WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Did you ever almost kill yourself?

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
The beer in high school thread reminded me of when I was almost 15. My parents used to go to my Aunts/uncles house every Saturday to play cards. I grabbed a bottle of Canadian Club from the cellar with my friend (who didn't have any) and drank almost the whole thing.....didn't realize how powerful it was. Next morning woke up in parents bed covered in puke... they had to call poison control and they said to keep my head up. Also got caught smoking that night....took my dads Parliaments and they were scattered all over the porch I guess from me trying to light one. Dumbass kid.:D 1977. If you said Canadian Club for about 4 years after, I always had a gag feeling.

16 years old almost drowned at Rand's Pond in New Hampshire trying to keep up with my friends older cousins. Friends dad had to come save me.:p

HCP3

Reaction score
The beer in high school thread reminded me of when I was almost 15. My parents used to go to my Aunts/uncles house every Saturday to play cards. I grabbed a bottle of Canadian Club from the cellar with my friend (who didn't have any) and drank almost the whole thing.....didn't realize how powerful it was. Next morning woke up in parents bed covered in puke... they had to call poison control and they said to keep my head up. Also got caught smoking that night....took my dads Parliaments and they were scattered all over the porch I guess from me trying to light one. Dumbass kid.:D 1977. If you said Canadian Club for about 4 years after, I always had a gag feeling.

16 years old almost drowned at Rand's Pond in New Hampshire trying to keep up with my friends older cousins. Friends dad had to come save me.:p

That's a relatable story. Let's just say I learned a whole lot through life experiences. Can't teach that shit. Young and dumb. Was a know it all... Better man now. At least that's what I tell myself.

Baja 252

Reaction score
I was 4 years old walking on a dock in cowboy boots. My older sister, who was supposed to be "watching me" yells at me to get off the dock. Naturally I turn to look at her and walk right off the end of the dock. Boots fill with water and I go straight down to the bottom (10' deep). Lucky for me a guy see it, runs out, dives in and saves me.

DWC

Reaction score
Made some poor decisions in cars a few times that probably was the closest to not being around. Pulled in front of a bad ass Charger in my 77’ Rabbit. Got t-boned on the driver side not sure how i made it out.
Scariest was jumping off a mini cornice in Mammoth. 10 drunk guys in a condo. We could see the lip from the balcony. One guy drove me close. They cheered the jump and went back to drinking. Ended up in a creek and waist/chest high snow in the dark. No one came looking. They seemed surprised when i got back. Maybe a little happy. Hard to tell.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
When I was six years old, I was watching one of those discovery shows where they were showing mountain climbers so I was all into it. I went and grabbed a rope and tied it around my waist and tied the other side on a pull-up bar hanging between the doorway and proceeded to climb up the doorway.

I got up and slipped and the rope also slipped off my waist and tied around my neck. I was hanging by my neck for what seemed like an eternity until my sister saw me and came screaming and lifted me up and saved my life.

She took the rope off and I was bleeding around my neck. I had a bruised and scabbed ring around my neck for a couple of months.

That was the time I almost killed myself. [emoji3]

cofooter

Reaction score
When I was six years old, I was watching one of those discovery shows where they were showing mountain climbers so I was all into it. I went and grabbed a rope and tied it around my waist and tied the other side on a pull-up bar hanging between the doorway and proceeded to climb up the doorway.

I got up and slipped and the rope also slipped off my waist and tied around my neck. I was hanging by my neck for what seemed like an eternity until my sister saw me and came screaming and lifted me up and saved my life.

She took the rope off and I was bleeding around my neck. I had a bruised and scabbed ring around my neck for a couple of months.

That was the time I almost killed myself. [emoji3]
Damnnnn…...

