WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Desert Storm Shootout

farmo83

Reaction score
The owner of the 33 Eliminator ( not sure if it’s still called “ Fatal Attraction”) was staying three doors down from me at the Nautical. Saw him emptying out the boat the morning of the shootout in the cove, even removed the rear bench seat.

Thing sounded mean!!

That's hilarious. We used to do that racing at the lake.

Duramax

Reaction score
I just heard!!
Apparently this years shoot out went about like the election! C’mon Man!!

look for the write up this week!
Are you saying that some of the speeds posted for certain boats was not correct? The Eliminator didn't get close to 174.6? Nganga said the street fair felt political, could it have spilled over into the shootout? What a shame. =)

attitude

Reaction score
Are you saying that some of the speeds posted for certain boats was not correct? The Eliminator didn't get close to 174.6? Nganga said the street fair felt political, could it have spilled over into the shootout? What a shame. =)
I know in the beginning the radar guns were out of calibration. I think in the first pass it said the 23 Argo ran 199 mph lol. I will give it to Kap and White Lightning for being the first to run showing everyone it wasn’t to windy and rough.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I will call Christina today and ask.. but the word on the street is the Elim didn’t put up the number.. the radar gun wasn’t calibrated, and they removed 25 mph and that’s how the number was derived.

The boat never ran above 160 for the rest of the day? At least that’s what’s I’m hearing.

Singleton

Reaction score
I will call Christina today and ask.. but the word on the street is the Elim didn’t put up the number.. the radar gun wasn’t calibrated, and they removed 25 mph and that’s how the number was derived.

The boat never ran above 160 for the rest of the day? At least that’s what’s I’m hearing.

first pass was reported high for the eliminator, then the radar was re-calibrated (apx 30mph off in speed) reported on channel 68 during the shootout. The 174.6 was a recalculated speed, not another run down the course. This is what I heard via the radio and articles posted online. If the 174.6 is a recalculated speed and was not achieved in another course run, I don’t think that should be king of the desert.

Singleton

Reaction score
WHAT 😧 how do you go out to record speeds without a calibrated instrument ?

it got explained that the radar boat shifted (anchors moved) on the water, causing the programmed angle in the gun to be off. Gun has a target on land and the angle has to be set correctly. Once the issue was reported by @KAP after his first run that something was off, they stopped, recalibrated the angle and had the first two participants rerun the course (from that point forward all speeds were accurate for those that ran the course).

Last edited:

skater40

Reaction score
That is correct.Speeds were “negotiated”.

skater40

Reaction score
first pass was reported high for the eliminator, then the radar was re-calibrated (apx 30mph off in speed) reported on channel 68 during the shootout. The 174.6 was a recalculated speed, not another run down the course. This is what I heard via the radio and articles posted online. If the 174.6 is a recalculated speed and was not achieved in another course run, I don’t think that should be king of the desert.
He did run again,159 mph.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
it got explained that the radar boat shifted (anchors moved) on the water, causing the programmed angle in the gun to be off. Gun has a target on land and the angle has to be set correctly. Once the issue was reported by @KAP after his first run that something was off, they stopped, recalibrated the angle and had the first two participants rerun the course (from that point forward all speeds were accurate for those that ran the course).
if they are using a gun thats not how they work. if they were using laser timers totally different.....ive used a lot of radar guns in my time

skater40

Reaction score

Correct

if you have a boat shot by radar at 100mph and it shows 125mph ,the difference at 199 mph is greater than the 25 mph at the lower speeds.It’s more closer to 35-40 mph off.So at 199.5 minus 40 mph is 159.5 which is exactly what his second run was.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Correct

if you have a boat shot by radar at 100mph and it shows 125mph ,the difference at 199 mph is greater than the 25 mph at the lower speeds.It’s more closer to 35-40 mph off.So at 199.5 minus 40 mph is 159.5 which is exactly what his second run was.

So I guess the question is why is this guy being called the king when he was clearly slower than the West Coast Drive boats?

rush1

Reaction score
So I guess the question is why is this guy being called the king when he was clearly slower than the West Coast Drive boats?
Randy Jones was the true King and Queen of the shootout at an honest 174.5 in the dial 911 skater and the throttle were being pulled back due to the crosswinds.

skater40

Reaction score
i have been waiting for this to pop up since Saturday. I listened to the entire shootout on channel 68 and knew that 174.6 number was never sent from the radar boat
That is correct.That number was never disclosed publicly till at the awards ceremony.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I've always been a fan of Fatal Attraction, but it sounds like there needs to be a change in the results.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Sounds like a heads up race in order.

