WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Delta Boat Crash

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
They were wearing jackets, right?
You would think it would be mandatory at a poker run, actually should have them on all the time in a high performance boat, but Im not going to beat that horse here. It may have been the case here where she was only knocked out, without a jacket on its not a good outcome.

Duramax

Reaction score
You would think it would be mandatory at a poker run, actually should have them on all the time in a high performance boat, but Im not going to beat that horse here. It may have been the case here where she was only knocked out, without a jacket on its not a good outcome.
I just read Dales post on OSO. They did not have their jackets on, as I think they were following everyone back home and maybe were relaxed and didn't think they needed them. We have all been there. Looks like a 40-50' yacht, trawler, whatever it was, came by and created a huge wake, that, along with some other confused water and a somewhat new boat for the captain, tragedy strikes as I assume the boat stuffed.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I just read Dales post on OSO. They did not have their jackets on, as I think they were following everyone back home and maybe were relaxed and didn't think they needed them. We have all been there. Looks like a 40-50' yacht, trawler, whatever it was, came by and created a huge wake, that, along with some other confused water and a somewhat new boat for the captain, tragedy strikes as I assume the boat stuffed.
Sad deal, and I have seen some of the massive boats on Delta, nothing even comes close on Havasu. And yes, we have all been there, and as much as I swear by jackets since I have crashed a few boats racing, Im just like everyone else and dont wear them all the time.

bocco

Reaction score
Sad deal, and I have seen some of the massive boats on Delta, nothing even comes close on Havasu. And yes, we have all been there, and as much as I swear by jackets since I have crashed a few boats racing, Im just like everyone else and dont wear them all the time.

I boat the Delta all of the time. Large cruisers putting rollers that are huge in narrow sloughs. I often drop back to idle and just wait for them to pass. The wake board boats are nothing compared to these cruisers.

Glad to hear the lady has only a bump on the head. Hoping it does not create any permanent damage.

Approximately where did this happen?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Typical, keyboard export who does nothing but make degrading comments because he read it on the internet. You actually saw the boat when it was in the toolies or you saw a photo of the boat afterwards?

People like yourself always bring down every thread with your know it all BS.

You aren't exactly making a great first impression around here.. It's actually kinda classless to roll in here and stir up shit in a thread like this...if you have an issue with someone take it to a PM...:rolleyes:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
@LargeOrangeFont if you can get to it first.

My thread editing powers only exist in the P&G section.

But this happens in EVERY boat crash thread, they all create drama here.

It’s a tragedy but the accident was mechanical malfunction or driver error. We aren’t going to hand wring or legislate these incidents away. These are fast boats and the occupants knew the risks, with or without life jackets. Thoughts for all those that this incident affected.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this and prayers to everyone involved.

I was just discussing something 'Semi-Relivant' to this topic . . . someone above mentioned the large wakes going 'into' sloughs etc. . . . I can agree with that statement 100%. (Not saying that's what caused it, and I don't /won't speculate, not my place).

The last good size south swell we had, I was fishing WAAAY in the back of the LA / LB Harbors . . . I was amazed out how much actual 'swell' had bent it's way around the 9 miles of breakwater and various jetties and was still showing way back in the harbor . . . it's was obviously knocked way down . . .but I caught myself a couple times looking for the tug boat that had created the 'wake' which was rocking me around . . . only to figure out it was the swell from outside.

Another example is that there are a couple places on the 'front side' of San Clemente Island that have actual 'surf spots' with a steep enough swell angle . . . the frontside is usually like a lake, but on the right swell angle, you can have sets breaking over reefs that you never even knew were there!

So yeah, I can see how a big wake could have a similar effect bending and wrapping way back into some backwater cuts or slews.

I guess you can never be too careful.

I hope the lady didn't suffer and may she rest in peace.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I understand that there will be discussions surrounding the cause of the accident. I don't see a place for pissing matches surrounding the cause of an unrelated accident that was a decade ago.

Agreed, but it happens every time with any notable boat. People can’t keep off their soapboxes. Every thread is a pissing contest.

Sherpa

Reaction score
aweful outcome to what should have been a great delta boating day.......

In response to anyone wondering about delta boating. yes, there's cruisers and yachts on the delta everywhere...... their rollers and wakes makes a rollbar boat's wake
look like a joke.....

you need to proceed with caution if there's cruisers around, since you can literally "drop" off a roller by maybe 6-8 feet down... I did it, just once. scared the crap outta
me and my crew that day. I'm surprized the hull didn't crack landing flat like that......... we hurt afterward,,,

I couldn't imagine powering-through a 6 foot roller at 50MPH......

