WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Did you hear about the cause of the Train derailment in Los Angeles Tuesday?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Truth is stranger than fiction...

A train engineer faces federal charges after he allegedly admitted to intentionally derailing a train Tuesday near the USNS Mercy, a ship sent to Los Angeles to ease the burden of hospitals treating coronavirus patients, according to the Department of Justice.

Eduardo Moreno, 44, told law enforcement investigators he was "suspicious" of the ship and believed it "had an alternate purpose related to COVID-19 or a government takeover," the Justice Department said in a news release, citing the affidavit.

Moreno has been charged with one count of train wrecking, the Justice Department said.

According to the Justice Department, Moreno, a train engineer at the Port of Los Angeles, crashed the train at the end of the tracks, running through barriers before it came to a rest more than 250 yards away from the ship. No one was injured, the news release said, and the ship was not damaged.

The crash was witnessed by a California Highway Patrol officer, who took Moreno into custody as he tried to flee the scene, the news release added.

According to the affidavit obtained by CNN, Moreno confessed to crashing the train in interviews with both the Los Angeles Port Police and the FBI.

Moreno said he derailed the train because it would bring media attention, the affidavit said, and he hoped to "wake people up."

200402135057-01-usns-mercy-los-angeles-0327-exlarge-169.jpg

200402134700-la-train-derailment-0331-exlarge-169.jpg

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I saw that last night on the news. the wife and I were talking about it and I didn't realize "train Wrecking" was a specific law .......
When do you think the last time that one was read in court?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I have to see more of the layout of tracks, but a 220ton dash 9 that will not exceed 72mph will not go that far off the tracks to hit the boat as I’ve read was his attempt elsewhere. Specially with a load behind it on air. Seems to me it was a derailment that the #FAKENEWS has been able to turn into something it isn’t. Hopefully @Kachina26 can legally shed a little light on this as his department would have immediate response and access to the situation.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Have to question how crazy people are allowed to control a train! No one he worked with, none of his supervisors had any idea this guy is crazy in the head?!

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I have to see more of the layout of tracks, but a 220ton dash 9 that will not exceed 72mph will not go that far off the tracks to hit the boat as I’ve read was his attempt elsewhere. Specially with a load behind it on air. Seems to me it was a derailment that the #FAKENEWS has been able to turn into something it isn’t. Hopefully @Kachina26 can legally shed a little light on this as his department would have immediate response and access to the situation.

Crazy :eek: doesn't care about physics and if/can the train hit the boat

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Just saw this on the news this morning and surprised that the media was not all over this when it happened.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
So how did he do this, get out and put pennies on the track?

Seriously though how do you derail on purpose, it’s not like you can just crank the wheel hard.

Carrera205

Reaction score
A rep for a pipe supply company came into my work a couple months back and we were chit chatting and he told me that he used to be a supervisor at the port and he proceeded to tell me the absolute craziest stories of the insanity that occurs at that place. So this doesn’t surprise me one bit.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Have to question how crazy people are allowed to control a train! No one he worked with, none of his supervisors had any idea this guy is crazy in the head?!
Haven’t you noticed all the crazy people controlling trucks? 😜 😋🙃

Meaney77

Reaction score
"One count of Train Wrecking".....noted

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So what was the guy trying to make everyone aware of?

Wtf does this is Really going on???

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
PHL is the dumping ground for guys fired from class 1 railroads. The harbor has a lot of spur tracks, think dead end streets. He just left it in run 8 (in gear) and kept going. Unless you're asking the FBI, they seem to think this locomotive was equipped with a steering wheel.
Steering Wheels on Trains.png

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
He probably was watching the pit bull running beside the engine snapping at him.:p

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Not exactly a derail, looked like it was the end of the rail and hundreds of yards from the Mercy. Good no one was hurt and now that guy is locked up. Didn’t see the media ever mention that it was the end of the rail. The locomotive came to a stop just under the ramp to the Vincent Thomas bridge on the San Pedro side