WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Deal on Synthetic Oil

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I’ve noticed Costco recently selling Synthetic oil under the Kirkland Brand for an unbelievable price. Not sure who supplies them, will have to see the tests on it but man is this cheap. It comes in 0W/20 and 5w/30. For those that change their own oil this is a screaming deal.
380099A9-89ED-4DE7-B181-10BAE515E176.jpeg

El Chingon

Reaction score
I’ve noticed Costco recently selling Synthetic oil under the Kirkland Brand for an unbelievable price. Not sure who supplies them, will have to see the tests on it but man is this cheap. It comes in 0W/20 and 5w/30. For those that change their own oil this is a screaming deal.
View attachment 887810

A few weeks ago it had a $3 instant rebate per case. Been using the 5w/30 with no issues.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Kirkland is made by Warren distribution. They are the largest (to my knowledge) blender of private label oils.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Kirkland is made by Warren distribution. They are the largest (to my knowledge) blender of private label oils.

Then its good stuff. < thats a period. I've never seen a warren product fail to meet the spec. PQIA tests most of them.
SN, SN+, and Dexos 2 are strict and this meets it.

On an entirely different matter one "problem" here is the law allows a mix of Group II dino, and Group III hydrocrakacked dino to be labelled as "synthetic" thanks to the lawsuits between Mobil and Castrol.

Group III+ is the Fischer Tropsch Gas to liquid process, but the gas itself isn't synthetic

Group IV and up is the polyalphaolefin and esters which can be argued are " real" synthetic"

The high mileage stuff good for 15 and 20 Like Mobil 1 EP and Mobil 1 AP typically has a large slug of group IV in it.

ON falling costs - The cost to truly synthesize PAO's vs highly treat and manipulate dino juice then label it as " synthetic" is one of the reasons " synthetic oil" has become so cheap.

UD

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Then its good stuff. < thats a period. I've never seen a warren product fail to meet the spec. PQIA tests most of them.

On an entirely different matter one "problem" here is the law allows a mix of Group II dino, and Group III hydrocrakacked dino to be labelled as "synthetic" thanks to the lawsuits between Mobil and Castrol.

Group III+ is the Fischer Tropsch Gas to liquid process, but the gas itself isn't synthetic

Group IV and up is the polyalphaolefin and esters which can be argued are " real" synthetic"

The high mileage stuff good for 15 and 20 Like Mobil 1 EP and Mobil 1 AP typically has a large slug of group IV in it.

ON falling costs - The cost to truly synthesize PAO's vs highly treat and manipulate dino juice then label it as " synthetic" is one of the reasons " synthetic oil" has become so cheap.

UD

Someone who gets it.

Marketing wank is marketing wank. It is has the dexos2 logo, you can bet yore ass it meets the spec or GM would be after them like stink on shit after the China buffet.

“synthetic” is just a feel good word, not a spec.

Last edited:

Flynryan

Reaction score
Costco puts Mobil 1 on sale for $25.99 alot. We were there last week and it was on sale.

Didnt realize that the Kirkland is 10quartz. The mobil 1 is only 6

Last edited:

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score

UD
Well put and I would run any oil meeting spec with zero concerns👍. Our fuels may be junk but oil has never been better