WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Desktop computer

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Lol
Yeah, that’s what pc gurus do.
Lord knows I did that before.

OR...and just a suggestion... get the IMac and (like they say) just click a button and guess what? It does what you want without a care in the world about HOW it does it.

I work with a lot of computer geniuses. Guys that actually build their own phones and devices.
They brag a lot about how many systems are on their devices and compare all their cool stuff all the time.
They look at my Iphone with total disgust. “That’s a teenage girls phone” is their battlecry.
Yeah, that’s the way I like it.
I don’t give a shit HOW it works, I just want to mash a button and have it do what I am trying to do.
What they see as inferior is the exact thing I see as a benefit.
I have an Iphone and love it. I just don’t like the interface of the IMac nor the price. We had brand new 27” IMacs at my last job and half the company was begging the IT guy to switch. On the other hand, my current CEO refuses to work on a PC so he decided to go get a new Macbook Pro and hook it to a 32” widescreen monitor for his office...

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Whats a good desk top? I have an older HP which is gotta be about full. Was fast enough when i bought it now its slower then 6 old ladies. Idk what to get, apple? New hp? Truthfully i dont really know what im looking at when it comes to computers. I want a fast one thats all i know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IF your machine has a spinning hard drive an upgrade to an SSD and some more ram will speed it up substantially and get you more life at a very reasonable cost.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I need a desktop for sketch up bluebeam procore cad qcad revit and a few otheres. Laptop is like 3g for what I need. Oddly enough a gaming computer isn’t what I need either. I need a special graphics card or some shit. My it guy is putting one together

MrsVP

Reaction score
Yes that and pro kitchen. What computers do you run for 2020? Also looking to add cabinet vision.

Call Noah at NYPC Repair. I run 2020, and Pro Sketch for shops on the commercial jobs. Noah built mine specifically for 2020 because the graphic card you need. He's reasonable and will pre-load everything for you. Are you out here in the desert? He's on 111, 1 888-616-6972.
I have zero lag, and more memory than I know what to do with. Reasonable priced too. He did our receptionists computer too.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Call Noah at NYPC Repair. I run 2020, and Pro Sketch for shops on the commercial jobs. Noah built mine specifically for 2020 because the graphic card you need. He's reasonable and will pre-load everything for you. Are you out here in the desert? He's on 111, 1 888-616-6972.
I have zero lag, and more memory than I know what to do with. Reasonable priced too. He did our receptionists computer too.
I honestly thought if I got the best gaming computer money could buy I’d be set for a few years. My It guy just laughed at me. He’s going to build mine for exactly what I need and save me about 2g. We have a top of the line mac too but I don’t like the track pad

MrsVP

Reaction score
I honestly thought if I got the best gaming computer money could buy I’d be set for a few years. My It guy just laughed at me. He’s going to build mine for exactly what I need and save me about 2g. We have a top of the line mac too but I don’t like the track pad
When I was first looking that's the route I started with too. I called Noah, and he saved me a grip, and explained why I didn't want the gaming computer. I've had mine for a couple years and I love it.

C-2

Reaction score
IF your machine has a spinning hard drive an upgrade to an SSD and some more ram will speed it up substantially and get you more life at a very reasonable cost.

Yup, great point.

Also, no matter what you buy, or have, the more RAM the better. If you are maxed out on RAM, you have a SSD and your computer is still slow, then either deactivate and re-install Windows, or buy a computer with a larger RAM capacity. I can't imagine anybody on this board neeeding more than 16-32GB of RAM unless you are gaming, which is a whole different discussion (I don't game, it sounds like Kay0tk knows a lot).

For those who don't know, your hard drive is more or less for storage and it physically houses your operating system. But, after the computer boots then it loads the operating system into RAM, and the OS works in RAM. So the more you have, the faster your machine will run.

More "cores" too. Computers execute machine code one instruction at a time. Granted, they are done within milliseconds of each other, but, the more cores you have, the more instructions can be fed to the CPU, making the computer operate more efficiently.

