WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Depth Sounder Transducer

EBT531

Reaction score
What transducer ware you guys running that actually works shooting thru the hull? Have a Lavey 29 nuera and the airmar-78 wont get a reading thru the hull. Or if you don't know what transducer you have, what brand depth sounder are you using that actually works installed this way? Thank you

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I had a simple Humminbird setup that worked very well. My understanding, though, is that this is more about the hull, and install, than the transducer itself. How did you mount it? If I recall correctly I used the transducer in a baggie, and then epoxied to the hull. Needs to be bubble free.

EBT531

Reaction score
I had a simple Humminbird setup that worked very well. My understanding, though, is that this is more about the hull, and install, than the transducer itself. How did you mount it? If I recall correctly I used the transducer in a baggie, and then epoxied to the hull. Needs to be bubble free.

I didnt mount it as it wouldn't get a reading. I tried in a bag of water with the hull splashed with water as well. Moved it around to a few different areas and nothing. Then I tried the Vaseline method, still nothing.

4Waters

Reaction score
Faria depth finder with an in hull (not through hull) transducer, works good.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Weird, mine would read out of the water. Flakey, but it would try. Maybe that hull isn't gonna work. Dunno. I'm about to mount another on the latest ride, but going transom mount this time.

RichL

Reaction score
Are you sure your placement doesn't have it trying to shoot through coring vs. straight fiberglass?

EBT531

Reaction score
Are you sure your placement doesn't have it trying to shoot through coring vs. straight fiberglass?

I'm not 100%, I'll give Lavey a call and see if there is a specific place in the bilge that works better. I've read some manufacturers actually have a spot that has no coring for this purpose.