WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dewalt Low RPM Chop Saw

Rye

Reaction score
I just got this and really like it. I would have never thought a blade that looks like a wood cutting blade would work so well on metal.
BB3662B7-B578-4EAD-9C77-297EC56FE8E0.png

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Are you cutting tubing or stock, and what sizes? I've been curious about these since I saw these at the welding supply. Not exactly cheap to "experiment" with. I assume the dust mess is better, and limited sparks?

Rye

Reaction score
Are you cutting tubing or stock, and what sizes? I've been curious about these since I saw these at the welding supply. Not exactly cheap to "experiment" with. I assume the dust mess is better, and limited sparks?
3/4” solid round stock today, I was cutting the mushroomed heads off a bunch of concrete stakes. Less sparks but a lot of little metal chips. You can’t force it or the teeth will grab, however it still cuts quite a bit faster than my old Dewalt chop saw with fiber blades.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I had one and loved It a Few years back. I used it on the 5200 lbs of rebar under out house in the concrete. Just watch the load on the blade. I had an employee abuse it and killed the blade. Replacement blades at the time were $$$$ in the islands. So I ended up going back to the abrasive blades at a fraction of the price. They could deal with the sparks and cleaning up the mess.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I prefer abrasive wheel. If I need to cut something thicker I’ll use a band saw. I don’t like how loud the are and I don’t like chunks of metal flying at me while I’m cutting. Same thing with a skill saw with a metal blade. Loud I can also buy a box of abrasive wheels for the price of one toothed blade.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
They only thing i don’t like abrasive wheels for would be fry metal or lath trims.

racektm

Reaction score
They work great, especially on all thread, no need to dress up the threads, perfect cut every time. Abrasive wheels may be cheaper, but they're sacrificial, they need to be changed often, that's time and money, also, they leave burrs that need to be ground down.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I’ve been researching these for a couple months since I fried my little portaband.

Milwaukee no longer makes theirs, and my coworkers have experience with both and loved them both.

After trying to cut 2x3 tubing for my trailer with the fiber disc and having crooked cuts while wearing out blades, I’ll be buying some version of the toothed blade. I’ll put up with wearing a full shield and enjoy my straight cuts when finished.

boatpi

Reaction score
We use this saw in our facilities to cut aluminum, works well. This saw is designed for nonferrous metal. BTW, Lowe's sells it for $499 with the blade.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
We use this saw in our facilities to cut aluminum, works well. This saw is designed for nonferrous metal.

No it’s not, it’s specifically designed to cut ferrous metals. That’s why they lowered the RPM. For aluminum, just use a regular wood cutting chop saw (and table saw).

boatpi

Reaction score
Well I am no saw expert, one of our distributors suggested it, and it works perfect. The thin blade is cuts smooth.

Rye

Reaction score
We use this saw in our facilities to cut aluminum, works well. This saw is designed for nonferrous metal. BTW, Lowe's sells it for $499 with the blade.
Didn’t know Lowe’s sold them, I would have saved additional 5% with MyLowes.
In case anyone is wondering it comes with a carbide tipped blade for $517.99, the more expensive version comes with a diamond blade.

boatpi

Reaction score
FEATURES

• Multi-Cutter Saw offers versatility by cutting a wide variety of materials including ferrous and non-ferrous metals
  • Utilizing a carbide-tipped blade allows the depth-of-cut to remain constant throughout blade life
  • Cuts 4-times faster than chop saws and 8-times faster than portable band saws in 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle iron
  • 14", 66-tooth, carbide-tipped blade delivers a lower cost-per-cut compared to cutting with abrasive wheels
  • Specially designed carbide teeth deliver fast, precise, and virtually burr-free cuts reducing the need for preparation grinding and finished cuts that are cool to the touch
  • Largest capacity in its class with even more capacity than a deep-cut portable band saw (5-3/16" round & 4-1/2" x 6-1/2" rectangular) allowing user to cut a wider variety of different size materials for more applications
  • Ergonomically designed horizontal handle puts user's wrist in a more comfortable position to help reduce user fatigue and increase productivity
  • 15 amp / 4 HP motor provides more overload capacity to increase performance and durability
  • Patented, 45-degree, adjustable Quick-Fence™ allows for fast and accurate angle cuts without using a wrench
  • Quick-lock vise allows for fast clamping on different size materials to increase productivity

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Didn’t know Lowe’s sold them, I would have saved additional 5% with MyLowes.
In case anyone is wondering it comes with a carbide tipped blade for $517.99, the more expensive version comes with a diamond blade.

Diamond is a bonded abrasive used for aluminum...I suppose they could be using diamond tipped carbide teeth, but based on the cost of a single diamond tipped machining insert...I don’t really see that in DeWalts wheelhouse...the blade would would be thousands of dollars. CBN would be the equivalent for steel/ferrous. Carbide will do the job just fine and at an economical price if correct feeds/speeds are observed.

Reactions: Rye

dribble

Reaction score
I’ve had this one for years. I think I paid around $200.00 for it.
D655201E-B5D1-48C5-83A9-2431E15A79D4.png