WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Delminated Bolsa wood floors

Ryan Herr

Reaction score
On our last trip out while our boat was sitting on the trailer, super hot out, the Bolsa floors on the boat delaminated. I guess they just got too hot. . . I've never seen this before, has this happened to anyone out there? I've done a little fiberglass work but never anything like this. Anyone have any tips for repairing this? I'm wondering the best way to cut out the delaminated area and what type of resin and fiberglass weight to use. Any suggestions and or tips would be appreciated.

Attachments

• f2FpLGG8RqK1jUO5wuJFIg.jpg
    f2FpLGG8RqK1jUO5wuJFIg.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 239

SS-C

Reaction score
On our last trip out while our boat was sitting on the trailer, super hot out, the Bolsa floors on the boat delaminated. I guess they just got too hot. . . I've never seen this before, has this happened to anyone out there? I've done a little fiberglass work but never anything like this. Anyone have any tips for repairing this? I'm wondering the best way to cut out the delaminated area and what type of resin and fiberglass weight to use. Any suggestions and or tips would be appreciated.
I can't believe nobody here had any suggestions for you.
It doesn't look that bad, just labor intensive.
I am no expert by any means, but I would think sanding out the delaminated part and applying new resin in stages building back up to original profile, then sand the entire floor, apply new top coat, then cut and buff as needed.
Again, just my thought on a quick salvage repair of the floor, but let's leave it for the experts.
That said I'm giving this post a bump!
Good luck!!

Ryan Herr

Reaction score
I can't believe nobody here had any suggestions for you.
It doesn't look that bad, just labor intensive.
I am no expert by any means, but I would think sanding out the delaminated part and applying new resin in stages building back up to original profile, then sand the entire floor, apply new top coat, then cut and buff as needed.
Again, just my thought on a quick salvage repair of the floor, but let's leave it for the experts.
That said I'm giving this post a bump!
Good luck!!
Thanks for your response! That's what I was thinking, like you said, was hoping there was some experts out there that could give me some tips.

Thanks again,
Ryan

lenmann

Reaction score
So, i'm no expert either, but i have had lots of boats so i'm kind of a "pro-sumer".

The puzzling part of this deal is why did it delam? I am guessing it isn't a new boat, new balsa or new glass so what made it do that? It's been fine for how many years? I am guessing it survived other hot days? Something changed and caused the failure. Failing to correct the root cause will simply result in the repair doing the same thing.

The one other time I have seen delam like this was because water got into the balsa, the water expanded in the heat, and caused the glass to separate from the balsa (delaminate). If that is the problem here you need to find the water source, address that issue (the root cause) and then repair the delam. Most balsa is cover laminated with two layers of 2 oz. CSM, then 6 oz of glass cloth, and then flow coated with UV resistant gel. This may then be cut and buffed depending on how shiny you want it and how much you hate your money.

Ryan Herr

Reaction score
I agree, I'm confused and concerned as to what caused the delam. My concern also is water that got under the floors, not sure how? Thanks for the advice, I'll get to the bottom of it and figure it out.