Was already discussed this am.. If he wants to come back WCD is ready and has 30k that says he’s gonna get spanked.. nobody really wants the liability though in case he wads it trying to win.. The offer is made in the new thread to goto TX Outlaw challenge and he can pick between P1 / P3 or Dial 911 to prove he’s the king.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Was already discussed this am.. If he wants to come back WCD is ready and has 30k that says he’s gonna get spanked.. nobody really wants the liability though in case he wads it trying to win.. The offer is made in the new thread to goto TX Outlaw challenge and he can pick between P1 / P3 or Dial 911 to prove he’s the king.
30k dam... sounds like WCD is not playing games!

HCP3

Reaction score
Obviously modifications could have been made since, but the Eliminator "only" ran 162 MPH in the 2020 LOTO Shootout. 159 MPH in Havasu sounds right.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Correct

Which is also what he ran at LOTO!! We looked it up this AM!

burtdahurt

Reaction score
The 174.6 was a “negotilted” speed between him and Christina instead of him re running it like the first two boats did.
He cried like a baby And intimidated her.

Why is this a huge issue? Did anyone running the shootout lose millions of dollars as a result? I see it as a bunch of whiny cry babies getting pissed about spending 100$ to run their boat on a "controlled" course. As long as everyone left the course safe and able to boat another day, there's absolutely ZERO acceptable reasons to disrespect Jimmy and Christina they way Vern and Gary have. How would gary and vern feel if i called their wives every vulger name i could think of.... This is complete bullshit.. get the Fu&* over yourselves, grow up and move the F*&k on....
PS. Vern feel free to call me, you have my phone number.... I'll wait....

skater40

Reaction score
Christina and Jimmy did the best job they could .The radar gun , wind changing. Spectators running out on the course etc.
The results are what they are.Let’s all try to calm down and move on .Next year will be better,I promise.
We can all learn from the mistakes and make sure it doesn’t happen next year.
My hat off to the wonderful street party and poker run. I don’t think anybody expected that kind of record turnout.

burtdahurt

Reaction score
Christina and Jimmy did the best job they could .The radar gun , wind changing. Spectators running out on the course etc.
The results are what they are.Let’s all try to calm down and move on .Next year will be better,I promise.
My hat off to the wonderful street party and poker run. I don’t think anybody expected that kind of record turnout.

Gary, what your writing on the internet directly contradicts what you and Vern are runing all around town saying about Jimmy and Christina. I don't need to put all their business on the internet, but at the same time I won't allow people to spread false pretenses about what "Actually" happened. In the end of the day every single Captain and their crew of 2021 Desert Storm Made it home to their families to boat another day. To me that far more important than this dumpster fire of a post..
Have a great day Gary,
I left Vern a message I hope he takes me up on my offer to have a Gentleman's conversation
-R-

KAP

Reaction score

This is a classy response. I agree that the erroneous runs should have been thrown out. I certainly wasn't going to associate myself with that nonsense.

Well as we know stuff happens. As always great to see you and all of our boating family members wherever we may be boating. :).

Duramax

Reaction score
Why is this a huge issue? Did anyone running the shootout lose millions of dollars as a result? I see it as a bunch of whiny cry babies getting pissed about spending 100$ to run their boat on a "controlled" course. As long as everyone left the course safe and able to boat another day, there's absolutely ZERO acceptable reasons to disrespect Jimmy and Christina they way Vern and Gary have. How would gary and vern feel if i called their wives every vulger name i could think of.... This is complete bullshit.. get the Fu&* over yourselves, grow up and move the F*&k on....
PS. Vern feel free to call me, you have my phone number.... I'll wait....
I thought it was the owner of Fatal Attraction that talked shit and yelled at Christina? Sad deal all around.

DWC

Reaction score
Gary, what your writing on the internet directly contradicts what you and Vern are runing all around town saying about Jimmy and Christina. I don't need to put all their business on the internet, but at the same time I won't allow people to spread false pretenses about what "Actually" happened. In the end of the day every single Captain and their crew of 2021 Desert Storm Made it home to their families to boat another day. To me that far more important than this dumpster fire of a post..
Have a great day Gary,
I left Vern a message I hope he takes me up on my offer to have a Gentleman's conversation
-R-
Curious why you jumped in the middle of this. You connected to the Storm or Fatal Attraction teams?

burtdahurt

Reaction score
I thought it was the owner of Fatal Attraction that talked shit and yelled at Christina? Sad deal all around.

