WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Detail Specialties new proprietary Ceramic Coat!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Seems like a popular thing to do in the detail world these days. Is this a ground-up formulation, or just re-branding a known product?

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I had G-technique put on my cobalt when it was brand new. 5 year or 7 year "warranty" blah, blah, blah....... Anybody ever claimed on one of those warranties? That was 2 years ago. I would say after one season it was back to same old same old, scrubbing the boat on the ramp to get the spots off. Is the water different at Powell? I don't think so. I've tried a few spot removal solutions (some recommended from RDP) and none of them really worked any better. Finally went back to Hot Sauce, it's crap too. Seems like boat has to be in the shade at just the right temp with the exact amount of 3/4 gallon on your one rag before you wipe, in order to get the spots off. I'm done. I'm going back old school, it always worked in the past. Carnuba Wax a couple times a year, water and vinegar at ramp to remove spots. Each spring do a light polish coat prior to carnuba paste. And if it doesn't look "wet" enough after that wax, put on one more coat, WTH. My bet is I'll save a crap ton of money and probably not cost myself any time.

Rant over!

Well, almost. "Sauce"? Really? No points for originality on that one. How about juice or shine or gloss or drool! I don't know, something other than what the "other guy" already has done.

Sorry, maybe I'm having a bad day........... just done with all this, "buy this and it will be easy" crap.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Gloss sauce. No relationship to boat bling?

No relationship to boat bling.. I told Chris I didn't like the "sauce" term either (not because of boat bling, I just never cared for the terminology) but he says that is what he is known for is that term.. So I dunno.

RD

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
How does the market (customers) know what they're getting and if/how it's anything different than the cheap stuff available online? How can anyone have confidence in these magic-in-a-bottle products?! If all it takes is a great looking boat, car or truck, any detailer can do that

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I had G-technique put on my cobalt when it was brand new. 5 year or 7 year "warranty" blah, blah, blah....... Anybody ever claimed on one of those warranties? That was 2 years ago. I would say after one season it was back to same old same old, scrubbing the boat on the ramp to get the spots off. Is the water different at Powell? I don't think so. I've tried a few spot removal solutions (some recommended from RDP) and none of them really worked any better. Finally went back to Hot Sauce, it's crap too. Seems like boat has to be in the shade at just the right temp with the exact amount of 3/4 gallon on your one rag before you wipe, in order to get the spots off. I'm done. I'm going back old school, it always worked in the past. Carnuba Wax a couple times a year, water and vinegar at ramp to remove spots. Each spring do a light polish coat prior to carnuba paste. And if it doesn't look "wet" enough after that wax, put on one more coat, WTH. My bet is I'll save a crap ton of money and probably not cost myself any time.

Rant over!

Well, almost. "Sauce"? Really? No points for originality on that one. How about juice or shine or gloss or drool! I don't know, something other than what the "other guy" already has done.

Sorry, maybe I'm having a bad day........... just done with all this, "buy this and it will be easy" crap.
Usually you have to take the car back every year for a maintenance re-coating to claim the warranty. Not sure how that works, but I’m guessing you would have to do the same with a boat. How did you wash the boat? Soap type matters. Wash procedures matter. Etc.

It’s a huge pain in the dick to keep it maintained. If you’re willing to put in the time, It’s way better than wax IMO, but if not, it’s a massive waste of money.

Ex. I have my SUV waxed but my wife’s car has been coated for almost a year now. Her car is way easier to wash, get sap off, bird shit etc...and my SUV was waxed about 2 months ago. Same wash procedures every week/ every other week max. 3 bucket method, multiple mitts, foam cannon, etc. I’d have mine coated too, but it’s expensive, and I’d ruin the coating eventually when I go offroad.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Chris has done both of my boats and I couldn't be happier. Smooth as a babies butt. The new sauce is legit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
One thing nobody has brought up is the long term looks of ceramic coatings. On cars they start to tinge from surface contaminates slowly working into the coating. Mike Phillips (the undisputed king of the detail world and force behind several companies like Meguirs etc) did a write up about it. Several cars started to get a brown haze that could not simply be cleaned off because it was interlocked with the ceramic. SiO2 or whatever it's called isn't new so I would need to hear what makes this so special because I can have a "proprietary" coating by next week with my name on it. If they truly created something new and badass I'm all ears and my wallet it open lol

And I agree the name sucks sauce makes me think of something other than a ceramic but it to each their own.

