WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Didn't know they still cruised Van Nuys (lowriders cruising)

LazyLavey

Reaction score
It's full on entertainment.....

Went with Cool change last year to check it out....

"Vanditos" was resurrected as well

RichL

Reaction score
It's not the same as the old days.

Scenes from Van Nuys Blvd and Corvette Summer 😁

Never got to do the Van Nuys Blvd thing but sure do miss those days. We managed some good times here in the east too.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
I cruised Whittier Blvd but pretty sure I cruised Garey Ave and the Big T parking lot more, my sisters were forced to drag me along! I wasn’t old enough to even drive, I’m 5-6 years younger than both🤣

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I had a 63 Impala convertible we used to cruise all the time back in the day. It was just before the seat belt rules, so we could put four or five girls in
the back seat. LOL Sunset Boulevard, Westwood, Hollywood. Fun times back then.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Van Nuys was to far for us to drive, we did Whittier Blvd. Ate at Scottys, shot pool at the Plush cue and looked at the cars at Stick City. My 69 Chevelle got about 6 miles to the gallon so going from San Gabriel Valley (Covina), up and over Colima past Puente Hills on to Whittier took a whole paycheck 😁

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I use to do it back in the 70's. My first car was a 70 chevelle so fit right in

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Sad how my brain functions sometimes. All those hotties in the video from the early '70s are pushing 70🥴
Cruised Escondido, Valley Pkwy, in late 70s, early 80s. Some of my best memories.

Tank

Reaction score
I've loved lowriders since I was a kid. Still do. 60's, 70's, even into the 80's. I also like the mini truck era with dump / dancing beds. But I swear, before I die I will own a show quality 61 or 62 rag impala on 13x7 daytons or zeniths, 2 pumps, old school round dumps that make the loud popping sound when you dump it, 10 switches, 8 batteries. Top 3 dream cars.

Looks like whittier Blvd still goes off too.

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
I've loved lowriders since I was a kid. Still do. 60's, 70's, even into the 80's. I also like the mini truck era with dump / dancing beds. But I swear, before I die I will own a show quality 61 or 62 rag impala on 13x7 daytons or zeniths, 2 pumps, old school round dumps that make the loud popping sound when you dump it, 10 switches, 8 batteries. Top 3 dream cars.

I’m not a low rider looking guy by far. But I get odd looks from guys when I take the 58 impala to so cal shows. I usually end up meeting a lot of the guys there and are all pretty cool people. I have 3 uncles who are part of groupe ela all originals too.

Tank

Reaction score
Yea
I’m not a low rider looking guy by far. But I get odd looks from guys when I take the 58 impala to so cal shows. I usually end up meeting a lot of the guys there and are all pretty cool people. I have 3 uncles who are part of groupe ela all originals too.
h I’m pretty Fuckin white. Grew up on the beach and all I stood out a bit hanging with all my Mexican friends with low riders. I had a lifted 69 impala on tru spokes with 58 two wing caps, 78 el Camino with a safari top on Dayton’s and a 93 standard cab Chevy 1500 on 15x8 triple gold Daytona. What’s your uncles driving? Your 58 is sick from the pics you’ve posted.

got me listening to back strokin’ and west coast pop lock and some dazz band on my way home now. Good low low music. Lol

wife always makes fun golf me when I start talking about wanting another impairs. She’s like dude, you’re not Mexican. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️I’m like, I do not follow your insensitive type casts! 😂😂

Last edited:

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I spent many Wednesday and Friday nights cruising Van Nuys Blvd in my 55 Chevy and then over to Little Bob's on Sherman Way at Balboa, and go by Bob's on Sherman way in Canoga Park, then back to Van Nuys Blvd. Fun times, lots of racing right on Van Nuys Blvd in the old days 1963-70.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I’ll have a 64’ Impala on Dayton’s soon. I miss my 64’ Cadillac on spokes and was recently thinking about getting back into a car.

I’m as white as they come but I love low lows. My two best friends I grew up with, and we’re still like brothers today, are both Hispanic so it’s probably where I got the appreciation lol

Hydros are a different level and maintenance though. Not sure I’d want to go that route if it’s gonna be any sort of a driver. Both Hydros and Bags have come a long ways so who knows.

Tank

Reaction score
I’ll have a 64’ Impala on Dayton’s soon. I miss my 64’ Cadillac on spokes and was recently thinking about getting back into a car.

I’m as white as they come but I love low lows. My two best friends I grew up with, and we’re still like brothers today, are both Hispanic so it’s probably where I got the appreciation lol

Hydros are a different level and maintenance though. Not sure I’d want to go that route if it’s gonna be any sort of a driver. Both Hydros and Bags have come a long ways so who knows.

hard top? Rag top? Super sport or standard?

