WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dinner on Kauai

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Hello all;
the family and I are leaving for Kauai Friday. Along with a general vacation this trip is for my wife's 40th birthday. On her birthday, we will be on the southern half of the island. Where should I take her for dinner? The budget is there to do whatever we want within reason. We are ditching the rest of the family including the kid and it will just be the two of us.

Suggestions?

Other suggestions for food and activities while there?

Never been to that island so I know nothing.

Thanks.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Waimea Canyon, Napili coast, Hanapepe, Poipu area, Kilauea Lighthouse

Street burger is a must for a meal not an incredible dinner

Never been to these but the setting should be good - Duke’s & Tidepools Grand Hyatt

CoreyD

Reaction score
Kiawe Roots for happy hour.
Pizzetta in Old Kaloa town.
Beach House for fine dining.
Da Crack for quick, but great Mexican take out.
Waikomo shave ice
Check out Napili Coast, Kauai Back Country adventures tubing.

I am jealous!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
The good news is you have some good choices that don’t have to break the bank.
Keoki’s Paradise is a good option.

For lunch (we went everyday) I highly recommend Koloa Fish Market, 3390 Poipu Road; Koloa, HI 96756

I recommend using Trip Advisor everywhere instead of Yelp

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Waimea Canyon, Napali Coast, the Fern Grotto are all cool to see.

Get a plate lunch and shaved ice. Eat a fresh coconut.

We were there almost 20 years ago for our honeymoon. There was a restaurant near Poipu called Keoke’s Paradise that we really enjoyed.
There is an old plantation with a restaurant called Gaylord’s that was really nice. We took a horse carriage ride before and got a history lesson of the island from Tony.

Ask somebody that works at the airport or car rental about things to do and places to eat.

It’s a beautiful island and I was seriously depressed having to come home.

P.S. wear sunscreen. I thought I’d get some sun on my boat ride to the Napali coast. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Take a car ride to Polihale State Park - it’s a really nice drive to an amazing beach where not many go. Bring a cooler with lunch and beverages.

I’d like to camp there for a couple days sometime

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Heading there next month too. We have not been to Kaua’i before. I will be watching for a report. [emoji267][emoji898][emoji531]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Breakfast;
The Kalaheo coffee company
Anuenue cafe Poipu
Dinner;
Marriman’s Fish House
Tide pools at Hyatt
The eating house 1849

If you like Poke’ hit the local market in Koloa
If your a water skier Try the Wailua river water skiing co.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Used to recommend the Happy Talk in Princeville, formerly the Bali Hai.
Friends report it's gone downhill and best to avoid.
348s.jpg

boatpi

Reaction score
Boat405 nailed it, see photo above. I have been to Hawaii over 75 times, Kauai is my favorite, old school Hawaii. A few miles south of The Beach House are two great public beaches, plenty of free parking, heads, just a great place with shade and picnic benches too.

76 Southwind

Reaction score
No one has mentioned the Chicken in a Barrel or Tiki Tacos , Tropical Taco or Duanes Ono Char Burger, Puka Dog. Not Dinner places but good island food.

Sandlord

Reaction score
No one has mentioned the Chicken in a Barrel or Tiki Tacos , Tropical Taco or Duanes Ono Char Burger, Puka Dog. Not Dinner places but good island food.

I go to puka dog, and Keokis Paradise at least once every trip.

boatpi

Reaction score
68441879-F018-414F-9408-89EBE57EC976.jpeg
F123A2C1-614F-4E24-8738-5BDA6CB09292.jpeg
F123A2C1-614F-4E24-8738-5BDA6CB09292.jpeg
I highly recommend a specific helicopter tour and a kayak day you will never forget either. There’s a river in Kawai that’s the only navigable river in the entire state.

they have a couple of kayak tours that leave every day figure it’s 3/4 of a day it’s lazy river and then you hike up to a hidden waterfall bring a weatherproof camera not your phone it’s fabulous .

Jack Harter helicopters is the best outfit on the island there near the airport in an old shack that’s been there since the 1960s when he began with a bell 47. They AS 350’s Doors off or doors on it’s your option it’s unforgettable go to their website do usually have a discount deal of around $200 do not leave that island without doing this tour.

they even take it to an area that appears to be a dormant volcano and you go inside plus the Jurassic Falls.

C-2

Reaction score
There two different sides on Kauai - the dry side and the wet side, which is the North Shore. The road on the North Shore was just re-opened after having been closed for 1.5 years due to the historic flood that dumped 4' of rain in 24-hours.

On the North Shore, it's rains nearly, if not everyday, but it's a warm rain and fun. With that comes mosquito's so be prepared.It's home to the wettest spot on earth!

North Shore has the best beaches, Pine Trees, Lumahai, Cannon's, Tunnels and Haena beach (my fav). The "end of the road" beach (KeEe') is great for sunsets and hanging out, and is encapsulated by a reef, so it's child-friendly. You can find the Napali Coast trail there, too. Anini Beach, more towards Kapaa (pronounced kuh paw-ah ) is the go-to snorkeling spot. "Secret Beach" too if you can find it.

Hanalei and Ching Young Village are great spots and you can find WiFi there if needed. Super expensive supermarket in Princeville.

Banana Joe's along the highway towards Kilauea, and the Kilauea Fish market on the road to the lighthouse in Kilauea.

Stock up on supplies at Costco in Lihue after you land.

