WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DEF Diesel Trucks

badluck24/7

Reaction score
Who here has actually had DEF related issues with their def diesel truck? Was window shopping over the weekend and was looking at a used 2018 GM truck and the salesman actually told me that I don’t want a newer diesel because of all the def issues. I daily drive an older GM diesel so I’m curious.
If you’ve had issues, is the truck a daily? Is it a once a month tow rig? Is it a weekend driver? Is there any rhyme or reason for issues or just luck of the draw? Looking for real world info from members here and not google.

beerrun

Reaction score
I have a 17 Chevy daily driver no problems but I know if you run them out of DEF they will go into a limp mode

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
2015 Duramax. Nothing that puts you on a tow truck, but it’s a 2-3 times a year at dealership for some stupid little part of the emissions system. It’s always been covered, but it’s annoying. I’m at 74k miles, drive it daily for the last few months. It’s burning through DEF at 2-3 times the rate it did when new, and the mileage has gotten horrible! I have a delete kit sitting in garage that is going on as soon as I have a free Saturday.

weasle

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Chevrolet with 40k and the DEF pump went at about 35k. It was covered . Up until that happened I really liked the truck in the last 6 months the turbo went out which was under warranty and I needed glow plugs. Hard to accept when you spend the amount of money we do on these vehicles

Singleton

Reaction score
2017 F350 no issues
Used to be my weekly to/from airport vehicle and weekend tow vehicle
Now, it is used weekends only

Flippindough

Reaction score
Went nearly 95k miles on my 16 LML and DPF got plugged. So truck went to Proformance in Bakersfield for a full delete and CP3 conversion. 112k miles and towed a 13k pound trailer across the country flawlessly, average 18mpg on 35s.

hallett21

Reaction score
2016 Cummins no issues. Drive 35k miles a year. 118k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LB247XS

Reaction score
I have an 2018 3500 Duramax I'm starting to have a higher than normal Idle rpm and a really hard downshift when coming to a stop and an occasional slipping going from 1st gear into second gear it's going to the dealership today AGAIN

THE last time this happened I was told it's normal due to the truck going into the ReGen mode. BULLSHIT something isn't right

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
What I've worked on leads me to believe commercially used trucks, and trucks driven by employees, suffer the most. Those are the ones I see with issues more frequently. Anything from catalyst performance to egr codes. Same year/model truck, towing a 4 horse/living quarters cross country, not an issue. It may be luck of the draw, driving style, or a combination of the above?

Joe mama

Reaction score
I really wanted a new diesel, but I read these treads and think back how many times I’ve been to the dealer and what’s being said here. 🤬

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
The last few companies I’ve worked for going back to 2014 each had a fleet of leased Fords, Chevys and Ram diesels that used DEF and no real issues attributed to DEF system except when guys dump def in fuel tank, then it’s a very big deal that happens way too often.....Just don’t idle them for long periods, they don’t like that.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Not a truck, just the wife’s suv. Sigh. Been to the dealer twice. Love the mpg and torque, hate the def.

7D41BB5B-D8DF-49AF-BDCD-C223583E8A55.jpeg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My 2013 duramax had the DEF system have issues. I deleted it

Reactions: DWC

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I have an 2018 3500 Duramax I'm starting to have a higher than normal Idle rpm and a really hard downshift when coming to a stop and an occasional slipping going from 1st gear into second gear it's going to the dealership today AGAIN

THE last time this happened I was told it's normal due to the truck going into the ReGen mode. BULLSHIT something isn't right

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mine does the SAME thing when in re-gen. Always has, even when brand new. You will also notice a "burning rubber" smell during these times, that is the smell of piss being burned.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
2014 Ram Cummins with about 40k miles on it. I only put around 5k miles per year on it and it sits parked in my garage most of the time. I have only had one issue with the DEF system which was covered under warranty. I needed a new DEF pump, and the dealer tech initially assumed that I had pumped diesel into the DEF tank because the pump was completely gummed up. There is no way I would have done that, so I dug into it more and learning the the DEF only has limited shelf live before it goes bad, and that shelf life decreases with hotter temps. I live in AZ and would keep the DEF tank close to full most of the time. Now I keep the DEF level pretty low since it can sit in the truck for several months before I go through it.

charlyox

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Duramax daily driver no issues.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
2016 Duramax/GMC Sierra 2500HD.....13K miles. just had the Def Tank heater fail. Got a engine light. Couldnt reset it. Covered under GM warranty. No other issues. Love the truck.

