WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dead heading

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Anyone do a CA to New England?
I’m thinking me and the wife can do 3000 miles in 48 hours or so. Maybe stay at a hotel once?
Enlighten me.

Nordie

Reaction score
I’m thinking me and the wife can do 3000 miles in 48 hours or so. Maybe stay at a hotel once?
Enlighten me.

Why not take your time and enjoy the scenery? I'm looking forward to moving and taking my time cross country. We're a few years out, but I'm going to make the best of it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It can be done. Quite easily if your wife and you split up some driving. For you to be thinking about it, there must be a time frame you're trying to fit in to.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I do cedar city to Chicago in 2.5 days easy by myself , Texas in 2 . 🤔👍

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Why not take your time and enjoy the scenery? I'm looking forward to moving and taking my time cross country. We're a few years out, but I'm going to make the best of it.

This won’t be a vacation trip. We need to be there for a specific reason. Not sure if I want to fuck with airports.
my best from Seattle to Boston 3,200 miles is 2.5 days, or 60.5 hours door to door including sleep.
drove it alone, so some long days
Plan is I drive 12 plus hours. Wife gives me a few hours laying down then we maybe stop once at a hotel somewhere.

Brian it’s possible to go straight through but why?
I’ve done Florida to Alaska in less than 4 days.
Take your time and see America!
Not a vacation trip this time. Planning our route for the exit plan.
It can be done. Quite easily if your wife and you split up some driving. For you to be thinking about it, there must be a time frame you're trying to fit in to.

We kind of need to fit it into a week or so.
I’ll for sure drive way more than her but as long as I can get a couple hours sleep sprawled out in the back of the SUV it’s way doable.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
Sounds awful.

I'm considering a CA to Montana drive and I just can't do it.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Myself and a co-worker/teammate left the shop in Ontario and made it to Richmond Virginia for a race in approx 43 hours. I believe we slept a few hours in Amarillo. We were in our early 20’s and beer, pussy, and race cars were all we thought about. We always tried to maximize our time with all three. I think I even got a ticket outside of Memphis too.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Not worth it, flying isn't that much of a hassle right now. Been doing it for work throughout the last year

Rotten deal

Reaction score
I drove to Florida from Bay Area once stopping twice 2 sleep in car for 3 to 4 hours at time. Miserable. Another trip drove to NY in 3 days and turned and drove back towing to havasu in another 3. Driving 18 to 20 hours a day isn’t much fun.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
The airlines have some pretty good pricing. Ontario to Chicago Ohare in July, non stop, round trip.
$257.00ea with all of the fees.

Singleton

Reaction score
I have done San Diego to northern WI in 2.25 days pulling a trailer.
Never again, my back, right knee and ankle was hurting for days. I don’t use CC when trailing so the position I was in ruined me for 2 days once I arrived.

petie6464

Reaction score
Lmk. When your on the way so I can keep myself and my family off the hwy. .

This is one of the reasons that cause major accidents and deaths on the hwys, idiots thinking they have something to prove when in fact doing shit like this is completely negligent. Driving fatigued is is great way to kill yourself and even worse someone else. Grow up.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
With two drivers, a trailer and complete disregard for speed limits, a couple of guys can leave York, Pa on a Sunday night, and arrive in Orange, Ca on Tuesday night...with a few hour layover in Brookville, Oh to reload trailer. That's about the same mileage, but not familiar as much with the roadways more north.

Night driving and weather can be an issue for some. Headlight halos, fog and rain...maybe even tornado warnings. In the not so distant past, I have done 13 hours, stopping for fuel and restroom only...to load and come back. I like to kind of plan out my "range", and have specific stopping points...not just when the tank is on E. It just helps me to take it incrementally, not think about the big number, just how many miles to the next stop.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I did NYC to SFO on a 125cc Scooter, all back roads. But that took a little while.

Anyway, I've been flying a little bit these days, not a big deal at all. Wear a mask and watch a couple of movies and you're there.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Anaheim to Boston is 3,000 miles = 45 hours of driving which can be done with 1+ drivers and 0-multiple stops. Depends on your urgency and budget.

