WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dimmable LED shop lights

96scarab

Reaction score
Any recommendations? I’ve searched Amazon and dimmable LED is very limited. My garage is 952 sq ft with 10 foot ceilings. I need a lot more light but I want dimmable so when I’m having a beer watching tv I don’t feel like I’m in a tanning bed.

Attachments

• 51D696B4-A072-4804-9EDC-D0909B589511.jpeg
    51D696B4-A072-4804-9EDC-D0909B589511.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 0AF31AD7-D5F5-4B17-93F7-E62BA9F9199A.jpeg
    0AF31AD7-D5F5-4B17-93F7-E62BA9F9199A.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 20668943-95A2-4D70-A8CB-4CABE17FEBE2.jpeg
    20668943-95A2-4D70-A8CB-4CABE17FEBE2.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 100

Taboma

Reaction score
Any recommendations? I’ve searched Amazon and dimmable LED is very limited. My garage is 952 sq ft with 10 foot ceilings. I need a lot more light but I want dimmable so when I’m having a beer watching tv I don’t feel like I’m in a tanning bed.

These are dimmable, but will require you to perform a simple double-ended ballast by-pass. This is the method I've been using on converting my garage and shop lights, this way you eliminate any pesky future ballast problems and it only takes a couple of minutes. There's a list of compatible dimmers on this link as well as the straight forward re-wiring required. Would want the 4500 or 6000K for your garage.

96scarab

Reaction score
These are dimmable, but will require you to perform a simple double-ended ballast by-pass. This is the method I've been using on converting my garage and shop lights, this way you eliminate any pesky future ballast problems and it only takes a couple of minutes. There's a list of compatible dimmers on this link as well as the straight forward re-wiring required. Would want the 4500 or 6000K for your garage.

Would I have to buy a separate fixture for each bulb? Thanks for the link!

450grip

Reaction score
I put dimmable LED globes in a utility light string.
its 60’ long. I put a dimmer control in a metal single gang box, with a male Edison plug 🔌 for the wall on one side, and a female Edison coming out the other. Plugged in string lights, and it works perfect!

Taboma

Reaction score
Would I have to buy a separate fixture for each bulb? Thanks for the link!

Ahhh geeze, I need more coffee, pronto 😂 My bad, I have no idea why I assumed you already had 4' fluorescent strips you were retro-fitting :oops:

The proper question is ---- you've got a nice large garage shop that currently is in need of a lighting re-fresh so the lighting is adequate for a multitude of intended uses.
You can use plug in light strings, or various other plug and play products or use the opportunity to install a nice lighting upgrade. Quick and dirty or a bit more work and $$, that's only a decision you can make. As an example, although hard to see it appears you've currently got incandescent fixtures mounted on ceiling J-boxes. Those can be removed and a 4' LED fixture mounted on that same box and additional 4' strips mounted end to end to that first one --- as needed.
The other factor is, are all these garage lights on one switch, or are areas switched independently ? This will determine if you need all the LEDs dimmable, or perhaps only one where the tv is located.

OR, there's other styles of LED fixtures available, like 2' x 4', or large round, all that can be mounted to that same ceiling J-box. Here's one example, wouldn't take many of these to really light up your space. These also can mounted end to end to cover a larger area and they are dimmable. A few dollars, YES, but these are good quality and will work well and they're not throw-away junk fixtures. The question is, what do YOU want for your garage / shop ?

2x4 dimmable.JPG

hallett21

Reaction score

96scarab

Reaction score
Ahhh geeze, I need more coffee, pronto 😂 My bad, I have no idea why I assumed you already had 4' fluorescent strips you were retro-fitting :oops:

The proper question is ---- you've got a nice large garage shop that currently is in need of a lighting re-fresh so the lighting is adequate for a multitude of intended uses.
You can use plug in light strings, or various other plug and play products or use the opportunity to install a nice lighting upgrade. Quick and dirty or a bit more work and $$, that's only a decision you can make. As an example, although hard to see it appears you've currently got incandescent fixtures mounted on ceiling J-boxes. Those can be removed and a 4' LED fixture mounted on that same box and additional 4' strips mounted end to end to that first one --- as needed.
The other factor is, are all these garage lights on one switch, or are areas switched independently ? This will determine if you need all the LEDs dimmable, or perhaps only one where the tv is located.

