WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DCB Delivers M33R to Chad and Diana Budge

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
DCB has completed and delivered a "custom" M33 for Chad and Diana Budge! Now all DCB's are built to the owners specs so technically all of them are "custom." The reason that I used the word in the opening statements of the article is to say that this DCB truly isn't like any of the other ones out there to date! We originally saw Timmons changed the transom on his boat to give it a slightly different look.

Chad took that a step further by carrying that rounded edge not only across the outer edges, but across the whole transom and added recessed troughs dedicated to the rigging hoses for the outboards. It wasn't cheap, but it really did finish off the transom exactly the way he envisioned it, while also proving that DCB is capable of building anything a customer desires. The price tag isn't for the faint of heart, and the process can be repeated again on future builds for around 7500.00.

(Pictured below you can see the top cap is rounded off across the entire transom and the troughs created for the outboard rigging)
dcb-m33-budge-2020-tom-leigh-857.jpg

By comparison the factory transom would typically have a flat where that rounded off edge is and the outboard hoses would land on the top cap typically.

(Picture of a rendering of another recent DCB Build just to show the difference in a factory transom vs the new mod)
Scott James M33R render 3B 5.jpg

This is a very subtle difference and most wouldn't notice it, but lets be realistic when you are building a brand new DCB you are catering to people with discerning tastes, and it was something custom that I thought was worth mentioning.

Chad and Diane have been around the boating seen and have a resume of boats that starts off with humble beginnings in the form of a Glastron with a Merc 260. In talking to him on the phone his love and passion for boating was pretty obvious as we went through the list of boats he has owned in the past, he would chuckle and relive for a brief second a memory or two. When talking about the Glastron he was laughing and saying "You know Dave that was a pretty fast boat back then! I think it topped out at almost 60 mph!"

dcb-m33-budge-2020-tom-leigh-681.jpg

After the Glastron they stepped into "big boat" life in the form of an Eliminator 24 Mohave. For those that remember that model was the one with the giant windows on the deck. It didn't take long for him to get the itch, and the motor upgrades started and with the speed came the constant problems of reliability with it. I have to admit I don't think I've ever seen a hopped up Mohave, but Chad had one. They moved onto a 27 Victory and from their went back after the speed bug in the form of Several 28 Bullets. It should be noted that from the Mohave on almost all of these boats were powered by mild to wild Pfaff power!

dcb-m33-budge-2020-tom-leigh-469.jpg

At some point down the timeline they took a ride in a friends DCB M31 with 700's, and that was a game changer. Putting up #'s that are almost impossible to do with a Vee, and doing it in comfort is something that once you experience it's hard to go back. It was only a matter of time and they ended up owning that very boat, and starting their journey down a rabbit hole that would ultimately land them in what would be the peak of their performance career in another M31 with 1100's.

dcb-m33-budge-2020-tom-leigh-440.jpg

Like most they have drifted over to the Outboard side of things in the hopes of fun yet still high performance boating without the drawbacks of the I/O's, so they shifted to a M33R with 400's. They enjoyed the boat, the reliability, and overall decrease in costs with the outboards they had finally hit the trifecta. Things seemed fine until they happened to drive one with 450's which brings us to now.

According to Chad the punch of the 450's and overall performance gains was absolutely worth the transition. With this latest build he got exactly what he was looking for, and he couldn't have more praise for dealing with the Team at DCB. It's rare you find a boat company that to paraphrase Chad "Says what they do, and does what they say." He had some custom ideas and they pulled it off, not only with the glass work, but exactly what he wanted for the rest of the build.

dcb-m33-budge-2020-tom-leigh-316-2.jpg

We took a minute and asked Chad what his favorite aspect of the M33R was compared to the boats he had owned in the past. He was quick to say "The boat is completely docile and anybody can drive this boat." While his wife has plenty of experience under her belt from decades of boating Chad chuckled when he said "My wife was just running it a little over 100 mph right now. We stopped to call you back!"

dcb-m33-budge-2020-tom-leigh-253.jpg

The Budge family is located out of Wyoming, but you can look for this boat regularly at Jackson Lake, Faming Gorge, and even up at Shuswap in Canada! If you seem them out on the lake they are very friendly and approachable people that love being out on the water so make sure you say hello.

Chad, while your favorite aspect of your new 33 might be the handling characteristics, my favorite part of the build is the timeless graphics you chose, and how the boat looks at rest in the water!

dcb-m33-budge-2020-tom-leigh-106-2.jpg

Words : RiverDave
Photos : Tommygun Images

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
These are the build pics that are regularly sent to the customer as the boat is being finished. They aren't in any particular order, but I thought you guys would like to see them and some of the details of the build.

As you can see they chose carpet over Sea Deck, with a diamond pattern in the carpet.