We recently drove from PHX to New Jersey and averaged 13 hours of driving x 3 days (2 nights in hotels) - drove long days very little darkness driving which made it much more enjoyable and stress-free. Enjoy the roadtrip!

clarence

Reaction score
I love to drive and really hate to fly, but no.

3,000 miles @ $.56/mile = $1,680 + $175 hotel + $145 meals = $2,000 one-way, $4,000 round trip

You're well paid for the hassle of flying (in time too).

And without the risk of accident, breakdown, divorce, etc.

badgas

Reaction score
Sounds brutal.

I did portland to HB without stopping when I was 20 and needed to get back to work. Eating coffee beans and pissing into a cycling water bottle the whole day 😏

I can't imagine doing that at 52. The longest one day drive I have done in 15 years was OC to Havasu and back a few months ago to drop off some mattreses it was a 610 mile day and I was beat. Anyhing over 400 miles anymore in one day is just not fun.

Find a way to take your time and make a nice trip with your wife or just fly.

JayBreww

Reaction score
We’re doing Riverside to Iowa next week. Plan on driving through in the RV with 3 people. Leave Tuesday around 1300, arrive Wednesday night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We’re doing Riverside to Iowa next week. Plan on driving through in the RV with 3 people. Leave Tuesday around 1300, arrive Wednesday night?

I went from here, Prescott, to barely Iowa...Crown City. Basically, Omaha NE. Left here at 1500, stopped just south of Colorado Springs for a few hours sleep. Then was in Omaha about dinner time. That was towing a big hauler, so speed and range fairly equivalent to an rv. It's pretty and green...lots to see.
Hope Mom & Baby are doing good!

ramos45

Reaction score
Back in 07 alone in a 26ft penske moving truck with my car on a trailer from Michigan city Indiana to Vegas. 45 hours and truck was governed at 65, first sleep was 18 hours into the drive almost near ok city. From 2am 6am busy after that i barely made it to Amarillo then took a2 hour nap. After that I went the rest of the way eating nodose like skittles. Thought I was going to drop dead when i arrived.

JayBreww

Reaction score
I went from here, Prescott, to barely Iowa...Crown City. Basically, Omaha NE. Left here at 1500, stopped just south of Colorado Springs for a few hours sleep. Then was in Omaha about dinner time. That was towing a big hauler, so speed and range fairly equivalent to an rv. It's pretty and green...lots to see.
Hope Mom & Baby are doing good!

So maybe dessert time for us lol
Thanks! They’re doing great, one month check up in the morning.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Yeah, I did Huntington Beach to Kenai Alaska 3 times solo . . . the first time I bombed it, I forget how long it took, but I was peeing in bottles w/o stopping. Dumb. After that, 800 miles per day was max for me. That was 20 years ago . . . now I probably wouldn't /couldn't do 600. I totally agree, take your time, unless you HAVE to bomb it.

gqchris

Reaction score
No way in hell. I hate the drive from OC to Havasu!

All of my family can do bombing runs except me. My Dad is the king even at 75 years old. The guy did Sturgis to Tennessee in one lick a few yesrs back! I was like, Pops. How the F did you do that!? My sister was also known for Kansas to Vegas straight all the time as well!

rrrr

Reaction score
Enlighten me.

Back when I was taking crews across the country to decommission and remove large data centers, doing nonstops for 24 hours or more was common. What I'm saying is based on four years experience actually doing what you're proposing.

Even though you plan on driving 70+ MPH, you'll find out that just stopping for fuel and junk food will slow your average speed to around 55 MPH. It takes 24 hours nonstop to drive from Dallas to either coast. Unless you plan on bringing along a few codrivers, there's no way you can make it from LA to Boston in 48 hours. Trust me on this.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
F T S....

I've driven from Chicago to Tucson in 2 days. It wipes you out. New England is another 12 hours from here.

Instead of week take 10 days. Three there, three back, with 4 to rest up. Also that'll give you some cushion for any unforseen travel issues.

Personally I'd wear a mask for a couple of hours and hop on Southwest.

buck35

Reaction score
Enlighten me.
What time of year? Lots of. Variables to consider.

