WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dealing with age....

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Gonna be 69 in a couple weeks. Still consider myself to be in decent shape but I've noticed that balance and dexterity are going down hill. Hereditary arthritis doesn't help a bit.

So I'm in front of my garage taking a picture of a whiskey barrel coffee table I'm building. To get a clear shot I kneel down on my right knee and when I go to rise, I roll my left ankle and crash that direction, hitting my head on the concrete, scuffing my left knee, and pulling a ribcage muscle in the process. After a few seconds of feeling like an idiot and lying there in pain, I manage to get to my feet.

Ankle swollen and knot on the head are irritating, but the pulled muscle is really a pain. Top it off I'm in the late stages of a head cold and still coughing which brings out that even more...….:eek::D

The smooth athletic moves are long gone. Simple moves of the past like jumping up in my PU bed and back down have turned into drawn out acts of climbing awkwardly. I want to jump off something fairly low to the ground and my entire body freezes up and plain refuses.....:p

Don't take the mobility of youth for granted...…..;)

Bear Down

Reaction score
The body is really amazing .... at the same time so fragile as you get older.. As I am turning 45, I am learing to recognize to better prepare my body for the future, days of not stretching before a workout or practicing with your son are long gone. The ill effects that can rear its head are pretty enlightening in comparison to 10-15 years ago. I could only imagine how things will be in my 50's/ 60's. My 11 year old has tryouts on Saturday, so we've been going hard core for the past few weeks practicing. This week we did game style preparation, I was really doing great and on fire with my mobility, especially after watching and making my son warm up and stretch. Then the evening came and what I thought was soreness ended up being Burstitus...HOLY HELL, that hurt... and totally preventable I think.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
At 58 my arthritis is brutal.
(Psoriatic arthritis coupled with Psoriasis) it sucks. My big toes are fused rigid, most of my toes won’t bend any more. Getting out of bed is an excersize in pain.
Putting shoes and socks on is a mental game...especially after the torn hip ligaments.
Ive been without a rheumatologist for over 2 years now. Between taking care of Debbie then moving I neglected my own health.
Scheduled to see GP in March. Can’t wait to get back on Humira or similar. It makes a big difference for me.
Hope you heal fast old friend!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Getting to and back up from the floor is no longer a move of grace. I literally have to get on my hands and blown up knees gingerly to look at anything on the bottom shelf. Most of the time I end up sitting on the Home Depot floor since it seems 90% of what I want is down on the fuking bottom shelf.:confused:o_O:mad:

River Runnin

Reaction score
I have an amazing body also! ... od’d on cortisone from back injections, need both hips & knees replaced, gained a shit load of weight, and just generally fooked up! :p:)o_O

Taboma

Reaction score
Gonna be 69 in a couple weeks. Still consider myself to be in decent shape but I've noticed that balance and dexterity are going down hill. Hereditary arthritis doesn't help a bit.

So I'm in front of my garage taking a picture of a whiskey barrel coffee table I'm building. To get a clear shot I kneel down on my right knee and when I go to rise, I roll my left ankle and crash that direction, hitting my head on the concrete, scuffing my left knee, and pulling a ribcage muscle in the process. After a few seconds of feeling like an idiot and lying there in pain, I manage to get to my feet.

Ankle swollen and knot on the head are irritating, but the pulled muscle is really a pain. Top it off I'm in the late stages of a head cold and still coughing which brings out that even more...….:eek::D

The smooth athletic moves are long gone. Simple moves of the past like jumping up in my PU bed and back down have turned into drawn out acts of climbing awkwardly. I want to jump off something fairly low to the ground and my entire body freezes up and plain refuses.....:p

I just recently turned 72, so yes, I can certainly relate :eek: :( :p
Good news is, I no longer require readers, I can read the fine print contained within the fine print :D
Bad news is, with cataracts 'Almost' to the stage Medicare will pay for removal, I have to stick close to my wife while out shopping or I may get slapped pinching the wrong gal on the rump, lol :p
Apparently the "Dirty Ole Man" shtick being cute and harmless, is no longer considered cute at all :eek: :(
Had an older friend warn me several years ago how 'Aging' wasn't linear, how each year he felt he was aging several, I scoffed. :rolleyes: Sorry to say, it's true :mad:
Good Luck Tex !!!!!!!!!!!

oldschool

Reaction score
I know some think it’s crazy, but if you can get yourself in a cold pool everyday it really does help. I know it’s helped me with the little aches and pains.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
62 just got back from the doctor and shove the needle in my spine that was no fun I’m in pretty good shape except for that

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Just turned 49.
My biggest problem is maintaining weight. I’m the size I was as a sophomore in high school.

