WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Desert Storm Shootout “C’Mon Man”

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Fairly obvious you don’t have a clue. It’s insurance, math and statistics. Also people’s liability. Actuaries are paid big bucks to pencil out the risk. Do you know what an actuary is? Each MPH increase there is an percentage increase in risk of an accident occurring. Sure 200mph crash would result in the same as it would running 175. It’s the chance of the accident increasing with each increase in MPH. It’s why cars have a speed limiter. The manufacturer sets it at specific numbers with several factors, insurance being one.

If you stand behind your theory please become an event promoter. Go get the insurance and put your ass on the line. Report back...

Lol so how are they limiting the speed right now. They aren’t. They are limiting the distance so that in theory it cuts the speed. But there is nothing in the rules preventing someone from strapping j58 ram jets on their boat and letting it rip. Do you know what a j58 is?

so explain how the underwriter did a risk analysis of this with zero rules to prevent someone from going around the distance issue

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Lol so how are they limiting the speed right now. They aren’t. They are limiting the distance so that in theory it cuts the speed. But there is nothing in the rules preventing someone from strapping j58 ram jets on their boat and letting it rip. Do you know what a j58 is?

so explain how the underwriter did a risk analysis of this with zero rules to prevent someone from going around the distance issue

Explain how? They shortened the course as a concession to reduce risk.

If someone strapped a rocket to their bote the track would be 50 feet long the next year.

What is going to happen is the same thing that has already happened.. people will hit 200 in the 3/4 mile, someone will die, and the courses will be shortened again or the events eliminated entirely.

By the time rack storage is built in Havasu, the shootout will be gone.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
grudge match '22... its gonna be exciting. carry on.

Reactions: DWC

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score

My assumption is that the length is shortened in an effort to reduce the speeds thus reducing risk. This would allow a promoter to obtain insurance or obtain affordable insurance and feel comfortable with their risk as a promoter. I made that assumption using common sense.

I’m not an underwriter nor do I know if there are rules or not for a shootout. If I had to guess I would have to say there are some minimum rules for sure.

A J58 is a Pratt & Whitney jet engine, it was used in the sr-71. Quick google search discovered that. You could probably google how insurance is evaluated for such events too. Or save yourself time and just think logically.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score

Again, making an educated guess... if the promoter decided to not honor the insurance agreement of 3/4 mile and extends it to a full mile and an accident occurs then insurance is out. Hopefully there’s no injury or death. But if there is then the promoter gets royally fucked in the ass with Grad’s black double sided dildo with no lube. They’d lose everything they have and walk crooked forever. That should prevent most sane promoters from “going around the rules”.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I thought this was all supposed to be settled by 7 PM?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Let’s be honest here, for absolute top dog bragging rights, nobody is going to beat spirit of Qatar running 244 a couple of years ago. The “throw some turbines in it and break records” state of mind with no budget is over. Look at Low Altitude. Incredible boat but not challenging SOQ- and being outrun by American Ethenol and others depending on the shootout. I think the new era with shortened course is actually more interesting because it groups the boats closer together.

We can argue top dog bullshit all day. Doesn’t really matter. It’s pretty easy to spot a ringer run, and the ensuing shit show ruins the credibility of anyone claiming speeds they didn’t actually run.

I absolutely love the shootouts. But I don’t want to see legends of the industry dying at every event. RIP to the many lost doing what they loved. Yes they knew the risks. But we shouldn’t be losing guys twice or more a year.

1 mile, kilo, whatever, I don’t care. I just like to see the boats run. I agree the Havasu event could use better online coverage, I watch the LOTO event on my phone at work if I have time, and enjoy the commentary from Teague and the others.

Whatever it takes to keep the sport alive I’m good for. And even if it’s 30mph fast and everyone knows it, that Elimininator is still one bad bitch.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
So after watching that debacle on facebook....cory is claiming he ran 174 and provided pictures. Where are the pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DWC

oldschool

Reaction score
Is it too difficult to set up a speed trap for this?

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Is it too difficult to set up a speed trap for this?

Well its obvious they dont know how to use the guns...they are thinking too much... put the gun in someones hand ...point gun at boat...read mph on screen through radio

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Way better ways than relying on a radar gun. Transponders, GPS, etc. plus multiple guns. Plus a 2 run average. Not too hard to prove you ran the number with the technology available today. And with the money the big dogs are spending, its not a significant expense and probably already on the boat. Show multiple GPS readings of the correct MPH... if guys can do it in shitbox vehicles on the street, I’m sure someone with a big dollar boat can do it too. Post some draggy numbers on any street racing/ vehicle forum, and they will eat dudes alive over a few tenths.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Shootout is a “real race”... don’t need to be side by side to make results official

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
It is NOT a real race. Real races have rules and controls to keep things safe and accountable. This is the equivalent of the glamis sand drags on a holiday weekend.
Maybe it is. But running a sand car with safety features, and running a cat with big power are 2 completely different things. You’re not going shootout racing for under 200k even at the lower end. And the consequences for a catastrophe in a fast boat are way higher. Big difference between running a rail with 1000hp at glamis vs a true unlimited shootout boat. At least double the cost and WAY more danger. I remember reading the threads a few years ago during the heyday of shootout racing. Dudes were dying every month. For just about everyone it’s not worth the consequences.
You’re not going to survive a blow over at 150+

edit: I’m not talking about toons and other guys running 130 for bragging rights. These guys running BIG numbers take their lives into their hands on every run. At some point, it’s not worth it. And that doesn’t bring into account the money spent chasing the big numbers, 150+

NoOtherWay

Reaction score
Make it interesting...First to the card stop in the poker run is King of the Desert.😁

Use to be like this until that silver M35 flipped, then they started doing a staggered start.

those were fun to watch!!

