WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

*diesel gurus* Efi live/LBZ duramax back to stock help

Bunger

Reaction score
Got myself in a bit of a predicament. Bought a 07 classic ext cab 4x4 lbz (my dream truck) last week. It came with a straight pipe and efi live with the dsp5 switch on it. Previous owner had it installed by a shop instead of buying the autocal device with the tube loaded on it which means I have no way to put it back to stock. I planned on having my “smog guy” take care of this issue but he can’t even get through the efi live in the ecu. I’ve got the stock exhaust with the cat but no way to get ecm back to stock. Any one have any ideas? Can I buy a autocal device with a stock tune loaded on it so I can smog this thing? Wish I had a house in az I could register it to. Any help would be much appreciated this is driving me insane.

LBZRCKS

Reaction score
Where are you located?

If it's got a dsp5 then you can't read the tune out of it. Shouldn't have an issue writing over it though. If you buy an autocal you'd also have to buy tunes unless you just want to keep it stock.

It'll pass smog with the straight pipe as long as your guy looks the other way for the visual and it has a stock tune in it so that the egr monitor shows up

Bunger

Reaction score
I’m in eastvale/norco. This is my first diesel so I’m clueless. I was wondering if I can buy an autocal with the stock tune programmed on it, install that and pull my tune off and pass smog. I also have know idea what my 5 tunes are on the switch. 1 is definitely the hot rod tune but 2-5 feel the same for the most part. Dealers and a few local shops said trying to remap the stock tune over the efi tune usually doesn’t end well. At this point I would be totally fine leaving it stock. Less shit to go wrong and I don’t need the extra H.O. for anything just towing a boat.

JD D05

Reaction score
Just take it to any shop that can still tune and have them flash it to stock.

Bunger

Reaction score
Just take it to any shop that can still tune and have them flash it to stock.

The few dealers and shops I’ve talked to said flashing over the efi tune is risky. A lot of times it smokes the ecm

JD D05

Reaction score
The few dealers and shops I’ve talked to said flashing over the efi tune is risky. A lot of times it smokes the ecm

Ya I don't think so. I can refer you a shop. People re tune there shit all the time.

Bunger

Reaction score
Ya I’ll take just about any leads I can get. I’ve talked to John at domestic diesel, a tuning shop in Utah, ppei, all time gas and diesel and 3 dealers so far.

JD D05

Reaction score
Ya I’ll take just about any leads I can get. I’ve talked to John at domestic diesel, a tuning shop in Utah, ppei, all time gas and diesel and 3 dealers so far.

I just spoke to the owner of the most prominent Duramax shop in the country....complete bullshit. If you can get your hands on a efi scan tool and he get you taken care of.

Bunger

Reaction score
I just spoke to the owner of the most prominent Duramax shop in the country....complete bullshit. If you can get your hands on a efi scan tool and he get you taken care of.

What shop is that? I’d like to give him a call tommorow. Looks like I can get a autocal device on eBay for 200$ or so.

LBZRCKS

Reaction score
If all you're looking for is to put it to stock, go to SoCal diesel. A little out of the way for you buy they're in Valencia right by Teague. Guy the owner is the main efilive distributor for the U.S.

LBZRCKS

Reaction score

Not at all unless the ECM is locked to not allow flashing over the existing tune which is unlikely. Typically they're just locked to not allow reading so someone can't copy the tune.

You have a LBZ those ECM's are pretty robust opposed to the older LB7 and LLY.

Bunger

Reaction score
I work in downtown LA so I could swing by there on my way home. I’ll give him a call later today thanks

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I don't think the ECM registers anything to the specific truck, or interacts with the BCM on the GMT-800 trucks. What this means, is that you can probably just slap a stock ECM in and go about your way. I know on the 99-07 gas trucks, you can put any ECM (from your same application) and it works without having to tune or unlock it, so long as your gear ratio and tire size is the same as what the donor vehicle had. So if you had a 2007 2wd 2500HD with a duramax, 3.73 gears, etc - you'd want an ECM from the same type of truck.
Check this out - less than $100.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-ECM...lassic&hash=item469ecc76b3:g:vJYAAOSwTeJdmlNm

Jetboatjosh

Reaction score
Diesel injection service in Colton ca does really good work