WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Death Wobble Fixable?

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
Found a great deal on a bobcat mini-excavator with a trailer so I jumped on it as a combo. The drive was not to far so when It felt very tonge light at 55 I backed off and just figured it was a bad load weight distribution and kept it under 50 for the last 10ish miles. Excavator was 10Kish under market so itnwas a great deal and trailer was basically free.

Screenshot_20220831-213824_Gallery.jpg

Two weeks go by and I decide to give the trailer some love so a front toolbox, tie-down points, lights, ect later I start to tow it empty for tires and it is even worse. Towing nose up, nose down, extra tonge weight, it all is instant death wobble at 45+.

Brain trust, Any ideas of a simple fix?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Nice score though on the machine. Sell the trailer and buy one with a 14K weight rating. Problem will be you need a class A.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I guessed this one right! But yeah, I'd say that trailer is way overloaded. Are those tires normally that flat when towing something?🤔 I'm guessing if you were in love with the actual trailer you could upgrade the axles, but then you would have to deal with strengthening the deck too.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I’m not going to argue that the excavator is likely too heavy for the trailer, but you shouldn’t be encountering DW from being overweight. I used to have a similar trailer, and loaded it until the axles were against the frame multiple times, and could still tow at highway speeds without issue. I’d check for bent axles, worn suspension, or axles out of alignment.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
I guess I should have said......

I will never tow the Mini-Excavator again. I was looking to make it a utility/car trailer or at least safe for the next guy if I sell it.

I do not just push crap down hill. I am the idiot that repairs prior to selling or at least tells 100% truth of the problems when selling. It has happened to me more time than I can count but my integrity is worth more to me than $$$$.

NicPaus

Reaction score
If you are keeping it. I would buy 2 new axles. I have changed the ones on my dump trailer. Easy to do. They came with new leaf springs. Just buy new bolts for mounting.

Dog

Reaction score
Probably bent axle/s but check for flat spotted tires if it has been sitting awhile.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
I finally figured out.

SOLD.

I listed it honestly on Craigslist, priced it fair, and it sold in one day. In person I made sure I again warned the guy and specifically told the guy anything 45+ it violently shakes and he said it was ok. After he paid, I asked him how he was going to fix it and he actually laughed and said he was sure it would be fine, said "All trailers shake," hitched up, and drove away.

I have towed 100s of trailers in my life and this was by far the worst but Buyer knows best and I can sleep knowing I was honest.

RDP be warned $50 says he flips it and doesn't say shit.

4Waters

Reaction score
I finally figured out.

SOLD.

I listed it honestly on Craigslist, priced it fair, and it sold in one day. In person I made sure I again warned the guy and specifically told the guy anything 45+ it violently shakes and he said it was ok. After he paid, I asked him how he was going to fix it and he actually laughed and said he was sure it would be fine, said "All trailers shake," hitched up, and drove away.

I have towed 100s of trailers in my life and this was by far the worst but Buyer knows best and I can sleep knowing I was honest.

RDP be warned $50 says he flips it and doesn't say shit.
That guy buys shitty trailers