No activity means no appetite means weight and muscle mass fall off of me.

I have to work hard just to maintain, let alone make gains.

Need to maintain good posture and stay active / mobile.

My workouts have more aerobics and core training than in years past.

Also neck/posture strengthening to keep kyphosis (old-person hunch/rounded shoulders) from setting in.

Steroid use in my youth thankfully hasn’t caused any issues yet.

But my weight training isn’t crazy like in the past, I want to keep my joints healthy and prevent injuries...recovering from injuries takes forever when we get old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
At 55 I’ve become a firm believer in daily doses of CBD. My knees and back don’t hurt like they used to from 35 years of doing construction. I’m sure dropping 60 lbs last year didn’t hurt either.

JD D05

Reaction score
Just turned 49.
My biggest problem is maintaining weight. I’m the size I was as a sophomore in high school.

No activity means no appetite means weight and muscle mass fall off of me.

I have to work hard just to maintain, let alone make gains.

Need to maintain good posture and stay active / mobile.

My workouts have more aerobics and core training than in years past.

Also neck/posture strengthening to keep kyphosis (old-person hunch/rounded shoulders) from setting in.

Steroid use in my youth thankfully hasn’t caused any issues yet.

But my weight training isn’t crazy like in the past, I want to keep my joints healthy and prevent injuries...recovering from injuries takes forever when we get old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unless you were doing a ton that steroid use isn't going to cause you any problems me think. Especially if it was Test.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
In reading this...I'm just screwed. 7 spinal surgeries, and lots of broken bones changing the muscular geometry. Arthritis in my hands, but not too bad, shoulders and knees that make weird crunchy sounds and hurt at times.

I'm only 42:(

Look at it this way @Old Texan , you got beat up pretty good rolling your ankle...seems I heard something about a guy here that ended up with pins and a wheelchair when he rolled his:rolleyes:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Unless you were doing a ton that steroid use isn't going to cause you any problems me think. Especially if it was Test.

Testosterone cipionate & deca durabolin injectable, and Anavar orals.

My main worry is joint damage, but I always lifted smart and was surprisingly injury free.

But I dont produce much natural testosterone so I use a testosterone gel daily to maintain levels...but needed injectables to get my levels high enough first.

Testosterone gel was truly game changing for me.

Doc wants me to start hGH, I’m considering it just to help regain some size/muscle mass.

JD D05

Reaction score
Testosterone cipionate & deca durabolin injectable, and Anavar orals.

My main worry is joint damage, but I always lifted smart and was surprisingly injury free.

But I dont produce much natural testosterone so I use a testosterone gel daily to maintain levels...but needed injectables to get my levels high enough first.

Testosterone gel was truly game changing for me.

Doc wants me to start hGH, I’m considering it just to help regain some size/muscle mass.

Injectable test cipionate will give you all the muscle mass you will want.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
Just turned 63 yesterday, and can relate to this thread. I keep telling the boss "the day i can't pull out slalom ski the boat goes - i made it last year, but every year for the past 4-5 i've wondered if "this is it". I'm really carefull jumping down out of the truck fearfull of hurting something, and comming from a full squat takes help from my hands - no more just stand up!!!! Agree that weight is worst enemy, so headed to the treadmill for a quick walk tomorrow morning - yes i said walk - no more running - it hurts too bad too long!!!!!

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Having been on RDP since 2008...when most you guys were younger... and I was already into the stages of physical disrepair that everyone is talking about here...in a way it kind of makes me sad to see a bunch of really good guys entering into the early stages of old person pain syndrome...

