WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Did you see the shit going down with Ultra Boats on FB?

kiethco

Reaction score
3 years.......that's different.....this just got a lil RPM-ey thread like.

kiethco

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I'm really trying to give Rusty the benefit of my doubt. My boat has been there 3 years this coming St. Patrick's day for new interior, stereo, minor gel repair (little chips etc) you may have seen my boat there its silver with purple flames
I saw that boat, that's when I decided that was my next boat. Do you wanna sell yours?

27shadow

Reaction score
Just to let all of you know I did start a new thread on this topic because I did not know if I would get a response on an old thread. I'm not trying to spam the subject.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
3 years.......that's different.....this just got a lil RPM-ey thread like.

Not really fair to even bring up RPM.. Joe / RPM honestly hasn't done anything wrong to my knowledge other than have one customer back out of a build and he was paid in full within a week.. The second can't finance the build, and now wants out, but he built something so custom (hull) it's gonna take a minute to sell it.

RD

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I'm really trying to give Rusty the benefit of my doubt. My boat has been there 3 years this coming St. Patrick's day for new interior, stereo, minor gel repair (little chips etc) you may have seen my boat there its silver with purple flames. Please do not take post as I am trying to slander Rusty or Ultra.
I started a new thread for my topic as I did not know if someone would reply to an old thread.
Dude, 3 years...... That's BEYOND patient, that's being taken advantage of in my opinion. If that's an insurance claim repair and the insurance is already paid him, I'd contact him and give him 1 week to contact me, and at MOST 1 month to complete the job or else you're contancting the insurance company for fraud (they paid him, he didn't produce a product).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

yngski

Reaction score
heres the post

Please beware do not do business with Rusty Romberg at Ultra Boat,
I went out to check on my new 28 ft boat that he had been working on for 2 1/2 years, he has sent photos of a near completed boat with engine installed boat near completion and almost ready for water testing, I traveled out to check on progress because he quit returning my phone calls, I found the engine out of the boat and various parts missing as well, I confronted Rusty he claimed he had to finish a couple of things and put a different set of heads on the engine then reinstall it, after that he pointed out my drive ready for installation when I left I decided to hire a new builder to finish the boat, I didn't feel Rusty would ever get it completed, the new builder met me out there along with Havasu Police Dept we attempted to pick the boat and parts up so new builder could finish it, Rusty said no but to give him till the end of the month "September" and he would have boat completed or all parts, trailer and boat available for pick up, we traveled back out to pick it up October 9th and the boat had been completely disassembled and scavenged, the trailer had one axle under it and was bare, no boards, no wheels, no brakes, etc, I tried to pick up all my parts Rusty claimed he had ordered for me with my money and he said they were gone, he used them on other boats if he ever had them at all, 128,000 dollars 2 years and 7 months later I have a bare hull an incomplete trailer, a bare block and blower assembly no stereo, no steering, no drive, guys like this need to go away, he has done the same to 4 other people that I know of, the Havasu Police Department will not get involved or help, they are completely useless, all they want to do is write traffic tickets or issue DUI's please spread the word before another trusting person deals with useless specimen of humanity with their hard earned money, feel free to reach out to me with any questions, I have copies of e-mails, text messages, photos etc to prove this is all true.
I wish I had seen your post before I ordered a new boat from Rusty. 95% paid for and 2 years 3 months later still no boat. Lot's of excuses though....

guest hs

Reaction score
Gray and purple cat is still there, must be more to the story then we were told

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
CHmBhqM.gif

WildWilly

Reaction score
in recent weeks I actually thought maybe they turned it around based on the activity around the shop. There was a time this year that it looked closed down and locked up, no one around. But the last couple months, gates are always open and people coming and going. Apparently that might not be the case in finishing builds.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
What do you guys mean? Everything is fine, this is just a misunderstanding. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: JBS

Singleton

Reaction score
in recent weeks I actually thought maybe they turned it around based on the activity around the shop. There was a time this year that it looked closed down and locked up, no one around. But the last couple months, gates are always open and people coming and going. Apparently that might not be the case in finishing builds.

Rusty has hired a couple new guys and things are getting better. Not where it needs to be IMO, but heading the right direction.
Not defending Rusty at all, but most of these delay issues are tied to builds that started 2 years ago and had multiple change orders (not always documented by both parties). All these delayed builds were pay as you build type deals with multiple change orders that were not always documented and signed off by both parties.
I had lengthy conversation with Rusty once about these delayed build and the root of all issue was disagreements on what was due when the original agreement had changes/upgrades done but documentation on those changes and additional costs were not always documented.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Rusty has hired a couple new guys and things are getting better. Not where it needs to be IMO, but heading the right direction.
Not defending Rusty at all, but most of these delay issues are tied to builds that started 2 years ago and had multiple change orders (not always documented by both parties). All these delayed builds were pay as you build type deals with multiple change orders that were not always documented and signed off by both parties.
I had lengthy conversation with Rusty once about these delayed build and the root of all issue was disagreements on what was due when the original agreement had changes/upgrades done but documentation on those changes and additional costs were not always documented.
And? That sounds like an shitty excuse to me. Any spmewhat descent business operator knows to have contractual changes fully documented. That is nobody's fault but Rusty's. He might as well just have not built the boats at that point as 2+ years is beyond rediculous. I dont even think a custom,made, one-off built Schiada takes that long...

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score
And? That sounds like an shitty excuse to me. Any spmewhat descent business operator knows to have contractual changes fully documented. That is nobody's fault but Rusty's. He might as well just have not built the boats at that point as 2+ years is beyond rediculous. I dont even think a custom,made, one-off built Schiada takes that long...

