WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Different Persp

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
A18A55E7-6D60-4A1F-AAE6-6359D4E0D337.jpeg

It’s weird to think how much life has changed in as little as ten years.. In this fast paced era we are living in full of electronics / over stimulation / and out of control economies as work loads..

This virus (in some cases) has really given us an opportunity to slow down and be with our children.. Do things you wouldn’t normally do, and spend some real time as a family unit.

While as adults it’s a turd sandwich.. It can be some of the most memorable times for our kids.

I don’t know what comes out of this, but I for one am enjoying the family dinners, spending time with family, and even something so simple as playing a board game.

I hope everyone takes sometime during the slowdown and spends it with their loved ones.. Call an old friend you haven’t talked to in awhile, call your parents if you still have them etc..

I know everyone is stressed out, possibly nervous about the virus or even the future, god knows I am too.

I got to spend weeks with Stacy’s grandfather which I have enjoyed immensely. Got to see my kids do little things for the first time things happen every week but I never notice because I’m always busy)..

Even the flowers at Chernobyl smell good.. (although I really wouldn’t recommend smelling them). The point was Dint forget the little ones.. They don’t know what’s going on, and some have the opportunity to make this time a special moment in their life..

I think I’m gonna make a couch fort with my youngest daughter tomorrow.

Last edited:

wash11

Reaction score
View attachment 863984

It’s weird to think how much life has changed in as little as ten years.. In this fast paced era we are living in full of electronics / over stimulation / and out of control economies as work loads..

This virus (in some cases) has really given us an opportunity to slow down and be with our children.. Do things you wouldn’t normally do, and spend some real time as a family unit.

While as adults it’s a turd sandwich.. It can be some of the most memorable times for our kids.

I don’t know what comes out of this, but I for one am enjoying the family dinners, spending time with family, and even something so simple as playing a board game.

I hope everyone takes sometime during the slowdown and spends it with their loved ones.. Call an old friend you haven’t talked to in awhile, call your parents if you still have them etc..

I know everyone is stressed out, possibly nervous about the virus or even the future, god knows I am too.

I got to spend weeks with Stacy’s grandfather which I have enjoyed immensely. Got to see my kids do little things for the first time things happen every week but I never notice because I’m always busy)..

Even the flowers at Chernobyl smell good.. (although I really wouldn’t recommend smelling them). The point was Dint forget the little ones.. They don’t know what’s going on, and some have the opportunity to make this time a special moment in their life..

I think I’m gonna make a couch fort with my youngest daughter tomorrow.

Word.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I told my kids the same thing- We are living through a major point in history. And even as bad as it feels right now- one day we are all going to look back and remember that this was one of the best times we spent together as a family.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
our Granddaughters spent the night last Friday.... GrammyB ... made a fort inside the house... the 3 of them slept in the fort.... my Honey said.... at 2 o'clock the 3 y/o raised her head and was staring at GrammyB, my honey was still hoping she'd go back to sleep... finally looked at her... "Everly, what do you need?" Everly says... I LOVE YOU GRAMMY!...
20200408_060221.jpg

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
My son is spending quality time with his two boys, the wife and I are getting a chance to sit and talk while I’m working from home. It has for the first time in years slowed us down and made us regroup and plan more. This has made us look at what’s really important and what’s not. A little humble pie if you will.

sirbob

Reaction score
Our next door nieghbor kid had an absolute melt down yesterday - screaming about he can’t take it any longer and needs to get out.

My son is pissed that he is trying to figure out some things that he would have learned in the lab at class but now he is on his own trying to learn these things so he can complete a project that is due and he is worried he is doing it wrong and his grade will be bad.

When your 8 everything is fun...

Wedgy

Reaction score
Humbling thread. Heart wrenching times. Reach Deep Stand Strong Hold each other close. Daily.

It is not a stretch to say, on RDP. The Asylum is a better place. ? The Inmates.

Haven't been here long, learn alot every day. LMAO every day. Closer ties to SoCal, where my Son is.
Hadn't seen him, or Sissy for 6 years. Made it there, and back safe, before lockdown.

