WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

did my first couple batches of beef jerky!

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
first batch...basic spice rub. did it in the oven and the oven only went down to 170. got too crumbly, so put it in the processor and made a powder, then did my own fat rendering with a blend of virgin coconut oil and more spices. put it in a seaweed roll and chilled it. then sliced it in the meat slicer....pretty nice pemmican emergency food.

next batch in the dehydrator. used a grass fed flat iron steak cut....cut real thin. made a sweet and hot marinade using coconut aminos and wasabi (and salt). this jerky cured in 4 hours and was fan-fucking-tastic! best jerky I ever had. and it was so easy!

next batch will be with ground beef....same marinade. I've got a gun, but I think I'm going to shape the ground and firm it up in the freezer and cut it with the meat slicer....I like the thinner cuts....thinking about doing round slices.

tapa-typed from my mobile gadget

DragDad

Reaction score
Sounds complicated. I use my Traeger smoker... 3-4 hours... done deal. Best ever. I have done jerky in the oven, but you really have to watch it close. I have never used a dehydrator, only because the Traeger makes it so good, I have no need.

BACK2BIGRIVER

Reaction score
Sounds complicated. I use my Traeger smoker... 3-4 hours... done deal. Best ever. I have done jerky in the oven, but you really have to watch it close. I have never used a dehydrator, only because the Traeger makes it so good, I have no need.

Never done jerky on the traeger details please. :cool

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
Jerky on the Traegar is rediculous... I use london broil sliced on a deli slicer thick, 1/4 inch, marinade sliced for 24 hours minimum. Usually do 2 batches spicy and sweet. 4 hours on the Traegar, straight into a zip lock off the grill. Mine usually comes out a little wet, which I prefer. It will not keep long because it is a little wet but it is unbelievable.

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
here is my first batch of ground beef jerky. came out pretty good. used the grass fed beef I just got in bulk. flavor & spices came out lighter than anticipated. this was a pound of ground to start.

used the food processor and then rolled the beef into a tube in parchment paper and stuck it in the freezer to firm up, then sliced it up into disks.

tapa-typed from my mobile gadget

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362972895641.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362972895641.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 87