welldigger00

Reaction score
I’ve felt that bad drinking before, but not that level! I have an almost killed myself situation before. I had a driller working for my company years back, that was a 65 year old man that owned his own company before, and was experienced. Anyhow, he was drilling a well near the salton sea, and was drilling conventional mud, and did not set conductor before drilling. So as he was drilling he broke into a layer of pressurized water at about 150’ BGS, that started flowing. He continued drilling to a target of 700’. He didn’t realize the tiger he had by the tail at this point. The helper noticed that the shaker started gaining fluid instead of using fluid, because of bore hole displacement, which would normally be the case, this was the first indicator that he’d hit an artesian flow. At this point, he called me to tell me the situation. Artisans happen from time to time, and they’re not that big of a deal, if you have containment. Meaning, if you have set conductor first, you can shut the flow off with a valve, and flange type setup. Long story short, I had to come out to the job site, figure out a game plan for getting conductor in the ground, about 150’ or so, with concrete grouted around the annulus between the bore and the casing. We continued drilling to TD, and broke into more water. The difference was now I could trip out of the hole each night and shut the flow in with a flange and valve setup. As we neared TD, I had 800-1000 GPM, at about 150*f, not to mention, hydrogen sulfide gas, and methane gas bubbles in the fluid. At this point I’m way the fuck over my head as a simple water well driller, and in the big boy class with “was that guy”, and needing a blow out preventer, like a production drilling outfit would run. We ran around the clock until the production liner was set, gravel pack was set, and we could shut in and kill the flow. I put a gauge on the well, and it had about 100 psi of static pressure. If I didn’t get ahold of this bitch at the beginning, I would had made a new spring out in the desert off the 86, and the 22, that heads towards borrego. It would have been an ecological disaster, that surely would have put my tit in a wringer. A few weeks later, I was camping out at truckhaven, and went to check on the well site, to double check that the seal was holding. An energy firm was out scouting new sites, and I stopped to talk with them, and told them my story. It was at this point that I realized how close to making global news I was. The guy told me that at 800-1000’ BGS I would have broke into a zone that is in the 800* f temperature, and in the thousands of PSI. Had that happened, with no BOP, not only would I and my crew been vaporized, but we’d have a new geyser in so cal like the ones in Yellowstone. Ok boys, top that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
...So many times I've lost track.
Early on, maybe 6 or 7, playing with Pops' pocket knife. Wasn't supposed to. Whittling on a stick, slipped and slashed my hand good. Couldn't stop the bleeding, tried to hide as I went inside to the bathroom. Used a ton of TP...still didn't stop it. Finally decided I needed to tell my parents. Walked into the den clutching a wad of soaked TP on my bloody hand...and the world spun out to black:eek: Woke up in the kitchen, feet propped and Pops cleaning my hand. A few hours and a few stitches later, and I was getting a talking to on the drive home.
I feel bad about what I put my parents through:(

...lots of stupid fuelishness after that.

...almost died in a ditch after falling asleep driving.

...full cardiac on an operating table...I blame that one on the surgeons though.

Singleton

Reaction score
Did stupid shit drag racing my dads 88 mustang GT that he loaned me until I crashed it racing. It rolled with me inside and I ended up banged up good.

Had to pay that car off and then buy my own.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Around 4 yr old.
Posing for a pic with brother in Yosemite on a rock, slipped off into the river and got swept down river. Dad fished me out couple hundred yards downstream.
Had a few gnarly incidents body surfing and boogie boarding that could have ended poorly too.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I almost killed my dad and myself. We were at Lake Arrowhead My parents rented a cabin with a dock. I was 4 - 6 yrs old from memory. I was fishing. Fell in and my dad jumped in to get me. He and I got caught in all the reeds / kelp and was stuck under the dock. Luckily we both are here today to annoy and give each other shit and thanks.

And we don’t talk about the 4th July party where I stabbed myself with an ice pick in my chest missing my heart by about a 1/4 inch. I still say it would of been easier to let me chop up the blocked ice. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I’ll start here:

Me and my one year younger brother taking swimming lessons. We were like 9 and 10.
So we’re hanging on to the side of the pool waiting for instruction or whatever. Look over to where my brother was, he wasn’t there. He let go or whatever and was under water kind of looking at me. I grabbed his hand, pulled him up and said something like “what are you doing”?

4Waters

Reaction score
Yup, nearly drowned at 2 years old and when I was 19 I wadded up a 69 Fastback pretty good, actually really good street racing, I was at about 100mph when the collision happened and I pushed the drivers "A" post and firewall back roughly 18-20 inches. I used to be a lot better looking before I smashed my face into the steering wheel:D, I also had my ankle screwed back together as a result of the accident.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
More times than I can count....

One of the most memorable times was riding a friends new XR600 on the way to water our pot patch...he had told me not to wheelie it ....it was torture since that's all we did up north for fun was see how far you could ride one...

Pulled it up, sick style one handed showing off heading into the redwoods from coming off the 101....hit a squirrel running across the road..threw me into the ditch..I was freaking out for a sec then I told myself : just ride it out, pull out a few pieces of grass no one will know...

Hit a hidden boulder, threw me up twisting 180 heading backwards across the 2 lane blind corner I was riding towards on my side...in the air I see a loaded logging truck coming around the corner...full of redwoods what else?

Slide under the rear set of tires, it riding up the tire and pipe like a ramp giving it a tiny pop to get my helmet through...not quite all the way because it popped like a zit and shattered....

