WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Devil wind

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Thanks Edison ! Wind was super bad here in Alta Loma so they shut down the power 😡

4Waters

Reaction score
Edison shut our power off in January for 2 days because of the winds. I called and complained, they said they don't want any wires coming down and starting a brush fire.

I live at the pin drop.
Screenshot_20201126-203425_Maps.jpg

I said "First there is no brush anywhere around us and second our utilities are under ground." They said they would send someone out to inspect and see of they made a mistake. Today is the 3rd wind event this season that they have shut off power for and ours hasn't been turned off, so I guess they realized they messed up.

The bad thing is in January they left the power on for the area where the pin is and some of that is overhead, morons.

Screenshot_20201126-204253_Maps.jpg

Last edited:

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
What happens when we only are allowed to buy electric cars in CA, about 2 million per year, and the states electric infrastructure shuts down weekly?

We can't even get good internet last mile now, due to covid, how will a million new chargers a year work when Santa Ana's or fires hit?

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
What happens when we only are allowed to buy electric cars in CA, about 2 million per year, and the states electric infrastructure shuts down weekly?

We can't even get good internet last mile now, due to covid, how will a million new chargers a year work when Santa Ana's or fires hit?

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Thought it interesting when reading about the new Lucid EV, the mention of how the car's stored energy can be used in reverse, to provide battery backup power to your house during outages. Thought it was an interesting marketing approach.

4Waters

Reaction score
Lake Forest it was only a couple of big gusts but I was standing next to the pool getting wet...
I swear I lose just as much water out of my pool this time of year due to the air being so dry and sucking moisture out of my pool and the wind doing what it was to your pool yesterday as I do during the summer.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
Thought it interesting when reading about the new Lucid EV, the mention of how the car's stored energy can be used in reverse, to provide battery backup power to your house during outages. Thought it was an interesting marketing approach.
Exactly the problem. If we think the grid is old, unsafe, and beyond capacity (constant blackouts and brownouts called by the CA utility companies would seem to say that statement is correct) will crash everyday when 10 million EV are put on the grid, especially at the same time to charge.

a generator is much more versatile and uses the gas out of the car but doesn’t depend on the grid.

Taboma

Reaction score
Exactly the problem. If we think the grid is old, unsafe, and beyond capacity (constant blackouts and brownouts called by the CA utility companies would seem to say that statement is correct) will crash everyday when 10 million EV are put on the grid, especially at the same time to charge.

a generator is much more versatile and uses the gas out of the car but doesn’t depend on the grid.

I agree 100%, I was only commenting on what I thought was rather creative marketing, where the car's immense storage capacity can be utilized in reverse should it be necessary. If these rather lofty EV goals are to be achieved, then it's obvious, the supply must be made available.
I'm far more concerned about meeting our water needs.
I haven't experienced a brown out or any power loss that wasn't planned in order to provide system upgrades in many many years and I'm rural. This includes high wind events. So much so, it's extremely difficult investing in backup power, despite having spent a career in electrical contracting. So I get by once a year for a half day or less, with my trusty Honda Gen. Otherwise we enjoy our rooftop solar and have not paid a monthly bill in over 10 years.

rrrr

Reaction score

It's funny how this truth is completely ignored by the proponents of EVs.

There are roughly 15 millions registered vehicles in California. Let's suppose that at some time in the future, say 2035, 30% of those vehicles are plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs). That's 4.5 million car and trucks.

A 240 volt 40 amp charging circuit is commonly installed for vehicles with a 7.2 kW charger. That size charger will probably become more widely used in years to come, and universally provided by manufacturers at some date. The charger, obviously, consumes 7.2 kW at peak. As it takes several hours for the vehicle's battery to recharge, the current tapers off and the consumption drops accordingly.

Every hour the vehicle is charging, the amount of power it consumes becomes a kilowatt hour. Almost all charging of PEVs will be done overnight. The following figures were obtained from internet sources, and at least two were found to verify their accuracy.

This means that if those 4.5 million EVs are connected are to California's electrical grid for overnight charging, at peak charging current they will be consuming 34.2 gigawatts. The hourly consumption will thus be 34.2 gigawatt hours. This won't be continuous because the charge current tapers off, but the peak usage will be somewhere close to the above.