I'm going to name mine boat butter lol

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Actually it’s a ceramic coat with our warranty on it. We are like Nordstrom’s, if you aren’t happy with your coating and have done the simple steps of maintenance; washing your boat. We will redo it. For 4 years !!!

Awesome!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
My boat is in great condition, but i really want to do the ceramic just because all the sparkle in the gel, think it’d look amazing.

Duramax

Reaction score
Actually it’s a ceramic coat with our warranty on it. We are like Nordstrom’s, if you aren’t happy with your coating and have done the simple steps of maintenance; washing your boat. We will redo it. For 4 years !!!
Warranty for what? What exactly falls under that warranty? Also, what does a ceramic coating claim to do in the first place? Make it easier to wash? I would love to put a product on the top of my transom and my black engine cowls that would help with spotting after the day is done, I just don't believe it. I have used many products, but just like @J DUNN said, it's the same old story. The old Hot Sauce and hand wax EVERY trip out is it.
I will say that I have never taken it to a "professional" to have it done either.

gqchris

Reaction score
I agree with you guys, I went for the "Ceramic Coating" on my 2018 motorhome last year because the F&I guy dropped my rate quite a few points on the loan, so I entertained him. I even read reviews online for the company that produced the coating. Good reviews at that. (Probably all paid reviews in hingsight)

So a tweaker detailer shows up and applies it a week later. Same thing I see most people do, he applys with cloth.

Whatever, Im not a believer. RV is starting to get faded now, and I stay on top of it like I do all my stuff. I don't see a damn difference. Never did. Seems to be snake oil these days to be honest.

Duramax

Reaction score
I agree with you guys, I went for the "Ceramic Coating" on my 2018 motorhome last year because the F&I guy dropped my rate quite a few points on the loan, so I entertained him. I even read reviews online for the company that produced the coating. Good reviews at that. (Probably all paid reviews in hingsight)

So a tweaker detailer shows up and applies it a week later. Same thing I see most people do, he applys with cloth.

Whatever, Im not a believer. RV is starting to get faded now, and I stay on top of it like I do all my stuff. I don't see a damn difference. Never did. Seems to be snake oil these days to be honest.
There is no product that you can wipe on and give you protection for years....hell, for 2 weeks!!! It's bullshit, every single one.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Usually you have to take the car back every year for a maintenance re-coating to claim the warranty. Not sure how that works, but I’m guessing you would have to do the same with a boat. How did you wash the boat? Soap type matters. Wash procedures matter. Etc.

It’s a huge pain in the dick to keep it maintained. If you’re willing to put in the time, It’s way better than wax IMO, but if not, it’s a massive waste of money.

You know what else works amazingly well if you keep it maintained and re-apply once or twice a year? regular ass carnuba wax 😂 😂 😂 😂

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
You know what else works amazingly well if you keep it maintained and re-apply once or twice a year? regular ass carnuba wax 😂 😂 😂 😂

EXACTLY! "Well warranty is good for 4 years, IF you keep up regular maintenance! Oh, and come back once a year for a refresh bend over." Well wait, that's the same thing I was doing with regular carnuba, IN MY GARAGE!!!!!

I had a guy quote doing my new ATC Car hauler. Started at $4k and finally got down below $2k. WTH? Snake oil........

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get some Gloss Sauce?

Groper

Reaction score
I'll wax my Boat or Bote' (Jet Bote' guys) once a year in FEB or March then for the rest of the year it's just a wipe down.

Here's your homemade "HOT Sauce" mix 50/50 with vinegar and be happy :)

I leave the HOT at the ramp and get Sauced in my A/C'd RV garage when applying ;)