An Inmate posted up a thread about a race in Parker. I got a Wild Hair, and spent the entire month of February with Brandon, and my Family out West in Van Diego. Met alot of nice people. Caught the ADBA Drags in Parker. Turbos and Nitrous and Beer!
Awesome camping at River Island SP. Thanks Inmates!

The Nightmare will pass. Live the Dream!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Our next door nieghbor kid had an absolute melt down yesterday - screaming about he can’t take it any longer and needs to get out.

My son is pissed that he is trying to figure out some things that he would have learned in the lab at class but now he is on his own trying to learn these things so he can complete a project that is due and he is worried he is doing it wrong and his grade will be bad.

Your son is throwing a fit as well. When you are in your early twenties everything is fun.. lol

For the record my son had a meltdown yesterday over online work submital and something he jacked up. :D

Bucketlist

Reaction score
Dave, thanks for posting this positive and insightful message that I believe will prove to be true for many of us when this all calms down. I look forward to reading the posts on this site every day. Some are hilarious, some raise my eyebrows and some really connect with me. We are a very diverse group for sure and this website provides a gathering place for us to stay connected.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My wife had commented last week sometime, that people were acting like families. From our windows you can see families riding bikes, or walking as a group down the road. By all means, it's still "social distancing".
Sadly, most of these "family units" are out here visiting grandparents or parents. Out here from other places to weather the storm I guess...
Either way, there are a lot of family meals, and time shared with family that would otherwise just be wasted at work. Brings to mind that saying, "When dying, no one ever wishes they'd spent more time at work."

HBCraig

Reaction score
Very true. I travel a lot with work, a lot. I slow the travel down in the spring because I coach an 18U softball team and my boy is in HS baseball in a big program. I am responsible for getting my softball girls recruited into college. Prior to this virus, we would workout and train 6 days a week.

That being said, the family time has been great. Bike rides, walks, lots of BBQ's and playing sports in the street.

We will look back at this and miss it.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I have been struggling internally. I feel lucky to have my job and that i can work from home but i really want to spend more time with my kids. Problem is my work load is insane right now and im logging 60+ hour weeks, then its getting dinner ready cleanup and bed. I.am going to make some time.

JD D05

Reaction score
So I have 3 kids. My 4 year old boy is having the time of his life. My 12 year old girl is doing pretty good but really misses her cheer team etc. My 16 year old is having the hardest time by far. She misses her friends and also misses her cheer team, she is 16 and is what it is at that age...a major portion of her life is friends. My 2 daughters cheer on the same team, the team is very good and this was the last year they could do it together. It really sucks they can't finish the year off, they had a few bids at the major comps.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

When you are your sons age he can ask on rdp or YouTube it.. lol. I’m sure we can get him the answer. (Seriously if he needs help just tell him to start a thread! )

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Fortunately (or unfortunately, just which window your looking in...LOL) our Daughter, SIL, and two grand-kids moved in with us just before the corona 19 storm hit. My Daughter is a librarian for Nixon Elementary school and has both kids daily assignments posted on the fridge. My grandson (5) was bummed when his mom told him there would be no more school this year and her daughter (12) was really bummed that there will be no 6th grade graduation ceremony. We are planning a private special event for her though which should be a hit. SIL works from home 50% of the time as well. Me, I still go to work everyday and my wife is trying to coop with all of this as we have not had anyone living with us in over 10 years...she is going a little stir crazy at times but in the end it's all good because family is all that really matters.

91895286_10216011186009372_2550976128739180544_n.jpg

sirbob

Reaction score
When you are your sons age he can ask on rdp or YouTube it.. lol. I’m sure we can get him the answer. (Seriously if he needs help just tell him to start a thread! )

I actually told him yesterday to YouTube it!

That said - people like to learn differently. He seems to like learning in a group and talking through it.

Your ad here

Reaction score
The Southern California grind. I hope what people learn from this after everything has passed is to slow down on the hustle and live a life with your family and even yourself. Time is priceless and irreversible.

copterzach

Reaction score
Really enjoying the time with our kids. Still working quite a bit, but no more than usual. Our 9 year old daughter misses all her friends. But she can text them and FaceTime. Our 4 year old son is loving it. Misses his buddies, but him and I are doing all types of stuff. Took him to the ranch this week fishing, went turkey hunting. Just doing boy stuff.