I haven’t had a car with hydrolics in well
Over 20 years and a buddy of mine stopped by a while back with his lifted Lincoln and was showing me all the crazy new shit they’re doing that I hadn’t been up to speed on. Ball joints and fluid mixed with CO2 And all kinds of weird shit. Guess you can even get away from the rough ride if you choose to now. Which wtf would you want that?! Lol that was part of the cool factor.

but man I remember vividly how much maintanence having hydros was. Like a boat, always something. Oh ring leaking, ram popped out of the cup, solenoid stuck, dead battery, low on oil, coil unseated, etc etc etc.

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

Over 20 years and a buddy of mine stopped by a while back with his lifted Lincoln and was showing me all the crazy new shit they’re doing that I hadn’t been up to speed on. Ball joints and fluid mixed with CO2 And all kinds of weird shit. Guess you can even get away from the rough ride if you choose to now. Which wtf would you want that?! Lol that was part of the cool factor.

I’m good with a hardtop but would love a SS Vert. The cost of those is crazy though and that’s before Covid.

I’ve been watching vids and reading up on hydros. It’s cubic dollars nowadays and the sky is the limit. I’m still a purist at heart and appreciate the rough ride so I wouldn’t go crazy with it.

I just love the large cars laid out on wires.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Never been a big low rider guy (although I appreciate good workmanship in some of them) and being a hard core hot rodder, used to bag on the low riders with "your car is all show and no go"! 😁

I am increasingly wanting to build a custom now though. Customs are very similar to low riders but without the silly tiny wheels and hydraulics. I guess the quintessential custom would be a chopped top '50 Merc but what I'm really into the an early '60's custom with a Larry Watson style paint job. I might do up my '63.5 Galaxie in this style.

Tank, I could see you in a Rivyy or T-Bird or even a Caddy custom with a laced and flamed metal flake paint job. Kelly wouldn't bag on you about being a wannabe Mexican! 😜

Tank

Reaction score
I’m good with a hardtop but would love a SS Vert. The cost of those is crazy though and that’s before Covid.

I’ve been watching vids and reading up on hydros. It’s cubic dollars nowadays and the sky is the limit. I’m still a purist at heart and appreciate the rough ride so I wouldn’t go crazy with it.

I just love the large cars laid out on wires.

Yeah. I’ve been watching the impala market close for 25 years. Always waiting for the prices to drop - they NEVER do! Not recession, gas prices, or anything else makes the impala market dip. They just keep going up and up. 😞 25 years ago a guy I knew wanted to sell his lifted 61 rag but he wanted 25k. I was like no way man. Way to much. 🙄🙄

But whatever. I’ll still buy one when the times right.

Never been a big low rider guy (although I appreciate good workmanship in some of them) and being a hard core hot rodder, used to bag on the low riders with "your car is all show and no go"! 😁

I am increasingly wanting to build a custom now though. Customs are very similar to low riders but without the silly tiny wheels and hydraulics. I guess the quintessential custom would be a chopped top '50 Merc but what I'm really into the an early '60's custom with a Larry Watson style paint job. I might do up my '63.5 Galaxie in this style.

Tank, I could see you in a Rivyy or T-Bird or even a Caddy custom with a laced and flamed metal flake paint job. Kelly wouldn't bag on you about being a wannabe Mexican! 😜

I’m actually a fan of all types of customs. I like old school 50’s hot rods as well. Would live a 32 high boy or a 49 Merc. I keep selling Kelly that I’d put the impala on 20’s and have it quasi resto rod but she ain’t buying it. Lol she knows the Daytons would be on in no time.

spectra75

Senior Lurker
Reaction score

but man I remember vividly how much maintanence having hydros was. Like a boat, always something. Oh ring leaking, ram popped out of the cup, solenoid stuck, dead battery, low on oil, coil unseated, etc etc etc.
I too enjoyed Van Nuys Blvd. I had a 64 Ford Galaxie 500XL. Lifted front and rear. Astro Supremes with 520 tires. The Ford had rear leaf springs so we built a bridge for the cyclinders and springs. Fords also had a beefier frame then GM‘S x frame of that era. Also used aircraft pumps and cylinders, no tailgate pumps. Great times!

johnnyC

Reaction score
was around van nuys blvd in the mid to late sixtys, and very early 70's it was sheer pandemonium. at bobs on van nuys you couldnt park they were always loaded you could only drive through the parking lot. cops all over the place, the two memories that stand out the most was i heading south or west on van nuys and was following a early corvette abt a 59 to 61 it was jacked up had coil overs wheelie bars and a parachute and slicks, i was in awe.... there was a bar next to the ventura freeway on the left side it was so crowded there were people hanging out in the street... too bad it will never be the same again!.... those were the days pure AMERICA

selfmade

Reaction score
These are a few vids from both van nuys and Whittier.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score

Right there with ya tank. A 63 i came across didn’t work out, too much title drama, guy in jail, etc. Wasn’t worth the risk if you know what i mean. I say it all the time, i will have a 61-63 impala with hydros, daytons, etc at some point in my life.

