WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Diesel mechanic

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Anyone have a good diesel mechanic that they have used in OC or Havasu that could replace the water pump on a 2006 Duramax for less than $1100? Just seems like it could be done for less than that but I want someone that will do it right.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
The part is $275. The $$ is in labor. Gotta tear the fron of motor off to get it. Even the harmonic balancer 😡

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I just had mine done on my 2011 for $1300. $1100 sounds like a deal.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Anyone have a good diesel mechanic that they have used in OC or Havasu that could replace the water pump on a 2006 Duramax for less than $1100? Just seems like it could be done for less than that but I want someone that will do it right.

I have one in Escondido that will save you a ton. He's a guru.

kevnmcd

Reaction score
The part is $275. The $$ is in labor. Gotta tear the fron of motor off to get it. Even the harmonic balancer [emoji35]

I know it is all in labor but I have seen on some sites that it can be done in lees time than what the books say but they want to charge me the book time and I don't think they have done it before so I am not all that comfortable in the quality and price.

grumpy88

Reaction score
My feeling is if I'm going to pay book time I'm going to pay it to the dealer. Independents have gotten out of control on there pricing .

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
book labor is 6+ hours, and I looked into it, I don't work on a lot duramax's but I know from fellow technicians experiences, it is a lot of labor, and a few special tools. so $1100 seems steep, but quite possible. if you were San Diego local I could do it for no less than about $900 P&L.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Domestic Diesel in Chino. Good guys and John takes care of his customers.

Clunk

Still a Jr peckerwood
Reaction score
Why GM bills it at 6 hours baffles me. I've done water pumps on 15+ Duramax's and the longest it's ever taken me is 3 hours. Most of the time I can have it done in 2. Only "special" tools needed is a fan clutch wrench/strap and a barring block for the flywheel...and that's only necessary if you don't have a buddy handy to lock up the flywheel for you while you break the balancer bolt loose.

It's not a hard job but I still can't figure out GM's reasoning for their time....must include a couple piss or smoke breaks

JRS1939

Reaction score
Sadly my 07 needs one too and can't find it quoted for less than 1000

wzuber

Reaction score
It's a good idea to have them tack weld the impeller to the shaft and replace that short, pain in the ass little coolant hose while it's apart. I did my 04/LB7 @ 60K miles. I went with an aftermarket water pump. I figured if the OEM part went bad that quick I wasn't doing that again. It's been 100k miles and still going strong. If you go onto the duramax forums you can read all about it so you have some additional knowledge about the process and other recommended items to address while that portion of the motor is accessed. Are they doing a complete cooling system service (flushing the block and radiator, new thermostats etc.) while it's drained for that price?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Damn that is pricey. It's one of the reasons I sold my 2008 Dmax. It was an awesome truck but with 110k on it I just felt like i was creeping up on some big repair bills in the future. I figured EGR issues, injectors, possible Allison trans rebuild at some point, turbo, etc. Never though about the water pump costing a grand though...

On the 6.0 gasser - Water pump is $78 and 45 minutes. Of course It doesn't have anywhere near the power of the Dmax I sold, but since I wasn't using the Diesel to tow big shit it just didn't make sense to own it

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
My feeling is if I'm going to pay book time I'm going to pay it to the dealer. Independents have gotten out of control on there pricing .

What an odd statement ...care to elaborate ?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
3-4hrs. I usually charge 5-600 including the pump. Delco Pump from Canada. Not the China one.

grumpy88

Reaction score
What an odd statement ...care to elaborate ?

Sure . When it takes a shit in six months and I'm in havasu the dealer there is going to fix it . I'm not going to here Bob tell tell me to get it towed 300 plus miles back to a shop where he tells me it was GM or ford's fault since it was there part so I need to pay the labor any way . I'm not saying small independent shops are bad but a dealer has massive over head hence the high labor rate . Bob low over head with same labor rate equals high profit . My opinion

Runs2rch

Reaction score
When can you do it?

When are you available? I am having a rough week. My pooch is having surgery tomorrow. Will be taking care of him over the weekend. Next week? What year is yours?

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
When are you available? I am having a rough week. My pooch is having surgery tomorrow. Will be taking care of him over the weekend. Next week? What year is yours?

2005. Not in a hurry. Whenever you could do it. I can work around u

stevel

Reaction score
Sure . When it takes a shit in six months and I'm in havasu the dealer there is going to fix it . I'm not going to here Bob tell tell me to get it towed 300 plus miles back to a shop where he tells me it was GM or ford's fault since it was there part so I need to pay the labor any way . I'm not saying small independent shops are bad but a dealer has massive over head hence the high labor rate . Bob low over head with same labor rate equals high profit . My opinion

You have been going to the wrong independent shop. In over 50 year we have never told a customer that there was a labor charge if the part failed under warranty. There are great independent shops out there. Seems funny to me that someone would choose to not spend the same money with me because my over head is lower.