Not the whole truth, lots of participants and Big mouths flapping about stuff that ultimately DOESN'T matter. There aren't huge purses, world records, 7 figure endorsement deals to be had. It's a closed course to give participants a chance to safely push the limits of their machines how they see fit, all for 100$ at that.

But like the internet usually works, the loudest in the room is assumed to be correct. The facts are: the shootout happened and people are acting like some huge injustice was had. Some people's egos are hurt, so as a knee jerk reaction they feel that speaking about the event coordinators in disrespect will make their opinion appear more factual and easier to be heard.

I Promise that all voices are heard, even the disrespectful ones.

-R-

burtdahurt

Reaction score
Curious why you jumped in the middle of this. You connected to the Storm or Fatal Attraction teams?

I was up at 4am volunteering with many Other volunteers /sacrificing our time, our boats and our sanity so Everyone can have an enjoyable time on the lake watching the 2021 shootout. I draw the line and have zero tolerance of intentional disrespect by certain individuals, because their fragile precious egos are hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rye

Lord M((Squared))

Reaction score
Wow I'd taken a break the last couple days since the shootout for everything and after reading this thread I just feel like adding some thoughts from a participant's perspective. First let me start by saying that both my runs were after the radar gun was calibrated correctly because after checking my logs showed run 1 was 69.3mph and run 2 as 103.9mph both matching what was posted by the event staff so questioning numbers after calibration isn't on my list of issues. Gary and Vern in my opinion have a legit complaint in regards to top honors. IMO this is something that all of us drivers who ran in the event should have been given the opportunity to sit down in a closed door meeting and as a collective group decide what should have been done in regards to either accepting that number or not. I was under the impression day of that the first two boats runs were discarded and that they were given the opportunity to re-run immediately so I don't understand WTF happened. Me, I personally like whatever your fastest speed run was that day after calibration is your fastest speed........ PERIOD......End of Story! And any issues like this which take place during the event should be rectified by the Event staff but ALSO the participants as a group so that way everyone of us is in agreement which would end any question of legitimacy. From a spectator's perspective it would be nice to provide info of the boats that they are watching. There were some impressive numbers put up in the conditions that we were running in , weather it be the brutal cross winds, spectator boat wakes at the end of the course or dodging the idiots who came barreling thru the staging /starting area for shootout boats. I watched an open bow Nordic 28 run just under 100mph.....HELLO PEOPLE that's impressive and I know because the only way my old Nordic would go anywhere near 100mph is if i dropped it off a cliff.....yet the only reason I know anything about the boat is because he was in tech next to me *and apparently my class competition. Which kinda bring me to something that just flat out needs to be said......,and this is directed right at Speed on the Water.......WTF! The write up on line was terrible at best. At first I couldn't figure out why it was so terribly worded and then realized they had nothing to provide as info because they never bothered to get in contact with any of the boats that were running to find out anything about them....wait I will say they never asked me about anything......there were plenty of stories out there and the biggest not being KING/QUEEN but the high level of driver skills on display from all the boats but that's my just my opinion. Shit I was excited thinking I'd at least finally get a cool pic of my boat running.....nope no pic .......dam it.... 🤣 🤣 The only info of my run was posted on this very thread and was run 2 103 porpoising badly.......No SHIT🤣🤣! Lets just say it's a great story about why you should never redo your setup 48hrs before race day that start's off with launching the boat sat morning to find out it won't plane, to ending with me uncorking a 103 on a totally FU'd setup on the very water that 9 years earlier a Mr Mike Fiore in an Orange SV29 running the very same {lol exactly the same} motor package yet on a longer course recorded a 102mph run which at the time stirred up quite a bit of inner web drama. It's ok though I like CRICKETS :cool:

DWC

Reaction score
I was up at 4am volunteering with many Other volunteers /sacrificing our time, our boats and our sanity so Everyone can have an enjoyable time on the lake watching the 2021 shootout. I draw the line and have zero tolerance of intentional disrespect by certain individuals, because their fragile precious egos are hurt.
First time helping out the Desert Storm team?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I thought Corey was yelling at them not Gary:Vern so which was it