And the time with my wife been great. And the sex....

Like a couple of teenagers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gqchris

Reaction score
I have been struggling internally. I feel lucky to have my job and that i can work from home but i really want to spend more time with my kids. Problem is my work load is insane right now and im logging 60+ hour weeks, then its getting dinner ready cleanup and bed. I.am going to make some time.

This is my problem right now. Im in IT and trying to walk grandmas and clueless people how to work remotely. They cant even click a zoom meeting link, let alone figure out where the volume is for their speakers, if they even have speakers on their 1996 Packard Bell PC! Im becoming really fucking grouchy and Im up at 5am and log off 8pm or so. My wife has about had it with me. My back is blown out from being in chair.

But then I feel lucky to still be working and im trying to find a balance. When my daughter asks me to play “Yetti in my Spaghetti” last night,at first, I just blurted out “sorry sweetie”. But then i forced myself up and joined her and wife in some board game time. Felt good.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Excellent post RD.
This is what I was reaching for way back in the beginning of this when I suggested we get our children and, in my case, grandkids, to create a real, tangible memory book they can keep forever that documents their memories of the moment of history we are all living through right now. Doing so hits a number of things that need to happen, so I will repeat myself a bit here. Naturally these will look different for kids of dIfferent ages...but that is what we are trying to capture, the moment in time from their perspective, where they are in life.
We need to make sure we are answering the questions they pose to us with real answers. Ideally, they write down the question and you write down the answer. It brings a very personal touch to the memory book. If they don't write yet you writ it down for them, and then your answer.
The pictures we take...the ones they ask for, and we take, and then print, and then put in the book.
The newspaper articles we cut and clip, and discuss them when age appropriate.
Documenting those family meals with a pic, and the tossing a ball around, or the bike ride, or whatever we do with them. Create a visual memory of daily life as we live it. Pictures...not the kind stuck in a camera forever, the kind you look at in a scrapbook, are worth a thousand words.
These are the way we, and they, adapt to the challenge, and create that record, that very personal record, of how our family rose to the occasion and did what was necessary.
How we pulled together, as a family, as a community, as a state and as a nation. That may sound corny, but if we set the cynicism that permeates our culture aside, and look at it again...that is what many of us are doing.
In 1992 when Southern California burned and I was part of the law enforcement response that was activated from all over the state my sons were 8 and 4. Both had seen the news and when I had to tell them I was going, they were afraid. I had Cindy get me 4 disposable cameras. I took them with me to LA.
I used three of them.
When I got home we had the film developed, (yeah, I am old) and I sat down and built two scrapbooks for my sons. I put my personal thoughts in them, and then put them away. A few years later when they were in high school and they heard the standard line from inaccurate sources in classrooms, those books were brought out and the truth was on display.
We are living this.
I am doing my best to give my grandchildren a respect and love for history, and this is a great way to do it, and to build the bonds with our kids, answer their questions and learn what they are feeling and thinking. All it can do is strengthen the bond we have with them.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Some really great posts. RD, probably one of your best ever.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I agree that it has brought many people closer in a personal way. We see it with even our neighbors who have barely ever looked at one another prior to this event. Maybe it'll make some less weary about their own neighborhood.
If I have to recall this event in 2030 I will remember Dave Johnsons FIL did a shit load of home projects for him, he ate loads of decadent meals and he got a rifle pointed at him while out with his FIL on the kids' SxS.😁😁😁

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Enjoying watching my kids, be kids.

AD6E2DAF-1925-4572-A86A-3FE0A7CA76F7.jpeg

Jimmyv

Reaction score
The girls having Princess parties.
Unfortunately this is my 3yo son Nico.
Whatever, he’s having fun.
His helmet was a nice touch.