--Sherpa

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think everyone was doing pretty well up until the FnG popped in. The PSA’s on vests were legit. Nothing preachy but some solid experienced boater info. Got me thinking anyway..

These always bring out the FnG’s.

The reality is we should all be wearing life vests at all times, just like we should be wearing helmets in the desert in the UTVs at all times if we were ultimately concerned.

You crash in a canopy or windsheild style boat at 100 with just a vest on you are probably dead. It’s not the crash that kills you it’s hitting everything on the way out of the boat that kills you.

That crash Brad was in a few years ago messed all 3 guys up pretty bad and they weren’t even going that fast. One knock unconscious and it’s a coin flip if you land in the water face up or face down wearing a vest. In theory it may flip you over.. hopefully.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

In response to anyone wondering about delta boating. yes, there's cruisers and yachts on the delta everywhere...... their rollers and wakes makes a rollbar boat's wake
look like a joke.....

you need to proceed with caution if there's cruisers around, since you can literally "drop" off a roller by maybe 6-8 feet down... I did it, just once. scared the crap outta
me and my crew that day. I'm surprized the hull didn't crack landing flat like that......... we hurt afterward,,,

--Sherpa

I hate saying it, but people going too fast for conditions is why stuff like this usually happens.

Reactions: DWC

PlanB

Reaction score

look like a joke.....

--Sherpa

We had the same thing happen in our Top Gun off of Point Loma in San Diego. Running about 80 mph and the water just dropped out from under us. We almost stuffed the boat into a wake on the other side of this hole in the water. Only time I ever took water over the bow of that boat. I looked around to see a huge yacht at least a few hundred yards away from us plowing water. It was definitely and eye opener.

bripar77

Reaction score
So sorry for the Loss. Dale sounds like you guys helped the Driver Survive. Great Job. Terrible "accident". Anybody in a Performance Cat should always
wear a Full Lifeline Sport Jacket before you get on Plane. It is not uncomfortable to wear them even when it is hot out. Performance Cats are so fast and get there
quickly and can be Tricky to drive in some conditions. We always wear ours and all passengers do to. Doesn't look cool but who cares. Who knows if this could have saved a life but it may have. Again sorry for the loss and Prayers to all her Family and Friends.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Rik isn't a new guy.. Granted that's a new account, but he's posted on here before. '

That said I think he was just saying that his product didn't fail, causing an accident over a decade ago. I admit when reading Tanks post it kinda pointed towards an arneson failure and I was thinking.. WTF can fail on an arneson? There isn't much to them that would break.

That all said, I'll Clean up the thread.. Welcome back Rik, lets all play nicely!

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think that's cleaned up enough.. let me know if I missed anything I'm on my phone with zero sleep.

RD

Orangegazm

Reaction score
Well it's been a little over three days since we rolled up on the incident scene.... I have to tell you, I can't get it off my mind.

I did not personally know Stephan or Nancy but this has shook me to the core. I've never felt so helpless in my life, seeing the aftermath of a horrific accident is one thing but having to leave before it got dark knowing a beautiful young woman and mother was still in the water has been life changing . Eventually this will fade in our memories but this one will take awhile, I literally shed tears today and I hope the best for everyone touched by this.

RIP Nancy.

This is a sport that many of us take for granted, me being one of them. In times like this we all should look in the mirror and ask how can I be a better captain. To see some of the remarks makes me want to throw up, PLEASE for the love of our sport... show some respect !!

wallnutz

Reaction score
Well it's been a little over three days since we rolled up on the incident scene.... I have to tell you, I can't get it off my mind.

I did not personally know Stephan or Nancy but this has shook me to the core. I've never felt so helpless in my life, seeing the aftermath of a horrific accident is one thing but having to leave before it got dark knowing a beautiful young woman and mother was still in the water has been life changing . Eventually this will fade in our memories but this one will take awhile, I literally shed tears today and I hope the best for everyone touched by this.

RIP Nancy.

This is a sport that many of us take for granted, me being one of them. In times like this we all should look in the mirror and ask how can I be a better captain. To see some of the remarks makes me want to throw up, PLEASE for the love of our sport... show some respect !!
Sorry you had to witness any of this tragedy.😕

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score

RIP Nancy.