Singleton

Reaction score
Wow I'd taken a break the last couple days since the shootout for everything and after reading this thread I just feel like adding some thoughts from a participant's perspective. First let me start by saying that both my runs were after the radar gun was calibrated correctly because after checking my logs showed run 1 was 69.3mph and run 2 as 103.9mph both matching what was posted by the event staff so questioning numbers after calibration isn't on my list of issues. Gary and Vern in my opinion have a legit complaint in regards to top honors. IMO this is something that all of us drivers who ran in the event should have been given the opportunity to sit down in a closed door meeting and as a collective group decide what should have been done in regards to either accepting that number or not. I was under the impression day of that the first two boats runs were discarded and that they were given the opportunity to re-run immediately so I don't understand WTF happened. Me, I personally like whatever your fastest speed run was that day after calibration is your fastest speed........ PERIOD......End of Story! And any issues like this which take place during the event should be rectified by the Event staff but ALSO the participants as a group so that way everyone of us is in agreement which would end any question of legitimacy. From a spectator's perspective it would be nice to provide info of the boats that they are watching. There were some impressive numbers put up in the conditions that we were running in , weather it be the brutal cross winds, spectator boat wakes at the end of the course or dodging the idiots who came barreling thru the staging /starting area for shootout boats. I watched an open bow Nordic 28 run just under 100mph.....HELLO PEOPLE that's impressive and I know because the only way my old Nordic would go anywhere near 100mph is if i dropped it off a cliff.....yet the only reason I know anything about the boat is because he was in tech next to me *and apparently my class competition. Which kinda bring me to something that just flat out needs to be said......,and this is directed right at Speed on the Water.......WTF! The write up on line was terrible at best. At first I couldn't figure out why it was so terribly worded and then realized they had nothing to provide as info because they never bothered to get in contact with any of the boats that were running to find out anything about them....wait I will say they never asked me about anything......there were plenty of stories out there and the biggest not being KING/QUEEN but the high level of driver skills on display from all the boats but that's my just my opinion. Shit I was excited thinking I'd at least finally get a cool pic of my boat running.....nope no pic .......dam it.... 🤣 🤣 The only info of my run was posted on this very thread and was run 2 103 porpoising badly.......No SHIT🤣🤣! Lets just say it's a great story about why you should never redo your setup 48hrs before race day that start's off with launching the boat sat morning to find out it won't plane, to ending with me uncorking a 103 on a totally FU'd setup on the very water that 9 years earlier a Mr Mike Fiore in an Orange SV29 running the very same {lol exactly the same} motor package yet on a longer course recorded a 102mph run which at the time stirred up quite a bit of inner web drama. It's ok though I like CRICKETS :cool:

pleasure meeting you at the Saturday dinner. it was way too loud to hold any conversations and my little one was worn out so we left before all the shootout awards were given out.

Duramax

Reaction score
Not the whole truth, lots of participants and Big mouths flapping about stuff that ultimately DOESN'T matter. There aren't huge purses, world records, 7 figure endorsement deals to be had. It's a closed course to give participants a chance to safely push the limits of their machines how they see fit, all for 100$ at that.

But like the internet usually works, the loudest in the room is assumed to be correct. The facts are: the shootout happened and people are acting like some huge injustice was had. Some people's egos are hurt, so as a knee jerk reaction they feel that speaking about the event coordinators in disrespect will make their opinion appear more factual and easier to be heard.

I Promise that all voices are heard, even the disrespectful ones.

-R-
Just like I don't understand peoples feelings on some things, maybe you might not either on this issue. Just because there is no money involved, no big trophy, no magazine article, no interview, doesn't mean these guys aren't passionate about it. Truck loads of money, tons of time, and 1000's of miles driven, and all these guys want is to hear their name called out as, "King of the Desert". I'm sure it feels like a big slap in the face when it goes down like this. To put up a fair fight and lose would be much easier to take then this. Just my opinion of course.

burtdahurt

Reaction score
Just like I don't understand peoples feelings on some things, maybe you might not either on this issue. Just because there is no money involved, no big trophy, no magazine article, no interview, doesn't mean these guys aren't passionate about it. Truck loads of money, tons of time, and 1000's of miles driven, and all these guys want is to hear their name called out as, "King of the Desert". I'm sure it feels like a big slap in the face when it goes down like this. To put up a fair fight and lose would be much easier to take then this. Just my opinion of course.

@Duramax I 100% agree with you, being passionate about something doesn't make it OK to be disrespectful, belittling and a flat out jerk. Times of adversity/challenge truly bring out peoples true character. The screenshots/ and conversations I have been privileged to, show that the low road was taken.

Duramax

Reaction score
@Duramax I 100% agree with you, being passionate about something doesn't make it OK to be disrespectful, belittling and a flat out jerk. Times of adversity/challenge truly bring out peoples true character. The screenshots/ and conversations I have been privileged to, show that the low road was taken.
I agree with that also.

skater40

Reaction score
Have a great day Gary,
-R-
I don’t lie.What I said is the gospel truth.