Roaddawg

Reaction score
2014 GMC Sierra 2500 HD.. Turbo went out at 39k miles, DEF heater and injector went out at 50k miles. Like n2ofast4u said it burned DEF way faster than when it was new. Ended up getting rid of it and trying my luck with a Ram. I'm sure it will be the same shit with this one

Reaction score
I had a 2015 GMC 2500 Duramax and now have a 2019 GMC 2500 Duramax. The 2015 at around 60K miles had a DEF heater element go out and was fixed under warranty. Since it was warm at the time the heater element went out I just drove it for 6 months until I had time to get to the dealer. It never went into limp mode but showed a DEF fault when first started. The 2019 has around 30K miles and has not given me a problem at all. These are by far the two best trucks I have ever owned and I have owned a lot.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
My truck always went into regen at 300-400 miles, not the advertised 600-700 miles as shown in the sales brochure. The dealer always said "everything is working fine, there's no check engine light". I never had any issues with the DEF until it got around 80,000 miles, no indication that I needed to refill DEF like it was supposed to show at 1000, 750, 500, 400 miles - it just started saying 60 miles until speed limited to 55mph. After a DEF fill-up it was fine, but again Chevy said no check engine lights or stored codes, everything is working like it should. At 100,000 I deleted and haven't looked back. At 265,000 no engine issues other than a bad injector.

But at this many miles my CP4 has me worried, do I get it replaced with a modified CP3 or just drive it couple more years and hope it doesn't grenade? I do run 8oz of OptiLube XPD per tankful, so I hope that will see me through.

Reactions: DWC

robby dmax

Reaction score
My truck always went into regen at 300-400 miles, not the advertised 600-700 miles as shown in the sales brochure. The dealer always said "everything is working fine, there's no check engine light". I never had any issues with the DEF until it got around 80,000 miles, no indication that I needed to refill DEF like it was supposed to show at 1000, 750, 500, 400 miles - it just started saying 60 miles until speed limited to 55mph. After a DEF fill-up it was fine, but again Chevy said no check engine lights or stored codes, everything is working like it should. At 100,000 I deleted and haven't looked back. At 265,000 no engine issues other than a bad injector.

But at this many miles my CP4 has me worried, do I get it replaced with a modified CP3 or just drive it couple more years and hope it doesn't grenade? I do run 8oz of OptiLube XPD per tankful, so I hope that will see me through.
Did you run the additive when you had your full DEF system?

DLC

Reaction score
One of the problems my neighbor found out is that they need to be ran/ driven. A bunch of short trips messes up everything and you need to drive it for 30-40 minutes at a minimum to get it to cycle correctly. How often it needs to be done Im not sure.

the BS DEF is keeping me from buying a new truck, I’ll keep my 07 classic non def truck for a few more years!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My 16 Dodge eco-diesel needed the DEF system replaced twice, first time Dodge paid for it second time they wouldnt. Sold the pile of crap and bought a Cummins 2500, still has DEF but at least its a proven platform. Going to Montana in the spring and will have it deleted there, its registered in Montana so I wont have any issues down the road on smog, etc.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
2017 Duramax. DEF tank level sensor went bad, thought it was empty even when I had filled it. The error code set a max speed limit until fixed, 55MPH for 50 miles (or something), then 35MPH, then 25MPH.... Not cool at all when your on a road trip! Later had the DEF heater fail. Around 80k miles. Sold it, no more DEF Diesels for me until I move out of state.