Unfortunately I’ve been in the same situation and it sucks. I had to search for 8 days for my friends. It killed performance boating for me and why I’m such a proponent of life vests.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Yeah.... hard to unsee👎
Sir, I don't know you, or any of the involved. I've been through some things though...
What you saw will not fade from memory. There is both good and bad to that. It means anything you learned will never be forgotten, but also things in your memory will sneak up on you at times.

It won't fade from memory, but the memory itself will become easier on you.

In a day and age where some people choose to take pictures or videos, some still step up to try and help. Regardless of odds, and sometimes even skills, efforts are made to help, not document.

Doing what's right, is rarely easy. It often takes much more of a toll than time or physical effort. It sets people apart.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I almost killed my then 3 year old son in a boating deal, thankfully we brought him home unscathed, and he's now 32... I was also first on scene on a fatality on Parker years ago. Like Monkeyman says, it doesn't fade, but you will be a better and safer boater. Terribly sad accident. RIP

4Waters

Reaction score
It won't fade, 20 years from now it will still be clear as day like it happened an hour ago. I have 3 calls that I went on that are still clear as day. 1 was my first fatal car accident the dress she was wearing the smell in the air (rosemary BTW). 2 was me pulling up on scene 1st on scene and seeing a man kneeling in the driveway soaking wet with a Hawaiian shirt on and a lost look on his face, there was a wall around the front yard so I couldn't see what was on the ground in front of him but I knew, my trainee and I got that 14mo boy back. 3 is my nightmare, presidents day 2001 PCH 1st call of the day 2nd ambulance in triple fatal all 3 kids, the girl I worked really hard on was wearing a yellow tank top and stone washed jeans.

If you need to talk to someone do it, seeing shit like that is not for everybody, don't bottle it up and don't tough it out, you are NOT a candy ass because you need to talk, first responders have full on group therapy sessions for this.

gordon

Reaction score
It won't fade, 20 years from now it will still be clear as day like it happened an hour ago. I have 3 calls that I went on that are still clear as day. 1 was my first fatal car accident the dress she was wearing the smell in the air (rosemary BTW). 2 was me pulling up on scene 1st on scene and seeing a man kneeling in the driveway soaking wet with a Hawaiian shirt on and a lost look on his face, there was a wall around the front yard so I couldn't see what was on the ground in front of him but I knew, my trainee and I got that 14mo boy back. 3 is my nightmare, presidents day 2001 PCH 1st call of the day 2nd ambulance in triple fatal all 3 kids, the girl I worked really hard on was wearing a yellow tank top and stone washed jeans.

If you need to talk to someone do it, seeing shit like that is not for everybody, don't bottle it up and don't tough it out, you are NOT a candy ass because you need to talk, first responders have full on group therapy sessions for this.
Very well put. Was in an accident as well in the sand with a death speaking about is the best thing you can do. Also doing what you can do to not let it happen with you and taking the precautions maybe he didn't take. But was told by sons father pro motocross guy don't let it stop you from doing what you love

4Waters

Reaction score
Very well put. Was in an accident as well in the sand with a death speaking about is the best thing you can do. Also doing what you can do to not let it happen with you and taking the precautions maybe he didn't take. But was told by sons father pro motocross guy don't let it stop you from doing what you love
Exactly

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Im having a tough time and I didn't know them.... I couldn't even imagine if it where close friend or God forbid, family [emoji25]
I'm sorry to hear this Jeff. Sorry you and the Mrs. Has see that.

Sent Using Tapatalk

Wedgy

Reaction score
Sadness, sorrow for the lost. May they RIP. Condolences, Strength and Healing to the Family.

Accidents happen so fast on the water, faster than on land.

Been a few high impact MVA, last 2, last straw. They always seemed in slow motion. Operating my SeaRay since 2003, Glad I was able to have the Grace of God to pull this off. 2 CG AUX classes, Rookie operating skill, but at around 200 hrs in, I

Never really thought about how critical it was for my Son, Ex, and I to pull a Grandma, Grandpa, and 6 year old young Grandson aboard our boat from the water after a capsized PWC.

Right in front of the Riverside. It was not easy, and it took all 3 adults and Boy Scout Brandon to pull Gma aboard. We docked at the Riverside dock. At the dock, Gma couldn't stand. Ski vests saved them all. Thank God.