Spit me out dazed and confused...barely remember the trucker lifting me up, dusting me off with this look in his eyes...grabbed his load bar and helped me pull the pipe off the tire so I could ride it home... As soon as I hit the freeway I realized my elbow was broken, could not use the clutch! Made it back to town and had to face the music...my buddy was like godamnit you are lucky you have a broken elbow or I'd be kicking your ass up and down the street!

Had to by the bike from him haha....I look at it as I got off easy...shit who gets run over by a loaded 200klb logging truck and survives?

I got quite a few more lol....I never even thought I'd live till I was 21 haha~!

NicPaus

Reaction score
Only once!! When people say don't pour gasoline over a camp fire with a gas can.....I know why.

Never seen fire move up that fast.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I did that in Glamis grabbed a jug to start the fire. Didn't realize it was race gas and instantly the can was on fire as well. Thanks to my Buddy Jimmy and a fire extinguisher.

Few other times as well.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
81', I am 12 years old and helping my Dad and Brother, Dad had access to the old phone polls they would replace, he would grab them and we had some friends that used them as a planter barrier. One day we have a big massive one 2' + diameter and probably 25 feet long. we all have big pry bars and are rolling this thing up a slight grade in a friends back yard. Some one slips, pole comes back at us and I put my arms under it thinking ill stop it... rolls up my arms and is about to snap my dam neck and my brother stops the dam thing with the bar he had. I had splinters in my hands up my arms and in my neck... scared the crap out me.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Oh shit...this is now memory lane...with some potholes:eek:

Had a drop dead, knockout of a girl in the passenger seat. Been working on picking that lock for a month. Sealed the deal that night...but had to get her home before curfew. Don't know how fast I was going...speedo only went to 85 in the 83 Mustang. The eucalyptus trees hung down over the stop sign:( I locked the brakes, but slid right through the back of a Suburban, driver side behind the axle. It spun, but velocity carried me straight. Obliterated the left corner of my ride, but kept rolling. I dropped her off, and then my conscience got a hold of me. I called the Sheriff's office, and told them what I'd done. My white car was reported as a yellow Buick...didn't hang up, waited 40min for the patrol to come get me. There were 140ft of skidmarks, about 20ft where the tires were up from impact, and another 90ft before I lifted the brakes and took off.

It was a dad taking home kids from a boy scout deal. Timing a bit different, I could have killed them, or the girl next to me. Sad thing is, I was still a dumbass for years after that...but not in the same way. Drove a bit differently. Never as stupid on the street, and never like that with a passenger.

ssc

Reaction score
Had a too close encounter with a Great White shark off Catalina. A few motorcycle accidents including flying into a ditch. Another time I managed to launch my motorcycle 25 feet into the air. The landing busted me up. Body surfing at HB when I got jack hammered by a wave. Hit bottom head first snapping my neck and felt tingling all the way down to my toes and then was rolled over and over. I thought I was going to drown.

Cheers, Steve

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Kind of hard to explain but early 80’s a new structure being built over the Napa River. At least 100 feet high.
We’d drive on the dirt road to it to drink beer etc.
I stood on the the concrete wall and pissed into the river below.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I rode a CBR F2 in college. Of course I almost killed myself. Numerous times.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
46587E94-8CD3-42A7-BFD1-2D5508343BFB.jpeg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I’ve felt that bad drinking before, but not that level! I have an almost killed myself situation before. I had a driller working for my company years back, that was a 65 year old man that owned his own company before, and was experienced. Anyhow, he was drilling a well near the salton sea, and was drilling conventional mud, and did not set conductor before drilling. So as he was drilling he broke into a layer of pressurized water at about 150’ BGS, that started flowing. He continued drilling to a target of 700’. He didn’t realize the tiger he had by the tail at this point. The helper noticed that the shaker started gaining fluid instead of using fluid, because of bore hole displacement, which would normally be the case, this was the first indicator that he’d hit an artesian flow. At this point, he called me to tell me the situation. Artisans happen from time to time, and they’re not that big of a deal, if you have containment. Meaning, if you have set conductor first, you can shut the flow off with a valve, and flange type setup. Long story short, I had to come out to the job site, figure out a game plan for getting conductor in the ground, about 150’ or so, with concrete grouted around the annulus between the bore and the casing. We continued drilling to TD, and broke into more water. The difference was now I could trip out of the hole each night and shut the flow in with a flange and valve setup. As we neared TD, I had 800-1000 GPM, at about 150*f, not to mention, hydrogen sulfide gas, and methane gas bubbles in the fluid. At this point I’m way the fuck over my head as a simple water well driller, and in the big boy class with “was that guy”, and needing a blow out preventer, like a production drilling outfit would run. We ran around the clock until the production liner was set, gravel pack was set, and we could shut in and kill the flow. I put a gauge on the well, and it had about 100 psi of static pressure. If I didn’t get ahold of this bitch at the beginning, I would had made a new spring out in the desert off the 86, and the 22, that heads towards borrego. It would have been an ecological disaster, that surely would have put my tit in a wringer. A few weeks later, I was camping out at truckhaven, and went to check on the well site, to double check that the seal was holding. An energy firm was out scouting new sites, and I stopped to talk with them, and told them my story. It was at this point that I realized how close to making global news I was. The guy told me that at 800-1000’ BGS I would have broke into a zone that is in the 800* f temperature, and in the thousands of PSI. Had that happened, with no BOP, not only would I and my crew been vaporized, but we’d have a new geyser in so cal like the ones in Yellowstone. Ok boys, top that!

