WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Deal or fake?

dspracing

Reaction score
One of the guys in the shop requested a 12" caliper. Figured I would buy him an eBay cheapy when I came across this Mitutoyo 500-190-30 on eBay for $81.73. My luck has been hit and miss with these too good to be true eBay deals but these things retail for $375, so I figured it would be worth the gamble.

Came into work today and it's sitting on my desk! What's the deal here? Is this a really good fake? Does the seller not know what he has????

https://ebay.us/CU2cFb

cal.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
unwrap em, look for artifacting around the logos on the printing of the scale.

Sometimes people are ebay are just liquidating shit, not trying to get top dollar.

also check the grind by using a standard and a mic to see how close the ID and OD jaws match up at a locked measurement

Boat Anchor

Reaction score
Look up how to spot fake Mitutoyo Digital Calipers on Google. All real Mitutoyo digital calipers come with a SR44 battery, uninstalled. Fakes come with a LR44 battery (much cheaper) installed. When measuring with real Mitutoyo digital calipers, the displayed numerals, are all full size. With fake Mitutoyo digital calipers, the last numeral displayed will be half as tall as the other numerals displayed. There are some other things to look for which are explained on Google. Good luck.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
One of the guys in the shop requested a 12" caliper. Figured I would buy him an eBay cheapy when I came across this Mitutoyo 500-190-30 on eBay for $81.73. My luck has been hit and miss with these too good to be true eBay deals but these things retail for $375, so I figured it would be worth the gamble.

Came into work today and it's sitting on my desk! What's the deal here? Is this a really good fake? Does the seller not know what he has????

https://ebay.us/CU2cFb

View attachment 1005803
Let us know what you figure out.

dspracing

Reaction score
Look up how to spot fake Mitutoyo Digital Calipers on Google. All real Mitutoyo digital calipers come with a SR44 battery, uninstalled. Fakes come with a LR44 battery (much cheaper) installed. When measuring with real Mitutoyo digital calipers, the displayed numerals, are all full size. With fake Mitutoyo digital calipers, the last numeral displayed will be half as tall as the other numerals displayed. There are some other things to look for which are explained on Google. Good luck.

Certainly fake. See pics below. Real on bottom, fake on the top.

It is interesting though it came with an SR44 uninstalled AND an LR44 installed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Oh yeah, fake as hell. Report him to ebay.