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
I had my Motorhome done in Lubbock (because that's way closer than Havasu) by a guy that is SO obviously Intense about detailing - like Detail Specialties, and it's Amazing! It's a '15, always indoor unless we're camping in it. Washed every time it left, and every time it came back, then waxed. I have a lot of black in my color scheme so "wash mar" or the fine little lines you won't notice as much on a boat unless you have a flat bow or really flat sides, I could never clean it without leaving them. Then I'd polish them back out, and start all over next trip.
Distinguished Details had it for 4 days. The correction polish is the ticket. I had a 10 yr Modesa coating done. When I picked it up, it was 2 days before our next trip, it looked stunning! I never realized how much flake was in my black! Because of the timeline in which we were leaving I had to pick it up in less than perfect weather and ended up hitting rain on the oilfield highways for 2 of the 3 hours home. I got home and looked at it and was Devastated! I called Quinn, he said "no biggie, hit it with the pressure washer, and wipe it down with the spray I gave you, switch micro fibers every 20', you'll be fine" I hit it with the pressure washer and couldn't believe how clean it came. That kind of grime used to stick like glue. Misted and wiped with the Shine Supply Eco shine and it was as good as before! The whole process took less than an hour which is 2-3 times faster than it would have before. This last trip, we ended up on a highway they were repaving in the middle of no where on the way to Fredericksburg, and drove 10 miles on caliche road. I got to the campground, hooked up my air hose and blew the dust off the whole thing- back to bling! A family next to us with a brand new coach asked how I kept it so nice, it looked better than his 5 year newer rig- his words. I have never had anything or and detail work I have done, or have had done perform like this.
I'm not sure who all caught the end of the video, but "sauce is bottomless for the life of your warrantee" Genius right there! The correct detail spray for a ceramic coating is crucial, so offering product for the life of the warrantee to ensure proper product is used is a win-win! DS's work is what pushed me over the edge to find someone GOOD to do my coach. had I not found the guy in Lubbock, I would have taken it to Havasu no doubt.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score

Rant over!

Do your self a favor and get some 'Driven' Quick Spray Concentrate . Mix it in a clean spray bottle with distilled water according to the directions on the bottle.
I have used this product for 12 years even in the sun with great results. It will not strip polish or wax and it will not eat up silicone like VINEGAR will do.

I have no affiliation with the Driven company other than I buy it and it flat ass works for me and I will continue to use it on my Root Beer Brown metal flake gel coat Hallett Mini Cruiser.
Cheers. :)

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
Warranty for what? What exactly falls under that warranty? Also, what does a ceramic coating claim to do in the first place? Make it easier to wash? I would love to put a product on the top of my transom and my black engine cowls that would help with spotting after the day is done, I just don't believe it. I have used many products, but just like @J DUNN said, it's the same old story. The old Hot Sauce and hand wax EVERY trip out is it.
I will say that I have never taken it to a "professional" to have it done either.
The warranty covers the shine and the ability to easily wash your boat, truck, SxS, or RV. Even BLACK.

Socalx09

Reaction score
My dad’s boat is not in the greatest gel coat condition. At all. He ran the crap out of his boat for 30+ years and didn’t take great care of it. He did get it waxed once a year and reapplied a spray wax throughout the season. The black was starting to fade badly. It had been color sanded once before, but it went back to looking bad. Everyone hated washing the boat, the water spots were terrible even after trying to clean it at the ramp. After talking to @steak&lobster and having Detail specialties work on it and applied the ceramic coating about a year and half ago, it still looks as good as it can look.

If it’s too hot, sometimes we don’t even wipe down at the ramp. We just drive it to the house and wipe it down in the ac with a wet towel. We wash it after it’s been in a slip for a weekend, but everything comes off easier. It takes me 10 or so minutes to wipe down the whole boat with just a wet towel. The hardest area I will say is the back swim platform area. But, that gets splashed the most and it’s solid black.

I think it’s easy to make a nice boat shine that’s in good condition with any type of wax or coating. But, the coating has made my dads boat easier to deal with and shine as much as it could.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I'll wax my Boat or Bote' (Jet Bote' guys) once a year in FEB or March then for the rest of the year it's just a wipe down.

Here's your homemade "HOT Sauce" mix 50/50 with vinegar and be happy :)

I leave the HOT at the ramp and get Sauced in my A/C'd RV garage when applying ;)
that blue jug has been my go to since the 'secret sauce' was created in my neighbors garage a decade ago

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
My dad’s boat is not in the greatest gel coat condition. At all. He ran the crap out of his boat for 30+ years and didn’t take great care of it. He did get it waxed once a year and reapplied a spray wax throughout the season. The black was starting to fade badly. It had been color sanded once before, but it went back to looking bad. Everyone hated washing the boat, the water spots were terrible even after trying to clean it at the ramp. After talking to @steak&lobster and having Detail specialties work on it and applied the ceramic coating about a year and half ago, it still looks as good as it can look.