I didnt read beyond this before commenting. Holy fuck. I just learned a bunch about drilling that i know nothing about. I understood about 3\4 of it and you sir almost died and created an ecological disaster at the same time. I cant compete WitH that. Well played.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

I didnt read beyond this before commenting. Holy fuck. I just learned a bunch about drilling that i know nothing about. I understood about 3\4 of it and you sir almost died and created an ecological disaster at the same time. I cant compete WitH that. Well played.
More times than I can count....

One of the most memorable times was riding a friends new XR600 on the way to water our pot patch...he had told me not to wheelie it ....it was torture since that's all we did up north for fun was see how far you could ride one...

Pulled it up, sick style one handed showing off heading into the redwoods from coming off the 101....hit a squirrel running across the road..threw me into the ditch..I was freaking out for a sec then I told myself : just ride it out, pull out a few pieces of grass no one will know...

Hit a hidden boulder, threw me up twisting 180 heading backwards across the 2 lane blind corner I was riding towards on my side...in the air I see a loaded logging truck coming around the corner...full of redwoods what else?

Slide under the rear set of tires, it riding up the tire and pipe like a ramp giving it a tiny pop to get my helmet through...not quite all the way because it popped like a zit and shattered....

Spit me out dazed and confused...barely remember the trucker lifting me up, dusting me off with this look in his eyes...grabbed his load bar and helped me pull the pipe off the tire so I could ride it home... As soon as I hit the freeway I realized my elbow was broken, could not use the clutch! Made it back to town and had to face the music...my buddy was like godamnit you are lucky you have a broken elbow or I'd be kicking your ass up and down the street!

Had to by the bike from him haha....I look at it as I got off easy...shit who gets run over by a loaded 200klb logging truck and survives?

I got quite a few more lol....I never even thought I'd live till I was 21 haha~!

This is an early candidate for thread of the year.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
So many times i have been held under. Worst was paddling out at the wedge. Triple overhead beach is packed. People are filming. Yup lets paddle out. I am riding the wave that rolls out from shore when its big on my speedbump. Kicking for all im worth. spoiler I dont make it.

Wave jacks up right in front of me i tried to dive through as it was breaking. I get picked up carried over and dropped right on my back shoulders. Im damn lucky i didnt break my neck. Then i got picked up and dropped again. And then again. it felt like forever. I stagger out of the surf and sit down. im missing a fin my rashguards torn. buddy hands me a freshly lit cigarette and an 8 year old kid comes running up with my sponge. "Heres your board... Dude....

It wasnt a good dude it was more like a what a dumbass dude... Fuck that kid....

I was lucky the set ended when it did. Getting stuck on the bottom when you know your in 3 feet of water is stupid.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Once while surfing. Similar to story above. Once in the Navy working on a F-14. Got shocked and it threw me off of the plane.

farmo83

Reaction score
We went to South Padre Island for Spring Break one year in college. We had planned to go to Mexico the middle day of the trip. The day before we had planned to go the weather was crappy at the beach so we decided to go down to Mexico a day early. We had a great time and stopped at a tourist shop near the border on the way back and I bought a huge sombrero. The next day(the day we had planned to go) there was a huge drug shoot out at the tourist shop we had stopped at, all over the news etc.

