WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dealership Call Out

NicPaus

Reaction score
I just picked up one of my work trucks. Chevy offered free oil changes and def top off first 2 years. Def warning came on fast since last service. My other truck identical has never said to add def. So I looked at paperwork and no line item for def added. So I ask service writer. She says yes we topped it off. I ask how much did it take. She finally responds 2 1/2 gallons. I ask how much does it hold. 5 gallons. I mention the def warning coming on after a few thousand miles after last service and they must not of topped it off last time just like this time. I call out the tech. He is pissed off. In front of service writer and porter he adds another 2.4 gallons before it tops off.

Now they are all looking at me like I am the asshole. I ask so now you lied to me and have that look like you guys want to kill me where should I take my other truck which is due for service in 3 weeks. Nice and convenient to go to that dealer as by 2 of my job sites. Bullshit how they operate. Rant over.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Now days I have to check my fluids AFTER a service just to make sure they actually did what I pay for.

Good for you for calling them on it. Maybe they will stop being cheap or lazy or both.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
What is the consumption rate on the fluid, industry standard, per thousand miles, I mean if its decently low, its not like they can refute it wasn't done, the logged the mileage your last two visits, not like you could have done an extra 10k

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
What is the consumption rate on the fluid, industry standard, per thousand miles, I mean if its decently low, its not like they can refute it wasn't done, the logged the mileage your last two visits, not like you could have done an extra 10k

I usually get somewhere around 5k per 5 gallons on my F350. I'd imagine the Chevy to be similar.

It can vary by wide margins depending on your driving characteristics like towing or just an egg under your foot driving empty.

It's not a clear science like fuel mileage.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I asked one tech said a gallon to 1000 miles is high consumption. Truck was saying low and only 3000 miles since last service where they supposedly topped it off. Now that it is full I watched him I will track it. My other truck has 8k on it this one 6200. Other has never gave the alert that def is low. They are work trucks so no percentage just low or ok on dic.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Some days RDP seems more like Yelp[emoji12]

Just think how many inmates would be fucked without it. Can eat 10 shitty meals in Parker before you find one decent.

As far as dealerships go I mentioned no names. If it was your dealership I am sure you would of had him top it off then fired his ass. Lol.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Just think how many inmates would be fucked without it. Can eat 10 shitty meals in Parker before you find one decent.

As far as dealerships go I mentioned no names. If it was your dealership I am sure you would of had him top it off then fired his ass. Lol.
Write the Service mngr or GM and tell him your story without pointing fingers....he'll get it. That's who needs to know.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Write the Service mngr or GM and tell him your story without pointing fingers....he'll get it. That's who needs to know.

He would not let the truck back in work bay. Had porter park it over in a lot and tech brought out the def to fill there. He knows. I am wondering if they even changed the oil at this point. Looks black but I know diesels never show golden like my boat and gasser I bought new. I think the porter was more surprised. They had him drive truck to exit after and he gave me a what the fuck look. I mentioned I almost got burned and he agreed. Thanked him for doing his job and left.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
2.5 gals of DEF.....Thats cute. My Peterbilt uses 14-15 gallons every 8-10 days local driving :rolleyes

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
He would not let the truck back in work bay. Had porter park it over in a lot and tech brought out the def to fill there. He knows. I am wondering if they even changed the oil at this point. Looks black but I know diesels never show golden like my boat and gasser I bought new. I think the porter was more surprised. They had him drive truck to exit after and he gave me a what the fuck look. I mentioned I almost got burned and he agreed. Thanked him for doing his job and left.
I totally understand how your confidence is lost. Not everyone handles a call out on a mistake too well.

NicPaus

Reaction score
2.5 gals of DEF.....Thats cute. My Peterbilt uses 14-15 gallons every 8-10 days local driving :rolleyes

Lasts a few months for me. Between the tech and 2 service writers they told me yep its topped off. I could careless about the cost. More concerned about just using same AC Delco DEF every time as def sensors seem to be a issue. I don't burn much and don't want to have it go bad. Not sure if Napa carries AC Delco DEF.

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
It completely depends on driving and what you're towing. Having used GM's free services, I think they try to do the minimum possible to keep the lights from going on while its on their dime.

If you can find a truck stop with DEF it is cheap, you know the tank is full when you leave, and you don't have any extra.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I think we have all had those types of dealer "services". The last time I took my car (2011 SHO) in to the dealer for service I found out after that apparently neither the transfer case or even the transmission are part of the check all fluids on what they do. How does that work?

I now do all my own servicing just to avoid the crooks. I have found it to just be easier, but then again I don't have a business fleet. Personal fleet yes, business fleet no.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have always done my own service. Just with these two it was part of purchase. I plan on doing my own after the 2 year free deal. Work has been so crazy barely got in today. Have to drive by dealership to get to job site so was convenient. Almost easy enough where after the 2 years if still as busy as I am to just drop it off there. Have a extra truck at site which makes it easier on me while its there.

Singleton

Reaction score
I mark all filters and plugs before service and take photos. After service I check to make sure those marks are not on the filters and plugs lines have moved. So far every service at dealership has proven they have done what they said. I also have a deep transmission pan and always check level before I leave lot. Drives service manager nuts, but IMO you have to check

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
They didn't even pull the dip stick on the transmission on my SHO. There was enough dust on it to show a handprint that wasn't there..............