jscarab

Master Blaster
Reaction score
2016 F-250 all intact..63,000mi...no problems...relatively short distance daily driver in havasu. 😎

77charger

Reaction score
And this is why i said i would never buy a used 100k plus mile diesel when a new one is just a little factoring possible breakdowns and milage more with a warranty

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
2016 Ram 2500, 50k, no issues. But I treat it right. No old DEF, No excessive idling. No short trips without a bit of hiway. Keep the engine brake on 24/7. Let the DEF run down before I fill up. And I’ve let it sit for a month at a time. Maybe it doesn’t matter? But i haven’t had an issue, using common sense. If I do I will delete.

PlanB

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I am thinking of going with the gasser in the wife's new Burb. Going into limp mode in the middle of the desert at 115 degrees with our two older dogs does not sound like fun. The research before we order will continue...

Joker

Reaction score
Sold my 2020 POS Chevy with nothing but issues with the DEF along with other items. Will never buy another new diesel

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Not a truck, just the wife’s suv. Sigh. Been to the dealer twice. Love the mpg and torque, hate the def.

View attachment 956000

We dumped my wife's diesel x5 this summer. It became a problem child right at 100k. Injector failures due to water intrusion bc of the window cowl design. DPF failure, etc. She's got the E-drive one now..it's bitchin, and a torquey little shit.

My 2020 ram is fine so far with 10k miles...we'll see. I will sell it once warranty is close to up...I would do a delete but I've been down that road before and its not always roses and unicorns. We run MT registration on everything so no smog/emissions..but I just don't want some dickhead DOT or cop in Texas or AZ hassling us. It's already fun to explain registration, insurance, and DL from 3 different places on the rare occasion we have to.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I am thinking of going with the gasser in the wife's new Burb. Going into limp mode in the middle of the desert at 115 degrees with our two older dogs does not sound like fun. The research before we order will continue...

We have the max tow 2021 Tahoe gas in Havasu...no complaints, tows the x-flight to the ramp from the house just fine.

hallett21

Reaction score
Funny about the idling. I take the dog to work some days in summer. I leave him in the truck running with the AC turned on, sometimes over an hour. Only issue has been coming back to the truck running in high idle/regen.

Truck runs usually a minimum of 45 mins after that on the highway. Cummins with aisin has been bullet proof 🤞🏻

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
So basically Ford diesels are the best, is what I have gathered from this thread.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Its sad really. Man has improved and refined the internal combustion engine to levels no one would have imagined in the early days of automobiles only to be forced to cover them up with emission systems that rob horsepower and ancillary parts that increase points of failure. There is some great engine technology that exists today, both gas and diesel but the motors are covered up with so much emissions crap that those of us that are in the "know" are scared to buy them.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Its sad really. Man has improved and refined the internal combustion engine to levels no one would have imagined in the early days of automobiles only to be forced to cover them up with emission systems that rob horsepower and ancillary parts that increase points of failure. There is some great engine technology that exists today, both gas and diesel but the motors are covered up with so much emissions crap that those of us that are in the "know" are scared to buy them.
It’s A small trade off for heath benefits received. You‘re helping to reduce the risk of your wife, kids, family, friends etc... getting cancer, asthma, COPD.....and many other respirator diseases related to smog. Plus you’re helping save the environment. ;) :)

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Funny about the idling. I take the dog to work some days in summer. I leave him in the truck running with the AC turned on, sometimes over an hour. Only issue has been coming back to the truck running in high idle/regen.

