WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Deep Sea Fishing- Maui?

Hammer

Reaction score
I’m going to Maui and want to charter a boat with my brother in law and 10 year old. Has anyone ever gone or recommend a good charter for the day or half day?

It’ll be my first time. Any input would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I can’t recommend anyone.

just make sure you tell them when booking you want to keep your catch.

this was my mistake when I booked my first fishing trip there. Caught a couple of mahi mahi and a small ahi. And it was kept by the captain. Never had this issue in Cabo.

4Waters

Reaction score
I can’t recommend anyone.

just make sure you tell them when booking you want to keep your catch.

this was my mistake when I booked my first fishing trip there. Caught a couple of mahi mahi and a small ahi. And it was kept by the captain. Never had this issue in Cabo.
WTF?!? There would have been a fight if that happened to me, or that captain would have had that fish shoved up his ass

DWC

Reaction score
Working on a couple options. Coworker worked on a couple boats. He’s checking now. Gotta warn you, never know what he’ll come up with. He lives on the North shore of Oahu. Favorite thing to do is night dive.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
WTF?!? There would have been a fight if that happened to me, or that captain would have had that fish shoved up his ass
It’s happened some years back. We were shocked when he said no. It was 3 of us and I was the one who has fished more. They thought it was the way it goes and standing there while I was bitching at the guy, but it was going nowhere and I didn’t want to cause much of a scene so we left.

I just stick to fishing in Cabo now

Hammer

Reaction score
Working on a couple options. Coworker worked on a couple boats. He’s checking now. Gotta warn you, never know what he’ll come up with. He lives on the North shore of Oahu. Favorite thing to do is night dive.

Once in a lifetime opportunity fits the bill!! [emoji106][emoji106]

We are going aug. 2-9th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishSniper

Reaction score
As was mentioned in this thread know that in Hawaii it’s not the same as mainland. Most of the charter boats also have the license to sell fish so if you catch a big one worth money such as a yellowfin you won’t be getting any of it. Caught a 125 pound yellowfin on a charter in Kauai and boat kept it and it got sold to market. We got to keep a couple mahi but the money fish the boat kept.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

3 years of college I deckhanded on Oahu part time...we made it clear. Slip fees and costs for “front” row are astronomical. My uncle owned one for 25 years...

We always cut the smallest fish and offered it. You have to remember most people visiting Hawaii have no way to freeze etc..so it gets wasted in many cases. That’s not cool and a cultural issue. If you have the ability to ACTUALLY freeze and ship make an agreement at booking.

Do a full day...no bananas,no chicken. Coors light is the beer of fisherman otherwise green bottles.

idk any captains on Maui directly but could shoot a couple texts and find out who’s in fish... made sure my BIL got his marlin 2 years ago that way...enjoy your trip!

Last edited:

satellitemike

Reaction score
I could have kept this but the cost to ship it back to the main land didn't make sense at the time!
Rough seas that day, 3 of the 5 guys fishing didn't fish much but chumd,sp? plenty! Cant remember for sure but I think this was out of Lahina.
JPEG_20180101_100119_355763439.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hypnautic

Reaction score
We always cut the smallest fish and offered it. You have to remember most people visiting Hawaii have no way to freeze etc..so it gets wasted in many cases. That’s not cool and a cultural issue. If you have the ability to ACTUALLY freeze and ship make an agreement at booking.

Do a full day...no bananas,no chicken. Coors light is the beer of fisherman otherwise green bottles.

This.. no way to freeze or vacuum pack. Tuna needs to be cooked before your cut so cannot do on docks.
Now if you local or have family then they should cut up to 1/3rd of the catch.
My uncle took two mahi, the aku and 8 steaks from tail on this catch. Captain dropped off 4 ahi steaks the next day.
IMG_2582.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2579.JPG
IMG_2577.JPG

If you like tuna the aku is mor betta

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Long time ago I used finest kind for a few shared charters. Headed out to backside of Lanai and it’s friggin rough out there. It’s not a trip for newbies. I always tipped and let them know I was an experienced fisherman and they always cut me a nice filet to cook back at the condo but they aren’t letting you keep all the fish.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Let them know what fish you want to target - mahi-mahi, Ahi, Marlin etc. If you would like to take a small quantity off the boat ask the crew about that first. Yes, some of the Hawaiian waters can be rough. If that's not for you let the crew know. Fishing over there can be OK, but typically not as good as Cabo.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
The Molokai channel is the roughest waters in the islands. There is very deep water with a huge current going through between the islands. Definitely not a place you want to be if you are inexperienced. Grew up on the East side of Oahu and surfed all that coast. Rescued a few fishermen swept off the rocks. Even had a friend pull someone that had died from it.