WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Diesel pusher owners

69hondo

Reaction score
Did you guys up you license to Class B non commercial when you moved to a diesel pusher in CA.

I wasnt even thinking about this but a buddy said it was CA law because of weight and or length. I got on the good old DMV website and sure as shit anything over 26000lbs or 40ft needs a Class B non comercial.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Did you guys up you license to Class B non commercial when you moved to a diesel pusher in CA.

I wasnt even thinking about this but a buddy said it was CA law because of weight and or length. I got on the good old DMV website and sure as shit anything over 26000lbs or 40ft needs a Class B non comercial.

You think all those retired guys buying DP are getting these..... Same with triple axle trailers. Maybe 1 out of 50,000 have one.

Riverbottom

Reaction score

You are doing the right thing. Had a customer in an accident years ago, ( not his fault ) was prosecuted for manslaughter because he did not have the proper endorsement on his license.

Icky

Reaction score
I've been considering getting my class A non commercial but I'm lazy and just want to pay someone to walk me through the process

JFMFG

Reaction score

Glad I’m 39ft lol

JFMFG

Reaction score
You are still overweight, if you have any assets, do yourself a favor and get a license. A liberal in a Prius will own your house etc.
True and I’m for sure over weight with a 20ft trailer behind me

zhandfull

Reaction score
I read it as any housecar (motorhome) 40’ or less is good with class C license regardless of GVWR.

Trailer under 10k behind same motorhome above still good for class C license.

D090172A-626D-4B86-AB47-72D67977F00E.png

Last edited:

outboard_256

Reaction score
Everyone I know has a Class A, but most had the class A before getting a motorhome. I don't know anyone with a class B.

X Hoser

Reaction score
My understanding it requires a Non-Commericial Class A license. My insurance agent told me it I were to be involved in a accident my insurance may not cover if I was not licensed correctly.

69hondo

Reaction score
Yeah I think I will end up getting a class B non commercial.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Still rockin the class c. Play dumb is my moto, feel like it’s stupid when most of the people with class a don’t know how to drive a truck worth a shit anyways.

I been hearing all these horror stories for years but dont have any buddies or know of anyone that’s got hassled or even seen a rv pulled over. Just my experience

Ladsm

Reaction score
I had a 38' Diesel Pusher for years towing a 22' box trailer and was just under 65' long. Never got hassled by a cop. I know a person with 95' of show hauler and stacker trailer with a Class C license and never pulled over. He makes the semis look short at the truck stops. Glamis folks know his Green Machine at the HP Wars Drags on big weekends

merc_400r

Reaction score
Still rockin the class c. Play dumb is my moto, feel like it’s stupid when most of the people with class a don’t know how to drive a truck worth a shit anyways.

I been hearing all these horror stories for years but dont have any buddies or know of anyone that’s got hassled or even seen a rv pulled over. Just my experience

I think one of the worries is Insurance will deny claims if you don't have the correct licese.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
I think one of the worries is Insurance will deny claims if you don't have the correct licese.
I asked my GEICO agent and asked if it’s required for me to have a class A or anything other than a C and she said I’m good to go with what I have. Luckily it was on a recorded line LOL

Singleton

Reaction score
My agent said, your renewal risk goes up if an accident occurs.
And it is on US to inform you when your DL might be out of class.

I have tried twice to get my non-commercial class A in CA. Attempt 1, I was failed since I showed up with a trailed stamped under 10k. Attempt 2, I was failed since I drove the dump trailer (GVW of 12k) to the DMV for the test. Had to have my buddy after his work day was done, come get his trailer at the DMV. They make it such a PIA.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Buddy at work just sold his old enclosed trailer and bought a new one with 12k GVWR. Think I caught him by surprise when I told him he better get a class A license. 😁

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Yeah I think I will end up getting a class B non commercial.
I think the B will cover the Motorhome alone over 40’… but if your trailer behind the moho is over 10k lbs… then you need another type of license? IDK… they make it complicated.

My motorhome identifies as 32’, were measuring wheelbase right? lol

240Hallett

Reaction score
Regarding the insurance side of it, do they not cover you if you’re doing it wrong or break the law? For instance your going 90 or intoxicated or under-licensed/over length?

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Nevada has the same requirement.

Montana . . . . . . . . . . . . does not 😁

spark2678

Reaction score
43' Tag with 24' stacker. I have a class A non commercial which covers a Class B. It's peace of mind.

Last edited:

hallettheck

Reaction score
For insurance reason…got a class B…after selling m/h….kept doing physical, to keep license current. Don’t want to go thru the hassle again with DMV. Glad I did, cause lost my mind and bought another forty footer.

brgrcru

Reaction score
I have a commercial class A
So I’m good
Amazing what you have to know and All the procedures with air brakes . That you don’t, have to know, with a pusher or puller Moho, with air brakes .

For me , I think. you should have some type of endorsement for chugging along at 30-40 k lbs.
at 60–70 feet length .
Just makes sense
All I can say is make sure your front tires are in great condition at all times . And hold on to that wheel .
Front wheel blow outs are no joke and can cause death

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
A Diesel Pusher less than 40' can pull a 10k trailer without a Non Commercial endorsement however you get 65 feet total so likely even a 20' box trailer will be to long. The DP would be weight exempt at that length but the trailer cannot exceed 10k.

No 40' Motorhome is 40'. My 30' Class C is 31 1/2 feet.

Last edited: