may just see the flat pad running all the way forward. I'd suggest also that you try a Merc Rev4 on that hull. The Bravo is good but I think you will find the Rev4 better. You will want to run this boat for a full season to get used to the handling before you even think about more ponies. What does it have for steering on the back?

Very cool that you got one in closed deck :thumbsup
Hi Greg , and thanks for the replies ..id like to learn as much as possible about this hull
What is the Rev4 ? And handling tricks ? I haven't received the boat yet , it will be here on 6/2
image.jpg

But I'm used to going fast ;)
My other ride ...
image.jpg

Gopher711

Reaction score
Also IF I do anything drastic to it , it will be dual OB steering ...as far as the 496 goes it looks like the Whipple SC package is about the most bang for the buck using the stock engine platform ?

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Had a 97, 2 step HP with a 500hp/Bravo nose cone pick up, boat was solid and ran 80. Sold the boat 2 yrs ago to RDP member Bocco, wished I hadn't sold it. Hard to replace in size, comfort, & performance. Hopefully Bocco will kick in with additional info.

Gopher711

Reaction score
Had a 97, 2 step HP with a 500hp/Bravo nose cone pick up, boat was solid and ran 80. Sold the boat 2 yrs ago to RDP member Bocco, wished I hadn't sold it. Hard to replace in size, comfort, & performance. Hopefully Bocco will kick in with additional info.

Did you have the closed or open bow ? Do you remember what prop size it had ? Down the road I'd really like to put the Whipple SC on it

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Closed bow, 24 or 26 can't remember, Bocco would know for sure. Yes, that older edition SC motor from Mercruiser was a nice package

Gopher711

Reaction score
Closed bow, 24 or 26 can't remember, Bocco would know for sure. Yes, that older edition SC motor from Mercruiser was a nice package

How was the build quality of the boat ? Was it as good then as they are now ?

stevesdcb

Reaction score
My understanding is that the earlier years of DCB (97), the hulls were laid up by Eliminator then rigged by DCB. I was impressed with the build quality of the hull, no stress cracks, nice gel work and the hull worked well. Rigging was great. With the 500 hp it got on plane quick, had great mid-range punch, and had a nice stance in the water. The boat had been meticulously maintained and never beached.

Kinda hard to compare 20 years later with the new DCB'S and all the advances. The mold for the 24 HP is long gone from DCB stable. I don't think DCB even currently builds a boat less than 30 feet long and probably costing less than $300,000. IMO Dave always built/builds a quality boat.

I currently have a 94 Hallett 210 that I have been refreshing for 2 yrs. Like I mentioned before I wish I hadn't sold the DCB. Don't think I can afford a new DCB anytime soon:D

DCBEXTREME24HP

Reaction score
I have a 98 24 Extreme HP with the 502 in it. Love the boat and it runs great. Ive had it at 78 going down river, and will run 70-72 with 5 people, 2 full coolers, full tank, stuff under the bow, etc.

it has the 26p bravo 1 prop

GregG

Reaction score
I have a 98 24 Extreme HP with the 502 in it. Love the boat and it runs great. Ive had it at 78 going down river, and will run 70-72 with 5 people, 2 full coolers, full tank, stuff under the bow, etc.

it has the 26p bravo 1 prop

Have you ever tried a Mercury Rev4 prop on it to compare? I think you would like it.

Gopher711

Reaction score
Any other Extreme 24 owners have external steering ? If so ? How long are the external cylinders ?

GregG

Reaction score
Any other Extreme 24 owners have external steering ? If so ? How long are the external cylinders ?

Test a 23 pitch Rev4 from Mercury. They run a touch big and have more blade area than a Bravo. Take note of your RPM and GPS speed with the Bravo in slack water. You can then compare the Rev4. I would hold off on the investment of external steering until you get some seat time with the boat this season. If you like it all around, then write the check.

wac94

Reaction score
How do the 24HP's run on open water in Havasu on busy weekends? Can they handle it at a cruising speed?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
How do the 24HP's run on open water in Havasu on busy weekends? Can they handle it at a cruising speed?

