WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Did I Blow A Seal?

Mikes56

Reaction score
On the way home from Havasu yesterday, it was 108* and at the Barstow fuel stop I noticed grease slung all over one of the boat trailer wheels. The other five trailer wheels were fine.

Did I blow a seal in the bearing buddy? Did grease come out because of the extreme heat? Any know how to fix it?

fishing fool

Reaction score
Yes you did..

Remove wheel, remove buddy bearing, remove cotter pin, remove nut, pull hub, take out old seal, clean old grease and repack bearings reinstall.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
i believe hes talking about the outside of the wheel, bearing buddies will bleed off excess pressure, likely it was over full, biult pressure and there ya have it....a mess but not a failure. as stated, check the inside of the wheel for grease. should little or none, if grease is present then you also have a inside seal problem.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
20564FC0-7517-4E42-8A44-8F7BE92E31E9.jpeg

Mikes56

Reaction score
i believe hes talking about the outside of the wheel, bearing buddies will bleed off excess pressure, likely it was over full, biult pressure and there ya have it....a mess but not a failure. as stated, check the inside of the wheel for grease. should little or none, if grease is present then you also have a inside seal problem.
The only grease was on the outside of the wheel, the inside is dry. The piston on the bearing buddy is pushed out towards the outside of the wheel and there is a blob of grease coming from around the piston.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
It would be a great idea to service the other 5 hubs while you're at it, I would imagine the other 5 seals are could be ready to go also.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
The only grease was on the outside of the wheel, the inside is dry. The piston on the bearing buddy is pushed out towards the outside of the wheel and there is a blob of grease coming from around the piston.
I would say it was over filled and in the heat expelled it's pressure. I would just wipe the grease off and carry on to Victorville and check it again.

gqchris

Reaction score
This happened to be last month, but my Backing Brake Plate locked up and caused extreme heat and starting boiling my grease, causing to to spit out. So I had a bad smell accompanied with 295 degrees on my laser thermometer. 1000$ later, all fixed! LOL

Spudsbud

Reaction score
asks the hungover eskimo, morning after a hard nite !

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
If it’s outside only, most likely over pressure due to heat. I usually get a bit if gunk on the first trip out after a refill on the bearing buddy.

DaveH

Reaction score
what this means is its most likely time to service your wheel bearings.

how long since they have last been apart?

servicing them now is cheap compared to letting it go and smoking one or more.

2Driver

Reaction score
Its easy enough just to pop off the bearing buddy and see whats going on.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Is it on a wheel with a braking hub? If so it would be worth checking out your brakes too, a lot of times when I see this the brake on that wheel is dragging and cooking the grease.