The problem with RAM is the price fluctuates like precious metals do.

Rbcconst

Reaction score

My main office is in Beaumont and have a satellite office in palm desert. Just in case your thinking RBC Builders we are in no way associated with them. I get about one call a week from someone they haven’t paid. When calling new subs in the valley they often ask and then proceed with a story on how they didnt get paid from them.

I will call him, I would assume pro kitchen and 2020 take the same.

What is pro sketch? Can you do custom cabinets on it? Thats what i need. We have used pro kitchen for them and it lacks in a true custom design. Ive yet to build anything twice but don’t want to run into that.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I use a HP laptop with a triple monitor setup. Don't mind the mess lol

This is the splitter I use.

Check this out at Amazon.com
StarTech.com Triple Monitor Docking Station - 4K - Universal USB 3.0 Port Replicator with HDMI and DisplayPort (USB3DOCKH2DP) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012VKW900/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apap_FuiJpfQuHHWCB
1563982311183.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: C-2

MrsVP

Reaction score
My main office is in Beaumont and have a satellite office in palm desert. Just in case your thinking RBC Builders we are in no way associated with them. I get about one call a week from someone they haven’t paid. When calling new subs in the valley they often ask and then proceed with a story on how they didnt get paid from them.

I will call him, I would assume pro kitchen and 2020 take the same.

What is pro sketch? Can you do custom cabinets on it? Thats what i need. We have used pro kitchen for them and it lacks in a true custom design. Ive yet to build anything twice but don’t want to run into that.

What a shit show, that sucks you're having to deal with those calls!

Pro Sketch is something I found to help with the shops for our commercial jobs when I need to show stretchers, line holes, blah blah. All the crap I hate doing. I end up designing in 2020 for floorplans, elevations and renderings and then cross designing in the other for all the shops. I started with 2020 so I can do a big kitchen in 30 minutes. From my understanding you can get your cut lists and send to a CNC directly from that program. When I get to the office I'll send you PM with the info.
We don't do a lot of custom residential but when we did I would just use one of my lines I can heavily modify in, and then cut lists would be made from that. You can't beat the renderings from 2020.

Lil'Moni77

Reaction score
Best thing I ever did was go to the Windows Surface!!! This thing is fast and reliable and so compact!! Literally fits in my purse and allows me to work from anywhere!! I work on the Metrolink in the mornings and afternoons on my commute to and from work... Plus I can work from right inside the car while someone else is driving to the next vacation spot!! :D

Here is my set up...

Surface 3.jpg
Surface 1.jpg
Surface 2_LI.jpg

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I have a 27 iMac And the newer 27 iMac pro! ...Way back when, when I built my first powerhouse windows pc, It was obsolete a few weeks later!... The Pentium!..And two more builds after! and then the first crippling virus! ... In 2004 I got the first Mac Pro W/Cinema Display! (still have it lol) and wife had to have the first MacBook Pro! Definitely Had a Big-Mac Attack! .... :ThePerfectEmojiWeDon'tHaveAndWillProbablyNeverSeeGoesHere: o_O Then the iPhones & iPads came out! :AnEvenBetterOneWouldGoHere: Followed by! :ShakingMyFuck'nHead: :D o_O
I know the feeling. I was a Apple hater, and all about PC until catching my 2nd case of the clap or whatever PC virus I contracted, and fed up with my junk not working properly. So, I switched to Mac, and I doubt I'll ever go back. Hell, I've been the Mac for 15 years and have hit sites all over the world, all without using any protection, and still virus free.

bryzmon

Not a Member
Reaction score
Surface Pro (Costco might still have on sale) + Surface dock ($140) to run dual monitors. A desktop just doesn't make sense for most people anymore. To be future proof look for i5 or i7 CPU (not i3), and 256 SSD Drive (nothing smaller) and you will be good for years.