WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dealers sticking to the consumer

Joe mama

Reaction score
I was talking to a guy I do work for, and he is a big sales guy for Toyota. Well, he told me they are killing it and selling less product while making more $$$$. I feel the consumer should remember this when and if things ever get back to normal. Is there any dealers selling at MSRP anymore.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I've felt like service rates are astronomical. I used to take all my chevy's to Selman. Couple months ago they quoted me $800 for a steering wheel positioning sensor. I said no, I had my truck in getting some other work done. Anyway, I found the sensor on Amazon, a GM original part. I looked up on YouTube how to install it. It might take me 3-4 hours as an amateur, a pro should be able to do it in 2 hours. The part cost me $35. That kind of mark up makes me want to shop elsewhere, that's gouging, big time.

jholley

Your RDP Connection To Selman Chevrolet!!!
Reaction score
I've felt like service rates are astronomical. I used to take all my chevy's to Selman. Couple months ago they quoted me $800 for a steering wheel positioning sensor. I said no, I had my truck in getting some other work done. Anyway, I found the sensor on Amazon, a GM original part. I looked up on YouTube how to install it. It might take me 3-4 hours as an amateur, a pro should be able to do it in 2 hours. The part cost me $35. That kind of mark up makes me want to shop elsewhere, that's gouging, big time.
That sure seems high, who was helping you? In the future if you have any questions about anything like that you can always call m.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Its just business.... I don't hold it against them. Right now, the automotive industry is a high risk one with the future being greatly unknown (thanks Brandon) and higher risk unfortunately to us consumers equals higher profit margins no matter what the industry. The auto industry is extremely unstable right now, as well as many others im sure.

Don't blame it on them. Blame it on the situation we as a country are in. My newest 4 wheeled vehicle is a 2002 and I spend a small fortune maintaining my vehicles because of their age. But its still a hell of a lot cheaper than a small house payment for a new car.

My 93 4cyl Ranger just made it from Austin, TX to Sierra Vista, AZ and back with a full bed and with no issues. (My transmission was found miraculously by the freight company about a week after they were faced with buying me a new one) but I maintain the shit out of it. It has 250k miles on it and is rounding the better part of 30years old with a hard life behind it to boot.

The bottom line is that as long as people have a distaste for vehicles, boats, home electronics, etc., that are more than 5 years old and the supply chain is iffy at best along with a growing fear regarding the stability of the economy; the dealers and retailers are going to charge however much they can expecting that there might not be any inventory or a customer base to sell to tomorrow.

Don't like it, keep your old shit longer. That, or the return of market/supply chain stability, is the only way its going to change.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Yep! I’m one of those guys that was a lifelong customer and never bitched about a repair bill. After 24 years of giving them my hard earned cash there is that one guy that wants to bury his fist in your ass and wants you to smile while handing over your credit card. See ya!!!

Taboma

Reaction score
I was talking to a guy I do work for, and he is a big sales guy for Toyota. Well, he told me they are killing it and selling less product while making more $$$$. I feel the consumer should remember this when and if things ever get back to normal. Is there any dealers selling at MSRP anymore.

Oh My, seems like it's only fair for you to reciprocate next time you invoice him for work, beings how it's just business. 😁

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Its just business.... I don't hold it against them. Right now, the automotive industry is a high risk one with the future being greatly unknown (thanks Brandon) and higher risk unfortunately to us consumers equals higher profit margins no matter what the industry. The auto industry is extremely unstable right now, as well as many others im sure.

Don't blame it on them. Blame it on the situation we as a country are in. My newest 4 wheeled vehicle is a 2002 and I spend a small fortune maintaining my vehicles because of their age. But its still a hell of a lot cheaper than a small house payment for a new car.

My 93 4cyl Ranger just made it from Austin, TX to Sierra Vista, AZ and back with a full bed and with no issues. (My transmission was found miraculously by the freight company about a week after they were faced with buying me a new one) but I maintain the shit out of it. It has 250k miles on it and is rounding the better part of 30years old with a hard life behind it to boot.

