WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Destroyed 496 Mag whipple supercharger (Warning: Boating Content)

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
I have a 496 mag with a whipple kit that broke a rod and took out the long block. No surpise there...lol the 496 is a good engine stock, the whipple kit is EXCELLENT but the combo is a POS. ANYWAY...Since I need a blower capable longblock I was wondering what to do? Gen 7 build with expensive Raylar parts or can I build a normal BBC and reuse most of the Marinization, electrical systems, and Whipple parts from this engine. I don't think I'm interested in selling the whipple parts unless the buyer already has a forged 496 8.1 Gen 7.

Opinions please?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I have a 496 mag with a whipple kit that broke a rod and took out the long block. No surpise there...lol the 496 is a good engine stock, the whipple kit is EXCELLENT but the combo is a POS. ANYWAY...Since I need a blower capable longblock I was wondering what to do? Gen 7 build with expensive Raylar parts or can I build a normal BBC and reuse most of the Marinization, electrical systems, and Whipple parts from this engine. I don't think I'm interested in selling the whipple parts unless the buyer already has a forged 496 8.1 Gen 7.

Opinions please?

Make sure you go through the oil coolers and anything associated with the oiling system before you put in another engine.

fmo24

Reaction score
I would talk to Barry Obnoxious here on the boards. He occasionally has blocks or engines that may meet your needs.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Call Teague and see what they have. They often have long blocks ready to go, or they can build you one.

Hammer

Reaction score
How much do you want to spend? How fast do you want to go?

82daytona

Reaction score
Teague has some very affordable options. They had a nice rebuilt merc 500hp complete a few months back. Contact Eric there. You'll be glad you did!

82daytona

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417040177.433234.jpg

PVHCA

Reaction score
Don't put a charger on a Merc. black motor is one place to start.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Don't put a charger on a Merc. black motor is one place to start.

Huh??

Blue motors are excellent platforms for superchargers. Gen 5 and 6 motors. The problem is the gen 7 496 design..

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
The motor is junk now. block crank pistons rods heads. But I still have a whipple kit and all the parts to marinize a long block. If I am going to build an engine I am going to do it right with a good block forged parts alum heads etc. I would like to see 800hp. I am trying to figure out two things....1) does any of this shit bolt up to a Gen 5 or 6 2) will the charger keep up with 800hp?

I can't tell if the charger is a 2.3 or the 3.3 found in later kits. Maybe you can tell from a pic?

whipple.jpg

JBS

Reaction score
Don't call Raylar You'll be calling someone else after.

Would you recommend timanator?

At least with Timanator you get a free Husky hair coat :D

Raylar you just get the shaft and are expected to say Thank you :grumble:

Actually Fuck them both. They are both crooks. And yes I have first hand experience with them both

OCTANE MARINE

Reaction score
496.jpg If you rebuild A 496 with forged internals and correct parts it is by far better than the Raylar setup. We just finished one. It is very important to verify the tune in the computer is correct! (running down the lake) Sometimes it is your best option than totally starting over. I have a complete 496 ready to rebuild using forged internals if you are interested. Let me know.

PS.. Hi Jeff and Paul.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
My buddy has a 496 HO with a supercharger. Told him he is counting the days until that engine is junk.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 378874 If you rebuild A 496 with forged internals and correct parts it is by far better than the Raylar setup. We just finished one. It is very important to verify the tune in the computer is correct! (running down the lake) Sometimes it is your best option than totally starting over. I have a complete 496 ready to rebuild using forged internals if you are interested. Let me know.

PS.. Hi Jeff and Paul.

thank you for the offer but I would like to build it myself. I thought that raylar was the only game in town for forged internals and alum heads....please share. Is that engine in the pic a 2.3 whipple or 3.3. I think they made two kits

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
There are a lot more options then Raylar. Look into BoostPower. They sell rotating assemblies put together for your needs. Also GT Maine, Pfaff are good ones.