Right now California's electrical generation capacity is about 80 gigawatts. Out of state suppliers provide another 12 gigawatts, for a total capacity of 92 gigawatts. In August 2020, consumption of electricity on the grid reached 47 gigawatts, which forced the system operater to introduce rolling blackouts across the state.

It's more than obvious that the forced introduction of PEVs will impose a severe strain on the state's electrical generation and transmission capabilities. An increase of less than a quarter of the 32.4 gigawatts that will occur in the above-mentioned scenario will mean more and longer blackouts. It's inevitable, and will occur much sooner than 2035 because of the forced switch to PEVs mandated by the government.

There aren't enough ridges or flat open spaces to install a meaningful amount of "renewable energy". Arizona and Utah aren't going to cover their pristine deserts with energy farms to power California's needs. Well, I fucking hope not. That would be criminal. The only solution is nuclear power, and the Prius driving finger pointing liberals will never allow that.

So what is the state going to do? Will the leftist regime finally fall because they won't abandon their ridiculous plans for mandated electric vehicles and a demand that a required percentage of the state's electric power come from "green" sources?

One can only hope.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Edison shut our power off in January for 2 days because of the winds. I called and complained, they said they don't want any wires coming down and starting a brush fire.

I live at the pin drop.
View attachment 946403

I said "First there is no brush anywhere around us and second our utilities are under ground." They said they would send someone out to inspect and see of they made a mistake. Today is the 3rd wind event this season that they have shut off power for and ours hasn't been turned off, so I guess they realized they messed up.

The bad thing is in January they left the power on for the area where the pin is and some of that is overhead, morons.

View attachment 946408
It's not the distribution power lines around town that Edison is concerned with it's the transmission lines. Several feeds coming into Simi Valley and shutting off the feeds that are vulnerable to starting fires reduced potential power supply - so the blackouts.
Edison tried to build clean burning, compact power plants closer to users but the liberals in Sac have been blocking that move.

You can get text alerts and if your area is slated for blackout here:

nLqUMpS.jpg

We're on Corto st south of Royal and weren't affected at first, then it dinged in we were potentially, then imminent so I started the generator and we ran it for about 14 hours until Edison dinged in the all clear.
Probably cheaper to run the generator anyway. Ran the whole house with ease. Did a load of wash/dry too.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score

There are roughly 15 millions registered vehicles in California. Let's suppose that at some time in the future, say 2035, 30% of those vehicles are plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs). That's 4.5 million car and trucks.

A 240 volt 40 amp charging circuit is commonly installed for vehicles with a 7.2 kW charger. That size charger will probably become more widely used in years to come, and universally provided by manufacturers at some date. The charger, obviously, consumes 7.2 kW at peak. As it takes several hours for the vehicle's battery to recharge, the current tapers off and the consumption drops accordingly.

Every hour the vehicle is charging, the amount of power it consumes becomes a kilowatt hour. Almost all charging of PEVs will be done overnight. The following figures were obtained from internet sources, and at least two were found to verify their accuracy.

This means that if those 4.5 million EVs are connected are to California's electrical grid for overnight charging, at peak charging current they will be consuming 34.2 gigawatts. The hourly consumption will thus be 34.2 gigawatt hours. This won't be continuous because the charge current tapers off, but the peak usage will be somewhere close to the above.

Right now California's electrical generation capacity is about 80 gigawatts. Out of state suppliers provide another 12 gigawatts, for a total capacity of 92 gigawatts. In August 2020, consumption of electricity on the grid reached 47 gigawatts, which forced the system operater to introduce rolling blackouts across the state.

It's more than obvious that the forced introduction of PEVs will impose a severe strain on the state's electrical generation and transmission capabilities. An increase of less than a quarter of the 32.4 gigawatts that will occur in the above-mentioned scenario will mean more and longer blackouts. It's inevitable, and will occur much sooner than 2035 because of the forced switch to PEVs mandated by the government.

There aren't enough ridges or flat open spaces to install a meaningful amount of "renewable energy". Arizona and Utah aren't going to cover their pristine deserts with energy farms to power California's needs. Well, I fucking hope not. That would be criminal. The only solution is nuclear power, and the Prius driving finger pointing liberals will never allow that.