If it’s too hot, sometimes we don’t even wipe down at the ramp. We just drive it to the house and wipe it down in the ac with a wet towel. We wash it after it’s been in a slip for a weekend, but everything comes off easier. It takes me 10 or so minutes to wipe down the whole boat with just a wet towel. The hardest area I will say is the back swim platform area. But, that gets splashed the most and it’s solid black.

I think it’s easy to make a nice boat shine that’s in good condition with any type of wax or coating. But, the coating has made my dads boat easier to deal with and shine as much as it could.
Come by the shop anytime and we will give you some of our detail spray for free

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
EXACTLY! "Well warranty is good for 4 years, IF you keep up regular maintenance! Oh, and come back once a year for a refresh bend over." Well wait, that's the same thing I was doing with regular carnuba, IN MY GARAGE!!!!!

I had a guy quote doing my new ATC Car hauler. Started at $4k and finally got down below $2k. WTH? Snake oil........
We warranty our “snake oil” LoL

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Is there some sort of pump or gun that I need to buy to shoot out the Gloss Sauce?

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Like I said, I have a car with ceramic that was applied approximately 1 year ago and an SUV that was detailed with wax 2 months ago. Both maintained exactly the same way, which is over the top OCD. "1 bucket for wheels, 1 bucket for soap, 1 bucket for rinse, foam cannon, never washed in direct sunlight, and a minimum of 5 mitts so the mitt never goes back on the car after it's touched it." The ceramic coat is significantly easier to clean. Water sheets better, sap and bird crap come off easier, etc.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
We warranty our “snake oil” LoL

I would expect nothing less.

You're getting closer on the name too. You haven't printed labels yet have you? Maybe you've got something "Gloss Snake Oil"............ A little reptilian but you are advertising on a Cobra, a new one at that, new boats are tough to make shine.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
To the negative nancy's: you get what you pay for. Chris runs a good shop, takes care of his clients and his workers. He has built a brand and a solid reputation over the years. I drove my wife's X5 out here this run instead of our truck for the sole reason of having his shop do the ceramic coat on it..we live near Austin, TX. There are a ton of good and bad products out there, and in the end whatever you buy is only as good as the person doing the work much like anything else. Pics are from today, we just picked it up less than an hour ago. Car looks better than the day we bought it (JULY 25th). My wife is happy, and I'm happy with what I paid for it to be done/finished product..thats what matters. Chris can call it whatever he wants, hell hater juice sounds good about now? 😆
IMG_9292.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9289.jpg
    IMG_9289.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 83

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Ceramic coating is not for everyone - case in point this thread. No one is putting a gun to your head to have this applied to your truck and boat lol.

2005 DMAX river truck black has been outside for part of its life parked near ocean. Retired in Havasu, lifted, would say kind of a pain to wash and wax with a ladder. Had Detail Specialties CC it - came out awesome. I wash it with DI water, and it has held up for over two years. Very straight forward. No stress - it has been worth every penny. IGL product

G23 Nautique Wake Boat - everyone’s crowd favorite. It was primarily black. Wash and wipe down everytime on water. I had it professional detailed a couple of times usually beginning and mid season / wax. Still very difficult to keep water spots after baking on black all day. Detail Specialties. Post CC boat was way easier to clean. Wipe down micro fiber. Use less product. Boat was quicker to detail. Sure wax can achieve the same thing but the price of one CC when you use the boat regularly would require multiple wax or professional details to keep on par. IGL Product

Doug Wright - all white / black motors - I have to say this one was the hardest and Chris called it right at the onset. The plastic merc cowlings are a magnet. Bake on water spots, heat / cool - will burn off any wax immediately. Right away it was awesome but you could see it wear down over time. Ceramic coat on a painted boat hull. Unreal - I have LED lights in my garage that show every spot. IGL product

Tesla - wife’s car - before covid she would barely stop driving long enough to get it detailed. Had a local shop in Santa Ana Ceramic Coat it 2 years ago. Car cleans super easy. I use DI water. My detailer I use at work charges $10 less each wash since it is coated. IGL product

I guess if you enjoy waxing your vehicle or boat regularly then it does not make sense to have this done. If you pay someone to regularly wash / wax your vehicles - save the $.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score

Rant over!

Try this product from Shine Supply.

I also really like their vinyl cleaner/conditioner. Its not greasy and doesn’t yellow like some of the others