WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Diesel repair shop OC

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
Looking for a diesel repair shop for my Duramax in the central OC area. Started the truck this morning had a slow crank but started then reved up a little on its own then check engine light then limp mode. Had something similar happen last year and it was determined a electrical draw. Robinsons replaced the instrument cluster and all was fine until today. Might have to have it towed as well

Your ad here

Reaction score
Be careful with Buds. When he first started out on Via Fabricante he was good but after a few years his shop just started charging up the ass and there was some unusual charges on the invoices.

Rogers Hopeful

Reaction score
Be careful with Buds. When he first started out on Via Fabricante he was good but after a few years his shop just started charging up the ass and there was some unusual charges on the invoices.
I dealt with them when they were in Mission Viejo on Via Fabricante and in huntington beach. My dad took his Excursion to both shops. I took my truck to get its first oil change in huntington beach and it seemed expensive at $190. still cheaper than the dealership at $225. I change the oil myself now for under $100.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
Thanks guys Abco can get me in Friday. Auto and diesel service said Thursday so it’s between them two. Bud’s pretty much said drop it off and we’ll get to it when we can. I’ll see what pans out. Gonna run a obd scanner and see if it’s something simple. Changed out batteries and idles fine but check engine light is still on and kind of shakes a little and is still in limp mode

havasubum

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a 6.0 diesel repair shop in Temecula or surrounding area? I'm having a no start when the truck is hot.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a 6.0 diesel repair shop in Temecula or surrounding area? I'm having a no start when the truck is hot.
Diesel Tech in San Jacinto. Loren is a great guy. Look them up. Lots of articles and was involved with the local PSD forum, Socaps, when it was active.

Last edited:

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
I took my Kodiak to Domestic Diesel in Chino. They had a ton of trucks there, ford, chevy, dodge. They have different techs for each brand. They were pricey but they got my truck running solid. Dealership quoted me $10k. They fixed it for $6k and it wasn't even the issue that the dealership said it was

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
It’s odd what some bad batteries can do. Lol Thanks team Robinson Automotive for the troubleshooting over the phone. Best in the industry. Swapped out for new batteries and runs like a champ. Jim is a life saver. Darrel always said if you don’t have enough juice in the batteries the electronics won’t run correctly.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
It’s odd what some bad batteries can do. Lol Thanks team Robinson Automotive for the troubleshooting over the phone. Best in the industry. Swapped out for new batteries and runs like a champ. Jim is a life saver. Darrel always said if you don’t have enough juice in the batteries the electronics won’t run correctly.
Make sure your alternator is putting out enough amps. Might be time to upgrade alternator.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
If you need an alternator rebuilt and upgraded , these guys will do it for $125. I just had my Excursion diesel alternator done to 190 amps. Kickass guys and really know their stuff. They are in Santa Ana and will do it n a couple of hours.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
If you need an alternator rebuilt and upgraded , these guys will do it for $125. I just had my Excursion diesel alternator done to 190 amps. Kickass guys and really know their stuff. They are in Santa Ana and will do it n a couple of hours.

Wife has a appointment in the area might just do it tomorrow just for piece of mind.

WYRD

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with cp4 injection pump failure in the duramax lml trucks? Had a shop quote me $10k to replace it or $12k adapted to a CP3 pump... seems steep either way but I don't know🤷🤦

Last edited:

Mototrig

Reaction score
I dealt with them when they were in Mission Viejo on Via Fabricante and in huntington beach. My dad took his Excursion to both shops. I took my truck to get its first oil change in huntington beach and it seemed expensive at $190. still cheaper than the dealership at $225. I change the oil myself now for under $100.
I went to buds for my 7.3 back in 2012. It took him 2 weeks to check 5 perfectly good injectors and some other bullshit when the problem was a simple IPR. I asked him several times for an IPR duty cycle test which would have taken him all of 15 minutes and proved what the issue was. Costed me $2k. Never again.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with cp4 injection pump failure in the duramax lml trucks? Had a shop quote me $10k to replace it or $12k adopted to a CP3 pump... seems steep either way but I don't know🤷🤦
$10k is a good price for what's involved. I know, what a shitty thing to say.

The expense comes from the distributed damage of the roller followers in the pump lifters. Because this is a return fuel system the shrapnel heads to the injector and then the tank. From there some say the debris can get back into the CP4 Again because the Duramax has no lift pump. It uses the injection pump for sucking fuel from the tank. Debris caused screens and fuel filter to plug, CP4 runs dry, and everything is screwed.

My Ocean Boat partner had this happen on his 2015 Durmax Dually. He spent $15k at the dealer who claimed some warranty would be available even though he was over 100k miles. In the end he paid the entire bill. Ford has a class action lawsuit over it and Cummins for 2022 went back to the CP3 and are retrofitting failure 2018-2021 trucks. The others are still using it so unfortunately your going to get another one.

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with cp4 injection pump failure in the duramax lml trucks? Had a shop quote me $10k to replace it or $12k adopted to a CP3 pump... seems steep either way but I don't know🤷🤦

Did yours fail and thats the quote you got? I just bought a 2016 duramax and have been considering putting a CP3 on it before it fails. I thought i read that it was about $2-3k to install

WYRD

Reaction score
Did yours fail and thats the quote you got? I just bought a 2016 duramax and have been considering putting a CP3 on it before it fails. I thought i read that it was about $2-3k to install
Yes had a limp mode and when it was shut off it turned in to a no start. Pulled the filter and found some metal checked the 1st regulator and metal there too so pump is toast. 12k is a tough nut to do right now but looks like the going rate from what I've found

WYRD

Reaction score
$10k is a good price for what's involved. I know, what a shitty thing to say.

The expense comes from the distributed damage of the roller followers in the pump lifters. Because this is a return fuel system the shrapnel heads to the injector and then the tank. From there some say the debris can get back into the CP4 Again because the Duramax has no lift pump. It uses the injection pump for sucking fuel from the tank. Debris caused screens and fuel filter to plug, CP4 runs dry, and everything is screwed.

My Ocean Boat partner had this happen on his 2015 Durmax Dually. He spent $15k at the dealer who claimed some warranty would be available even though he was over 100k miles. In the end he paid the entire bill. Ford has a class action lawsuit over it and Cummins for 2022 went back to the CP3 and are retrofitting failure 2018-2021 trucks. The others are still using it so unfortunately your going to get another one.
Thanks pretty much sums it up. Going to spend a few extra bucks and adapt it to the cp3 so it doesn't happen again 🤑😔

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
How many miles did you have? Did you run a lift pump on it? I fear this all the time. I should just do the conversion before it's too late.

WYRD

Reaction score
How many miles did you have? Did you run a lift pump on it? I fear this all the time. I should just do the conversion before it's too late.
Just over 100 k no lift pump. It's one of my work trucks so not a hundred percent sure on quality of fuel that's been put into it. But we do regular maintenance on it and fuel filters changed about every 10000 miles. I know 3-4K dollars is a lot of money but I sure wish I would have spent that before having to cough over 12K

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I have 145 with a lift pump. I'm crazy about changing filters. At this point it's a ticking time bomb. I think I'll have to do the swap.