Truck runs usually a minimum of 45 mins after that on the highway. Cummins with aisin has been bullet proof 🤞🏻

I have two dickhead dogs that chill in the truck practically everyday. It idles around 30-45 min at a job site 1-2x a day. Same situation..occasional high idle-regen. I have the HO/AIsin combo as well. If im bouncing between job sites I never shut it down..

bk2drvr

Reaction score
It’s A small trade off for heath benefits received. You‘re helping to reduce the risk of your wife, kids, family, friends etc... getting cancer, asthma, COPD.....and many other respirator diseases related to smog. Plus you’re helping save the environment. ;) :)

Ya I get it. I was a kid of the 80s and 90s, I remember the bad smog. Is all of the emissions necessary? Maybe, maybe not. We also have a population problem driving these emissions mandates but that’s another thread and I won’t go there.

I do all my own work on my cars and trucks and I see the lengths the auto manufacturers have gone to reduce escape of the bad stuff and their negative side affects. I’m just tired of it to be honest. My girlfriends 2012 Escalade is going to be sold in the next few weeks and it will be replaced with a Tesla. A large part of my decision to go electric is for the reasons I mentioned. I’m tired of check engine lights that lead to some over priced sensor located in a shitty location. No fluids to deal with. No longer being held hostage by gasoline prices.

I’m a die hard truck guy, love V8’s and own a late model GMC Sierra but I’m looking forward to the Tesla and reducing my exposure to lots of moving parts, all the shit hanging off the engine that can fail and fluid dependancies. Could the Tesla have issues? Maybe, but when comparing the mechanical complexity of the two I somehow feel relieved.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Ya I get it. I was a kid of the 80s and 90s, I remember the bad smog. Is all of the emissions necessary? Maybe, maybe not. We also have a population problem driving these emissions mandates but that’s another thread and I won’t go there.

I do all my own work on my cars and trucks and I see the lengths the auto manufacturers have gone to reduce escape of the bad stuff and their negative side affects. I’m just tired of it to be honest. My girlfriends 2012 Escalade is going to be sold in the next few weeks and it will be replaced with a Tesla. A large part of my decision to go electric is for the reasons I mentioned. I’m tired of check engine lights that lead to some over priced sensor located in a shitty location. No fluids to deal with. No longer being held hostage by gasoline prices.

I’m a die hard truck guy, love V8’s and own a late model GMC Sierra but I’m looking forward to the Tesla and reducing my exposure to lots of moving parts, all the shit hanging off the engine that can fail and fluid dependancies. Could the Tesla have issues? Maybe, but when comparing the mechanical complexity of the two I somehow feel relieved.
My Girlfriend has a Tesla. She recently bought the extended warranty as She loves it and wants to keep it 2 more years. It has had a few issues that would of been $$$ if not covered. I just bought another 2500 few hours ago went with gas again so 2 gas 2500s. But I have 2 3500 diesel if I need to tow 17k but I don't have a class A and don't plan on getting 1. No issues with either knock on wood but 12k on 1 20k used for work and if needed I drive one to Parker to work on the river pad.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
I have a 2020 with 83k on it. Pulls like a freight train and 0 issues. Goes thru about 12 gal def a week. Idunno if thats good or not. 500k warranty. Dont really care. Dealer problem not mine 🤠🤠

Drew

Banned
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Chevy . Changed ( heater) for cow piss and changed the cow piss pump. Pump and heater are sold together . Next time I delete the pos and drop off that stupid filter through the epa’s office window with a kind note attached. I still have a 2001 2500 and love it. Way better truck minus the heated a/c seat and steering wheel.... very disappointed with the entire def system.

McKay

Reaction score
Had a new GMC 2017 for about 30 months. No issues, was not a daily driver. Only really got driven when pulling about a 13K boat. Not one issue had about 32K miles when sold. Picking up a 2021 F450 soon. So hoping to have no issues. Will be the same, pretty much only be a tow vehicle.

McKay

Reaction score
I have a 2020 with 83k on it. Pulls like a freight train and 0 issues. Goes thru about 12 gal def a week. Idunno if thats good or not. 500k warranty. Dont really care. Dealer problem not mine 🤠🤠

Where do you get a 500K warranty and what does that cost?