WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

DEF Diesel Trucks

calkid

Reaction score
So basically Ford diesels are the best, is what I have gathered from this thread.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've always been as Ford guy but after owning five new Ford diesels I'm done. Not a single transmission lasted over 60k and every engine had major issues, the 6.0 was the worse. I switched to Ram/Cummins and I'm never going back to Ford (see my post in this thread). 210k without any issues and no running hot.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I am thinking of going with the gasser in the wife's new Burb. Going into limp mode in the middle of the desert at 115 degrees with our two older dogs does not sound like fun. The research before we order will continue...
I went with a gas 3/4ton because of possible diesel issues. Between the injection pumps and DEF and my luck it’s to much of a risk. Not to mention how much more you have to pay for a diesel.
My truck drinks gas like crazy but $9,000 less purchase price buys allot of fuel.

If it was a Dailey driver I probably would have bought a diesel though.

PlanB

Reaction score
I went with a gas 3/4ton because of possible diesel issues. Between the injection pumps and DEF and my luck it’s to much of a risk. Not to mention how much more you have to pay for a diesel.
My truck drinks gas like crazy but $9,000 less purchase price buys allot of fuel.

If it was a Dailey driver I probably would have bought a diesel though.

This will be the wife's DD, but it will also be used to go between our place in SoCal and Havasu. Her last two vehicles have been Toyotas and not one single issue. She has had GM vehicles in the past, including a Suburban, so leaving Toyota will be hard, but I want something I can tow a car hauler without having to take the truck. The diesel in the new Suburban is only a 1k option, but I don't want any issues on a road trip.

fast99

Reaction score
Worked with a GM diesel tech for 10 years. If you install an aftermarket programmer most likely the engine warranty is gone. If the motor has issues and the dealer suspects tampering they can find it in the computer. Also if you defeat the DEF system the soot trap needs to be removed otherwise it will just clog up.

Probably the best light duty diesel ever made was the 7.3 Ford or IHC but unfortunately not available today.

It's also a good idea to get oil analysis done on a regular basis. It can find all sorts of issues before they become expensive problems.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Worked with a GM diesel tech for 10 years. If you install an aftermarket programmer most likely the engine warranty is gone. If the motor has issues and the dealer suspects tampering they can find it in the computer. Also if you defeat the DEF system the soot trap needs to be removed otherwise it will just clog up.

Probably the best light duty diesel ever made was the 7.3 Ford or IHC but unfortunately not available today.

It's also a good idea to get oil analysis done on a regular basis. It can find all sorts of issues before they become expensive problems.

I think the 5.9 Cummins would argue that statement.

jetur

Reaction score
The "11" power stroke needed a new heater at 140k mi and an a new injection assembly at about 100k. (Had the issues after filling at DEF pump at truck stop)

The "18" powerstroke has been flawless so far.

If you get the powerstroke fill up with the box's and you should be fine.

NicPaus

Reaction score
This will be the wife's DD, but it will also be used to go between our place in SoCal and Havasu. Her last two vehicles have been Toyotas and not one single issue. She has had GM vehicles in the past, including a Suburban, so leaving Toyota will be hard, but I want something I can tow a car hauler without having to take the truck. The diesel in the new Suburban is only a 1k option, but I don't want any issues on a road trip.
I would get the 6.2 before the Duramax. A Sequoia or better yet a Landcruiser will tow a car trailer no problem. But interior not as nice as the new Burban I just checked out the Suburban this last weekend. Nice rides. I like the Infinity SUV the best though. Friend has 1 and it hauls his big trailer every time his new 6.7 F350 is in the shop.

PlanB

Reaction score
I would get the 6.2 before the Duramax. A Sequoia or better yet a Landcruiser will tow a car trailer no problem. But interior not as nice as the new Burban I just checked out the Suburban this last weekend. Nice rides. I like the Infinity SUV the best though. Friend has 1 and it hauls his big trailer every time his new 6.7 F350 is in the shop.

Yeah, we were thinking of going with a Sequoia, but like you stated, you don't get a lot of nice stuff for the money. Toyota is typically behind when it comes to new tech, but they definitely give you reliability. She really like her last Suburban and we like the new ones, so we are probably going in that direction. If it ends up having issues we will probably go back to Toyota. I am most likely going with gas over diesel though.

Havoc Powesports

Reaction score
2017 ram 3500 bone stock performance wise had 44k no problems (traded for 19) 2019 ram 2500 bone stock performance wise currently at 22k no problems, brothers 2020 ram 1500 eco bone stock 36k no problems..

boatnam2

Reaction score
Some dude called me last night from Worthington ford and said I can get you a new F-250 STX Gasser for 83k and acted like he was doing me a favor, trucks are boat crazy right now.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Some dude called me last night from Worthington ford and said I can get you a new F-250 STX Gasser for 83k and acted like he was doing me a favor, trucks are boat crazy right now.
Eric just got a Lariat 4x4 with black package for 82k otd. Took it to the top of the dune last night for bonfire. Nice truck.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Eric just got a Lariat 4x4 with black package for 82k otd. Took it to the top of the dune last night for bonfire. Nice truck.

6 months ago you could buy a black 350 king ranch diesel for in the mid to high 70's out the door from what I saw, then they went crazy.. It's probably half the reason I have a ram in my driveway today. Trucks as a whole have gone full retard on pricing.

Last edited:

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
A guy name John Cadogan from Australia does a bunch of automotive videos. He's a big advocated of the recent diesel emission controls because "particulates cause cancer". All I've ever wanted to ask him is: "Diesels have been around a long time, smokey ones. Can you point out how people have been dropping dead left and right from Diesel emissions?"

We live in an age when we get so bullshitted we can't see straight. I lived through the fuel crisis of the 1970's. The world was supposed to run out of oil by 2000. Consequently I believe very little of what I hear from high up these days, like the government. Like Biden won the election.