D46F6788-5DE1-4E49-AFD0-060C0445FB77.jpeg

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I haven’t seen my kids in over a month 😢 their step dad is a sheriff and was exposed to someone that tested positive (his captain). Due to my wife’s compromised immune system we can’t risk them bringing it here. Hopefully in another couple weeks I will get to see them and have them stay with now for a couple weeks.

gqchris

Reaction score
I haven’t seen my kids in over a month 😢 their step dad is a sheriff and was exposed to someone that tested positive (his captain). Due to my wife’s compromised immune system we can’t risk them bringing it here. Hopefully in another couple weeks I will get to see them and have them stay with now for a couple weeks.

Sorry to hear RB. Its definitely not worth risking anyones life. Good call on that one. Prayers for the Wife to be safe.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I agree that it has brought many people closer in a personal way. We see it with even our neighbors who have barely ever looked at one another prior to this event. Maybe it'll make some less weary about their own neighborhood.
If I have to recall this event in 2030 I will remember Dave Johnsons FIL did a shit load of home projects for him, he ate loads of decadent meals and he got a rifle pointed at him while out with his FIL on the kids' SxS.😁😁😁

I thought about telling the whole story. But Havasu is a small town and fuck that guy. I’m not trying to start WW3..

Thst night though I had a half a mind to go back in my big car and double down on what he was pissed about. Lol.

Most of these projects are easy.. but Everett gets a little ornery if he doesn’t have shit to work on. Today he cleaned the dryer vents.. lol

Tomororw we hang grid wall in the garage. It’s easy and I could do it quickly but he likes working on shit

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
We're making the best of the quarantine!

Backyard Camping

1586395057112.png

Teaching the kids to drive on an empty river

1586395108603.png

Introducing the kids to ping pong a'la a makeshift table....

1586395378098.png

Hanging with RDP people via Zoom.....

1586395402634.png

Jesus @GRADS........

1586395233642.png

It's an adventure. Who would have thought....(see below)

1586395288219.png

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
So what everyone is saying is there might be some good that comes out of this liberal fueled pandemic government shutdown that all you conservatives are bitching about and pointing the finger at. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to hear RB. Its definitely not worth risking anyones life. Good call on that one. Prayers for the Wife to be safe.

It’s been rough. Wife is not working right now due to her immune system (she’s a hospice RN). Haven’t seen our boys or family in some time. And wifey is cooped up in our bedroom all day going on 3 weeks due to a kitchen remodel we started before all this shit hit the fan.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It’s been rough. Wife is not working right now due to her immune system (she’s a hospice RN). Haven’t seen our boys or family in some time. And wifey is cooped up in our bedroom all day going on 3 weeks due to a kitchen remodel we started before all this shit hit the fan.

Sux Billdo.. :(. One of those zoom cocktail hours might do you guys good? Or maybe just take a drive?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score

Love the pics of the kids, setting the RV up in the driveway is a great idea.

Bill the situation with your kids....damn man that sucks big time.
I hope the time flies for you. I really do. It has been 3 months since we saw our oldest son and his wife and our grandson. They are over in the Reno area. Every time we planned a weekend trip over the hill the snow moved in. Even today, Mid April, they got foot of snow on Donner.
So we have a deal going where on Sunday we do a video call with them. The youngest is closer but we don't want to take chances so we video with them on Saturday. We had big plans to get together the desert over Easter, between the weather and the fact that they closed Sand Mountain we are just holding off.
The video calls help, but hanging up, saying goodbye... stinks. Crazy. I keep an eye on my Mom, but we stay away from each other by at least 10 ft. She is 88. I bring her food and other stuff, and leave it on the steps and retreat so she can grab the stuff.
We talk a couple times a day.
RD sounds like you and yours are getting a lot done. Tomorrow going to start digging up an irrigation line that started leaking last fall at the end of the season. I know about where it is but will have to charge the system to find it for sure, turn it into a semi-mudhole and then start clearing it for a repair. The first bill for the irrigation season came today, they turned the ditch on last week so it is gonna be a busy deal...fix the pipe, muck out the water tank, set the silt trap and drag pipe and sprinklers, because before we know it all this green is gonna turn brown, so I water to keep mowing, LOL.
At night I work on my shopping list for goodies for the Turbo S.
Ordering Eibach springs tomorrow.