WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DCB down at Buckskin

Joker

Reaction score
Man…thats horrible but sounds like all will recover. Property isnt shit compared to a life.

paul…Did you say the wife broke collar bone(s). Thats gotta be unbearable pain if she broke both.

hope she isnt in too much pain but thats a tough one.

Especially if she didn’t have a vest on and trying to stay afloat with that injury. Thank goodness it’s not any worse

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
true, however i have it set so i dont see the posts from those pages so i dont have to read them. i have to actually go to their pages and look. sometimes its good entertainement to go look, other times it just makes you feel better about yourself... kinda like going to walmart.

I have mine set the same, and it's damn good fun to troll on there sometimes. Especially after a few beers. I got scolded yesterday a couple times on the RDP FB page.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
It is. He recently purchased it. Boat rolled at 40mph making a sweeping turn. Everyone is ok. Wife broke her collar bones. I just took this pic. View attachment 1028541

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let me guess….. a roller off of a wakeboard boat plowing the river? Wouldn't suprise me. Could have been worse im sure. Krappy deal.

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
All these posts and nothing about an evil roll bar boat in the area?
Great explanation Walt!
Glad everyone is OK.

@AZLineman beat me to it!

traquer

Reaction score
Nice boat! I'd hire a professional recovery service, insurance is gonna be paying out either way for all the motors and whatnot. Glad everyone is ok!

Boat 405

Reaction score
Single or a twin? Very easy to roll a twin if the turn arc is held too long. The inside prop will contact the center tunnel wash eventually and loose grip and the outside engine will spin the boat around. Simple to do in a twin unless you turn them the correct way.
Exactly my thought. With a single it would be pretty tough to do, but with twins this can happen faster than you think.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Single or a twin? Very easy to roll a twin if the turn arc is held too long. The inside prop will contact the center tunnel wash eventually and loose grip and the outside engine will spin the boat around. Simple to do in a twin unless you turn them the correct way.
Walt, what is the correct way? I will sometimes steer with adding throttle to the outside motor when trimmed up and going fast, never felt like it was going to spin. I have spun before in a single engine cat at maybe 40 mph, felt like it was going to roll but spun instead, scary.

Reaction score
coincidence ? that this dcb rolls the same day the dcb shop owner is posting on daves thread, just weird....

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Now really....is that necessary....come on

If this had been a rental boat, a wake boat, or a PWC, every post in the thread would be a disparaging remark. You know that and I know that.

Its no different that the guy that goes and buys a 500HP Corvette and slams it into a telephone pole on the way home from the dealer. You buy a piece of hardware like a fast car or a DCB, it has to be respected. If it was slow rolled at 40... obviously the driver made a mistake. And if you don't know how to handle the boat you just bought you are a danger to others out on the water. Get some experience, take a class, do what you need to do.

Some of these boats are serious pieces of hardware, and they aren't the only ones out there on the water.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
If this had been a rental boat, a wake boat or a PWC, that would be every post in the thread. You know that and I know that.

Its no different that the guy that goes and buys a 500HP Corvette and slams it into a telephone pole on the way home. You buy a piece of hardware like a fast car or a DCB, it has to be respected. If it was slow rolled at 40... obviously the driver made a mistake.

Maybe a drive broke? We don't know exactly what happened.

I just prefer to wait and hopefully hear what happened. Most times we never know for sure.

attitude

Reaction score

I just prefer to wait and hopefully hear what happened. Most times we never know for sure.
E7850531-80A7-4788-9EB4-23CAE27B1C3D.jpeg

What I figured happened happened. Turning a cat at slow speed is very uneasy feeling, you can feel the outer sponson want to dip into troughs and pull your bow around. I only have a couple years of experience in a cat but maybe one of the other members here can say if there is anything you can do to counteract this.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Unfortunately it sounded like the boat dug in a sponson and rolled.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
View attachment 1028686
What I figured happened happened. Turning a cat at slow speed is very uneasy feeling, you can feel the outer sponson want to dip into troughs and pull your bow around. I only have a couple years of experience in a cat but maybe one of the other members here can say if there is anything you can do to counteract this.

Get the sponson up by steering out a bit and/or throttling out... no cat experience either, but that seems logical. Turning in harder and backing off would make it hook harder. You gotta get the bow up or level it out in that situation.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, question time for guys that know these types of boats. I have never driven anything with twins, nor any cat with power. So, I read guys saying the outer sponsor can dig in a turn. Is this the equivalent of snow skiis, too much weight or force on the outside and over you go? On cats like this or others, can you trim them to be "more loose" in the turns? If so, how do you keep the stern from coming around?