They are a great riding boat, but it comes at some expense.. They are narrow beam compared to most of the other west coast boats so there's not a ton of room in them. Should also be noted that if you put any real power in them they chine walk pretty good so be prepared for that.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

RD

wac94

Reaction score
They are a great riding boat, but it comes at some expense.. They are narrow beam compared to most of the other west coast boats so there's not a ton of room in them. Should also be noted that if you put any real power in them they chine walk pretty good so be prepared for that.

RD

Thanks RD!
Yeah i have spent my life on ski boats so i am not sure i would know what to do if it started to chine walk on me! :lmao

Gopher711

Reaction score
E9B5029F-F17D-404D-AA48-27E1DFA1FC6B.png
Its only been a year since i got it but want to move up to a bigger boat , putting this out here for sale as some of you guys mentioned you might know someone looking ? If it dont sell , no biggie ill keep it and let my kids have it and ill buy me another but figured id post it anyways

Gopher711

Reaction score
View attachment 637903 Its only been a year since i got it but want to move up to a bigger boat , putting this out here for sale as some of you guys mentioned you might know someone looking ? If it dont sell , no biggie ill keep it and let my kids have it and ill buy me another but figured id post it anyways

Price drop to $21k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gopher711

Reaction score
Where do you run it at ?

Mathis lake , freshwater only , we have a house on the water . I have a jetboat and used this one just to cruise around in and chill when lake was too rough for the hot rod
Nathan who had it before me also took excellent care of it

bocco

Reaction score
I bought my boat from Steve about 3 years ago. I'm pretty happy with the boat over all. Like Dave says it's not the roomiest but usually it's just the wife and me.

It has a 500HP, 26P bravo one prop and 1.50 gears. Also external steering. The best I've gotten was 78mph in moderate chop on Clear Lake. In smooth Delta water I hit 74. I need to compare my prop to a new one as it looks like it may have had some work done and the blades may be a bit smaller. I also am curious to try a 28P since I almost always run pretty light.

Mine runs flat and straight without any chine walk. I have no tabs. My big complaint is that it bow steers a lot at idle speeds.

bocco

Reaction score
Looking at the boat for sale in Texas I would assume that the 496mag was a replacement motor. Also looks like the hatch sits higher than mine. Curious what speed it runs with the 496 and which prop.

Gopher711

Reaction score
I got 71 , 26p, 496 was installed to go with efi and ease of reliability

WINspeed

Reaction score

Mine has a single assist ram on it, I'll measure it and get back to you.

RD

Hey Dave what speeds are you talking here? Mine is dead nuts solid at 90. Once it's aired out on the pad I don't see it chine walking but then again I've only it 90 so far. The prop is beginning to blow out at that speed. I will need an Imco or sportmaster lower to go beyond the 90 mph mark. The motor is a bone stock 525sc too. This hull is very efficient for a V. I want to try a 2" shorty on this this and get rid of the rev limiter. No question it will run mid 90's in stock form and I'm hoping for the triple digits.

upload_2019-7-14_13-0-28.png

bocco

Reaction score
Mine has a single assist ram on it, I'll measure it and get back to you.

Hey Dave what speeds are you talking here? Mine is dead nuts solid at 90. Once it's aired out on the pad I don't see it chine walking but then again I've only it 90 so far. The prop is beginning to blow out at that speed. I will need an Imco or sportmaster lower to go beyond the 90 mph mark. The motor is a bone stock 525sc too. This hull is very efficient for a V. I want to try a 2" shorty on this this and get rid of the rev limiter. No question it will run mid 90's in stock form and I'm hoping for the triple digits.

View attachment 775472

This one seems to air out more than mine. What prop are you running? 1.50 gears?

WINspeed

Reaction score
This one seems to air out more than mine. What prop are you running? 1.50 gears?

Hey whats up BOCCO, I run either a 26, 28 or 30 depending on what I'm doing. Yes it has 1.50 gears, still all stock. You are welcome to try any of my props.

Reaction score
I now own the 97 DCB on this page. So far love the boat. Has the 26p prop on it now would changing it get it to pick up a little more speed.

bocco

Reaction score
Hey whats up BOCCO, I run either a 26, 28 or 30 depending on what I'm doing. Yes it has 1.50 gears, still all stock. You are welcome to try any of my props.

Thanks for the offer. PM sent.