707dog

Reaction score
@napanutt get on a plan bud save yourself the money and time from being on the road. sounds like your trying to do a cannon ball run to the east do you plan to fly back home or do the same return drive??

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Back when I was taking crews across the country to decommission and remove large data centers, doing nonstops for 24 hours or more was common. What I'm saying is based on four years experience actually doing what you're proposing.

Even though you plan on driving 70+ MPH, you'll find out that just stopping for fuel and junk food will slow your average speed to around 55 MPH. It takes 24 hours nonstop to drive from Dallas to either coast. Unless you plan on bringing along a few codrivers, there's no way you can make it from LA to Boston in 48 hours. Trust me on this.

Yep.

Ive criss crossed this entire continent countless times.
It takes focus and a certain persistence to get your average anywhere over 60-65 MPH unless you’re a cannonball racer.

I drove RT from CO to Redding CA every month for a decade, with trips to ND, TX, Montana etc thrown in now and then.
1000 miles used to be nothing. But when you string 2-3-4 days together it becomes crushing if by yourself.
My mo for long trips was drive 400 miles to start, then gas and an egg McMuffin, 400 more miles then gas and a sammich, 400 more then look for a rest stop or truck stop. Park between the trucks and power nap 4 hours, brush my teeth with a water bottle and spit out the window, repeat.
My longest non stop stretch ever was from the Canadian border at WA state to Anchorage, with a quick nap somewhere around Whitehorse.
Back then I routinely drove the Alaska Hwy in one stretch.

Nowdays I just don’t do that shit.
There’s no reason to. There’s no one at home waiting for me, and no job so important to subject these old bones to that.
I’ll make the little 600 mile day trip to sac to see the kids still, but that’s about my daily limit now.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
980 miles from Orange County to Silverthorne CO in just over 12 hours with 3 fuel stops. 1000 miles a day is my limit its also my max radius that I will drive. If I cant drive it in a day I fly. I hate flying and I love road trips.

jones performance

Reaction score
29 hours from havasu to elkhart indiana non stop other than gas and poop.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Lmk. When your on the way so I can keep myself and my family off the hwy. .

This is one of the reasons that cause major accidents and deaths on the hwys, idiots thinking they have something to prove when in fact doing shit like this is completely negligent. Driving fatigued is is great way to kill yourself and even worse someone else. Grow up.

As long as you aren't anywhere near hwy 80 you won't have to worry about me. 😒

Personally I'd wear a mask for a couple of hours and hop on Southwest.

Couple hours? It's around a 6 hour flight, non-stop, from SFO.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I'm not wanting to break any records.
Beside not wanting to mess with airports right now I've never been farther east on the road than Nevada as an adult. I will need to drive our motorhome there at some point and would like to have an idea of the terrain we'll be facing.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
For the past 30 years, we've been driving from LA to Denver to see family and friends in the winter. We usually do the drive in one day, both to there and back. I've done it so much its nothing now. But there have been weather that really screws with your driving schedule that you have to account for. Its roughly 15 hours each way. Honestly we could fly but I like the drive. Its basically the 15 and the 70.

Like others have said, a co driver really helps. I've done the whole way myself several times and when I get there, I can barely walk from all the time in the car seat. My father also does this drive and he's 80 now and still doing it.

Obviously that's only half (or a third) of what you need to do, but Google Map it out, decide where your fuel breaks are, and food breaks, and where, if you have to, pull over to get some sleep. Truck stops are nice, they are relatively safe and populated. Plus they have restrooms.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
It can be done. When I was a kid my crazy ass parents would tag team drive non stop from LA to Toronto, Canada in 42 hours only stopping for fuel.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I'm not wanting to break any records.
Beside not wanting to mess with airports right now I've never been farther east on the road than Nevada as an adult. I will need to drive our motorhome there at some point and would like to have an idea of the terrain we'll be facing.

Easy... On 40 the biggest hills (past the river anyway) is the climb up to Williams and then Tejaras Canyon leaving ABQ. Then it's 1500 miles of billiard table till you hit the Smokey Mountains, and small ups and down through New England.

I-70 has a big climb out of Mesquite through the Virgin River gourge, the two passes through Colorado and back to the billiard table.

I-10 is even less dramatic, but longer to New England.