I hope he's doing everything possible to help his wife out. Breaking both collar bones is no joke...hard to do anything.

attitude

Reaction score
Get the sponson up by steering out a bit and/or throttling out... no cat experience either, but that seems logical. Turning in harder and backing off would make it hook harder. You gotta get the bow up or level it out in that situation.
I understand the throttling aspect and not pulling back on the sticks and making the nose dig in while trying to turn, I’m more so talking about when you are at a constant speed of 40ish you can feel them hunt around and short of just speeding up I’m not sure of another way to counteract this.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I understand the throttling aspect and not pulling back on the sticks and making the nose dig in while trying to turn, I’m more so talking about when you are at a constant speed of 40ish you can feel them hunt around and short of just speeding up I’m not sure of another way to counteract this.

Its the nature of the boat, It is not made to go slow. That is why owners of these high performance boats should take a high performance boating class.

When I take hard turns at 40-45 in my little slow boat it feels weird, I know I could get it to spin out if I did something stupid with the steering wheel. I have had it "drift" a bit before and If I had a sponson out there up front that could just dig in a grab during that type of maneuver yea I can totally see it upsetting the boat.

Then you add in weird currents around bends, and wakes from other boats... a lot going on.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Ok, question time for guys that know these types of boats. I have never driven anything with twins, nor any cat with power. So, I read guys saying the outer sponsor can dig in a turn. Is this the equivalent of snow skiis, too much weight or force on the outside and over you go? On cats like this or others, can you trim them to be "more loose" in the turns? If so, how do you keep the stern from coming around?

I hope he's doing everything possible to help his wife out. Breaking both collar bones is no joke...hard to do anything.

I saw an Eliminator do this in front of me around the sand bar and It pretty much did what is being described... It just pirouetted on itself. When people say one motor looses "grip" that is what it looked like. It drove the inner sponson into the water and it stuck, and spun, it didn't do the full barrel roll. That one was really anticlimactic.. The 2 guys looked really surprised obviously. I think he pulled it out of gear in the spin because it was just sitting there stopped, and then he took off.

Last edited:

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Wouldn't say that if you'd ridden in a Bayliner 3870 in beam seas 🤮🤮🤮
Was it the Bayliner Liberty(?) that had the flybridge and gunwale to gunwale massive fuel tank that when half full one thought it would roll right over if one was on it in heavy seas.

Taboma

Reaction score
Was it the Bayliner Liberty(?) that had the flybridge and gunwale to gunwale massive fuel tank that when half full one thought it would roll right over if one was on it in heavy seas.

No, but same concept only this one is their 38' sedan with flybridge, with small twin 4 banger diesels, very light layup and rather round bottom, made for one rollie pollie ride in anything but calm seas.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

If you have ever been on Parker this isn’t a lot of room to do what you are talking about. If he took the Tres class, Tres can teach you how to make the boat lean to the inside even at slow speeds.

DWC

Reaction score
Do we have a RDP premium member delete code word? Brown bear, Cuuckooo cuckoo, crow flies east in the evening type of deal? If i do some stupid that gets caught in pics how do i purge it before 100 posts? Asking for a friend.

DWC

Reaction score
Its the nature of the boat, It is not made to go slow. That is why owners of these high performance boats should take a high performance boating class.

When I take hard turns at 40-45 in my little slow boat it feels weird, I know I could get it to spin out if I did something stupid with the steering wheel. I have had it "drift" a bit before and If I had a sponson out there up front that could just dig in a grab during that type of maneuver yea I can totally see it upsetting the boat.

Then you add in weird currents around bends, and wakes from other boats... a lot going on.
I’m not familiar with the water on Parker but the turns around the sandbar can get your attention depending on boat traffic and water flow. You can feel it get a little squirrelly around the first bend heading up river.

A242731C-75B1-4778-AF22-7928828B9883.jpeg

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

The theory Tres teaches you is to return the wheel to 12 o’clock to load the rails inside the sponsons, and then continue your turn. You will feel the boat take a good set and lean inside in the corner. The F32 is really safe boat, I like them better than the m31. They are heavier and they feel like a Cadillac.