I am still haunted by the Windsurfer I barely missed, him crossing Lake Mojave as I was going up river, Out of the corner of my eye, Windsurfer. I turned to port to gain distance, as he was leaning hard over to barely cross astern.

I learned, always vigilant at the wheel. I never want to be that close again.

He had the right of way, but way too close for comfort, so glad I finally did see him. Again. Thank God.

Godspeed. Be safe.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
..Put about 75 to 100 miles on my Hsllett Flatty on the Delta and having lived on a 34 footer and knowing what kind of wakes they would put off… if I saw a big boat even within a quarter mile of me… I would slow way down and take a good look and see what I was going to have to do as far as smart boating defensive driving… never had a problem…

Orangegazm

Reaction score
Sir, I don't know you, or any of the involved. I've been through some things though...
What you saw will not fade from memory. There is both good and bad to that. It means anything you learned will never be forgotten, but also things in your memory will sneak up on you at times.

It won't fade from memory, but the memory itself will become easier on you.

In a day and age where some people choose to take pictures or videos, some still step up to try and help. Regardless of odds, and sometimes even skills, efforts are made to help, not document.

Doing what's right, is rarely easy. It often takes much more of a toll than time or physical effort. It sets people apart.

I agree... it will not fade, I pulled out a 16yo boy in front of his family. He was wearing cut off blue jeans, I had not thought about it in awhile. This was 32 years ago.... I remember it like it was yesterday 👎

Orangegazm

Reaction score

We all have crossed paths with something that will change us forever.... Thank God I have a great support group, we all need it.... no matter how tough you think you are.

Orangegazm

Reaction score
I want to THANK everyone that has posted something respectful in such a tragedy !!!! This is what true boaters are all about... open, candid with dignity to all involved. This is what sets us apart from many other sports, we may have lost a generation or two that don't understand what being a true boater means.... but it is our job to teach them, please don't lose faith !!!!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I agree... it will not fade, I pulled out a 16yo boy in front of his family. He was wearing cut off blue jeans, I had not thought about it in awhile. This was 32 years ago.... I remember it like it was yesterday 👎
Honestly, what seems to be the hardest for me is the sudden return of a memory or image. No rhyme nor reason, just like someone switched the channel in my mind.
I tell people that every memory I have, decision I've made, both good and bad, and injury I've sustained...makes me who I am. I've always felt when I've been witness to some sort of trauma or tragedy, I was meant to be there for some reason. Maybe in an odd way to pay forward the same help that was afforded me? I don't know how first responder types do it daily. A hand full of times in one's life is more than enough.

Orangegazm

Reaction score
Honestly, what seems to be the hardest for me is the sudden return of a memory or image. No rhyme nor reason, just like someone switched the channel in my mind.
I tell people that every memory I have, decision I've made, both good and bad, and injury I've sustained...makes me who I am. I've always felt when I've been witness to some sort of trauma or tragedy, I was meant to be there for some reason. Maybe in an odd way to pay forward the same help that was afforded me? I don't know how first responder types do it daily. A hand full of times in one's life is more than enough.
100%... When I read your post.... the file in my head opened and there was a 16 yo boy with cut off blue jeans, I was twenty at the time.

4Waters

Reaction score
We all have crossed paths with something that will change us forever.... Thank God I have a great support group, we all need it.... no matter how tough you think you are.

After talking about it today there is a good chance I will relive number 3 in the coming nights (nightmare) but if it makes someone feel like they are not alone in how they feel then it is worth it.

buck35

Reaction score
You're posts show wisdom way beyond your years.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
You're posts show wisdom way beyond your years.
Thank you for the kind words. I am just lucky I have the ability to put my thoughts into words. When it comes to these types of things though, it's taken years for me to kind of understand, but still no logic as to when the roll-a-dex will stop on something I don't want to see.
After talking about it today there is a good chance I will relive number 3 in the coming nights (nightmare) but if it makes someone feel like they are not alone in how they feel then it is worth it.
I don't dream much. When I do they are very rarely "good". Lots of "re-runs" if you will. After years, it seems as though somehow I've convinced myself some aren't premonitions of the future, just a memory of the past. With some, I used to wake up scared and sweaty, now I may wake up saddened by what occurred. Don't know what's worse in the long run, anxiety or depression?
I figure I'm still here, so I'm meant to feel whatever it is I feel. Good or bad, it is what it is, it's life.