The bottom line is that as long as people have a distaste for vehicles, boats, home electronics, etc., that are more than 5 years old and the supply chain is iffy at best along with a growing fear regarding the stability of the economy; the dealers and retailers are going to charge however much they can expecting that there might not be any inventory or a customer base to sell to tomorrow.

Don't like it, keep your old shit longer. That, or the return of market/supply chain stability, is the only way its going to change.
Exactly, I don’t see anybody holding a gun to anybody’s head to purchase a new vehicle. There’s a lot of difference between want and absolute need.

Joe mama

Reaction score

I get that it’s just business! But not all are legit. Personally I would have a hard time sticking it to a customer just because I can. I’m not calling out any particular dealer just the shenanigans some are playing. JHolley has treated a lot of my buddies great!

pkbullet

Reaction score
Not paying book on trades but you can sell it to Carmax and pick up the new one for MSRP.
In all honesty I don’t want a deal that doesn’t have a trade. We are at 4995 addendum or 1995 if you have a retail trade.

TCHB

Reaction score
Free Market

Blue Oval

Reaction score
We depend on returning customers. We are selling to 3rd generation of families. The only inventory I have stuck to sticker is in stock Super Duties. The Broncos are at sticker, but that contract was between Ford and my customers. I will accept plan purchases on ordered vehicles. I dont believe any dealer around me will sell anything with a plan. I have only gave in and sold one odd ball truck for 2k over sticker to another dealer. I’m giving up profit, but retaining my customers. A lot of people bad mouthing my competition. Long term I hope it will keep my customers respect. My city is just over 3k people. Our family has owned the dealership for almost 50 years. The dealership is 104 years old. Not your normal situation.

pkbullet

Reaction score
We depend on returning customers. We are selling to 3rd generation of families. The only inventory I have stuck to sticker is in stock Super Duties. The Broncos are at sticker, but that contract was between Ford and my customers. I will accept plan purchases on ordered vehicles. I dont believe any dealer around me will sell anything with a plan. I have only gave in and sold one odd ball truck for 2k over sticker to another dealer. I’m giving up profit, but retaining my customers. A lot of people bad mouthing my competition. Long term I hope it will keep my customers respect. My city is just over 3k people. Our family has owned the dealership for almost 50 years. The dealership is 104 years old. Not your normal situation.
Hopefully they repay your donation with loyalty, that might still exist in a 3k person town. A side note, the markup on the Bronco is total bullshit like most everything Ford has going these days. I’ve seen more margin on a bottle of wine than a 40k bronco.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Are dealers buying used cars? My girlfriend has a 2015 ZL1 Camaro that we are going to be selling. Thought about bringing it to a couple dealers to see if they are interested.

pkbullet

Reaction score
Are dealers buying used cars? My girlfriend has a 2015 ZL1 Camaro that we are going to be selling. Thought about bringing it to a couple dealers to see if they are interested.
We spend more time buying than selling. Buying is the hard part, selling is easy.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
We are at MSRP.
We bought 2 replacement vehicles last year...paid roughly 5-7k under on each right before it went stupid. I called the guy who we bought the 21’ Tahoe from since we got a really good dealer offer to buy Briannas x5. Same Tahoe we bought is now 7500 over msrp. He’s pinned by his bosses and I get that. The x5 was kept lol

Blue Oval

Reaction score
Hopefully they repay your donation with loyalty, that might still exist in a 3k person town. A side note, the markup on the Bronco is total bullshit like most everything Ford has going these days. I’ve seen more margin on a bottle of wine than a 40k bronco.
I’m one of the smallest stores you will find. I have 19 retail Bronco orders. I started in the Ford family in 1981. I like the Bronco, big fan an have owned several. They have sadly made this the biggest Fluck up ever.