OR, there's other styles of LED fixtures available, like 2' x 4', or large round, all that can be mounted to that same ceiling J-box. Here's one example, wouldn't take many of these to really light up your space. These also can mounted end to end to cover a larger area and they are dimmable. A few dollars, YES, but these are good quality and will work well and they're not throw-away junk fixtures. The question is, what do YOU want for your garage / shop ?

View attachment 945881
I was afraid this was going to be a royal PIA. Yes, they all operate on the same switch. I would probably need to add two j-boxes to get more light on one side of the garage. That wouldn’t be a big deal but getting access is challenging

Attachments

• 62804A10-9F64-4697-95D7-95009E634EAB.jpeg
    62804A10-9F64-4697-95D7-95009E634EAB.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 49

hallett21

Reaction score
I was afraid this was going to be a royal PIA. Yes, they all operate on the same switch. I would probably need to add two j-boxes to get more light on one side of the garage. That wouldn’t be a big deal but getting access is challenging

Do you have a crawl space above garage ceiling? Or at least 12” of space above the ceiling joists?

These fixtures only require 2” of space but 12” makes fishing the wire easier. Home Depot sells klein fish sticks.

You can change you’re existing jbox ceiling fixture to one of these. From there layout a new can every 6-8ft. You can do everything from the garage floor on a ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score

Removing and remounting new fixtures to your existing boxes ez pz --- difficulty of additional boxes depends on direction of ceiling joists and what's above the garage.
There's a lot of options available, for types and installation. I'm just tossing out ideas, which tend to be biased as a retired electrical contractor.

Taboma

Reaction score
Do you have a crawl space above garage ceiling? Or at least 12” of space above the ceiling joists?

These fixtures only require 2” of space but 12” makes fishing the wire easier. Home Depot sells klein fish sticks.

You can change you’re existing jbox ceiling fixture to one of these. From there layout a new can every 6-8ft. You can do everything from the garage floor on a ladder.

Do these carry a fire rating in the event you have living area about the garage ? I didn't see it mentioned in the specs.

hallett21

Reaction score
Do these carry a fire rating in the event you have living area about the garage ? I didn't see it mentioned in the specs.

You know I’ve never installed them in that scenario. They are rated for direct insulation contact. However not direct with spray foam but I don’t know how you would run into that situation.

IMG_6774.jpg

IMG_6775.jpg

96scarab

Reaction score

I don’t have a crawl space it’s a living area. I like the clean look of can lights

Taboma

Reaction score
I don’t have a crawl space it’s a living area. I like the clean look of can lights

If you have living area above, you need to protect the integrity of the fire rating of that garage ceiling. This requires a fire rated fixture if you're going with a recessed fixture that requires you to cut open that ceiling. Most all fire rated recessed "Can" lights have a box surrounding the fixture can, you're not going to install one of these through a 6" found opening.
Here's a couple of examples --- https://www.amazon.com/Progress-Lighting-P821-FB-Recessed-Assembly/dp/B00084W73Q

They do however make round fire rated "Old work" boxes for use with a surface mounted fixture. So again, depending on the direction of the ceiling joists, adding a box may be possible or you can always run a 1/2" emt conduit on the surface between fixtures and paint it --- about now the light strings are sounding more tempting aren't they ? 😂

hallett21

Reaction score
How about 8ft LEDs?

First one goes at existing fixture location. Then run them in a straight line. You can inter connect them so you had a 32 ft +\- line of lights.

You can even make 90 degree turns with a few fittings.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
How about 8ft LEDs?

First one goes at existing fixture location. Then run them in a straight line. You can inter connect them so you had a 32 ft +\- line of lights.

You can even make 90 degree turns with a few fittings.

Nice solution, according to the "Lowes" Metalux SLSTP instruction sheet, they come with a J-box blank cover for box mounting, hopefully the HD ones do as well as the fixture is just under 3" wide.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I like this style in garages.

I installed 14 1x4 LED flat panels in my 1450sqft garage. They replaced the original 5 1x4 fluorescents.
20201125_115439.jpg

Last edited:

81Sprint

Reaction score
I did 24 6" LED can lights in my 650 sq foot garage, don't buy them from amazon they don't last long. I have been swapping them out for the ones at Home Depot as they go out. The Home Depot lights are dimmable and have 5 different light outputs, i have mine on daylight 5000k.
garage.jpg