I have found there is only one cure...
14395C18-95E4-4B7D-8227-4660EEC80432.jpeg

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should take it as a compliment when my wife takes obvious pleasure by reminding me how I've become my father :eek: :(
He was of course, an amazing well accomplished man of men, he could also be a real dick ---- I'm pretty sure that's the part she's referring to. :p

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Wow what a ride!”

-Hunter S. Thompson

I'm doing my best to be in the second category.

Hell right........

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
...Having been on RDP since 2008...when most you guys were younger... and I was already into the stages of physical disrepair that everyone is talking about here...in a way it kind of makes me sad to see a bunch of really good guys entering into the early stages of old person pain syndrome... I have found there is only one cure...
View attachment 835411

Yes sir!

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
Getting to and back up from the floor is no longer a move of grace. I literally have to get on my hands and blown up knees gingerly to look at anything on the bottom shelf. Most of the time I end up sitting on the Home Depot floor since it seems 90% of what I want is down on the fuking bottom shelf.:confused:o_O:mad:

My advice to anyone shopping at Home Depot......... don’t buy ANYTHING off the bottom 2 shelves. All the dogs lift their legs on em. Just sayin’........

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Yeah, getting up off the floor takes planning and stages of raising the body. Knees are relatively pain-free (daily Glucosamine & Chondroitin help a lot for pain) but there's no flexibility in them - no squatting of any kind (sitting on the can isn't squatting) - if I need to see down low I'm getting on the floor.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Yeah, getting up off the floor takes planning and stages of raising the body. Knees are relatively pain-free (daily Glucosamine & Chondroitin help a lot for pain) but there's no flexibility in them - no squatting of any kind (sitting on the can isn't squatting) - if I need to see down low I'm getting on the floor.
Yup, damned sure does. Gotta plan it out.

What irritates me this time is I know to brace myself, yet in a hurry I thought I could power through and bnag, ankle gave out. What amazes me is the damage from basically falling over from a kneeling position.....:eek::D

When I was framing houses in my 20's, I'd jump off a damned roof and land on my feet or maybe roll out once in a while. No issues. ;)

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Jeez... I'm getting depressed fellas...

I'm in the same boat but trying to maintain some optimism..

Like I can still get some wood..... well sometimes. lol

Taboma

Reaction score
Funny, but I felt pretty friggin old and beat up when I crawled out of the sack this morning.
Kinda over did it this week chain saw topping some of my avocado trees.
But as I've read this thread and all the aches, pains and general misery many of you much younger guys are suffering ---
damn, I'm feeling pretty damned good now, thank you :p :D

Reactions: TPC

4Waters

Reaction score

Sorry about the fall, glad you are ok. On a side note, did you happen to get video if said fall:D LOL

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I had a cardiologist appt back on Monday. Jan. 11 was 3 years, post OHS. A few wires poking out of my chest. Back to a cardiac surgeon.
Bone isn't healed as good as it should be. Sucks getting old.

Dan'l

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Use it or lose it....
That said it’s a constant slow loss after 50 but I do a lot to try and slow it.

We’re all like vehicles: some run 200k and some are lemons, be the best mechanic you can....

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Use it or lose it....
That said it’s a constant slow loss after 50 but I do a lot to try and slow it.

We’re all like vehicles: some run 200k and some are lemons, be the best mechanic you can....

Theres a recall on my left knee, class action lawsuit on my lower back, and a service bulletin on my carpal tunnel. Im not even paid off yet.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I'm only one year behind you and doing half way decent, other than all the stiffness, but I do get you on the balance and agility thing, it's leaving fast, although no falls yet.

The other day I'm waking into the store and I see myself in the window, I got that old man head bob going on, :eek:got to work on that.:D

Been practicing putting on the Levis never holding on to anything.:D

bocco

Reaction score
63 myself. I've had a cold for two weeks. I swear I used to shake them in two days.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My 30 Y.O. son and 31 Y.O. Nephew were walking around Dizland with me and they got their first shot at aging.
The younger 19 to 21 Y.O. girls in the family didn't want to hang with them.

TCHB

Reaction score
The older I get the less I like RVing in parking lot type rv parks. Sold the RV and Hyatt is taking its place.