Ill never forget the year Tony was driving that green M31 with 1350s. Straight flying to card stop one!

Last edited:

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I don’t care what the number was. To run 150+ in a 33 eliminator takes balls. We can argue the number all day. The speculation only adds to the excitement. I appreciate everyone who hangs it all out for nothing more than bragging rights. I enjoy watching the drama unfold as long as everyone comes back alive.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Explain how? They shortened the course as a concession to reduce risk.

If someone strapped a rocket to their bote the track would be 50 feet long the next year.

What is going to happen is the same thing that has already happened.. people will hit 200 in the 3/4 mile, someone will die, and the courses will be shortened again or the events eliminated entirely.

By the time rack storage is built in Havasu, the shootout will be gone.
Can a F150 tow a boat 174?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Pretty sad day when these micro cocks gotta argue for 6 pages who’s got the fastest {33-40’) boat running on the Colorado river / Havasu.
fucking stupid..

sure miss the 70’s & 80’s. Lol
giphy-11.gif

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Pretty sad day when these micro cocks gotta argue for 6 pages who’s got the fastest {33-40’) boat running on the Colorado river / Havasu.
fucking stupid..

sure miss the 70’s & 80’s. Lol
6 pages pshh! I'm going to go out on a limb and bet this gets to 12. Lol

sirbob

Reaction score
So...

Other than a cry report - what was said or agreed last night?

Singleton

Reaction score
So...

Other than a cry report - what was said or agreed last night?

going forward they will have a shootout committee. Will also create a rule book.
biggest item was they disclosed how the decision was made and why they made that decision. Based on their answers, they made a decision with the data they had and it was logical at that time. Some major issues with participant communications and go forward the race command channel will be private (too many spectators causing issues on the channel).
going forward if the guns are off (configuration of finish line angle to radar boat) all runs prior to that will be DQ’d and they will not adjust speeds.

IMO, if they would of said what they said last night at the start of the awards, it would of limited this drama. Some folks would still be upset, but it would of been explained to everyone day off, not 4 days later.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Well, that’s what ‘King of the Desert’ was, during the early 2005-2012 era & then in 2013 a silver M35 barrel-rolled around pilot rock & that was the end of that.... What sucks about that day is that the field was stacked. You had Gary’s P2 40ss, JT driving Roth’s 388, Tony in the 1350s M41 & a few others. That was going to be an epic run to the springs, but we will never know now.....

We have all seen the on-board videos of Predator one & the F34, then Predator 2 & Chip Romers 388, CRC & Bobbit’s Risky Business 40, then Predator 2 & Tony in the 1350s green M31.

With regards to this years shootout, it’s my understanding that it’s no longer a 1-mile course & has been shortened to a 3/4 course for safety? Well then, of course a 33ft boat with huge power is going to have an advantage over a 388 boat with less or equal power. I’m not sure if you’ve seen a Skater 388 parked next to a 33 Daytona, but the Skater is massive in comparison....

Anyways, I hope all is well GRADS & have a nice weekend!

Hope you’re well Pokey and slaying Red Robin bud. Good to hear from you.

hallett21

Reaction score
Assuming it’s not blowing 25mph the 1350 M31 boats might make a comeback in the shoot out. I would imagine they accelerate significantly faster than the bigger skaters?

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Sounds like somebody’s trying to show the business partners Invester’s there is money to be made if I hosted one don’t open your wings that far

skater40

Reaction score
So after watching that debacle on facebook....cory is claiming he ran 174 and provided pictures. Where are the pics?

Same picture of his gps he posted two years ago,last year at Loto and now desert Storm.
what are the odds of that gps showing max speed 3 consecutive years.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Well, that’s what ‘King of the Desert’ was, during the early 2005-2012 era & then in 2013 a silver M35 barrel-rolled around pilot rock & that was the end of that.... What sucks about that day is that the field was stacked. You had Gary’s P2 40ss, JT driving Roth’s 388, Tony in the 1350s M41 & a few others. That was going to be an epic run to the springs, but we will never know now.....

We have all seen the on-board videos of Predator one & the F34, then Predator 2 & Chip Romers 388, CRC & Bobbit’s Risky Business 40, then Predator 2 & Tony in the 1350s green M31.

With regards to this years shootout, it’s my understanding that it’s no longer a 1-mile course & has been shortened to a 3/4 course for safety? Well then, of course a 33ft boat with huge power is going to have an advantage over a 388 boat with less or equal power. I’m not sure if you’ve seen a Skater 388 parked next to a 33 Daytona, but the Skater is massive in comparison....

Anyways, I hope all is well GRADS & have a nice weekend!

Really great to see your name pop up again Pokey! Hope you are doing well.