We have a vacation home in Wainiha , the epicenter of the flood, and since the road was closed - I'm not sure what is still accessible on the North Shore.

I found this blog that might help: https://honupointvacationrental.com/update-kauai-road-opening-hawaii/

That's all for now, gotta get to work. Enjoy!

Singleton

Reaction score
Kauai is the “only island” - the one that keeps bringing us back

Right now that is Oahu for us with the kid attending UofH Moana.
When we visit for spring break, we plan to explore other islands.

boatpi

Reaction score
Great suggestion on Costco. And when driving up north you will come across a dip in the road with some water, be very careful, always look for rainfall on the mountain as this can be a flash flood and NO road to get back! AND gas is cheaper than CA.

Meaney77

Reaction score
If it hasnt been mentioned before, the island seems to somewhat shut down early- it did when my wife and I went on our honeymoon. Not sure about the larger resorts but we had a hard time finding much to eat after 8:00 p.m.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
We stayed at Grand Hyatt last summer. Tidepools and Dondero's were great. Ate lunch at Duke's and Kauai Beer Company in Lihue.

The beach directly in front of the Grand Hyatt was really nice and basically void of people. Poipu Beach was much busier so didn't hang out there. Stopped at a lot of beaches throughout the island. We traveled pretty much the whole island (being that it was our first visit). Didn't see the North Shore past Hanalei due to the closed road from flood damage. There is a lot to see on Kauai. Four very distinct areas of the island. We were there 7 days and rushed to see what we could (with a few days mostly hanging at or near the hotel.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
We did our honeymoon there in October and echo what everyone said. Anini beach was my favorite snorkeling spot, got to see a few turtles. When i was there the road north was still closed so we didn't get to explore much past Hanalei but have heard that tunnels is a great snorkeling spot too. Secret beach is the best kept secret on the island, if you can find it, go to it! Wife and I were able to have a nice private afternoon on the beach to ourselves.

I will say you can probably skip on the Kiluea lighthouse, it just seemed to be a bunch of bird watchers in full hiking garb for the 1/8th mile walk to take pictures of birds, wife and i felt really out of place in bathing suits.

Our favorite restaurant was the Lava Lava Beach Club in Wailua, they had a great happy hour and we were able to eat pretty affordably.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Thanks all! Some great suggestions on here. I will be trying to make reservation tonight after double checking our location for the big day.

Keep the ideas coming, I really appreciate it all.
Things we currently have on the agenda:
Flight- fixed wing as it is half the cost and all can go together vs rotor
several days kayaking
snorkel
Scuba
Possibly tubing on the canals (4 year old is not 5 yet)

PRIMO

Reaction score
Kauai is known as Hawaii North & has somehow removed itself from the mainstream tourism you find with the other islands / infrastructure has been deliberately suppressed / two lane highway the length of the island - no structure Higher than a coconut tree
Population 60k . DO NOT DRIVE @ NIGHT the hwy between airport & Kapaa is known as BLOOD ALLEY
Enjoy and be SAFE....

PRIMO

Reaction score
Also when ever you go into the water regardless what part of the island you visit you take a surfboard with you
The rip currents on Kauai take many lives so be smart... BRUDDAH

Wasted seamen

Reaction score
I'm in kauai now and just ate at Keoki's Paradise recommended by a local tour guide which is in Koloa on Southside. Try it out u wont be disappointed. Also if u rented a 4x4 jeep go to Polihale State Park (beach) to watch the sunset on the west shore, u can drive on the beach just make sure to air down your tires,its free and they allow bonfires. This is the best place to watch sunset almost had the beach to ourselves!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
If it hasnt been mentioned before, the island seems to somewhat shut down early- it did when my wife and I went on our honeymoon. Not sure about the larger resorts but we had a hard time finding much to eat after 8:00 p.m.

Exactly...

Make sure you plan on dinner at 5pm. I remember NOTHING being open after 8pm!!!

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Thanks all! Some great suggestions on here. I will be trying to make reservation tonight after double checking our location for the big day.

Keep the ideas coming, I really appreciate it all.
Things we currently have on the agenda:
Flight- fixed wing as it is half the cost and all can go together vs rotor
several days kayaking
snorkel
Scuba
Possibly tubing on the canals (4 year old is not 5 yet)

how was the trip?

Times Like These

Reaction score
Captain Andy’s zodiac tours of the Nepali coast is a must.

Sunset at Beach House restaurant is very nice.

Island helicopter tours is the only outfit allowed to land at the Jurassic Falls. Definitely worth the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I'm in kauai now and just ate at Keoki's Paradise recommended by a local tour guide which is in Koloa on Southside. Try it out u wont be disappointed. Also if u rented a 4x4 jeep go to Polihale State Park (beach) to watch the sunset on the west shore, u can drive on the beach just make sure to air down your tires,its free and they allow bonfires. This is the best place to watch sunset almost had the beach to ourselves!

Yep, Polihale State Beach is awesome. You don't need a Jeep - I drove the rental car out there - just take your time on the rough road. It's worth the drive and the beach is incredible. Hope to camp there sometime

f12517

Reaction score
Best meal:
Roy’s 1849

Best meal with a view:
Beach House

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Kauai is beautiful, but everything is closed by 8pm. We've tired of that a couple of times, cancelled the end of our Kauai stay and went to Oahu or Maui for some nightlife.