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Like I said not defending Rusty at all. Two years builds are ridiculous IMO. However when the customer owes you X + change orders/upgrades, but customer is only willing to pay X, and not pay for changes/upgrades, things get dragged out.
I think Rusty tried to do business based on handshake and phone calls, and that does not work!
Plus I think Rusty has an operating cash issue and digging out of that is difficult.

dribble

Reaction score

Really? I had a custom house built in 18 weeks from site prep to move in with change orders. Probably for not much more than this guy paid for his new boat in May, 2015. I've had two new custom boats built in less than 60 days. I'm glad he hired new guys and is managing to pay his expenses with his customers money. Two years and three months with 95% paid up front is inexcusable and (IMO) has crossed the line to being criminal. What kind of change orders on a boat build (conveniently not documented by him) would cause a two year delay? Different gauges? Trim tabs? He should ask the former builder of Southwind boats and later a Carrerra Dealer here in Sacramento (James M) how his three years in prison for this exact kind of fraud felt.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
Really? I had a custom house built in 18 weeks from site prep to move in with change orders. Probably for not much more than this guy paid for his new boat in May, 2015. I've had two new custom boats built in less than 60 days. I'm glad he hired new guys and is managing to pay his expenses with his customers money. Two years and three months with 95% paid up front is inexcusable and (IMO) has crossed the line to being criminal. He should ask the former builder of Southwind boats and later a Carrerra Dealer here in Sacramento (James M) how his three years in prison for this exact kind of fraud felt.

95% of that build was not paid in full up front. I have seen the document Rusty uses, customer has a payment schedule based on target completion goals, after initial deposit paid. Last payment is always due on delivery and includes all changes/upgrades.

As stated, not defending Rusty (see my prior post), but IMO, 3 sides to this story (customers, ultras and the truth), and we are only going to hear 1 side. Rusty is not going to post on this site, since he believes these conversations should be between himself and the customer directly.

dribble

Reaction score
95% of that build was not paid in full up front. I have seen the document Rusty uses, customer has a payment schedule based on target completion goals, after initial deposit paid. Last payment is always due on delivery and includes all changes/upgrades.

As stated, not defending Rusty (see my prior post), but IMO, 3 sides to this story (customers, ultras and the truth), and we are only going to hear 1 side. Rusty is not going to post on this site, since he believes these conversations should be between himself and the customer directly.

Given the number of people alleging the same thing I would say there’s more than three sides. There’s his and everyone else’s. Apparently his document has no place to put change orders but he could just create a new one and make it an attachment.

I'm no stranger to this. I've investigated dozens of cases of vehicle restoration where large amounts of money were paid up front and little or no work done or just enough to keep the customer at bay as they kept paying more and more. The cases were all overwhelmingly similar. It was always the customers fault. They had staffing issues. It was too hard to do business in the state, county, city. Yet I could go down the street to another resto shop and the work was getting done, the shop was making money and the customers were happy (ie Nordic). I managed to get the some of the ones who defrauded several people locked up for a while. I always got their licenses. I never was able to recover the customers money. It was gone.

Last edited:

Member: 71

M ǝ ɯ q ǝ ɹ : 7 1
Reaction score
Who’s got the 411 on that Magic deck that looked like it had just popped out of the mold? Saw it during Labor Day weekend 2018.

spectras only

Reaction score
Throwing some positive thoughts in this thread. Good thing Rusty is not building steel hulled boats.;)
The hulls would get rusted away before rigging process start.:D

Englewood

Reaction score
Who’s got the 411 on that Magic deck that looked like it had just popped out of the mold? Saw it during Labor Day weekend 2018.
Last I heard was that Horizon was building a couple? Who knows...Kinda a bummer they chose Ultra to lay them up.

I stopped in with a friend recently and the whole operation is a joke. Boats half put together, filthy, broken, etc. Once this economy slows down, I don't foresee them surviving.

Reaction score
I wish I had seen your post before I ordered a new boat from Rusty. 95% paid for and 2 years 3 months later still no boat. Lot's of excuses though....

That like 3 summers. I hope you went out and bought another boat in the mean time. Some of the people on here regularly trade-in a boats every two years. ;)

Reaction score

He sounds worse than a bad pool contractor, except the customer doesn't have to look at a hole in the backyard for 18 months, while the company goes through bankruptcy. ;)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Magic hulls are being built by Horizon. I am not sure who he’s going to have rig them yet.

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
Magic hulls are being built by Horizon. I am not sure who he’s going to have rig them yet.

Did I read here (RDP) once that a 30 and a 28 Magic Deck were layed up by Ultra and goint to Horizon?
And
Did ultra tool a wide body 30' full windscreen Shadow cat?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Did I read here (RDP) once that a 30 and a 28 Magic Deck were layed up by Ultra and goint to Horizon?
And
Did ultra tool a wide body 30' full windscreen Shadow cat?

I know Preston had a couple of hulls laid up by Rusty, not sure which ones they were.

I believe Rusty is building a couple of 344 Ultra's for customers right now. That might be what you are referring too?

RD

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
I know Preston had a couple of hulls laid up by Rusty, not sure which ones they were.

I believe Rusty is building a couple of 344 Ultra's for customers right now. That might be what you are referring too?

RD

344...Could be.

ilmormark

Rest Easy Mark (ilmormark) (Smoke On The Water) 😢
Reaction score
Had a similar situation with a hull i bought ding dong near the Hemet airport kept asking for money as things we moving along. Finally i started giving him a credit card as he kept asking me for more money. When i visited him he was completed as told and the work he did was sub standard. Packed up my truck and the boat and hauled it to Bob at Shockwave honest hard working dedicated custom boat builder didnt charge me a nickel until it was done. He did an amazing job and by the way i reversed 22,000 in charges to he ding dong
IMG_0570.jpg