In no way am I telling someone to try this or that this is correct. I know what I do, but I have a lot of cat experience and have owned multiple cats. You guys do what you feel is safe or take a course to get some knowledge.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The theory Tres teaches you is to return the wheel to 12 o’clock to load the rails inside the sponsons, and then continue your turn. You will feel the boat take a good set and lean inside in the corner. The F32 is really safe boat, I like them better than the m31. They are heavier and they feel like a Cadillac.

In no way am I telling someone to try this or that this is correct. I know what I do, but I have a lot of cat experience and have owned multiple cats. You guys do what you feel is safe or take a course to get some knowledge.

That makes sense.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score

I do 75% of my boating at 45mph, I don’t know of anything weird. Weird happens at 90 on up for me. I have had 4 different daytonas over 40 years.

Last edited:

Good Stuff

Reaction score
I’m not familiar with the water on Parker but the turns around the sandbar can get your attention depending on boat traffic and water flow. You can feel it get a little squirrelly around the first bend heading up river.
Just imagine that corner and Topock Gorge had a baby. Narrow turn with fuel docks on the outside. Large tree and campground elevation on the inside make it impossible to see through the turn. SeaDoos doing donuts in the outside of the turn on the California side near the fuel docks and south/west bound traffic cutting the corner into oncoming traffic. It’s no slouch of a corner. Buckskin launch normally has someone moored out into the inside of the corner as you exit upriver as well. Just ran it Sunday and remembered why I stick to Havasu when some idiot towing up river with a tube decided to turn and dump his kids in front of the fuel docks in traffic on purpose.

Attachments

• 7B7B07F9-37BC-4423-B87C-1AC2A2011BD2.jpeg
    7B7B07F9-37BC-4423-B87C-1AC2A2011BD2.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

azsunfun

Reaction score

View attachment 1028753
are we following the lines? ;)

DWC

Reaction score
are we following the lines? ;)
Depends. If you’re in a toon try to keep it at 25mph and keep it straight down the middle. Roll bar boats should also use the middle line but add ballast and S turns with at least 3 kids on a tube. Anything with high HP should feel free to pass on either the left or right, on the gas with tons of positive trim. :cool:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
jezzus.. the comments on facespace... apparently now everyones a fucking expert.

Yeah RDP Facebook is way different than the forum.
Apparently there were kids in the boat and the Facebook Moms are chiming in.

That corner is sharp and the inside is shallow for maybe 30' off the corner. The end result is a tighter turn than one would expect.
Also the large cliff face area directly across from Buckskin is pretty deep. Seems a better situation where the boat ended up.

Last edited:

THE Cat Sass

Reaction score
I’d love to eventually hear the 1st hand account of this from the driver, purely as an opportunity to learn something. I’ve owned lots of very fast cats (3 Daytona’s and 1 speedster) and have my 5th cat on order with +/- 25 years driving these things from the 1/4 mile course to many fun runs. Myself and the friends I boat with (who also own cats) almost always roll around between 35-50 mph.

I’ve never, not once had one of my boats get out of shape while loping along, in a hard turn or otherwise. Do they lean to the outside, yes. Do you get a little wet if you’re in a turn and hit a wave, sure. But never would I have envisioned stuffing a sponson and rolling in anything that’s bigger than my old 21’ Daytona. Obviously it happened and I believe in the experience this owner had from what I‘ve read so I’m damn interested in what NOT to do.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
No, but same concept only this one is their 38' sedan with flybridge, with small twin 4 banger diesels, very light layup and rather round bottom, made for one rollie pollie ride in anything but calm seas.

Hino's. Also the belly tanks were molded and not baffled. They are puke boats.

Taboma

Reaction score
Hino's. Also the belly tanks were molded and not baffled. They are puke boats.

Thanks, one of those "Tip of my tongue, wait don't tell me" moments. 😂

A buddy of mine, X-FBI and Vietnam Vet Ranger I used to fish with had a 44' Symbol made in Taiwan. By appearances it seemed to be built heavy, but in truth, it bobbed like a cork and put most every ole salt seasoned fisherman over the rail.
On one trip south chasing tuna, we hauled along two fellow marlin club anglers who'd won the trip in a club charity raffle. Down past the Coronados in heavy seas, the newly installed salon refrigerator, flew clear across the cabin damn near squashing the two " Not-so Lucky" "Lucky" raffle winners. :eek: The owner's comment was, " Oh yeah, I guess I forgot to bolt her down". Proceeded to pick it back up, return it to the opposite wall and headed back to the bridge. 😂
The story of the flying fridge circulated around the club members for year. :oops: