Reaction score
Please tell the good the bad and any problems you have had

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/thisdamnrv.241228/

Cliff notes:
This thing hates me.

What @2FORCEFULL said.

I recently heard a statement from a long-time RV traveler who had a few different DPs, before switching to a 5th wheel.

He said that the combination of the deterioration of road quality in the US and smog regulations had destroyed the luxury RV experience. The roads destroyed the entire house side of the coach, and the smog equipment destroyed the engine's dependability.

I'm looking forward to the day my RV life experience has ended. I'm thankful we did this while we were young enough to learn we don't like it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Don't own one, but worked on a bunch. Pre-Smog would be a must for me. I'd choose snowbird coach with higher miles, other than low miles and left in Quartzite or Florida. Seen dried out stuff, and rusty stuff...both look perfect though from the outside or inside...the underside though:oops: Hardware gets oxidized, or Airbags get dried out and brittle plastic.

Follow the directions on the levelers. Twice this year I've "reassembled" rear bags from people overextending them. It's not hard to fix, but it is a little scary.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I’ve had great experiences with the diesel pushers. HATED driving our gasser Motorhome. The pushers are a much nicer driving experience.

As far as issues goes… what year models are you considering?

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I owned a 43’ Monaco. Had the 500 Cummins ISM with the world transmission ( pre DEF) Owned it for over ten years and 60 K miles . Never had a major issue. Only issue was the diesel Onan Generator had a problem with the winding and needed to be fixed. Cost about $800 to fix. The rest was normal oil and filters and maintenance. It was quite reliable. And I was very happy overall.

btw. Basically everything on the coach was automated, so leveling, slides inverter, ect were all one touch of the button. The Tag axle was able to be raised for tight quarters turning and also automatically repositioned at a certain speed. It also had a real Jake brake that allowed me to almost never even touch the brakes on the way down the grade.

Last edited:

X Hoser

Reaction score
https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/thisdamnrv.241228/

Cliff notes:
This thing hates me.

What @2FORCEFULL said.

I recently heard a statement from a long-time RV traveler who had a few different DPs, before switching to a 5th wheel.

He said that the combination of the deterioration of road quality in the US and smog regulations had destroyed the luxury RV experience. The roads destroyed the entire house side of the coach, and the smog equipment destroyed the engine's dependability.

I'm looking forward to the day my RV life experience has ended. I'm thankful we did this while we were young enough to learn we don't like it.
We’ve been full time RV’ers for 5 months and I’m over it. Not so much the RV itself but not having my “stuff” is bad! No garage and no tools to speak of. New house will be done in 2 months and the RV all be up for sale! Next time you are in N. Idaho lets meet up.

beerrun

Reaction score
I’ve had great experiences with the diesel pushers. HATED driving our gasser Motorhome. The pushers are a much nicer driving experience.

As far as issues goes… what year models are you considering?
08 tiffin 50k miles

EmpirE231

Reaction score
42 phaeton
Is the 08 pre DEF? Pretty sure you’ll be happy with a coach of that caliber. I had an 07 Fleetwood discovery pre DEF… and the thing never gave me any issues. Basic service… oils, filters, tires etc. Now currently have a 2011 American coach revolution… and we love it. But that one has given me one issue with a DEF head failure. Otherwise… same regular maintenance.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
06 American Eagle 42r, c-13 cat, 525hp, 1650 ft lbs torque. Owned her since new, been an awesome coach for 56k miles.
normal stuff needs fixing, nothing a small tool box can’t fix.

4EB83E23-6C89-4531-99C6-C64A7BF03046.jpeg

BRONCOBOY

Reaction score
If your towing more than 6000# look for a two stage brake, its a big difference in stopping power

Emac

Reaction score
Had a 06 Monaco Diplomat with the 400 hp Cummins for 8 yrs. Was a great coach and never had any issues other than regular maintenance. Had it all over Western US and did a lot of desert/ Glamis trips. Actually wish I still had it as it was very comfy and I had it set up the way I wanted. Next one for me will be an Alegro bus or Phaeton. Check the rv forums as I believe some of them up to like 2013 had issues with roof meeting the side wall but was covered by Tiffin and most were fixed by the factory. Good luck with you search.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Currently have a 2008 Fleetwood Providence 40x with Cummins 360hp 1050 ft-lbs. We bought it used in 2015 with 50k miles on it. We use it and knock on wood only had 1 big issue- we lost a turbo on our way home from a weekend desert trip. A big pain in the ass finding a tow company to tow my motorhome and enclosed trailer home to a repair facility. But on the flip side it happened somewhat close to home, couldn't imagine being on a road trip somewhere far from home and having to deal with it. Aside from that, it's been a great coach- as mentioned before they all have their issues.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
What year did DEF become mandatory on MoHo’s? I’m going to be in the market for a used one down the road, and DEF Issues comes up all the time on the newer models.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Going to look at this Saturday View attachment 1178619
Seems like a good price. The tag makes it nicer to drive in winds or passing tractor trailer, keeps you driving straighter.

I would look hard on ware and tare inside as it could have been lived in. Lived in coaches don’t sell that well as the firnature and flooring are typically warn out.

srttruck

Reaction score
I had a 36' 08 Monaco with the ISL 400hp/1200tq, was a great coach never had any major problems. Roadmaster chassis was stable (8 air bags) but did ride a bit stiffer than a freightliner. The 36 was a nice floorplan with 4 slides and easy to get in most places.

srttruck

Reaction score
What year did DEF become mandatory on MoHo’s? I’m going to be in the market for a used one down the road, and DEF Issues comes up all the time on the newer models.
Not sure on DEF but I believe DPF's were introduced mid 2008, tell tell sign of a DPF engine is a chrome tail pipe.

69hondo

Reaction score
Thats a nice looking coach.
We have been kicking this around for the last two years and are finally moving forward. Just listed our gasser and are currently loosely shopping for one. I know what I want so just waiting for the right one to hit the market.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
If you don’t know too much about them I would have at least a roof inspection done. You can really start to spend a lot of money in repairs if you don’t know what you’re looking at.

Would 100% stay away from the DEF stuff. You can get some really nice stuff from the 05-08ish era.

Another reason I would stay with that era is the build quality. Don’t get me wrong the new tiffins are beautiful but they are just not as solid imo.

It’s nice to have all the doo dads and electronic stuff…..when it works.

Also a major cost would be your tires and batteries. Unfortunately now days they cost a left and a right nut sadly. So I would keep that into consideration if you would need to replace them.

I would stay with a Tiffin, Country Coach, Monaco a higher end brand. They seem to hold up a little bit better. I have an older country coach and it’s been great to me. Knock on wood…

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Going to look at this Saturday View attachment 1178619
Looks like a nice unit. Tiffin is a great company they stand behind everything they do it seems. Most of the newer ones got rid of the whole propane and everything is electric now. Fridge, stove, water heater which for me I’m not a fan of as I primarily dry camp. It’s plenty doable with electric as many guys in our group do it with no problems just I prefer propane. Also the hydronic heating I like a lot more than the propane. Took a couple trips to get used to but alot more efficient it seems.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
This would be our 4th MH 1st pusher
I would say with a 42 tag phaeton it's not going to win any races, but will be 10x better than any gasser.

You will want to check under all the slide outs when opened.... Issues have come up with what is called "wet bay" where water seeps to the floor of the slide and rots it out, causing the slide rollers to break through it and dropping the slide to one side.... My father is having his repaired on his 12' Allegro Bus (sink side slide).

Last edited:

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Great looking coach you are looking at. Best of luck! Another thing, don’t forget, these motors are also able to be tuned . I had mine tuned and was 550 hp and 1700 ft/ lbs when done. It also picked another MPG even when towing. Stock was 30 lbs boost, the tune was 35. Just seemed to make the whole motor run more efficiently.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Who does these tunes on the big Cat motors?

Great looking coach you are looking at. Best of luck! Another thing, don’t forget, these motors are also able to be tuned . I had mine tuned and was 550 hp and 1700 ft/ lbs when done. It also picked another MPG even when towing. Stock was 30 lbs boost, the tune was 35. Just seemed to make the whole motor run more efficiently.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
We’ve been full time RV’ers for 5 months and I’m over it. Not so much the RV itself but not having my “stuff” is bad! No garage and no tools to speak of. New house will be done in 2 months and the RV all be up for sale! Next time you are in N. Idaho lets meet up.
Angie just returned from Sprit Lake over the holiday. We'll keep in touch. @angiebaby

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Not sure on DEF but I believe DPF's were introduced mid 2008, tell tell sign of a DPF engine is a chrome tail pipe.
Yes, on the DPF. I caved in and bought 2008 with the DPF and I believe it is the root of my engine problems.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
08 Monaco safari cheetah m36skt

Cat c7 350hp-860tq
Tows 10k

Gets 7.3-8.0 mpg while towing 5500 lbs

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
To the OP..........

Thats a BITCHEN coach.... $20K overpriced in my eyes, but if it checks the boxes, but..................... YOLO!!!!!! I like the single couch setup. Gives room for a GOOD air mattress opposite the couch (the pull out beds suck) and then deflate/hide it during the day and you have LOTS of room.

If you're looking to spend 100K, pay the money to have it checked out.

brgrcru

Reaction score
2005 alpha 38’
Little cat c7 300hp 880 tq Allison
Plenty of power for us
Liking it more and more tall 7’6” ceilings
If your tall it’s perfect
Queen bed not a fan
Built very well
EA75A658-FDC1-455D-B6D9-7D545242C47A.jpeg

Daytona47

Reaction score
2005 fleet wood excursion.
350 Cat c7
Allison auto
We have owned it for 5 years.
I have had to do the following
Tires
Turbo went out at 40k miles
Exhaust manifold cracked
New radiator
Water pump
Fridge cooling unit

We use it a lot but it has been a money pit. It’s for sale as well.
42FD3B90-77EF-401E-92E1-A0CAE1860109.jpeg

boatnam2

Reaction score
2005 fleet wood excursion.
350 Cat c7
Allison auto
We have owned it for 5 years.
I have had to do the following
Tires
Turbo went out at 40k miles
Exhaust manifold cracked
New radiator
Water pump
Fridge cooling unit

We use it a lot but it has been a money pit. It’s for sale as well.
View attachment 1178904
That's what would scare me, trying to buy a baller rig when its 20 years old could be an expensive lesson, not one i want to learn at 60, 40 maybe.

Daytona47

Reaction score
That's what would scare me, trying to buy a baller rig when its 20 years old could be an expensive lesson, not one i want to learn at 60, 40 maybe.
I am probably 15-20k in repairs and maintenance in the past 5 years (the turbo and radiator was a big one which I don’t think happens often and we tow all the time). I have friends with new coaches that have a lot of problems to but are usually covered under warranty, but they also have a $2000 payment. 🤷🏽‍♂️

69hondo

Reaction score
I am probably 15-20k in repairs and maintenance in the past 5 years (the turbo and radiator was a big one which I don’t think happens often and we tow all the time). I have friends with new coaches that have a lot of problems to but are usually covered under warranty, but they also have a $2000 payment. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Did something go through the radiator?

Daytona47

Reaction score
Did something go through the radiator?
I have a ranch that has a mile dirt road to get to. There is a oil over flow hose that sticks out the bottom of the motor right infront of the fan blades. Dust gets kicked up from the back of the coach and sticks to the radiator. Drops of oil get sucked up by the blades and stick to the radiator along with dirt. I was chasing over heating issues for ever and learned that dirt roads and diesel pushers don’t mix! The radiator was so clogged it had to be replaced. I believe this caused most of my issues. We use the coach to rodeo out of and everywhere we go is dusty. To combat this I extended that over flow blow by hose out past the coach this helped tremendously. I also pressure wash/ blow out the radiator every trip. I have had no issues with heat now.

69hondo

Reaction score
I have a ranch that has a mile dirt road to get to. There is a oil over flow hose that sticks out the bottom of the motor right infront of the fan blades. Dust gets kicked up from the back of the coach and sticks to the radiator. Drops of oil get sucked up by the blades and stick to the radiator along with dirt. I was chasing over heating issues for ever and learned that dirt roads and diesel pushers don’t mix! The radiator was so clogged it had to be replaced. I believe this caused most of my issues. We use the coach to rodeo out of and everywhere we go is dusty. To combat this I extended that over flow blow by hose out past the coach this helped tremendously. I also pressure wash/ blow out the radiator every trip. I have had no issues with heat now.
oh ok. That makes a lot of sense.
My buddy has a rear radiator DP and he has had to do the radiator twice because something from the road went through it so I was just curious.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I had a $25k repair bill before I even got ours home. It has been death by a thousand cuts ever since. Someone will get a nice rig at a great price when I fix everything, but I will sell it on a consignment lot, so I never have to look the buyer in the eye.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I had a $25k repair bill before I even got ours home. It has been death by a thousand cuts ever since. Someone will get a nice rig at a great price when I fix everything, but I will sell it on a consignment lot, so I never have to look the buyer in the eye.
Ha! I guess i can for go the lets see pics lol

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I don't have one, but I want one in the future.

Looking for a specific coach. Early - Mid 2000's Beaver.

Must be big

Must be brown

Got dibbs on this plate

1670530941138.png

For the one person I encounter on the road that gets it......it will be awesome