Not to sound like a jerk, but if you thought Raylar was the only game in town you might not want to build your own motor. You don't have the knowledge to build a reliable marine blower motor. There's a lot more that goes into it then just high quality parts. These pro marine engine builders know how to set all the clearances needed to make a marine motor last. It's a lot different then a street motor. Do yourself a favor and have one of these guys build your motor. It will be cheaper in the long run. Trust me...I know this from experience.

I think it has been proven here on RDP that Obnoxious can build you a motor for a very reasonable price, and build it right.

I've spent $1000's trying to build my own motors that ended up with failures. And the persons helping me happen to be in the NHRA hall of fame for their tuning abilities.

Just my 2 cents

bilge rat

Reaction score

Opinions please?

Give GT a call he can answer all your questions, he is in today (909)982-8391

Singleton

Reaction score
Perfect timing for this thread. I was just thinking about upgrades to the boat this off season.

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
We had Octane Marine build us a new motor for our 26' ICC Daytona. Can't even tell you how happy we are. BBC 540, 985EFI, Dyno Sheet to prove it with all good parts. Charlie, onwer of Octane Marine, knows how to build marine power. Our motor runs perfect, no issues in 60 hrs and we run it hard. Charlie is always at the poker runs as a sponser, he is very approchable, always made time to answer my questions before the build, during and still does.
The nice part is you can actually talk to Charlie, the guy who will build your motor. All the big motor builders are good, we just found that we got better customer service with Octane than past experiences with other shops.

Good Luck

robby dmax

Reaction score
The motor is junk now. block crank pistons rods heads. But I still have a whipple kit and all the parts to marinize a long block. If I am going to build an engine I am going to do it right with a good block forged parts alum heads etc. I would like to see 800hp. I am trying to figure out two things....1) does any of this shit bolt up to a Gen 5 or 6 2) will the charger keep up with 800hp?

I can't tell if the charger is a 2.3 or the 3.3 found in later kits. Maybe you can tell from a pic?

View attachment 378848

For starters I pretty sure they only make the 2.3 for the 496..
Coming from someone that HAD a raylor 496 then went to the 525efi.. save the time and headache find yourself a 500efi or a 525efi go from there.. your question will the parts work from your 496 to 502.. NO all different.
I went from a raylor 496 to a 525efi then a whipple sitting on top of my 525 and I love it..

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Well I don't have the cash to pay a pro builder to make a 496 with forged internals. May just sell the whipple kit and put that towards another NA engine. What is it worth used? Is the 496 worth anything? long block is shit but all the marine stuff is obviously there.

BigSteve

Reaction score
There are a lot more options then Raylar. Look into BoostPower. They sell rotating assemblies put together for your needs. Also GT Maine, Pfaff are good ones.

Not to sound like a jerk, but if you thought Raylar was the only game in town you might not want to build your own motor. You don't have the knowledge to build a reliable marine blower motor. There's a lot more that goes into it then just high quality parts. These pro marine engine builders know how to set all the clearances needed to make a marine motor last. It's a lot different then a street motor. Do yourself a favor and have one of these guys build your motor. It will be cheaper in the long run. Trust me...I know this from experience.

I think it has been proven here on RDP that Obnoxious can build you a motor for a very reasonable price, and build it right.

I've spent $1000's trying to build my own motors that ended up with failures. And the persons helping me happen to be in the NHRA hall of fame for their tuning abilities.

Just my 2 cents

Good answer :champagne:

Give them all a call you never know what laying around out back as a good low hour running take out motor from a upgrade project.

One mans junk is a another mans treasure and not spending a fortune doing it.

Singleton

Reaction score
leave it stock and run the shit out of it..
496 is turn key on 87 octane:D

While that is the smart answer, I get this bug every year and usually talk myself out of it by February. However, I am running out of things to upgrade on my boat. Send ideas!!

My problem is I can't leave anything I own that runs on gas alone, it all gets upgraded sooner or later. Once I run out of upgrades I stop until something breaks. Right now only the Jeep and boat are left, my truck is done until something needs to be replaced due to maintenance or something breaking.

robby dmax

Reaction score
While that is the smart answer, I get this bug every year and usually talk myself out of it by February. However, I am running out of things to upgrade on my boat. Send ideas!!