So what is the state going to do? Will the leftist regime finally fall because they won't abandon their ridiculous plans for mandated electric vehicles and a demand that a required percentage of the state's electric power come from "green" sources?

One can only hope.
Xactly. BTW, California buys 2 million new cars a year, so 5 years into Newsom’s electric only will likely be 7 to 8 million cars or double the example, and will basically cripple the grid, or more likely usage will BE DICTATEd by the govt. CA is already doing the same thing with ammo. It’s not the hardware that needs to be limited, it’s the consumables that can be restricted to make the hardware useless.

Performance Grips

Reaction score

One can only hope.

One can only hope.
This whole electric car thing will not happen. The Libs are not the party of ANY COMMON SENSE. They are all in for the Paris energy deal. The problem is 1) Paris population is 65 million. 2) Paris has two nuclear power plants for said 65 million people Libs hate nuclear 3) Paris does not have any natural resources. Why does the greatest and most powerful country ever to exist have to follow a bunch of inferior countries? Especially France? BTW we have the some of the cleanest air quality in history. This is why its bad for liberals to be in power. They make emotional decisions and have zero common sense.

Taboma

Reaction score
Xactly. BTW, California buys 2 million new cars a year, so 5 years into Newsom’s electric only will likely be 7 to 8 million cars or double the example, and will basically cripple the grid, or more likely usage will BE DICTATEd by the govt. CA is already doing the same thing with ammo. It’s not the hardware that needs to be limited, it’s the consumables that can be restricted to make the hardware useless.

Society is changing as a whole, take this year as one example. This people working from home concept is being widely accepted as the possible new norm. We haven't put but maybe 10K miles on the clock total with three vehicles, let alone one like in the past.
Left wants us all living crammed nut-to-butt in big urban environments, so with consideration of 2020 as a glaring example, I find it increasingly difficult to imagine what society will look like by 2035 and what our daily transportation needs will be.

Hell, fusion power may be a reality in another 15 years, most all homes will be producing their own power and extensive battery storage will be far more available and probably heavily subsidized, as was solar initially.
One thing for sure, the more the dollars move away from oil, so will the big money investors and amazing things happen when the bucks get spent.

I'm reminded of all the " Never can happen " attitudes of the 80's and I was a huge naysayer, due to my love of ICE and big horsepower, as the powers to be kept mandating more and more power killing smog requirements. God those cars became instant overnight dogs, seems like almost overnight and horsepower numbers were dropping by 100 to 200 hp and suddenly a Corvette with 240 hp was a big deal.

We all moaned in unison with the impending death of the hot rod ICE engines ---- and now anybody can run out and purchase 600-700 HP street machines for well under $ 100K. We've also got EV cars that in their relative infancy can run 10 second and better 1/4 mile romps, then drive home, no trailer required (Although perhaps a nice 240 generator).

I suppose it fills me with mixed feelings, mourning of watching the ICE hot rods becoming dinosaurs and facing an uncertain future that makes me so happy to have lived during the period I've been blessed with, yet sad I most likely will miss out being amazed by mankind's future accomplishments.

I'm only fairly assured of one thing, highly unlikely I'll be around to see it or be forced to adapt to it. Not my Problem, barely my children's either, more my grandkid's, but they're different, they're techies at an early age now, will adapt far more easily than would I.

Try not to waste to many of your years immersed in the dark waters and negativity of Doom and Gloom, because once you can start tracking how many years you probably have left on one hand --- life gets really fucking real and what's even more scary, is how fast your clock is spinning by then.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I'm excited for fusion. The power capabilities are incredible. We will finally be able to explore space for real. Combine that with potential wireless charging capabilities and the ice will be dead. Cars will be lighter and faster. Tomorrow looks awesome but is this future 14 years away or 50?

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm excited for fusion. The power capabilities are incredible. We will finally be able to explore space for real. Combine that with potential wireless charging capabilities and the ice will be dead. Cars will be lighter and faster. Tomorrow looks awesome but is this future 14 years away or 50?

14 or 50 ? Dunno for sure, but I find it fascinating how many wild futuristic ideas I read about as a child in my dad's Popular Science, are common place in today's world.
The job I retired at as an electrical contractor was an amazing three year project wiring an experimental research fusion reactor . That's like retiring after winning the World's Series. That was 10 years ago and they've continued to made it larger and better.