WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Degreeing a Camshaft

Tahoe540

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I have degreed a few camshafts but don't do it everyday.
I have a new hydraulic roller cam I have been trying to match the cam card specs.
Long story short it had to be installed 6 degrees advanced to match the card and particularly the 109 degree intake centerline.
I have never had one off this mutch.
Should I run it or call the cam company?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
So, to get your 109 degrees, the timing set is(shows) 6 degrees advanced?

In my opinion, if you have the cam at 109°, in relation to the crankshaft, it is set up properly. (At least per the cam card)

There is multiple variables.
Crank keyway cut a few degrees off.
Crank timing gear cut a few degrees off.
Timing gear drilled a few degrees off.
Cam face drilled a few degrees off.
And that's just the timing set.

If just one degree off, on each one of the above, it could be up to four degrees out/off.

Other variables-
#1 and 2 crank journal off.
Cam/lifter bore casting shift.
Referencing #1 TDC off.

I've had cams (or crank/cam/timing set) up to 8 degrees off. I just double checked it, had another pair of eyes check my measurements, and if it all checked out, just ran it.

Hope that helps.

Dan'l

lenmann

Reaction score
If you are not sure of it, call the cam company. You bought the cam, you also paid for support as part of the price of the product.

I say that being the absolute last person on the planet that calls anybody for support. It's some sort of self reliant, independent, renaissance man, bullshit thing that I am aware of but I seem powerless to overcome. When I finally do call after days of trying to figure it out; they solve my problem in literally minutes.

Tahoe540

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses

I went through the process of finding TDC each time I degreed the cam. Going through the whole process probably 5-6 times thinking I was doing something wrong. It came up with the same wrong numbers every time. I even bought a new dial indicator to make sure my numbers were right.

I finally moved the crank gear to 6 degrees advanced and that put the numbers where they needed to be.

I guess it was just hard to accept that a brand new custom ground cam from Bullett would be this much off.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I have degreed a few camshafts but don't do it everyday.
I have a new hydraulic roller cam I have been trying to match the cam card specs.
Long story short it had to be installed 6 degrees advanced to match the card and particularly the 109 degree intake centerline.
I have never had one off this mutch.
Should I run it or call the cam company?
If you are concerned about it, you can check the various open and closing events, and verify another cylinder besides #1. How do you have the dial indicator set on the lobe?

As mentioned above, lots of things can play into it being off 6 degrees, I have seen worse.

Tahoe540

Reaction score
I am checking the lobe with a magnetic stand with a lifter and pushrod.

I have verified that after advancing the cam 6 degrees all of the timing events are correct. I am happy now as all the timing events are spot on.

I also verified with on the exhaust side to make sure I was correct.

I feel confident it is degreed correctly now I am just surprised it was off by this much. I have not had this experience before and thought I had lost my mind. Now I know I am just old and easily confused LOL

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I have a fixture that simulates a roller lifter with a dial indicator, but I normally always go back and check myself,, and how many of the things have I done over the years?

Hydraulic roller may tend to mess you up some, doesn't usually take much pressure to deflect the cup.