My problem is I can't leave anything I own that runs on gas alone, it all gets upgraded sooner or later. Once I run out of upgrades I stop until something breaks. Right now only the Jeep and boat are left, my truck is done until something needs to be replaced due to maintenance or something breaking.

I hear you... then your best bet is to sell the motor drive and gimble all in one as a package deal.. as I did. before something goes south and it is worth nothing..
shop around for a 525efi.. shop offshore only for a new gimble.. go to Teague for a drive as they are very close in price to an xr. but better.. get what you pay for.:D:D

Singleton

Reaction score
I hear you... then your best bet is to sell the motor drive and gimble all in one as a package deal.. as I did. before something goes south and it is worth nothing..
shop around for a 525efi.. shop offshore only for a new gimble.. go to Teague for a drive as they are very close in price to an xr. but better.. get what you pay for.:D:D

Great concept, but no one is really buying used 496HO's anymore. Mine is a 07 with over 400 hours, so getting anything for it will be hard.

My wife would kill me if I purchased a new motor, but she is OK with upgrades, so I have to balance that.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Now that I have the new 502 w cats I kind of wish we would have gone w the old 496Ho. Wasn't an option but I wish it would have been

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Now that I have the new 502 w cats I kind of wish we would have gone w the old 496Ho. Wasn't an option but I wish it would have been

I have a 496 HO and I hear the 502 is twice the motor...Wanna trade?:D

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have a 496 HO and I hear the 502 is twice the motor...Wanna trade?:D

How many hours? There are no upgrades and the cats get way to hot and the keep burning my hatch. It's also a bigger engine

FreeBird236

Reaction score
How many hours? There are no upgrades and the cats get way to hot and the keep burning my hatch. It's also a bigger engine

I'm not serious about a trade too many modifcations for both of us, but you do have a significantly better engine. Hope you can get your problems squared away, and I'm sure some mods will be on the way.:thumbup:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I'm not serious about a trade too many modifcations for both of us, but you do have a significantly better engine. Hope you can get your problems squared away, and I'm sure some mods will be on the way.:thumbup:

I should have went w the ho for sure but couldn't justify the 6k now I'm kind of beating myself up. The boat runs terrific though and no complaints other than it's burning my hatch.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
What happens if I whipple the 502? Don't want to blow it up would much rather buy another "fast" boat

JBS

Reaction score
I should have went w the ho for sure but couldn't justify the 6k now I'm kind of beating myself up. The boat runs terrific though and no complaints other than it's burning my hatch.

So are you just accepting the burnt hatch as normal?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
So are you just accepting the burnt hatch as normal?

Well I haven't called cobra back after them fixing it the first time. I'm not really accepting it as normal but I'm not sure what a solution would b. the way it was explained made sense so I'm left to wonder is this something merc needs to look at? Or do I need more room in the hatch area? That would make me think the would need to move the engine forward or maybe even not allow that size engine in that size boat?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Anyone else w this engine have thus issue?

CoolCruzin

Reaction score

I like my 502 8.2 engine a bit more than the 496 .
Still to new to really know but I think the 8.2 is the way to go if there was an option ..

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I like my 502 8.2 engine a bit more than the 496 .
Still to new to really know but I think the 8.2 is the way to go if there was an option ..

What are the main differences you notice? I'm sure your hatch is much bigger no burns?

CoolCruzin

Reaction score

There are some upgrades for the new 8.2 engine now .
Teague has info on it . Whipple has a pcm upgrade and using the CMI headers .( get the cat off )
Only thing stopping me is put out the money.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have more room on top by the hatch on the 26ft . But I see the tail pipe getting a bit hot just on the looks of the paint .
No issues .

Thanks I'm gonna check into Teague. Paints getting worn and carpet burning

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Well I haven't called cobra back after them fixing it the first time. I'm not really accepting it as normal but I'm not sure what a solution would b. the way it was explained made sense so I'm left to wonder is this something merc needs to look at? Or do I need more room in the hatch area? That would make me think the would need to move the engine forward or maybe even not allow that size engine in that size boat?

"Take cover child!!"