welldigger00

Reaction score
So, another time I almost died drilling, was from electrocution. I was drilling a well up in the high Dez off of Joshua, and we were drilling standard circ mud with a mud recycler/shaker. This is a trailer mounted 2500 gallon tank, with a shaker screen on the top that separates the solids, and the clean fluids fall to the bottom of the tank, which are pumped back down hole to circulate the cuttings while drilling. Anyhow, I was standing on the deck up top of the shaker, and one of the shaker motors, which are 480v three phase motors, had a loose connection internally that I was unaware of. So as I was standing there, I reached down to the shaker screen to sweep material off the screen that was sticking to it, I got hit with the voltage. Fortunately for me it was just a quick exposure, and I didn’t have anything that I was gripping in my hand, other wise I would have probably locked up on it and rode lighting. It knocked me down off the shaker, my helper saw it, and rushed me to the hospital. I spent the night there, and the ran a series of tests. I remember my teeth and jaw hurting like hell for a while after that. To this day I get weird heart palpitations from time to time. So, the lesson is, stay in school. Don’t get in the drilling business!!

dave29

Reaction score
Surfing at Hollister Ranch with Glen Kennedy. Waves were about 4-6' and a rogue 10 footer comes rolling in. Almost made it but got sucked backwards over the falls. Washing machine for what seemed like an eternity. We were about 2-300-- yards offshore and I hit the bottom. Was lucky to be able to push off the bottom toward the surface. Was about 5 feet from air and a strange calm came over me. I was completely out of air and ready to inhale the ocean. It was like my brain was oxygen depleted. Finally hit the surface. It was the day I almost drowned. To this day, when I remember the event I take a series of deep breaths.

Last edited:

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I've had a few minor close calls, not worth mentioning, but thinking back 50 years still bothers me about almost killing someone else. Late sixties or early 70's, summer night, Sierra Ave Fontana. I'm driving a 67 Camaro SS, unknown person Firebird 400, we take off, I bang a first to second gear shift at about 7500 rpms, clutch explodes. Basic result, Firebird 400 has a 14" sickle shaped hole in door 2" below driver window opening.:eek:

gqchris

Reaction score
I was 13 years old and my brother in law was really big into Scuba. They were doing an event at a Soak City type of place in a 15 Foot pool. Kind of a intro to Scuba thing where you can take lessons right at this pool. He asked if I wanted to go down, but didnt give me any real training. Being 13 , I was like hell yeah.

Went down, all was fine. I had a weight belt on and full setup. We were at bottom of pool. He took out regulator and showed me to do it also to clear my mask by blowing air thru it. Well dipshit forgot to tell me the purge button on the regulator. So I ALMOST gulp water down there, but freak out instead. He quickly takes off my belt and throws me to the surface. I swear to this day I almost blacked out inches away from the surface. I was so pissed at him. My sister was going to kill him. Fuck I get shaken up just typing it.

Never scubad after that.

stoker

Reaction score
Surfing at Hollister Ranch with Glen Kennedy. Waves were about 4-6' and a rogue 10 footer comes rolling in. Almost made it but got sucked backwards over the falls. Washing machine for about for what seemed like an eternity. We were about 2-300-- yards offshore and I hit the bottom. Was lucky to be able to push off the bottom toward the surface. Was about 5 feet from air and a strange calm came over me. I was completely out of air and ready to inhale the ocean. It was like my brain was oxygen depleted. Finally hit the surface. It was the day I almost drowned. To this day, when I remember the event I take a series of deep breaths.

I have experienced that strange calm feeling when I almost drowned after abandoning ship due to fire.

johnnyC

Reaction score
years ago when i was about 14-15 I was with my grandfather after his heart attack in plum canyon in the santa clarita area where he was drilling a oil well. I was wandering around exploring stuff as most kids did he was taking a nap in the back seat of his car, i wandered over to the sump pit where the mud from the well was put wile drilling I looked into it and noticed the dried mud was cracked and how cool the pieces would fly when thrown so i thought I would JUMP IN and get some and then with a second thought
i walked down to the end of the pit where it was ramped took one step on to the mud and went up to my waist i managed to get out and wandered back to the car where he was still napping and began to scrape the mud from my jeans ... he woke up and turned white, i look back now and wonder why he didn't have another attack on the spot... I had a angel on my shoulder that day!!!!!! it wasn't my time yet

brgrcru

Reaction score
How much time do you guys have? :confused:
A book would cover all my near death experiences :oops:

brgrcru

Reaction score
Latest , about 3 months ago
I was using my handy dandy big rooter snake , that I bought from harbor freight , to open a floor drain .
That My Plummer told me to buy , just in case . Now I have used it before With great success . Twice .

This time . That fucking rooter snake cable decided it wanted to kill me .
Oh , I cleared the drain. Along with almost taking my head off.
That cable was wound up , came out of that hole like . Black moomba.

My only comment was " oh , that could of been real bad . "

My thought after
Me with my neck slashed , Laying on floor , in a pool of blood , dead . When my wife checks into work .