4.JPG
38.JPG

One of the things I really like that they are doing now are the billet adjustable foot racks! I was talking to Jeff at DCB about these and I think this would be a marketable item in aftermarket as well as possibly to other Mfg's.

37.JPG

As always the rigging at DCB is "Hospital" clean..
36.JPG
35.JPG

Under Cabin lights (map lights) come in two colors.. Shown here with white lights.
34.JPG

They also have separate blue lights for effect. (Note you can turn off the white lights independently if you want it to show a darker color blue.)
33.JPG
32.JPG

Chad chose a single wide angle rear view, and opted to ditch the camera mounts.

31.JPG
30.JPG
29.JPG

Fusion stereo and you can see the boat has "car to car" or in this case "boat to boat" and is programmed with the "DCB" channel.

28.JPG

Here you can see where they hid the ignition keys and the PCI radio.

27.JPG
26.JPG

I am sure they have done them before, but I thought the little LED's on the back of the seats were a nice touch. It's the first time I've noticed them.
25.JPG
24.3.JPG
24.2.JPG
24.1.JPG
23.2.JPG
23.1.JPG
22.JPG
21.JPG
20.JPG
19.JPG
18.JPG

One of the things I really like is the integrated fender storage on either side of the deck. The center hatch is a large storage area that is self draining into the bilge.
17.JPG
16.JPG
15.JPG

Here you can see the STR billet brackets they are using on their builds. I'm not sure why they aren't Mfg'ing these in house? They used to make something similar out of their machine shop back in the day. Seems like all the high end boat mfg's use these brackets now though.
14.2.JPG

Motors are upgraded to "Fusion White" and you can see DCB installed LED's under the cowlings to give them a glow effect. (This is a 650.00 option from DCB btw)

14.1.JPG

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Gorgeous boat, great background and write-up, RD. Nice to live vicariously through the Budges (for a few minutes anyway)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
To the "Punch" of the matter, this particular M33R with 450's ran 131 mph on Lake Havasu! That said in talking to Chad it's a solid "125 mph" with people and gear on board, which is what he was looking for out of it.

The balance of the detail pics.

Congrats again to Chad and Diane!

13.JPG
12.JPG
11.JPG
10.jpg
9.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg
6.JPG
5.JPG
4.JPG

In this last pic of the initial rendering you can see that they changed it to the final product.
0.jpg

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
Love the gel on this boat. Absolutely beautiful. Great write up RD. Thanks.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Flawless, perfection and pride. It looks outstanding on the water and those 450’s sing on the water as it goes by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverryder

Reaction score
it seems unimaginable to have the kind of money to order something like that! must be the greatest feeling to have money laying around to spend on a boat like this!!!

congrats to dcb and the owners! boat looks amazing!!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Great write up and pics. That is a beautiful piece of work. It has the attitude, and no need for being "overdone". No one thing grabs you, just a nice finished product.

Maybe someday...

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
The stitching on that interior is amazing. whatever they're using with that wide pattern that criss crosses is really unique.

Surprised that DCB doesnt just change the design of their hulls for that little recess and the rounded edge... its def a much cleaner design and has a much better flow for the rigging/hose.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I love the way DCB has gone, really since the beginning. But little stuff like this is so awesome in my opinion, almost wonder if they won’t do that rounded touch some more. Not in a bad way at all but imho it kinda gives it more the Skater MTI look for some reason to me.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Gorgeous build, congrats to the Budge’s! I need to get into real estate in Jackson Hole... one day!

Reactions: DWC

95Enforcer

Reaction score
Beautiful boat with such amazing rigging and detail. Love the DCB’s. Maybe someday.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Sharp looking ride and really nice people. Looking forward to seeing boat on the water.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Gotta ask because I have not spent any time in one with the new Alcantara material interiors but how do they hold up with numskulls that layer on too much sunblock and perspire on a hot summer day in Havasu?

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
All I can say is WOW. Beautiful boat.

I wonder if DCB was able to “Budge”on the price? LOL. Sorry couldn’t help it!

Congratulations to the new owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Gotta ask because I have not spent any time in one with the new Alcantara material interiors but how do they hold up with numskulls that layer on too much sunblock and perspire on a hot summer day in Havasu?
Bump. Swear I was not trying to be a smart ass, I was really hoping someone would be willing to answer how durable (to maintain) it is for Havasu?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Bump. Swear I was not trying to be a smart ass, I was really hoping someone would be willing to answer how durable (to maintain) it is for Havasu?

Everybody I know with it hasn't had any problems with it. They say it is "cooler" to the touch than vinyl. It has a very exotic sports car feel to it. Some of the mfg's are now switching over to a kind of textured vinyl that is "cool touch".

RD

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Everybody I know with it hasn't had any problems with it. They say it is "cooler" to the touch than vinyl. It has a very exotic sports car feel to it. Some of the mfg's are now switching over to a kind of textured vinyl that is "cool touch".

RD
Thanks RD. Stain potential?