Last edited:

pkbullet

Reaction score
I have a feeling that sticker will be the new norm (deal) moving forward. Mfg will look at producing less for higher profits.
There are actually vehicles where MSRP and invoice are the same number and no holdback. Margin is paid to dealer based on how he jumps through all of their hoops. All this changes when supply outpaces demand again.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Resurrect your old junk. The newest vehicle I own is an 1988. No more depreciating assets for me. And I am not going to get raped by a dealer. Retrofit your old junk with a newer drivetrain and enjoy it. And they actually go up in value.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I have a feeling that sticker will be the new norm (deal) moving forward. Mfg will look at producing less for higher profits.
Sticker at best.. I used to buy vehicles in Vegas and ship them vs pay the "Hawaii market adjustment" Shipping was under a grand vs a 7.5-30k markup. Looks like its going nationwide.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
We just took delivery of a 2022 RST Suburban. Ordered last April at invoice. All the other dealers wanted at least 1k over MSRP. The process was a PITA because of the chip shortages and transport issues once it was finished. The dealer also played some games with add-ons but the overall deal worked out pretty good. They also gave us good money for our trade. Not a good time to buy a vehicle though...

boatpi

Reaction score
Two dealers in so cal will order a Bronco at msrp, maybe more. Caruso and villa Ford.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
The last few vehicles I have bought have all been $3000-$7000 below sticker out the door.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Supply and demand. Old lady just picked up a Volvo XC90. Didn’t get the discount we were used to, but were comfortably below MSRP.

Englewood

Reaction score
My uneducated opinion is this…

Dealers will stock a handful of each model. You will pay MSRP +++ to get one from the lot. You will pay MSRP for a new order and wait for it to be finished. No more rebates and fancy BS. Pick a car, pay the price.

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
just an FYI, our allocations are down 60% ...Only a few vehicles that we sell are selling over sticker. Also manufacturer rebates have almost all been eliminated. As I’ve told many people on this forum (including River Dave) and my friends and relatives, now‘s not the best time to buy . Yes we’re trying to pay our bills. The good news is if someone has a trade-in they’re getting a fortune for their car including Lease returns. We are all looking forward to the first quarter of next year getting back to normal, thank you all for your patience.

gqchris

Reaction score
I really want a Z06 also but I dont want to play the games or wait 5 years on a “list”. I really wish we had someone here that had some juice to get it done ot someone high up in Chevy. They really created a killer ride with this one.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I really want a Z06 also but I dont want to play the games or wait 5 years on a “list”. I really wish we had someone here that had some juice to get it done ot someone high up in Chevy. They really created a killer ride with this one.
Can’t speak to the ZO6, but my local dealer is more than willing to order a vette at MSRP. When I was looking at a C8 prior to release in 2019. Might be a wait, but they were upfront with timing.

Joe mama

Reaction score
just an FYI, our allocations are down 60% ...Only a few vehicles that we sell are selling over sticker. Also manufacturer rebates have almost all been eliminated. As I’ve told many people on this forum (including River Dave) and my friends and relatives, now‘s not the best time to buy . Yes we’re trying to pay our bills. The good news is if someone has a trade-in they’re getting a fortune for their car including Lease returns. We are all looking forward to the first quarter of next year getting back to normal, thank you all for your patience.
Thanks for your reply was hoping you would chime in..

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
The new Corvette is an amazing car, I met Paul Stanley (KISS) last week and his is amazing!!!
We sold him a new Escalade 👍
1895206B-A508-4B3C-BBB9-42A0BEC710D9.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Seriously, buy a 2023 Z06 in 2025, with 2000 miles on it that has never been in the rain and was washed, waxed and fully clay bared weekly. There will be plenty, there always is.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I just got another truck from Jay Photoglu @ Suburban GMC & I'm thrilled with the deal he got me.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The overhead to run a service and repair facility is insane these days...service information, subscriptions, tooling, etc....they're not working on 96 camrys anymore where a simple tool set and maybe a $30 paper manual would get the job done. Labor prices are north of $150/hr to cover these costs. The DIY program will be dead shortly for many things because in many cases you'll need speciallized tooling to effectively perform any service to modern vehicles. I can't afford all that, which is why I choose to drive old stuff that I can work on myself.