Had the bagged and bodied (doored) nissan and it was always fun to drive

IMG_2471.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank

Reaction score
Right there with ya tank. A 63 i came across didn’t work out, too much title drama, guy in jail, etc. Wasn’t worth the risk if you know what i mean. I say it all the time, i will have a 61-63 impala with hydros, daytons, etc at some point in my life.

Had the bagged and bodied (doored) nissan and it was always fun to drive

View attachment 955060

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Always loved laid hardbodys. Wanted one with a z rack.

beerrun

Reaction score
Wife and I ( she was the girlfriend back then) would cruise 2nd street in el Cajon in my 75 GMC Jimmy on 38s back in the early 80s when everyone was building Toyota on 38s

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
This thread I tell ya..... kept looking for Snoop in the vids.

I always heard Long Beach was white only back in the day... and now I know it must be true.

707dog

Reaction score

Tank you would think we grew up together or friends as i love all the classics but nothing like lowrider. i just sold my hard top 62 last week it went to SD was hard to let go off but now on the hunt for that dream car 62 convertible i am in no rush but when i find the "one" i am ready to cash out.
Resized_20201015_181701.jpeg

old rigger

Reaction score
It's not the same as the old days.

Scenes from Van Nuys Blvd and Corvette Summer 😁

Damn, those made my eyes a little bit misty.
Only did Van Nuys once and thought we'd never get there leaving from Lakewood, but it was worth the drive.

We were 16 in '72 so thanks to American Graffiti coming out the same year cruising on Bellflower blvd heated up again. My dad cruised Bellfower when he was a kid along with Watson and all the other Paramount/Hollydale/Lakewood,/Bellflower kids.

Whittier was great too and didn't matter to anyone that we were dumb kids with what we thought were fast cars. Although in short time we started to make them faster. In my '56 pickup I used a 394 Olds, 14 1/2 compression, dual quads, Isky cam, Vertex mag, fender well headers, 4 speed B&M hydro, 4:35 gears in the rear and a shit ton of other parts I wish I had today. Ran like stink but was a bitch to stop with the stock brakes. Truth be told I could barely afford to keep gas in the thing as it got about 4 mpg.

Tank

Reaction score
Tank you would think we grew up together or friends as i love all the classics but nothing like lowrider. i just sold my hard top 62 last week it went to SD was hard to let go off but now on the hunt for that dream car 62 convertible i am in no rush but when i find the "one" i am ready to cash out. View attachment 955245

Damn dude. That thing is SIIIIIICK! I bet you got a pretty penny for that. Sitting on zenith cross laces?

707dog

Reaction score
Damn dude. That thing is SIIIIIICK! I bet you got a pretty penny for that. Sitting on zenith cross laces?
they are 72 crosslace built by superior wire wheel( zenith) with real super swepts. as you know what kind of mess that zenith company went through when craig passed away. seeing my impala on the shippers trailer was like seeing my wife holding hands with another man...lol

Tank

Reaction score
they are 72 crosslace built by superior wire wheel( zenith) with real super swepts. as you know what kind of mess that zenith company went through when craig passed away. seeing my impala on the shippers trailer was like seeing my wife holding hands with another man...lol

oh hell yeah. That’s awesome.
And yeah, I bet that was tough. But good call setting up for the rag. 👍

77charger

Reaction score
Tank you would think we grew up together or friends as i love all the classics but nothing like lowrider. i just sold my hard top 62 last week it went to SD was hard to let go off but now on the hunt for that dream car 62 convertible i am in no rush but when i find the "one" i am ready to cash out. View attachment 955245
bad ass

One2go

Reaction score
Van Nuys was to far for us to drive, we did Whittier Blvd. Ate at Scottys, shot pool at the Plush cue and looked at the cars at Stick City. My 69 Chevelle got about 6 miles to the gallon so going from San Gabriel Valley (Covina), up and over Colima past Puente Hills on to Whittier took a whole paycheck 😁
That hits home for sure,Grew up in Covina as well.Had 56 Chevy bel air (all primer)with 327 and 411 s. thing didn't like long runs on the freeway.LOL. Went up Colima many times over to Whittier blvd.Cruised all over surrounding city's almost nightly.In &out on arrow hwy,Mc Donald's on barranca were the meet up spots. Man I wish I never sold that car. About 1977-78. Still keep thinking will get another one someday!

Hypnautic

Reaction score
My company owner just had his 72 Cutlass done.
His first ride was for a photo shoot for LowRider. They do story spot lights on successful business owners who are into the scene.
I was able to meet Joe Ray-a legend in LowRiders for sure..
IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG
IMG_0352.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG